ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ramsey stay?.....

I would think he would decide within the next 2 weeks.
Needs to see his options concerning other schools before making a decision I would assume.
I’m sure he’s already been contacted by others.
Is it within NCAA rules to contact a player before he enters the transfer portal?

Reactions: Chriselli
Has he graduated yet or will he in spring? He can’t transfer until he graduates so I’m sure he goes through spring ball and makes a decision after that. No way he would enter the portal before and not be able to go through spring, if in fact he’s yet to graduate.

For those that say Ramsey was running for his life and Penix would have gotten killed... Check out the sacks with the same offensive line. Penix gets gets the rock out quickly and puts on the receiver quickly enough to get some YAC.

I think Ramsey follows Deboer to Fresno. Hope not but wouldn’t surprise me given the staff’s QB decision in August.

GO HOOSIERS!!
It was DeBoer's call to start Penix. He was the OC.

I can Peyton going to FSU, but not because he was not picked to start.

For those that say Ramsey was running for his life and Penix would have gotten killed... Check out the sacks with the same offensive line. Penix gets gets the rock out quickly and puts on the receiver quickly enough to get some YAC.
Except it wasn't the same O-line.

Reactions: red hornet
How was it different?

When Penix went down for the year, he and Ramsey had virtually the same attempts, yards, rating, etc.

Ramsey had been sacked 11 times. Penix had been sacked once.
You know the injuries we had on the OL after Penix went down.

You can admit that and still like Penix better. But you don't need to make statements that aren't true.

Penix has not stayed healthy enough to know just how good he is in my opinion.
It’s not his fault that he gets hurt but no one can deny that we would have been in a world of hurt without Ramsey this year.
He has taken hits that I thought there was no way he would get up from.
If he has played his last game for us he needs to be commended for the way he handled this season.
He’s a high character kid who has gotten more out of his ability than any kid who’s worn an IU uniform.
He will go down as one of my favorites and I wish him nothing but the best.
I think he would make a helluva coach in the future.

Ramsey got hit in the Bucket game really hard several times. One time in particular, he was hit hard and spun around. I was amazed he got up. He was obviously hit hard out in Nebraska a few times, too. The one to his sternum should've been a personal foul.

I personally don't think Penix can take those hits. Why that it is, I have no answer. In the end, it means Tom Allen has one hell of a recruiting job to do with Ramsey!!!

You know the injuries we had on the OL after Penix went down.

You can admit that and still like Penix better. But you don't need to make statements that aren't true.
The offensive line actually improved as the season went on. Cronk is a good player, but we actually improved without him for whatever reason.

The offensive line actually improved as the season went on. Cronk is a good player, but we actually improved without him for whatever reason.
Good point, and it surprised me. Cronk would be an excellent guard for IU. I highly doubt he could beat out Jones or Bedford for one of the tackle jobs at this point.

Those guys gained so much experience and Jones routinely allowed Ramsey to score on QB keepers from the one or two yard line because of his ability to smash the dline and often wash the ends/DT out of the play.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I don't think the OLine improved much - any OLine should improve as the year goes on anyway. And my point was, we had many injuries after Penix went down, so the OLine wasn't the one that started the season with Penix.

IF the OLine improved - and I'm not saying it did, but for the sake of argument, let's say it did - it takes time for the entire offense to get used to a new OC. Hopefully, after the O$U fiasco, they had some time to see what they need to improve on and did improve.

You sure couldn't tell it by our running game. It was weak all year.

The original point I was arguing is the notion that somehow it's Ramsey's fault he's sacked so much. I don't think any objective person watching that Tennessee game would agree with that.

Did we play the same teams too?
Well no, and that's my point. Comparisons of performance of the OLine at the beginning of the season and the end are rather subjective.

Fact is, we had injuries and we certainly weren't playing with the same OLine we did at the beginning of the season when Penix started.

It seems to me that CTA has always been 'fonder' of PR than of MP. Because of that, and because this is IU football we're talking about, I could definitely see that happening.

giphy.gif

I can’t believe that this post is real. CTA closed harder on Penix than any other recruit in his short tenure as HC. He basically took his entire coaching staff to his house in FL for their final in-home visit. Then he went ahead and started him over his returning 2 year starter, Ramsey. Penix will be our starter next year and we all hope Ramsey stays to back him up.

Last edited:
Well no, and that's my point. Comparisons of performance of the OLine at the beginning of the season and the end are rather subjective.

Fact is, we had injuries and we certainly weren't playing with the same OLine we did at the beginning of the season when Penix started.
I don’t understand why others don’t understand that they did not understand this .

Reactions: DANC
This thread is full of some crazy talk. Penix is better and he’s going to start next year. He’s also going to be 100% for spring ball, so whoever posted that drivel about Ramsey being the starter going into fall camp is clueless. The thing that makes me laugh the most is the fact that so many people are quick to call Penix injury prone and Ramsey a warrior. Ramsey is a warrior NOW, but he also got hurt as a RS FR, and missed the 2nd half of that season. The jury is still out on Penix not being able to hold up to a full season, but he’s about to go through his 3rd offseason at IU and I expect to see him become more durable as he gets older and stronger, just like Ramsey. Finally, Tuttle is a stud and will be a great backup for Penix. I’d love it if Ramsey stayed, but I just don’t see him willing to be a backup for his final season of football. There’s no chance he’s playing on Sunday, so this is it for him.

This thread is full of some crazy talk. Penix is better and he’s going to start next year. He’s also going to be 100% for spring ball, so whoever posted that drivel about Ramsey being the starter going into fall camp is clueless. The thing that makes me laugh the most is the fact that so many people are quick to call Penix injury prone and Ramsey a warrior. Ramsey is a warrior NOW, but he also got hurt as a RS FR, and missed the 2nd half of that season. The jury is still out on Penix not being able to hold up to a full season, but he’s about to go through his 3rd offseason at IU and I expect to see him become more durable as he gets older and stronger, just like Ramsey. Finally, Tuttle is a stud and will be a great backup for Penix. I’d love it if Ramsey stayed, but I just don’t see him willing to be a backup for his final season of football. There’s no chance he’s playing on Sunday, so this is it for him.

I am the one who said he is going to have to be beaten out next year as the starting QB. Would like to think I could post an opinion without it being referred to as drivel and clueless. I am in my mid 80's sonny and can easily get hurt feelings. If I can get out of my recliner, I just might punch you in the nose.

I am the one who said he is going to have to be beaten out next year as the starting QB. Would like to think I could post an opinion without it being referred to as drivel and clueless. I am in my mid 80's sonny and can easily get hurt feelings. If I can get out of my recliner, I just might punch you in the nose.

Well man, I certainly didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and I appreciate anyone in their 80’s being on a message board. My dad is in his 70’s and would never get onto a message board. That said, I strongly disagree with your opinion, but I’d like to do it in the most respectful way possible. Penix will be at 100% for spring ball and I believe that you never lose your job due to injury. If somehow Ramsey beats him out then so be it, but I think we’ve all seen enough of the two play to be able to determine that Penix has a superior skill set. You can still punch me in the nose though. I deserve it.

Well man, I certainly didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and I appreciate anyone in their 80’s being on a message board. My dad is in his 70’s and would never get onto a message board. That said, I strongly disagree with your opinion, but I’d like to do it in the most respectful way possible. Penix will be at 100% for spring ball and I believe that you never lose your job due to injury. If somehow Ramsey beats him out then so be it, but I think we’ve all seen enough of the two play to be able to determine that Penix has a superior skill set. You can still punch me in the nose though. I deserve it.
How can you be so sure Penix will be 100% by spring practice?

I don't think it's likely, but maybe you have some inside info?

How can you be so sure Penix will be 100% by spring practice?

I don't think it's likely, but maybe you have some inside info?

It was announced that he’d be back and ready to go for spring ball after his successful surgery.

It was announced that he’d be back and ready to go for spring ball after his successful surgery.
That's what might have been announced. But there's no certainty it will happen and any surgery like that is going to limit his throwing motion for a while.

I hope he's back 100%, but I don't want to see him in Spring Ball until he is 100%. He could easily set his rehab back if he tries to come back too soon.

That's what might have been announced. But there's no certainty it will happen and any surgery like that is going to limit his throwing motion for a while.

I hope he's back 100%, but I don't want to see him in Spring Ball until he is 100%. He could easily set his rehab back if he tries to come back too soon.

Pretty sure it was his non-throwing shoulder.

No knock on Redbeard whose posts I enjoy, but this is hands down the best post of the new year. Well done, walkerman!

It wasn't his shoulder

You serious Clark?!?!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537258/

lt’s the freaking “joint that serves as the primary skeletal connection between the axial skeleton and the upper limb.”

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-michael-penix-out-for-year-collarbone

It was his non-throwing sternoclavicular joint as well.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/11/penix-should-be-full-bore-by-spring/

Like I said, 100% by spring.

You serious Clark?!?!

lt’s the freaking “joint that serves as the primary skeletal connection between the axial skeleton and the upper limb.”

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-michael-penix-out-for-year-collarbone

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/11/penix-should-be-full-bore-by-spring/

"
BREAKING: Indiana QB Michael Penix Jr. Out For Year after Surgery on Clavicle"

Not sure if you know the difference between a clavicle or a shoulder, but they're not the same.

Allen said he 'should be full bore". Note the word 'should'.

Hopefully you're right!

"
BREAKING: Indiana QB Michael Penix Jr. Out For Year after Surgery on Clavicle"

Not sure if you know the difference between a clavicle or a shoulder, but they're not the same.

Allen said he 'should be full bore". Note the word 'should'.

Hopefully you're right!

Wow. You were serious. :rolleyes: Unreal. He didn’t hurt his clavicle. He hurt the sternoclavicular joint that connects the clavicle to the arm. I can’t believe I’m typing this to you.

Wow. You were serious. :rolleyes: Unreal. He didn’t hurt his clavicle. He hurt the sternoclavicular joint that connects the clavicle to the arm. I can’t believe I’m typing this to you.
It was the headline of a link you posted.

Sorry if you don't believe your own information.

But, as you noted, it's not a shouder.

You serious Clark?!?!

https://boneandspine.com/sternoclavicular-joint-injury/

Scroll down a little and look at the picture that shows a sternoclavicular joint injury. It's not a shoulder injury.

Maybe Payton Ramsey will leave college early and enter the NFL draft. It makes as much sense as any of these other ideas. I’m being kind.

Had someone who has a kid on the team tell me he thinks PR will transfer. I don't believe it until PR says it but I do think MP should start. I got a lot of info? from a former player and current parent.
The post game radio show indicated they expected him back. They probably wouldn't say otherwise unless there was an official announcement.

Fischer interviewed Cronk and there doesn't seem to be any chance of his return.

Your opinion is fine to have. If you have seen the two play in person, it is easy to see why Penix will start. Ramsey is a good QB with good accuracy and good decision making. Penix has that as well and a quicker release and stronger arm. I have seen him under pressure flip the ball downfield and out of play without taking a step and winding up for the throw. His ability and talent is rare and special.

Spot on Bud. When I watch Penix in person he reminds me so much of the many, many B1G QB's who have come into Memorial Stadium and kicked IU's butt over the years. Having said that, I was present at The Gator Bowl and particularly for his effort in that game I will forever remember Ramsey as having the heart of a lion. A great representative for IU. As I've posted already, I would like to see Coach Allen keep Ramsey by finding a way to get him on the field in games next year AND keep MP at QB.

I don’t think Ramsey is 100% motivated by having to start his last year. He is so comfortable at IU and now a beloved figure. He wants to be a coach, and his entire experience and preparation whether starting or not helps him. Until I see it is his decision to leave, I don’t see it happening. He’s an IU man to the core.

Ramsey is a good enough athlete that he can see the field running a wildcat at wideout,and reverses,etc.
It would give opponents one more thing to prepare for when playing us and that’s a good thing.

Penix has not stayed healthy enough to know just how good he is in my opinion.
It’s not his fault that he gets hurt but no one can deny that we would have been in a world of hurt without Ramsey this year.
He has taken hits that I thought there was no way he would get up from.
If he has played his last game for us he needs to be commended for the way he handled this season.
He’s a high character kid who has gotten more out of his ability than any kid who’s worn an IU uniform.
He will go down as one of my favorites and I wish him nothing but the best.
I think he would make a helluva coach in the future.
I agree with your post Mac but I just wonder say we don't have Ramsey, I just wonder how Tuttle would have done. Of course we will never know but from what I've heard Tuttle is faster and does have a stronger arm than Ramsey but Ramsey is super tough and has a winner's mentality.

Reactions: CC Mac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT