ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson’s offense

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Does Woodys offense even run plays for three point shots? Seems like we only get 3 point shots by accident or maybe a good skip pass.

Nope. Just predictable passes to the post with no movement on offense.

Maybe a PG who could pass and shoot would help. We don’t have one who can do either of those things well.

Nope. Just predictable passes to the post with no movement on offense.

Maybe a PG who could pass and shoot would help. We don’t have one who can do either of those things well.
Yep. It is pretty much all post, bad guards try to penetrate against a packed lane, ball screens, some zoom action. Woody obviously doesn't know how to recruit for the system he runs, and it isn't much of an offense, anyways.

Kopp would basically hang out in the corner and was an afterthought until penetration and help opened him up. Shooting just isn't very important to Woody, which is strange and producing obvious poor results.

GTiWEs.gif
Watching practice videos now will get back to u..

Woody obviously doesn't know how to recruit for the system he runs, and it isn't much of an offense, anyways.

Kopp would basically hang out in the corner and was an afterthought until penetration and help opened him up. Shooting just isn't very important to Woody, which is strange and producing obvious poor results.
None of this is remotely true ...

You still wanting validation? You say enough dumb shit to offset that and I just showed you they run a play with an off ball screen. Now shit the f up.

Woodson has some nice sets. A few repeat game to game as far as I observe. My preference is to run something continuously so that they get comfortable and get better at timing things. I still prefer a lot more movement without the ball and they need better execution, especially with screens and cutting-just way to lax on those.
But if they had better outside shooting, better defense, and better rebounding and free throw shooting, we'd all be fine with the offense.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Does Woodys offense even run plays for three point shots? Seems like we only get 3 point shots by accident or maybe a good skip pass.
With Ware, MR, and MM on the court, we should be running with MM running fastest. Get it down low fast, kick out for wide open 3, MM plays of a screen or backdoor cut. We don't need to hit most of the threes to be a good team, the problem I have is that it isn't even used as a threat.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Saw some wrinkles tonight, to more creatively get Malik the ball on the block that personally hadn’t noticed before. Which is nice.

At this point, Woody is trying to win games with this group. Completely 180ing and running tons of wide open sets to get Trey and Mack shots on the perimeter just isn’t feasible.

I’d be fine if he did that. In an attempt to market to potential HS recruits and portal recruits that he realizes the need to change. But he isn’t gonna do that mid season.

We are who he built and created. And until he commits himself, his staff, and his recruiting efforts to changing it, it is what it is.

Woodson has some nice sets. A few repeat game to game as far as I observe. My preference is to run something continuously so that they get comfortable and get better at timing things. I still prefer a lot more movement without the ball and they need better execution, especially with screens and cutting-just way to lax on those.
But if they had better outside shooting, better defense, and better rebounding and free throw shooting, we'd all be fine with the offense.
Better coaching and better recruiting you can add too lol

This is pretty much what I saw today with Reneau.. Looks like Mike Woodson stole the blender from the Tropics.

anyone recall the ‘83-‘84 season, when iu lost 83% of their scoring from the year prior’s (Kitchell, Wittman, J Thomas, T Brown and Bouchie) BT champion team?

Coach Knight knew he needed to score the ball because the likes of Dakich, Blab, Winston Morgan, Courtney Witte, Stew Robinson, Giomi and Franz weren’t going to do much of that. But, he had 2 bad defensive/great offensive weapons in Steve Alford and Marty Simmons. He basically made those 2 frosh the focal point of the O from day 1. Then as teams geared to stop them, the above guys scored and rebounded enough to get IU to a surprising 13-5 league record.

We know Woody is no Coach Knight, but for god’s sake, when you have a weapon like Mgbako, who’s strong suit is big time shooter, can he occasionally draw up something, ANYTHING to get the guy some open looks?!?!?!?

Reactions: GThomas
anyone recall the ‘83-‘84 season, when iu lost 83% of their scoring from the year prior’s (Kitchell, Wittman, J Thomas, T Brown and Bouchie) BT champion team?

Coach Knight knew he needed to score the ball because the likes of Dakich, Blab, Winston Morgan, Courtney Witte, Stew Robinson, Giomi and Franz weren’t going to do much of that. But, he had 2 bad defensive/great offensive weapons in Steve Alford and Marty Simmons. He basically made those 2 frosh the focal point of the O from day 1. Then as teams geared to stop them, the above guys scored and rebounded enough to get IU to a surprising 13-5 league record.

We know Woody is no Coach Knight, but for god’s sake, when you have a weapon like Mgbako, who’s strong suit is big time shooter, can he occasionally draw up something, ANYTHING to get the guy some open looks?!?!?!?
This is where a good coach earns his money and shows why he is a good coach: he finds a way to win with what he's got and makes adjustments. However, I think Woody is stubborn and/or incapable of doing this.

Purdue has a very good offense.

Offensive Efficiency​

Alabama 1
UCONN 2
Purdue 3rd
Indiana State is 17 wow.

Ole Miss and Chris Beard 84
Dusty May and FIU 12
Bruce Pearl and Auburn 14

Thad Matta Butler 58
IPFW 128
Ball State Michael Lewis 141
Indiana is 168th
Rhode Island Archie Miller 187

I just wish Woody thought about running more 3pt plays or something new for perimeter guys. Something geez

MM as a shooter so far: 2 point shot-40.6% 3 point shot-32.9% Not really that good 5*****?
TG as a shooter so far: 46.7% OK 28.4% Not really that good Senior???
TG final stats last year 47.8 % OK 46.2% Great We miss this
MM isnt as great as people make him out to be. TG has gone the wrong direction. Run screens to get them open but someone has to get better at shooting the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT