ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ramsey stay?.....

Funny.

You're the one that still can't comprehend that the Michigan, Penn State, and Purdue games have nothing to do with this comparison.

Take a stab, Grandpa. Tell me how Penix benefited from a better line than Ramsey through the first 9 games of the season.
I am not really sure what your argument is. It has little to do with offensive line play. It has a lot to do with who the defensive units were. Are you telling me that Penix faced defenses of the same prowess as Ramsey did? As far the games that they shared time in who do you think got the most attention during the week? Who do you think received the most reps in practice during the week ? Who do you think the game plan was tailored to fit? Also do you not think that maybe the situations in those games had changed? For instance in the Rutgers game they were protecting a lead hence more runs on first and second and then trying to throw the ball in obvious passing situations is going allow for more designed pressures.

You are wrong also. The sternoclavicular joint connects the sternum, the breastbone, to the clavicle, the collarbone. The shoulder joint is intact. It takes tremendous force to disrupt the sternoclavicular joint because it is relatively immobile. Healing from this repair is iffy. Youth is on Penix's side. Hope Ramsey stays because think he will play more football next year than Penix will.

Penix was swinging a driver last week so I think he is healing ok

Ramsey started over the freshman because freshman. But that was changing by the PSU game when Penix went down. I'm 100% convinced Penix would have been the starting QB from that point forward. It's also why no one was surprised when Penix won the job this past fall.
So you are saying that the only reason Ramsey was the starter was because he was a freshman? Also unless you are on the staff or in meetings you have no way of knowing that. Just because you believe that it does not make it so. I would have thought based on arm talent alone that Penix would have been the starter. But as you know there is a lot more goes into that decision making one thing that is a really small factor is the class the two players are in.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Games Ramsey played the whole game:

Ohio State - #1 ranked defense - 5 sacks
UConn - #116 - 1 sack
Nebraska - #64 - 2 sacks

60.3 average def ranking
2.66 sacks per game

Games Penix played the whole game:

Ball State - #91 - 0 sacks
Michigan State - #18 - 1 sack

54.5 avg def ranking
0.5 sacks per game

Games they both played where a sack was recorded (Maryland, NW):

Ramsey 3 sacks, Penix 0. Penix also passed for more yards in both of these games.

So as I said, OSU was a bit of a statistical outlier, but Penix was still sacked much less, with equal attempts, against similar ranked defenses on average.

Games Ramsey played the whole game:

Ohio State - #1 ranked defense - 5 sacks
UConn - #116 - 1 sack
Nebraska - #64 - 2 sacks

60.3 average def ranking
2.66 sacks per game

Games Penix played the whole game:

Ball State - #91 - 0 sacks
Michigan State - #18 - 1 sack

54.5 avg def ranking
0.5 sacks per game

Games they both played where a sack was recorded (Maryland, NW):

Ramsey 3 sacks, Penix 0. Penix also passed for more yards in both of these games.

So as I said, OSU was a bit of a statistical outlier, but Penix was still sacked much less, with equal attempts, against similar ranked defenses on average.
I still don’t know what your point is. Don’t know what this proves.

Reactions: DANC
giphy.gif

Ramsey:

If Ramsey was going to leave, he would have gone through Senior Day and told the coaching world he was available for a 5th year transfer deal. He didn't, and not one single fact or public comment from him has indicated he will transfer. Not. One.

Ramsey says he wants to teach and coach. I believe him. Thus, I think the most likely scenario is that he will graduate, then play 2020 (his 4th and final year of eligibility) at IU on a scholarship he uses to pursue his Master's degree, which all teachers must eventually get anyway. Then, even if he plays No. 2 to Penix, he gets his Master's degree paid for. (He could graduate and just go start teaching/coaching, but why do that when you can get more of your education paid for?) He will also play under his 4th OC/system (2016 Redshirt - Wilson/Johns; 2017 FR and 2018 SO - Allen/DeBord; 2019 JR - Allen/DeBoer; 2020 Allen/???) and continue to learn a lot more about football.

I think if he wants to, he can make a roster in the NFL, especially if he can be an undrafted free agent who can contact all teams. He'd be a great pick up for a team that needs a solid back up or No. 3 and doesn't have much cap space. But I don't think he wants that - he wants to teach and coach.

IU Program QB Future:

Next year's starting QB will be publicly named Saturday, September 5, 2020.

Penix and Ramsey will take nearly equal snaps in practice until time to prepare for the Wisconsin opener. Then Penix will get the call - IF he is "football" ready. (Don't fall for that crap from the MD's who tell you when the tendons, ligaments and bones heal - "medically healed" and "football ready" are two different things - and docs can't tell when a player has stopped thinking about it and is just playing - and that takes a lot longer).

BUT, if Penix stays healthy, next year is his third year. If he kills it, we win a bunch of games and a bowl - we lose him a year early, AND Ramsey completes his eligibility. So we have Tuttle with 2 left to play and Dexter Williams with 4 left to play for 2021 and the future.

Write it down.

But .... if Ramsey leaves to teach, and Penix gets hurt, Tuttle gets his shot a year early.

I would LOVE to see Rambo make a NFL club and get filthy rich as a backup, a la Suds...That would be tremendous.
He would deserve every penny.

If he doesn't make a team, though, I'd love for IU to create an assistant coaching job for him, paying him $200,000 per year. Without him, we don't go bowling this year and the kid took some hits that would knock others out for the season.

I still don’t know what your point is. Don’t know what this proves.

Good Lord, you can't be this dumb.

You have to be faking it.

His point is that PR gets sacked more often than MP.

He pointed out that through this part of the schedule only: BSU, EIU, OSU, U CONN, MSU, MD, Nebraska & NW, Ramsey had been sacked 11 times, Penix once. That included 2 for PR to 0 for Penix in the game in which MP got hurt (NW)......Including PR's first pass attempt after MP got hurt.

According to his #s, Ramsey had 157 pass attempts through these games, Penix 160. I'm not vouching for his #s, but no one's disputed them.

If you take OUT the OSU game (5 sacks), PR had 6 sacks in 124 pass attempts (4.8%), Penix 1 in 160) (.625%).

This is before ANY consideration of the PSU, Michigan, Purdue or Tennessee games, when PR got sacked more often.

Got it?

He pointed out that through this part of the schedule only: BSU, EIU, OSU, U CONN, MSU, MD, Nebraska & NW, Ramsey had been sacked 11 times, Penix once. That included 2 for PR to 0 for Penix in the game in which MP got hurt (NW)......Including PR's first pass attempt after MP got hurt.

According to his #s, Ramsey had 157 pass attempts through these games, Penix 160. I'm not vouching for his #s, but no one's disputed them.

If you take OUT the OSU game (5 sacks), PR had 6 sacks in 124 pass attempts (4.8%), Penix 1 in 160) (.625%).

This is before ANY consideration of the PSU, Michigan, Purdue or Tennessee games, when PR got sacked more often.

Got it?
Given that, and I don't think it's a valid comparison, but it doesn't account for the fact that Penix went into each of those games as a starter and, as such, practiced with the 1st team all week.

Ramsey was a backup and came into those games after Penix had been unable to complete the game - how do you know he wouldn't have been sacked more had he stayed in the game?

And Penix didn't even play 1 down at Nebraska or vs O$U - how is those games included for comparison????

To use your quote - you can't be this dumb. At least I hope not.

He would deserve every penny.

If he doesn't make a team, though, I'd love for IU to create an assistant coaching job for him, paying him $200,000 per year. Without him, we don't go bowling this year and the kid took some hits that would knock others out for the season.

He could start out as a GA, with the understanding he could be an asst after a couple of years. Why would you make someone with NO coaching experience an asst coach?

Given that, and I don't think it's a valid comparison, but it doesn't account for the fact that Penix went into each of those games as a starter and, as such, practiced with the 1st team all week.

Ramsey was a backup and came into those games after Penix had been unable to complete the game - how do you know he wouldn't have been sacked more had he stayed in the game?

And Penix didn't even play 1 down at Nebraska or vs O$U - how is those games included for comparison????

To use your quote - you can't be this dumb. At least I hope not.

Holy Hell, I completely excluded OSU in my post. The clue should have been the sentence that starts "If you Take OUT the OSU game...."

The rest of your response is bs.

Holy Hell, I completely excluded OSU in my post. The clue should have been the sentence that starts "If you Take OUT the OSU game...."

"bs" because...... what? Because you think so?

Way to back up your argument with facts.

"He pointed out that through this part of the schedule only: BSU, EIU, OSU, U CONN, MSU, MD, Nebraska & NW, Ramsey had been sacked 11 times, Penix once. That included 2 for PR to 0 for Penix in the game in which MP got hurt (NW)......Including PR's first pass attempt after MP got hurt."

But 'HE' didn't take it out, did he? So you are defending his argument, even though it's not a fair comparison.

You aren't very good at this.

"He pointed out that through this part of the schedule only: BSU, EIU, OSU, U CONN, MSU, MD, Nebraska & NW, Ramsey had been sacked 11 times, Penix once. That included 2 for PR to 0 for Penix in the game in which MP got hurt (NW)......Including PR's first pass attempt after MP got hurt."

But 'HE' didn't take it out, did he? So you are defending his argument, even though it's not a fair comparison.

You aren't very good at this.

That's an absolute BS argument if you read my post. Stop being a clown.

Team
Penix Completions-Throws/Sacks
Ramsey Completions-Throws/Sacks

Ball State
P 24-40/0
R 0-0/0

E. Illinois
P 14-20/0
R 13-14/0

Ohio State
P 0-0/0
R 19-33/5

UConn
P 0-0/0
R 23-27/1
(Cronk hurt 1st half)

Mich. State
P 33-42/1
R 0-0/0

Rutgers
P 20-29/0
R 0-0/0

Maryland
P 9-14/0
R 20-27/1

Nebraska
P 0-0/0
R 27-40/2

NW
P 10-15/0
R 7-10/2

Penn State
P 0-0/0
R 31-41/2

Michigan
P 0-0/0
R 17-29/3

Purdue
P 0-0/0
R 23-39/5

Tennessee
P 0-0/0
R 20-34/4

Carry on.

[edited to correct Tennessee game]

Last edited:
Bottom line is his Dad, who believes his kid was jerked around this fall and will not let it happen again. I say he leaves

Team
Penix Completions-Throws/Sacks
Ramsey Completions-Throws/Sacks

Ball State
P 24-40/0
R 0-0/0

E. Illinois
P 14-20/0
R 13-14/0

Ohio State
P 0-0/0
R 19-33/5

UConn
P 0-0/0
R 23-27/1
(Cronk hurt 1st half)

Mich. State
P 33-42/1
R 0-0/0

Rutgers
P 20-29/0
R 0-0/0

Maryland
P 9-14/0
R 20-27/1

Nebraska
P 0-0/0
R 27-40/2

NW
P 10-15/0
R 7-10/2

Penn State
P 0-0/0
R 31-41/2

Michigan
P 0-0/0
R 17-29/3

Purdue
P 0-0/0
R 23-39/5

Tennessee
P 0-0/0
R 20-34/0

Carry on.
Ramsey was sacked 4 times vs Tennessee, as I noted above.

Our OLine was horrendous the last 3 games, giving up 12 sacks.

Bottom line is his Dad, who believes his kid was jerked around this fall and will not let it happen again. I say he leaves
Not sure his Dad will be able to order around his 22 or 23 year old son.

Peyton's his own man now. I would be pleasantly surprised if he stays and wish him the best if he leaves. But I don't think it's a sure think either way.

On the year, we gave up 22 in league games (better than only Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois and Maryland) and gave up 27 overall (better than those 4 plus NW and Minny)
Yeah, throughout most of the year, we were OK. But those last 3 games had Ramsey running for his life.

Reactions: red hornet
Interesting. I hadn't heard anything of that nature, but that doesn't mean diddly -- I don't claim to know shit. It does seem odd to me that a coach would not at least understand the position Allen and DeBoer were in and how they came to their decision.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
I wonder where exactly Ramsey could play and be guaranteed he would be the starter? And would that "guarantee" actually be valid?

You like to throw "BS" around a lot, but you never back it up with anything.

Start acting like an adult.

You were proven wrong, and you can't take it. Stop being a baby.

It's been "backed up" 10x over, and you're just playing dumb.

I quoted Matt's #s, which you have never disputed were incorrect.

Then I quoted the #s IF the OSU game was taken out. Now you're acting the fool.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
"bs" because...... what? Because you think so?

Way to back up your argument with facts.

The rest of it was bs because you were talking about lack of prep time for Ramsey, who has 1 1/2 previous years in the program as a starter, as the excuse for him getting sacked more frequently than Penix, who had started just a few games. Ridiculous, as is your refusal to simply acknowledge that PR holds onto the ball longer than Penix and has a slower release and, as a result, gets sacked more frequently. Something that anyone with half a brain would acknowledge after watching both of them play 1/2 of a game of football.

^^^^ cuckoo ^^^^

The rest of it was bs because you were talking about lack of prep time for Ramsey, who has 1 1/2 previous years in the program as a starter, as the excuse for him getting sacked more frequently than Penix, who had started just a few games. Ridiculous, as is your refusal to simply acknowledge that PR holds onto the ball longer than Penix and has a slower release and, as a result, gets sacked more frequently. Something that anyone with half a brain would acknowledge after watching both of them play 1/2 of a game of football.
You've been a know-nothing troll since you started posting here along time ago.

Sorry - I only put up with a troll for so long, and then they're on ignore.

Buh-Bye!

You've been a know-nothing troll since you started posting here along time ago.

Sorry - I only put up with a troll for so long, and then they're on ignore.

Buh-Bye!

You were schooled old man.

Go stand in the corner.

Got it?
Guess I am that stupid. So Ramsey got sacked more than Penix what does that mean?

Sec o what you are saying that they call the same plays for both quarterbacks? As Lao if a a lineman or back blows an assignment and leads to a sack that is proof that the quarterback holds onto the ball too long? Also quick release has nothing to do with reads. It refers to how long it takes for the ball to leave the quarterback’s hand once he starts his throwing to when it is released.

Reactions: DANC
Sec o what you are saying that they call the same plays for both quarterbacks? As Lao if a a lineman or back blows an assignment and leads to a sack that is proof that the quarterback holds onto the ball too long? Also quick release has nothing to do with reads. It refers to how long it takes for the ball to leave the quarterback’s hand once he starts his throwing to when it is released.

Jesus man.

I posted stats from after the first 9 games. At that point of the season, both QB's attempts, yards, ratings.....ALL STATS....were virtually identical....except for one....sacks. I made no comment, but just posted the stats.

DANC chimed in with the explanation that Ramsey was sacked more because he wasn't playing with the healthy OL from the beginning of the season that Penix had.

I pointed out that that was not-determinable, or simply not true, since Ramsey was the team leader in games 2, 3, and 4. Also, Penix was the team leader in Game 9...so it wasn't like one was a star early in the season when the team was fresh, and the other later when the team was beat up. Their appearances were spread.

DANC then responded with the explanation that Ramsey's sacks were against better teams.

I then showed that on average, Penix faced slightly better defenses, and was still sacked much less. In the games they both played equally, Ramsey was sacked 3 times, Penix 0.

I even said OSU was a statistical outlier, but it is what it is. Penix had his best game, and one of the best all-time for a Freshman, against a top 20 defense.

I merely showed stats.

DANC then started assuming I preferred Penix or something and was making up stats (I wasn't).

He also referred to Penix as "Penis" either as a poor joke, or an innocent mistake apparently dictated by his autocorrect, maybe deferring to his Google search preferences? He then corrected his gaffe, and accused me of having a concussion simply because his autocorrect recognizes he searches/types "Penis" quite a bit.

Maybe he's a urologist or something?

Follow now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT