ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Hysterics

Two spoiled egocentric grifting nobodies who think they are somebodies just had their revenue stream shut off. They are now trying to squeeze as much fan support out of this so the revenue stream can still remain a trickle.
Thanks for the summary.
My sum up (having not listened to the podcast, having no idea who these people are, and just based on the forum comments)
1. The HH people have alienated a large portion of what had been their base.
2. Woodson’s comments continue to show a side of his personality (the happy cigar picture after a loss, the true fans comments, the players under the bus comments, etc) that to some of us suggest an undeserved arrogance.

Sum ups seem easy when you have no knowledge.

Thanks for the summary.
My sum up (having not listened to the podcast, having no idea who these people are, and just based on the forum comments)
2. Woodson’s comments continue to show a side of his personality (the happy cigar picture after a loss, the true fans comments, the players under the bus comments, etc) that to some of us suggest an undeserved arrogance.

Fans are embarrassed by some of the owners. Still, we have players being paid big checks because of these boosters. Isn’t it fair to say without them we may have had players sign elsewhere?

Like them or not, they are as much a part of IU basketball as anyone.

Thanks for the summary.

your opinion

Reactions: Jssanto
Fans are embarrassed by some of the owners. Still, we have players being paid big checks because of these boosters. Isn’t it fair to say without them we may have had players sign elsewhere?

Like them or not, they are as much a part of IU basketball as anyone.
I doubt anyone can say that for sure. As I've said all along, the AD needs an NIL coordinator to keep track of things. I believe you could do it privately, but it would be nice if fans could go somewhere and see who are "university authorized" NILs, meaning the AD is helping coordinate events and insuring they are adhering to U standards for transparency, fund-raising, etc... I thought that as soon as I heard they'd started their own collective. I believe they are trying to help but it would be wise for the U to keep tabs on these, especially ones coordinating with coaches, etc... for events.

Reactions: .Gerdis
The podcast
Can you sum up?
Two podcasters were given inside access to the program b/c they did NIL stuff. Woodson flexed b/c they had Brian Evans on their podcast last year who was critical of Woodson's coaching.

Woodson told the podcasters and Dolson that he decides how long he coaches at IU. And he took a shot at Dane Fife.

Reactions: Indymoon
The podcast

Two podcasters were given inside access to the program b/c they did NIL stuff. Woodson flexed b/c they had Brian Evans on their podcast last year who was critical of Woodson's coaching.

Woodson told the podcasters and Dolson that he decides how long he coaches at IU. And he took a shot at Dane Fife.
you mean Dan Fife?

Never a dull moment in the life of a Hoosier bball fan!

I doubt anyone can say that for sure. As I've said all along, the AD needs an NIL coordinator to keep track of things. I believe you could do it privately, but it would be nice if fans could go somewhere and see who are "university authorized" NILs, meaning the AD is helping coordinate events and insuring they are adhering to U standards for transparency, fund-raising, etc... I thought that as soon as I heard they'd started their own collective. I believe they are trying to help but it would be wise for the U to keep tabs on these, especially ones coordinating with coaches, etc... for events.
Agreed, but from what I heard here, IU was trying to be ahead of the curve, and really embrace what the boosters were trying to do. With that comes risks and a downside.

In other words, one could take a very cautious approach and try to carefully navigate things slowly. Or, be aggressive, push the envelope and embrace NIL, especially as it was basically the wild Wild West.

IU chose the later. I’m guessing the boosters were lurking in the shadows for decades, and when NIL went down it was a chance for them to grab power and access.

In other words, I think IU saw it as a giant unregulated money grab, and the safest thing was to turn their heads and let the money pour in.

Perhaps now that there is so much money that the program can afford to be more selective in who they allow to get involved?

Agreed, but from what I heard here, IU was trying to be ahead of the curve, and really embrace what the boosters were trying to do. With that comes risks and a downside.

In other words, one could take a very cautious approach and try to carefully navigate things slowly. Or, be aggressive, push the envelope and embrace NIL, especially as it was basically the wild Wild West.

IU chose the later. I’m guessing the boosters were lurking in the shadows for decades, and when NIL went down it was a chance for them to grab power and access.

In other words, I think IU saw it as a giant unregulated money grab, and the safest thing was to turn their heads and let the money pour in.

Perhaps now that there is so much money that the program can afford to be more selective in who they allow to get involved?

Can IU do ANYTHING about these collectives? I thought the NIL funds had to be totally separate from the university.

Woody might have cut off the inside access that these two guys had because he had his feelings hurt but he can't do anything about them contacting the players and still making deals with them, can he?

Can IU do ANYTHING about these collectives? I thought the NIL funds had to be totally separate from the university.

Woody might have cut off the inside access that these two guys had because he had his feelings hurt but he can't do anything about them contacting the players and still making deals with them, can he?
I’m not certain.

In a post a while ago @Cavanagh mentioned meeting with IU compliance to make sure an NIL agreement was above board. If an individual can liaise with IU compliance, one would assume that there would be strict compliance over a collective.

So much of this is common sense. Under NIL a player can be paid by anyone, but not the university (except for scholarship, etc.). But, the university and its employees still have their hands deep in the process. When IU has a player accept a million dollar offer, obviously the staff and university are involved. Of course they would have to have some level of oversight and control. If the money was coming from a cartel, don’t you think they should know? It shouldn’t be up to people on this message board to check tax documents and tax exempt status of a collective.

Nobody came out looking good from this. Those guys are vindictive goofballs, but Woody lacks any level of self awareness or even sense of reality. His ego is writing checks his record does not support.

The lack of respect he showed towards the AD was alarming, especially given his lack of winning in any meaningful way.

How in the world can you know this for a fact. This entire story is coming from THEIR side. You think they are going to be charitable or fair in any way? Hell no.
Both Woody and Dolson will not correct the record with another perspective on this issue, and rightfully so. These guys will fall into irrelevance, and the program will continue.

How in the world can you know this for a fact. This entire story is coming from THEIR side. You think they are going to be charitable or fair in any way? Hell no.
Both Woody and Dolson will not correct the record with another perspective on this issue, and rightfully so. These guys will fall into irrelevance, and the program will continue.
Fair enough, but based on Woody's behavior, would it all surprise you? Other than big donors stepping up to save our recruiting, has Woody shown either the basketball acumen or hard work in recruiting to warrant his ego?

Fair enough, but based on Woody's behavior, would it all surprise you? Other than big donors stepping up to save our recruiting, has Woody shown either the basketball acumen or hard work in recruiting to warrant his ego?

I don’t share the woody hate that a few have around here, so yeah, it would surprise me. And yes, the guy is going to have an out sized ego. I expect nothing less from any coach in his position.

That’s what the HH guy said-that Dolson was there but didn't say anything.
Yeah, I believe Dolson was there, I just am not ready to say it's fact based on what Eric decides to say a month after the fact. I'm sure the meeting was held, and I'm sure he, Woody and SD were present, but I'm not sure what he related was accurate.

Yeah, I believe Dolson was there, I just am not ready to say it's fact based on what Eric decides to say a month after the fact. I'm sure the meeting was held, and I'm sure he, Woody and SD were present, but I'm not sure what he related was accurate.

I completely agree with you. You cant rely on their word for what was said in this meeting, especially with Dolson in attendance. There’s no way Woodson said (paraphrasing) “I’m here for as long as I wanna be….” with Dolson there. No way.

I appreciate all of what everyone has to say on here and that's why I was vague and held back my opinion.

If indeed it was a 100% accurate account of Woodys choice of words and in correct context, it was the closest he's been to resembling Coach Knight during his tenure. Now hopefully we'll see it on the court.

I've said this before. Mid-January this year the heavy wallets had a meeting with Woody and Dolson and a list of expectations came with the doubling of NIL. It was just before the "we gotta get more talent" press conference.

I find Woodys assessment of his accomplishments bold. I think he was trying to win a situation with a Podcaster that probably has an inflated sense of importance. It was ultimately really really petty 9n his part. He should be above that.

Testament to the heat on his seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT