ADVERTISEMENT

When will there be an announcement

BigNutsIUFan

Junior
Mar 10, 2005
Think I saw something where Crean was out recruiting last night. If hes going to be back next season then you would think Glass wouldve come out already. Lets not let this thing linger anymore.

Think I saw something where Crean was out recruiting last night. If hes going to be back next season then you would think Glass wouldve come out already. Lets not let this thing linger anymore.

This always goes back to the "million dollar question" ... if CTC is on contract for the next three years why is there a need to announce he is staying?

I think I remember in 2015 that it was a while before Fred stepped in front of the microphone to tell us "$100 donors" what he saw in the future of IU basketball and then announce that CTC wasn't going anywhere. I think he folded to public pressure at that time, otherwise we would not have heard anything.

Unlike now, Fred Glass is turning down requests to interview.

As I mentioned in another post I made on a different thread. My wild ass guess is IF an announcement has not been made by the 1st NIT game (if IU makes it) that CTC is fired or has found a "soft landing", then CTC is not going anywhere. The "$100 donors" be damned. If that announcement IS made, then I don't expect to hear IU announcing their new coach until the day after the Final 4.

I don't think Fred will make any announcement today, since that could somewhat take away from the NCAA Selection Committee's special night tonight. Monday sounds like a good day for some kind of announcement.

I might be wrong on the dollar amount of the donor but I remember Fred telling us he doesn't pay attention to those and looks at them as very passionate fans. So he may not be paying attention to the majority of the IU fan base.

Last edited:

Probably not til our season is completely finished. Fire him today or after the NIT, what's the difference? I'd like to assume any coach we're interested in will still be coaching their current teams for another couple weeks anyways.

This always goes back to the "million dollar question" ... if CTC is on contract for the next three years why is there a need to announce he is staying?

I think I remember in 2015 that it was a while before Fred stepped in front of the microphone to tell us "$100 donors" what he saw in the future of IU basketball and then announce that CTC wasn't going anywhere. I think he folded to public pressure at that time, otherwise we would not have heard anything.

Unlike now, Fred Glass is turning down requests to interview.

As I mentioned in another post I made on a different thread. My wild ass guess is IF an announcement has not been made by the 1st NIT game (if IU makes it) that CTC is fired or has found a "soft landing", then CTC is not going anywhere. The "$100 donors" be damned. If that announcement IS made, then I don't expect to hear IU announcing their new coach until the day after the Final 4.

I might be wrong on the dollar amount of the donor but I remember Fred telling us he doesn't pay attention to those and looks at them as very passionate fans. So he may not be paying attention to the majority of the IU fan base.
I think this is a totally different situation than 2015 as he only has 3 years left on contract and theres a million more buzz around this situation. I just think he needs to do something to quiet either side. I just think a negotiated buyout is being quietly written up. If he is brought back then I think AH is going to be really emtpy and a few wins over cupcakes early on wont change a thing.

All good points. It will be very interesting to see how all of this plays out. I can't see CTC wanting to put his family through another year of hell living in Bloomington. Without an extension CTC has to know recruiting is harder with only 3 years left and that will be used against him in some cases. Yet he loves IU, loves his players ... so why leave on your own?

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
All good points. It will be very interesting to see how all of this plays out. I can't see CTC wanting to put his family through another year of hell living in Bloomington. Without an extension CTC has to know recruiting is harder with only 3 years left and that will be used against him in some cases. Yet he loves IU, loves his players ... so why leave on your own?
How many 4 year players does Crean actually recruit?

The difference in timing could mean other candidates signing extensions with their respective schools.

It could, but that usually doesn't happen until after the season is completely over either. Those extensions also have to be negotiated and all that. There was never any question that IU would have to pay up big for a great coach. The real question is whether or not they're willing to do so. With how poorly the last three hires turned out, I don't think IU can take a chance on an "up and comer". Well, what I really mean is the up and comer can't be their first choice. IU has to exhaust all efforts on types like Marshall, Donovan, S Miller, and Bennett. Then they can go after A Miller or Holtmann or whoever. Hiring A Miller wouldn't necessarily be disappointing. It would be disappointing to find out they didn't even bother with any of the others first.

The only announcement everyone is looking forward to is if IU goes to the NIT! This is what this program has become.

Making 4 million a year is hell? Not hardly. I would hate for one to live my life if this was the case.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
I don't think Fred will make any announcement today, since that could somewhat take away from the NCAA Selection Committee's special night tonight.
FWIW, I disagree with this.I think if the situation is in fact weighted toward how we think it is (crean being released) the decision would be that of one already massively past due. And the result of that would be creaning Crean pretty quickly. I just dont see the decision of being released or not being very in the middle. I think its either 1 :way past due. Or 2: A firm. 'Crean was never in the hott seat to our board,has a committed contract with out school and well be the coach next year' .

Imo all the logical reasons are really running out now. I think the longer nothing is said now means a likelihood of Crean staying increasing drastically with every day. Starting tremendously tonight if one hasn't been made by the end of selection Sunday.Furthermore I think if nothing is said by the time Crean is coaching the nit game. Posters who make reasonable arguments hes not leaving should really hold some weight.

The fact that he is recruiting is a sure sign he's back from a monetary standpoint.
Why would iu waste money for travel expense to send a coach to recruit, if he's not going to be around next year. I know it's a local game, but still. I'm dreading the thought he will possibly be back.

He's back. 0708 pretty much just confirmed it on the other site. Someone needs to buy FireFred.com and put up some billboards across Btown.

The fact that he is recruiting is a sure sign he's back from a monetary standpoint.
Why would iu waste money for travel expense to send a coach to recruit, if he's not going to be around next year. I know it's a local game, but still. I'm dreading the thought he will possibly be back.
He was at Martinsville which is about 20 miles from Bloomington so I doubt the cost for this was much.

He's back. 0708 pretty much just confirmed it on the other site. Someone needs to buy FireFred.com and put up some billboards across Btown.
0708 said that is a "gut feeling" no sourced information. My gut tells me nobody knows at this point. He has been saying Crean leaving was a done deal for weeks now so I'm not sure how trustworthy his "sources" are.

Reactions: Grotto_22
0708 said that is a "gut feeling" no sourced information. My gut tells me nobody knows at this point. He has been saying Crean leaving was a done deal for weeks now so I'm not sure how trustworthy his "sources" are.
It is a fair guess. Keeping this kind of thing secret is pretty difficult. If there were any negotiations, discussions, decisions, several people would know and someone eventually talks (probably to national news and not local). So it is very likely that they will just ride this out and hope that people stop being angry over the summer.

It is a fair guess. Keeping this kind of thing secret is pretty difficult. If there were any negotiations, discussions, decisions, several people would know and someone eventually talks (probably to national news and not local). So it is very likely that they will just ride this out and hope that people stop being angry over the summer.
If they are so arrogant that would ignore th fan and alumni wishes, then McRobbie needs to feel the heat. In addition, every fund raising call will be met with "not until Glass and Crean are gone will be my answer." Plus a boycott of attending any games. Unfortunately that hurts the players but only way to make a point. Money talks.

Maybe Crean & co ( inc. Glass) were actually set up by opposing UK & Pu as part of a ongoing secret late 90's operation. Maybe even with a cool name too like 'no blood left' . Where what was known to be a slow and very thought out infiltration into the program that included such main objectives as ridding knight,setting up shady coaches, and ultimately destroying the integrity of the entire university to the point of fan base division. I'm telling you ,who says its not possible, and what about Russia

Maybe Crean & co ( inc. Glass) were actually set up by opposing UK & Pu as part of a ongoing secret late 90's operation. Maybe even with a cool name too like 'no blood left' . Where what was known to be a slow and very thought out infiltration into the program that included such main objectives as ridding knight,setting up shady coaches, and ultimately destroying the integrity of the entire university to the point of fan base division. I'm telling you ,who says its not possible, and what about Russia
Lol, I think Glass is a closet Purdue fan. Best explanation I can think of

I can't see CTC wanting to put his family through another year of hell living in Bloomington. /QUOTE]

Yes, it's got to be tough living on $3.5 million a year in a beautiful,vibrant, friendly,cultural and intellectual college town like Bloomington, IN. One can only hope they all survive somehow.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Yes, it's got to be tough living on $3.5 million a year in a beautiful,vibrant, friendly,cultural and intellectual college town like Bloomington, IN. One can only hope they all survive somehow.

Apparently Missouri only offered $1.2M a year. No wonder he turned them down. The man's got a family to feed.

Not going to happen. They do not pull the trigger I will be more pissed in October knowing that I have another season of bad ball ahead. I think I only watched maybe 10 games this year. They bring Crean back and the attitude will change from what it is now. Now he gets a little bit of the "nice guy, wrong job" treatment. He comes back it will be more vitriolic after every loss.

So he went from 100 he is gone to he is back. Sounds like a crappy source.

Can someone translate? I don't speak moronese.

They bring Crean back and the attitude will change from what it is now. Now he gets a little bit of the "nice guy, wrong job" treatment.
And all that time, look at where that got you. You think Crean gives a damn about your nicely toned downed sentiments? Money talks,bs walks,& people are self absorbed.

I refuse to believe that an IU coach that is 2-16 against Wisconsin after 9 years will be retained.

There are handy excuses. For 8 of those losses we were "really young". Two others were all the refs fault.

then... a horrible plague.

LOCUSTS!

He is still under contract, does every team come out at the end of the year to announce the coach is coming back?
Just because a coach is on the fan bases hot seat doesn't mean he is on the administrations hot seat.

Good, he should be back. You don't fire a coach that won the conference last year and had two major injuries this season. Beyond dumb. He should be back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT