ADVERTISEMENT

Would this team beat last year’s team?

This IU team would have no answer for JHS. And last years Gallo was better. Do we really think this years team is going to sweep Purdue?
The key to stopping JHS was getting into him off the p-n-r. TG does that as well as just about anyone, especially guys who aren't big threats to drive (eg, JHS).

And I disagree that last year's TG was better. His 2-pt fg% and assist rate (most important offensive stats for him) are way up.

Is Purdue really different this year? I've only seen them play NW (only really enjoy watching when they're likely to lose) but they seem like pretty much the same team.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
No one could cover JHS. And the way this team guards the 3, Kopp could go off for 35 pts.

Ware vs TJD would be fun to watch.

Let’s try this again in February.
JHS shot 41.7% from the field, 33.3% from 3 and 77.6% from the line. I'm pretty sure several IU players could hold him to those #'s. They are not world beating.

Would you take race when he didn’t play for what was it, 6-7 games? Or when he came back and was a shell of himself for about 10 games? That race? I think MM is wayyyy more athletic than race
Race was a workhorse on an Amish farm in Shipshewana. Mgbako is a thoroughbred on a Pimlico racetrack in Baltimore. Crawdad, say hello to lobster.

This team has improved considerably since those first few games. If Mgbako keeps improving and Gallo starts playing consistently better they can make the tourney.
Yes, possibly but it will need to be due to an overall very poor Big Ten (maybe the worst I've ever seen).
The statistics are against them. Particularly 3pt shooting AND margin of victory.

Last years team finished tied for 2nd in the Big 10, and was a 4 seed. I would be shocked if this years team is anywhere close to that. I think last year wins, and it is not close. TJD and JHS could take the team on its shoulders on any given night. Not sure who that is on this years team.

Last years team finished tied for 2nd in the Big 10, and was a 4 seed. I would be shocked if this years team is anywhere close to that. I think last year wins, and it is not close. TJD and JHS could take the team on its shoulders on any given night. Not sure who that is on this years team.
Have you watched any games this year? I’d say Reneau and Ware have both been virtually unstoppable most of the time.

Have you watched any games this year? I’d say Reneau and Ware have both been virtually unstoppable most of the time.
Yes, and have been to 3 games. I saw us struggle against Army, Wright St, Florida Gulf Coast, and Harvard. I saw us completely overmatched against UConn. I see our net rating is 100+ (yes I know it is early). The question is, "Have you been watching the games?"

The best player on the floor would be TJD, no question. But Ware is starting to look at least as impactful as JHS, and we certainly have more depth of talent this year.

I hope Gallo fixes his shot, though. He's testing the durability of the backboard to impact by bricks, not as much as Sparks, but still...

If some G or wing can become at least as useful as Kopp was in spacing the floor, this team would become much more formidable.

Yes, and have been to 3 games. I saw us struggle against Army, Wright St, Florida Gulf Coast, and Harvard. I saw us completely overmatched against UConn. I see our net rating is 100+ (yes I know it is early). The question is, "Have you been watching the games?"
Ok, I'll play. Did you happen to catch the 2 Penn State games last year? How about Northwestern? Iowa? 0-6 against those killers. Last year's team was hardly the juggernaut you'd like to remember. I won't even bring up Arizona, Kansas, or Miami.

Where do you see this year's team finishing in the B1G? How about their seeding?

Where do you see this year's team finishing in the B1G? How about their seeding?
Interesting question as it not only depends on us, how good the league is, but also scheduling (who we play and also when we play them).

Right now the B10 is looking pretty (weak) shaky, but it is still early.

Interesting question as it not only depends on us, how good the league is, but also scheduling (who we play and also when we play them).

Right now the B10 is looking pretty (weak) shaky, but it is still early.
Exactly. I really like the idea of having opinions posted at this point in the year so we can all look back at the end and see who was more accurate. As much as I like most of what I've seen this year, it's still a crap-shoot to see where they'll end up.

Hard to say since the team was inconsistent last year. Really played poorly initially after X got hurt. But did very well for the most part once they pulled it together. Exceptions were Iowa, Miami, etc. I hope this year's team doesn't have that quit or lack of killer instinct in them. That almost seems to carry over still from the Archie days. This year's team does seem to finish better than it started.

I had a long player vs player comparison typed out... but it didn't really lead anywhere.

Lots of similarities, lots of differences. Pretty much impossible to make a comparison, at this point, though. X was still playing for last year's team at this point...that's how early we are in this season.

I like the potential of this years team over last years...so to make a wild guess, I'll say this years team likely wins.
If this year’s team continues to improve, I’d say this year team in the second half of the year would probably win. But the lack of experience of some major contributors I think gives last year’s team a little edge. A LOT of experience left.

It’s probably too early to know, but I think it’s pretty impressive what they’ve done so far and more importantly, what they can become.

I think I’d take Ware over Trayce already. Much more versatile. That’s a helluva coup for CMW.

I’d definitely take this year’s Malik over last year’s Malik.

Mackenzie over Race? Of course.

Gallo over Gallo? Probably. Especially if he starts hitting a 3 every now and then.

X over JHS? Doubtful. But there’s still hope.

Kopp? Funnier videos than this year. Edge last year, I guess.

This year’s bench over last year’s bench. Clearly.

Woody this year vs Woody last year? I think so.

Amazingly, I honestly think this year is a better team. For all the off-season hand-wringing, we have some good times ahead.
Bringing this forward by 2.5 months. Boy was I wrong. 🥹

I’ve said for years , early polls mean nothting; you don’t know what kind of team you really have until February.

Now we know.
No doubt. But the exercise here was actually revealing. Most comments were optimistic this team would continue to improve as the season progressed. Boy did we get a surprise on that one.

No doubt. But the exercise here was actually revealing. Most comments were optimistic this team would continue to improve as the season progressed. Boy did we get a surprise on that one.
That’s how it’s supposed to work. But roster construction needs to be somewhat sound. Ours is not. Cupps got fed to the wolves too soon and Gallo cannot shoot. What’s really disappointing is how our bench evolved. Our should I say…devolved.

It’ll be over in a few weeks. Then..we’ll see what happens. Or doesn’t.

That’s how it’s supposed to work. But roster construction needs to be somewhat sound. Ours is not. Cupps got fed to the wolves too soon and Gallo cannot shoot. What’s really disappointing is how our bench evolved. Our should I say…devolved.

It’ll be over in a few weeks. Then..we’ll see what happens. Or doesn’t.
Devolved is a good description. Still amazes me that Banks is stapled to the bench. Had very high hopes he’d take the sophomore leap that players used to take.

It would be very close ....
Last year - This year
TJD > Ware, but not by much. Attribute most to Sr vs. Soph. Ware is the most positive surprise to me.
Gallo > Gallo, so far. I'm assuming that won't be for long.
Reneau < Reneau. Looking much tougher, more aggressive.
JHS > Cupps/Gunn/???
Kopp < Mbako, but not by much yet. Big ceiling at this spot.

Major concern: X out last year, and not looking promising this year.
I was wrong, too. Ware and Reneau are the only bright spots, but for this exercise I still like TJD over Ware.

-- We never got good X back;
-- Mgbako still doesn't know where he's supposed to be (did you notice the timeout Galloway called yesterday? Woodson didn't call it; Gallo was just frustrated);
-- Galloway regressed the entire year (Appreciate the hustle, but he can't make FGs or FTs and turns the ball over too often); and
-- Cupps/Gunn/Banks have produced nothing.

I was a card-carrying sunshine-pumper just 3 weeks ago. I am now in the burn-it-all-down camp.
7pm Tuesday, I will be watching BTN, not Peacock (and we have Peacock).

Devolved is a good description. Still amazes me that Banks is stapled to the bench. Had very high hopes he’d take the sophomore leap that players used to take.
Banks probably said, "**** this, I'm not riskng injury before I hit the portal."

I was a card-carrying sunshine-pumper just 3 weeks ago. I am now in the burn-it-all-down camp.
Bruce Willis Reaction GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT