ADVERTISEMENT

Will Juwan Morgan Go To The NBA?

cshartle123

Senior
Apr 8, 2016
My wife and I are arguing whether he will be here next year or not. My thought is that he should stay one more year and continue to work on his body. Injuries have been an issue for him, so it might help to have a staff working with him. His numbers are NBA level though, and he’s done it against formidable opponents. 16 points and 7.1 rebounds per game while shooting 59.8% from the floor. I couldn’t find his +\-, but I assume it’s very good. Is he gone after this year?

My wife and I are arguing whether he will be here next year or not. My thought is that he should stay one more year and continue to work on his body. Injuries have been an issue for him, so it might help to have a staff working with him. His numbers are NBA level though, and he’s done it against formidable opponents. 16 points and 7.1 rebounds per game while shooting 59.8% from the floor. I couldn’t find his +\-, but I assume it’s very good. Is he gone after this year?
he will probably declare and be the number 1 pick.....he is THAT good!!

I am sure he will test the waters and go by what he hears, which will be to probably play another year and work on his outside shot.
He definitely needs to work on his shot to play in the NBA. What position can he play - definitely an undersized 4, not sure he can ever become a 3

It is an interesting question, but I can't see his game translating well to the NBA at this point. He really needs to improve his outside shot at his size. He's not super explosive so I just think he'll struggle to score and guard at that level. I would guess he will declare and listen to what the experts have to say. He's having a break out year and deserves the accolades and attention that go with it.

Possibly... One more year of strength building would really benefit his body before he goes through an NBA season... But I do see him in the NBA

Morgan is a great college player but he just doesn't fit as an NBA player at this time. He would need to grow 4 to 5 inches and put on some weight or like many said improve his outside shooting. He should test the waters but I don't see him going in first round

Reactions: hgdownunder
If we land Romeo if he should stay. That inside out presence would give him so much exposure he'd definitely improve his stock. Without Romeo he should probably go.

No, he doesn't have the size to play power forward in the NBA and lacks the skill set to play the 3 in the NBA. If he declares for the NBA he would go undrafted.

Reactions: outside shooter
G league bound if he's lucky.
Most likely not in the association at all .
His jumper isn't close .You ever seen him take guys off the dribble.
Most of his game is three to four crab dribbles. Bump you then lay it up. Love the guy ! Just need' s to expand his game some.

No chance. He's 6'6" and has zero jump shot and is an average athlete at best. Excellent college player but he has no position in the NBA. All his points are layups and dunks and he would struggle to guard people in the NBA.

Reactions: hgdownunder
He can play in league. I hope he stays but won’t be surprised if he goes. As stated earlier I expect him to test and get feedback, which was also stated earlier.
Go Hoosiers!

Morgan will be back for his Senior year. He is a tweener size wise. Too small to be a 4 and not quick enough to be a 3 or 2 in the NBA. And no consistent perimeter shot. There are a ton of guys in the G-League just like him. If he wants to play in the NBA he needs to wait until after he is a Senior to have his body as fully matured as possible, and another year to work on his perimeter shooting and fundamentals under Archie and his staff. And a year to benefit playing with an improved team with more offensive firepower and perimeter options which will open up the floor better next season for Morgan to shine during his Senior year season.

You can easily tell who watches the NBA and who doesn’t by their posts in this thread. I love Juwan. He’s a really good college player. He’s going to have to overcome a lot to become an NBA player. As others have stated, he’s a tweener. Too slow to play the 3 and too short to be a 4. He’ll be back for sure. He also doesn’t have anything exceptional. For example, Troy had exceptional athleticism. Just off the charts. Juwan doesn’t have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatchets7times
He needs work on ball-handling and outside shooting. He will not play his present position in the NBA.

Not this year. Needs to expand his game to the perimeter.

And... ugh .. Why would you need a +/-? Why would anyone? lol

+/- is a junk POS stat used to measure lineup effectiveness, which it does poorly... as a player stat it's too dependent on the lineup and opposing lineup and means absolutely nothing and is completely worthless.

Example; Morgan is on the floor playing perfectly, while Newkirk turns the ball over 18 times. Morgan gets a negative for Newkirk's play.

Other example; a potted fern is on the floor with Johnson as he goes 9 of 9 and scores 27pts, the potted fern now has a plus and according to +/- is a better player than Morgan..

Other example: Priller is on the floor playing with 4 turnips against a team made entirely of potted ferns and scores 100 pts.. Priller is now the best player on the team.

Last example: Micheal Jordan is on the floor with four turnips vs a team made of one Tim Priller and 4 robots. Though Mike does well the four turnips can't guard the robots, who score on the turnips at will, and he loses by two. At this point according to +/- Tim Priller who didn't score a point and had 15 TO's, is a better player than Micheal Jordan.

+/- is worthless stat ..

What you want to see is a PER. His is currently over 30 which is top 2% nationally.

"+/-" lmao ... I blame Crean for our fan base knowing the most useless stat ever created. There's so many better analytical measures that actually mean something.

And quit using 1980's per game stats.... it's 2018.

Last edited:
Should he or shouldn't he? That's not really the correct question...

Does he want to play one more year of college basketball? That question is more relevant...

He isn't going to be a first round draft pick whether he leaves this year or next. Even if he shoots a thousand jumpers this summer and becomes a good outside shooter, he's still not a lock first rounder. So he's going to have to impress in the summer league regardless.

So, back to what I think is the most pertinent question. Does he want to play another year at IU? Does he care if he gets his degree? If the answer to those questions aren't a strong yes...why on earth wouldn't he leave now?...regardless of what level of pro basketball he ends up at, he'll be making good money to play basketball, he won't have to go to classes, he'll be able to commit as much time as he wants to getting better, etc...

Reactions: Brockway
He’s not as limited as some are saying...the guy was running point guard occasionally.
What some are claiming are limitations, instead he is playing within the boundaries and expectations of the new coaching staff. IMO.

He’s not as limited as some are saying...the guy was running point guard occasionally.
What some are claiming are limitations, instead he is playing within the boundaries and expectations of the new coaching staff. IMO.

OK. Let's look at the Pacers then. Leaf and GRob3 are bench players for the Pacers. They don't even play that much. Both are way better than Morgan and play the same position that he will have to play in the NBA. He can't guard the 4 in the NBA at all. Blake Griffin is an NBA 4. No chance. Can he guard a 3? Can he check Paul George or Kevin Durant? No.

Again, I think that Juwan is a great college player and next year he could be a star. Maybe even an AA if he continues to improve at his current rate. Think about Haas for another example. Haas is the most dominant big in college right now. Who in the NBA that plays the 5 could he possibly guard? Could you see him checking Marc Gasol or Andre Drummond? Hell, Myles Turner for that matter? Imagine him trying to score on Anthony Davis or Deandre Jordan? That would be hilarious to watch though.

My point is that some of these great college guys just do not translate to the NBA and unfortunately for Juwan, he's in that group. If he was 6'10" then he's a pro. If he had OG's athleticism then he's a pro. He has neither. Unless he wants to join the Ball brothers in Lithuania, he's coming back for his senior year and that's great news for all IU fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU Scott
No, he doesn't have the size to play power forward in the NBA and lacks the skill set to play the 3 in the NBA. If he declares for the NBA he would go undrafted.
Actually, he’s about the size of Jimmy Jackson (who played in the NBA 14 years), so there’s hope for a player that size. I think he needs to keep working on his outside shot.

Max Kleber plays PF for the Mavs. Ryan anderson plays the 4 for the rockets. Jamychael Green for the Grizllies. Markieff morris for the wizards. Labisserie for the Kings. Not every team has a durant, etc... If players were kicked out of the league for not being able to guard PG13, Griffin, Marc gasol or Kevin durant then there would be no NBA. Most of those guys can't even guard each other with much success.

If morgan develops a jump shot, i think he can make the NBA. I don't think he is leaving early though. He may never be an all star or starter and it may take some time to make it in the NBA and it may be a long shot but he has a solid skill set and it seems a solid work ethic.

Julius Randle is similar in size and game. Randle was highly touted/ranked player compared to Morgan and is an exceptional rebounder. He has played a lot of center for the Lakers because his outisde is non existent right now.

Reactions: cryano
I am sure he will test the waters and go by what he hears, which will be to probably play another year and work on his outside shot.
He can shoot the 3 according to Fischer and others that have seen him in practice. He might show that in individual workouts and get a team that will tell him they are interested in him as a draft pick or undrafted free agent. He might more accolades by staying, but he won't be any more prepared to play. OG left with less of a resume, but a more athleticism. Waiting a year won't make him more athletic. I am leaning toward him leaving, but I sure hope he stays!

Not this year. Needs to expand his game to the perimeter.

And... ugh .. Why would you need a +/-? Why would anyone? lol

+/- is a junk POS stat used to measure lineup effectiveness, which it does poorly... as a player stat it's too dependent on the lineup and opposing lineup and means absolutely nothing and is completely worthless.

Example; Morgan is on the floor playing perfectly, while Newkirk turns the ball over 18 times. Morgan gets a negative for Newkirk's play.

Other example; a potted fern is on the floor with Johnson as he goes 9 of 9 and scores 27pts, the potted fern now has a plus and according to +/- is a better player than Morgan..

Other example: Priller is on the floor playing with 4 turnips against a team made entirely of potted ferns and scores 100 pts.. Priller is now the best player on the team.

Last example: Micheal Jordan is on the floor with four turnips vs a team made of one Tim Priller and 4 robots. Though Mike does well the four turnips can't guard the robots, who score on the turnips at will, and he loses by two. At this point according to +/- Tim Priller who didn't score a point and had 15 TO's, is a better player than Micheal Jordan.

+/- is worthless stat ..

What you want to see is a PER. His is currently over 30 which is top 2% nationally.

"+/-" lmao ... I blame Crean for our fan base knowing the most useless stat ever created. There's so many better analytical measures that actually mean something.

And quit using 1980's per game stats.... it's 2018.
Now that you have proven your intelligence, we can get back to Morgan. Top 2% in PER is another stat that would give him a look in the G league. I agree his game is limited, but he’s doing it against everyone and I don’t think his ankle is 100%.

Where's he going? He's not in a single draft projection, never has been. Not one. Not even as a second round pick.
I hope I am wrong. For our sake, I hope he stays under the radar. If he tests the water and has a favorable performance, he could end up on someone's draft board or tucked away as a free agent pickup after the draft.

He will show very well in the interview process. While not as athletic as OG or Troy, he will get noticed if he continues the production he has shown during the B1G season. Waiting a year won't greatly improve his talent or chance to make a roster.

Waiting a year won't greatly improve his talent or chance to make a roster.
He needs a perimeter game and a better handle to play in the NBA. He doesn't have the benefit of being a supreme athlete and being drafted on potential, so he has to produce, and produce from the perimeter if he wants a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT