ADVERTISEMENT

Wild Speculation Wednesday

Just because it's a serious national security threat doesn't mean our concern is that it would be used against us. Could be something that changes the dynamic of the war.

So it is a nuke in space. A huge concern, but something we knew was possible.

Now we have something to worry about alongside China's "rods from God".

I’m really underwhelmed tbh. We’ve had nukes pointed at each other for 70 years. Nothing really changing there a long as @Aloha Hoosier’s boys in the navy can still counter strike.

Hacking our grid is a much bigger scare for me because we’d turn into the Walking Dead in a hurry if the power got shut off.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I’m really underwhelmed tbh. We’ve had nukes pointed at each other for 70 years. Nothing really changing there a long as @Aloha Hoosier’s boys in the navy can still counter strike.

Hacking our grid is a much bigger scare for me because we’d turn into the Walking Dead in a hurry if the power got shut off.

A nuke in space over America will fry the grid.

So it is a nuke in space. A huge concern, but something we knew was possible.

Now we have something to worry about alongside China's "rods from God".

Yes, it’s common for mil-spec equipment to have EMP protection requirements … but it’s not commonplace for those things with 4 wheels in your drive way. Or other consumer electronics… WW II vacuum tubes were more forgiving.

Here’s a second hand report that is not behind a paywall.

https://interestingengineering.com/science/chinese-study-rods-from-god

The real effectiveness would seem (to me) to be something DARPA should already know about.
These days it’s hard to tell whether capital got irrationally allocated to buy the technology, regardless.

That said, building a rail gun to accelerate a tungsten billet to run the test is not so hard to do these days.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/07/02/navy-finally-pulls-plug-railgun.html

but difficult to deploy without a nuclear reactor.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT