ADVERTISEMENT

When will there be an announcement

I have been there every home game for the last 9 years and yes, the balconies have been mostly empty the last 2-3 years. Crean won the B10 last year with the easiest schedule possible. If you take out all his wins versus teams such as Savannah St, Kennesaw Mountain State, Bryant, Houston Baptist, etc., his record at IU is a sizzling 106-134. That is not suitable for a school like IU. He is in way over his head and no one at IU looks prepared to do anything about it. It is beyond sad....

We have the second most wins in the nation against ranked teams. You keep plugging your data with the first three years, which is sad. So who is walking in to replace him?

We have the second most wins in the nation against ranked teams. You keep plugging your data with the first three years, which is sad. So who is walking in to replace him?

Year 3 counts.

Didn't we lose 11 of our last 13 games or something?

Answer me this: do you have confidence that Crean can get us past the sweet 16 next year?

Who's the elite coach that is coming? That's all I ask. Who's this imaginary person?

OK, so now you're falling back on that tired Crean is the best we can do schtick.

I don't know who the next elite coach might be. But I know who it's not.

It wasn't that long ago when people were criticizing Northwestern for dismissing Bill Carmody, because Bill Carmody had been as successful as any Northwestern coach. And you know, it's just Northwestern. Well, who's going to the tourney this season, and who isn't?

Who's the elite coach that is coming? That's all I ask. Who's this imaginary person?
I have no idea. Maybe it doesn't end up being the right guy. There are no guarantees. But I think there are about 10 coaches out there where the risk/reward of changing is much better than risk / reward of staying put. It's just the nature of the business. Crean's a millionare CEO with a 52 week low stock price, a bad outlook & trajectory. Time for a change, IMO.

15 turnovers in 73 possession is 20.5%. That's lower. I would be done with me too if basic mathematical skills are not your strength and you don't wish to be embarrassed.

I looking off the I U stat page and was taking FGA and TO to get it. Ken POm had it. I was wrong on 324th in TO margin. We are actually 323rd in TO margin either way not elite. By the way, when Butler beat us, they had 3 turnovers total.

I remember a case study in biz school about how GM ran the Cadillac brand (from the 50th straus era) into the ground through a series of bad decisions - mostly trying to cut costs by sharing too many components, poor quality, cheap parts. Cadillac has never been thought of as the same. It's an old persons car.

An updated version of that case could be how IU ran the IU BB "brand" into the ground through a series of horrible coaching hires. Only old people (mostly) think of IU as elite. People can't even bring themselves to EXPECT truly great results nowadays. They are "unrealistic".

One image that brings to mind is the movie Blue Chips back in the 90's. Indiana was cast as the "great" team that Western played, not Duke/UNC/Kentucky/etc. Think of how laughable it would be to be watching an updated version of that movie and to have Crean pacing the sideline of the opposing team.

My belief is that it could be turned around with the right coaching hire. An elite coach. Here's to hoping that happens.
Maybe we are not what a UK or Duke are but there is no reason we can't be what MSU or UW have done the last years. UW will be going to their 19th straight tournament and MSU to their 18th straight.

The last 6 years IU has finished 7th or lower more times than 1st in the Big Ten.

Missed the NCAA 2 times the last 4 years and had the lowest seed in IU history one of the other years.

IU has a 4 seed or better one time during Crean's tenure.

Crean is the 9th highest paid coach in the nation. That's the expectation and he isn't performing.

In the end, Glass has to do something. If he doesn't extend Crean that will hamper recruiting and leave the program in flux for possibly two to three years. The extension would have to include a larger buyout because Crean would require that. Why sign an extension with a million dollar buyout beginning July 1? That wouldn't be smart on his end and his agents know it.

If he fires him, he might as well do it now and start working on the replacement. That said, I am sure IU has been gauging the market to see who might be in play. What if Glass has discovered that no one in his top five is interested? There are really only a few that are actually upgrades to Crean and I am not sure any of them would take the IU job. You don't just make a change to change. There may actually be a better market next year.

I think it is a toss up and if I was betting I'd bet on an extension.

Reactions: echs86
No, but I'm a realist. Two key injuries. I enjoyed last year immensely while some of you cried in your soup. I don't think next year will be a .500 season, but something much better, if we stay healthy.
This guy can't be for real right? If so, he's gotta be the dumbest fn sob that calls himself an iu fan. I'd like to kick u in the junk

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
This guy can't be for real right? If so, he's gotta be the dumbest fn sob that calls himself an iu fan. I'd like to kick u in the junk
It's been well known that Crean has had people monitor the board. It's been rumored that he's had people posting positive stuff in his favor.
Crean has been petty enough that it wouldn't surprise me.

It's been well known that Crean has had people monitor the board. It's been rumored that he's had people posting positive stuff in his favor.
Now this is funny. Crean? Do you know a turnover is? 15 turnovers per game. Do you recruit Indiana kids? McIntosh come to mind. Are you that small? Just for the record if they actually are reading this board.

Whatever genius.....,we barely won any games the first three years....the 60 wins against cupcakes have mostly come in years 4 thru 9. Maybe 10 of the 60 I counted were in the first three years so if it makes you feel better, add 10 to his win total and he is now 116-134. If you think that is good for a program like Indiana, you're beyond help

Crean is flat awful..how you can watch this crap and think it's good basketball? He has to go..just look at his last 6 years and you will see a very inconsistent average program

Reactions: russelltodd
Crean is flat awful..how you can watch this crap and think it's good basketball? He has to go..just look at his last 6 years and you will see a very inconsistent average program
Right.

Ingrained program problems:

1. "Weave and heave" offense, handoffs for handoffs' sake, no movement to the basket, no off-ball screens or cuts. It's always a one or two man game, we have a chance to win only when we're hitting the 3s. Too often shot clock is below 10 and we're still trying to get guys in position, not sure why.

2. Turnovers. And, more turnovers.

3. Lack of defense. Our defenders are consistently beat off the dribble, giving layups or forcing help, rotation defense is mediocre against bad teams, but against average-to-better the opponent ALWAYS finds the open good shooter with a good shot. Boom. Hurry up and take the ball out of bounds and run the weave-and-heave, etc.

There has to be a better X-and-O coach out there, and we need the best one. Better playing should lead to more wins. We can only hope more wins leads to "better" recruits (better in the sense of fundamentals on O and D, winners, teachable, etc.) so we can have better results year by year.

I think Crean has to go. He's not a bad guy, not even a bad coach, but I think he's reached his ceiling at IU. If he stays and has another bad year, the parting will not be such sweet sorrow.

Right.

Ingrained program problems:

1. "Weave and heave" offense, handoffs for handoffs' sake, no movement to the basket, no off-ball screens or cuts. It's always a one or two man game, we have a chance to win only when we're hitting the 3s. Too often shot clock is below 10 and we're still trying to get guys in position, not sure why.

2. Turnovers. And, more turnovers.

3. Lack of defense. Our defenders are consistently beat off the dribble, giving layups or forcing help, rotation defense is mediocre against bad teams, but against average-to-better the opponent ALWAYS finds the open good shooter with a good shot. Boom. Hurry up and take the ball out of bounds and run the weave-and-heave, etc.

There has to be a better X-and-O coach out there, and we need the best one. Better playing should lead to more wins. We can only hope more wins leads to "better" recruits (better in the sense of fundamentals on O and D, winners, teachable, etc.) so we can have better results year by year.

I think Crean has to go. He's not a bad guy, not even a bad coach, but I think he's reached his ceiling at IU. If he stays and has another bad year, the parting will not be such sweet sorrow.
The time is now to move on...we have a pretty average recruiting class coming in and return a solid core. With a quality coach this team could be pretty solid

I try to stay away from other men's junk, but whatever. In general, I don't like to threaten people, would think the mods might find that inappropriate.

Well known? Really, by whom? Disgruntled fans who have made up stuff here and elsewhere? Alt facts. No, I'm not related to Crean, have ZERO problems with him getting fired, but only if it makes sense. With the buyout, it doesn't. With the injuries, it doesn't. Being the defending Big Ten champs, it doesn't. Unless you can tell me an elite coach is walking through those doors, and with our fanbase, it isn't happening.

Reactions: echs86
Well known? Really, by whom? Disgruntled fans who have made up stuff here and elsewhere? Alt facts. No, I'm not related to Crean, have ZERO problems with him getting fired, but only if it makes sense. With the buyout, it doesn't. With the injuries, it doesn't. Being the defending Big Ten champs, it doesn't. Unless you can tell me an elite coach is walking through those doors, and with our fanbase, it isn't happening.
Injuries? We were bad before OG was hurt.

You must don't understand how the buyout works because it has no bearing on Crean's future.

Ahhh the buyout is the problem. That right there just shows how little you know. Do yourself a favor and just stick to reading instead of posting

I think it is funny when people use the "fanbase" as an argument that IU won't get any of the top coaches. UNC ran a coach out before Williams for not getting them to where they want to be. UK ran a coach out before Cal for the same reason. UCLA is not afraid to pull the trigger. The fans at Kansas, let's see what happens when Self retires and they get an average replacement. Coaches work their way up the chain to the elite jobs, with elite exposure and elite pay just like a great CEO does. Look at Oregon, they had an argument to be a 1 seed this year but i bet few people can name their coach or players. Same with Baylor and both coaches have been there a while. There are exceptions like Gonzaga, but most of these guys want the challenges of coaching at high exposure jobs.

I like TC. Seems like a nice guy but I agree with the sentiment that his system is not conducive to winning championships. Like the Manning Colts. Great offense and exciting regular season but when you have to grind through a tournament, defense and intelligent play wins it.

I also think that Glass has had to fire someone during the season before. It had to be done but it is unfair to the players and fans. He will not do that again unless it is a rules/safety issue. IF anything is going to happen, it won't be until IU is done playing.

JonesIndiana? What benefit is there to wins over ranked teams when it is offset by embarrassing losses? Tracking stats of this nature is a Crean specialty...look nice, no real impact. Hey Tom, er, JonesIndiana? How about that deflection stat? "We had 48 deflections, a record!" Yeah, but Tom, your team gave up 90 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT