ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Today video

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012

Listen to that first answer..... Does that sound like a guy that thinks Mack did something really stupid or bad? Sure sounds to me that there is some stuff that will come out that paints the picture much different then what has been made public.

Cat wait to see Mack play Sunday! 48 hours!

The absolute best part of that media availability:

Q. Early on, age was something that was used against you in regards to recruiting and being able to relate to today's player. Do you think that maybe because of your NBA experience and today's player seems more mentally inclined to think like a professional has been a big help in getting and reaching these guys as successfully as you have? There's also a family aspect to recruiting; how does it feel to be about to be a grandfather probably within days?

MIKE WOODSON: Well, only you guys was worrying about the age. That was never a factor when I came in the door. I've been coaching a long time, and I'm healthy enough to coach. Mentally I'm sharp enough to coach.

I didn't have a problem coming back to Indiana. That was you guys saying that I was too old and couldn't recruit. You have to recruit some in the pros, gentlemen, when you're going after free agency, and some of the same things I'm doing now, I had to do at the pro level. You just do it on a bigger scale in terms of -- as far as the money, the money makes it bigger. So you've got to make sure that you're doing your due diligence when you're recruiting a free agent or getting ready to make a trade, that you know what the hell you're doing because you can get -- it can bite you in the butt.

It's no different than coming to college and having to deal with them. You're dealing with parents in the pros. You're dealing with their handlers in the pros and their agents. It's the same shit that I'm going through now that I did in the NBA, but you guys wouldn't know that because you weren't there.

I feel good about my position coming in. My thing was just being able to sit at the table with the best players that are out there. That's how I was -- that's the only thing I was thinking about when I came here; how can I get to the best players.

My coaching staff, they gave me their opinions about it early on saying, hey, you've got to wait your turn. Well, I didn't feel as though I had to wait my turn. Just get us to the table and let's see what happens.

We've had some pretty good success being able to recruit and talk to some of the top players. We haven't gotten them all, and you're not. You're going to win some, you're going to lose some. But hell, if you never get an opportunity to talk to the best players, it's not going to work as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being a granddaddy, I'm happy as hell. That's two weeks away, and I'm looking forward to that.

Q. Early on, age was something that was used against you in regards to recruiting and being able to relate to today's player. Do you think that maybe because of your NBA experience and today's player seems more mentally inclined to think like a professional has been a big help in getting and reaching these guys as successfully as you have? There's also a family aspect to recruiting; how does it feel to be about to be a grandfather probably within days?

MIKE WOODSON: Well, only you guys was worrying about the age. That was never a factor when I came in the door. I've been coaching a long time, and I'm healthy enough to coach. Mentally I'm sharp enough to coach.

I didn't have a problem coming back to Indiana. That was you guys saying that I was too old and couldn't recruit. You have to recruit some in the pros, gentlemen, when you're going after free agency, and some of the same things I'm doing now, I had to do at the pro level. You just do it on a bigger scale in terms of -- as far as the money, the money makes it bigger. So you've got to make sure that you're doing your due diligence when you're recruiting a free agent or getting ready to make a trade, that you know what the hell you're doing because you can get -- it can bite you in the butt.

It's no different than coming to college and having to deal with them. You're dealing with parents in the pros. You're dealing with their handlers in the pros and their agents. It's the same shit that I'm going through now that I did in the NBA, but you guys wouldn't know that because you weren't there.

I feel good about my position coming in. My thing was just being able to sit at the table with the best players that are out there. That's how I was -- that's the only thing I was thinking about when I came here; how can I get to the best players.

My coaching staff, they gave me their opinions about it early on saying, hey, you've got to wait your turn. Well, I didn't feel as though I had to wait my turn. Just get us to the table and let's see what happens.

We've had some pretty good success being able to recruit and talk to some of the top players. We haven't gotten them all, and you're not. You're going to win some, you're going to lose some. But hell, if you never get an opportunity to talk to the best players, it's not going to work as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being a granddaddy, I'm happy as hell. That's two weeks away, and I'm looking forward to that.
Pretty interesting, comparing getting players at IU to free agency and trades.

I know it’s been talked about that his successes in bringing kids in has been with last minute type of recruits, and of course tge transfers. And there have been a few comments (not really complaints, but I’ve seen it brought up) that he hadn’t shown the ability to win a recruit that started with a longer term relationship, or courtship. And, this makes sense, when reading his comments on free agency and trades.

Listen to that first answer..... Does that sound like a guy that thinks Mack did something really stupid or bad? Sure sounds to me that there is some stuff that will come out that paints the picture much different then what has been made public.

Cat wait to see Mack play Sunday! 48 hours!

I think it’s very telling that Woodson isn’t punishing Mack, and he stated so plainly.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Pretty interesting, comparing getting players at IU to free agency and trades.

I know it’s been talked about that his successes in bringing kids in has been with last minute type of recruits, and of course tge transfers. And there have been a few comments (not really complaints, but I’ve seen it brought up) that he hadn’t shown the ability to win a recruit that started with a longer term relationship, or courtship. And, this makes sense, when reading his comments on free agency and trades.
I think another aspect to that is the staff wasn't getting involved with those high profile kids at the beginning because they didn't think we belonged in those recruiting battles. We were constantly flying in intercept mode and playing catch up. I'm really curious how it starts going now that we're involved with top 25-30 kids from the very beginning and building those relationships from the ground up.

I think another aspect to that is the staff wasn't getting involved with those high profile kids at the beginning because they didn't think we belonged in those recruiting battles. We were constantly flying in intercept mode and playing catch up. I'm really curious how it starts going now that we're involved with top 25-30 kids from the very beginning and building those relationships from the ground up.
Good point, and I wasn’t trying to say he couldn’t foster longer relationships or couldn’t adapt. But, getting a free agent requires a certain type of sales job, which he has shown he’s good at.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

That was one damn fine answer. Is there anybody out there these days who doesn’t feel that Mike Woodson is THE GUY?

Or that he has dealt with it internally in a way he deemed appropriate and considers the matter closed.
No chance he deemed it serious. He sat 4 dudes for NW because they “supposedly” smoked weed. If he deemed this was bad at all no way he is playing tomorrow.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
No chance he deemed it serious. He sat 4 dudes for NW because they “supposedly” smoked weed. If he deemed this was bad at all no way he is playing tomorrow.
Stealth edit.....

He's said the entire time he's been here that they'll keep that stuff in house. I'm sure it's already been dealt with in the way Woody feels is appropriate and we'll never know what that was. Glad to hear him say it's behind us and we're moving forward.

Don’t you think that he dealt with this kind of shit a lot while he was an assistant coach in the nba? The team gets a late night call some knucklehead got in trouble with some small b.s., coach gets call past midnight, sends an assistant that has a good rep with the players……I’m sure all teams in all sports have this person and if you don’t think we did, go back and watch the interview with pat knight in another thread when he talks about leaving the program and who talks him down

if CMW thinks smoking weed is worse than acting like an idiot in public to the point that police had to break the car window, then Woodson has some serious priority issues.

real leaders should realize the best thing that could happen is for society to transition from alcohol and everything else to pot as the drug of choice.

as for the Taco Bell incident, if there was some other story as to what happened, i'm guessing it would have already come out.

the making pathetic excuses for bad behavior thing because it involved a bball player, has jumped the shark.

Last edited:
What is kind of in a tough spot in that he has to discipline a five star player while he's trying to sign a five-star recruit the very same day.

you are guessing wrong. 100% more info. We shall see what becomes public info, I would assume not much.

let me guess.

the drive up at Taco Bell is really like the dressing room in Kingsman, The Secret Service, and MM was just trying to check in for service to country, when the Btown police showed up and not realizing that the TB drive up was really a front for our nation's top secret spies' headquarters, almost exposed everything.

wow, now that i know the real story, i feel so foolish.

obviously, MM was just trying to serve his country when the BPD almost spilled the beans on our top secret national defense project.

so the "REAL" story totally exonerates MM, but for national security reasons will be kept totally secret.

got it.;)
The real story would make you wanna fight the Taco Bell employees. I’ve heard about 20 times on here how could anyone get so mad at a Taco Bell? Of course none of those people have talked to anyone, and just read the public information that was given by the police.

If the video is ever leaked you will change your tune. Woody has seen the video, and Mack was not punished. I promise you, Woody isn’t a softy. If he thought it was an act that deserved any sort of punishment it would be a no brainer to sit him out. He didn’t, at all, and is not to happy about how it went down.

I would wager he doesn’t speak on it and nothing more comes of it. He doesn’t want any distractions and wants to focus on bball.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
The real story would make you wanna fight the Taco Bell employees. I’ve heard about 20 times on here how could anyone get so mad at a Taco Bell? Of course none of those people have talked to anyone, and just read the public information that was given by the police.

If the video is ever leaked you will change your tune. Woody has seen the video, and Mack was not punished. I promise you, Woody isn’t a softy. If he thought it was an act that deserved any sort of punishment it would be a no brainer to sit him out. He didn’t, at all, and is not to happy about how it went down.

I would wager he doesn’t speak on it and nothing more comes of it. He doesn’t want any distractions and wants to focus on bball.
If you know something specific let’s hear it…

if CMW thinks smoking weed is worse than acting like an idiot in public to the point that police had to break the car window, then Woodson has some serious priority issues.

real leaders should realize the best thing that could happen is for society to transition from alcohol and everything else to pot as the drug of choice.

as for the Taco Bell incident, if there was some other story as to what happened, i'm guessing it would have already come out.

the making pathetic excuses for bad behavior thing because it involved a bball player, has jumped the shark.
I'd imagine in both cases, it's less about CMW's "beliefs" on certain issues, than the breaking of a team rule. CMW played and coached in the NBA, he's been around weed for a long time, and I doubt he thinks it's "wrong" or any big deal. BUT, especially at the college level, it could get a player in trouble and impact the team and it's success, so gotta make it off-limits regardless of his personal beliefs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh
I'd imagine in both cases, it's less about CMW's "beliefs" on certain issues, than the breaking of a team rule. CMW played and coached in the NBA, he's been around weed for a long time, and I doubt he thinks it's "wrong" or any big deal, BUT it could get a player in trouble and impact the team and it's success, so gotta make it off-limits regardless of his personal beliefs.
You should of heard how he felt when the tests came back negative! Well, Fife isn't a coach anymore, so there's that.

You should of heard how he felt when the tests came back negative! Well, Fife isn't a coach anymore, so there's that.
I thought it was a late/curfew type thing anyway. Didn't even recall it was weed.

I thought it was a late/curfew type thing anyway. Didn't even recall it was weed.
They told the public it was curfew (crazy how that information to the public is completely different from actual events). What actually happened was Fife saw them out of the rooms (in the hotel) after curfew and accused them of getting high. Woody suspended them because Fife told them they were high the night before. When they got back to town all took drug tests. Results were negative.

But going on the public reports. How would it make any sense that Woody would suspend 5 players in a B1G game for curfew, but would not suspend a player for an exhibition game while getting arrested, booked into jail, while having his car window smashed in and being forcibly removed?

Typing that made me laugh.

They told the public it was curfew (crazy how that information to the public is completely different from actual events). What actually happened was Fife saw them out of the rooms (in the hotel) after curfew and accused them of getting high. Woody suspended them because Fife told them they were high the night before. When they got back to town all took drug tests. Results were negative.
Fife was the messenger….someone currently on staff told Fife.

Was it you that argued with me about Ya? I asked parents and players of those involved, only mentioned Fife. I never once heard his name.
I don’t think we argued about it. We were in agreement that Fife was in the wrong when he was bloviating to Rabby about the problem prior to his official firing. We received different information about how this incident went down. The way I remember we left it was that you had access to one of Fife’s good friends and that you would ask him. I told a poster on here that I respect…that I would not say anything negative about the person involved going forward, and I’ve kept my word

I don’t think we argued about it. We were in agreement that Fife was in the wrong when he was bloviating to Rabby about the problem prior to his official firing. We received different information about how this incident went down. The way I remember we left it was that you had access to one of Fife’s good friends and that you would ask him. I told a poster on here that I respect…that I would not say anything negative about the person involved going forward, and I’ve kept my word
I haven't seen Fifes friend since. I will ask him when I see him, probably see him during the season if he goes to games. He was boycotting after Fife got fired lol.

Reactions: Spartans9312
let me guess.

the drive up at Taco Bell is really like the dressing room in Kingsman, The Secret Service, and MM was just trying to check in for service to country, when the Btown police showed up and not realizing that the TB drive up was really a front for our nation's top secret spies' headquarters, almost exposed everything.

wow, now that i know the real story, i feel so foolish.

obviously, MM was just trying to serve his country when the BPD almost spilled the beans on our top secret national defense project.

Putting out the real story, I’m guessing, would likely be seen as disparaging either Taco Bell employees, the Bloomington police, or both . DA Dakich already planted that seed. I don’t know why it’s so hard for you to understand there are two sides to a story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT