ADVERTISEMENT

What was Rutgers game plan vs Purdue

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I haven’t seen many highlights of when Rutgers won at Purdue. I assume Rutgers guarded the 3 pt line really well and had the athletes to take away a lot of Purdues jump shots? Did they double team Edey ?

I haven’t seen many highlights of when Rutgers won at Purdue. I assume Rutgers guarded the 3 pt line really well and had the athletes to take away a lot of Purdues jump shots? Did they double team Edey ?
Rutgers used Cliff Oromuyi in space early in the game to draw Edey away from the basket and earn two quick fouls. With Edey out, Purdue is not close to being a great team. Rutgers could drive for easy baskets or kick it back out for 3s. Rutgers pressed Purdue guards the minute they inbound the ball. It ate up the 30-second clock and exposed PU's guards as not strong ball handlers.

In the game's closing minutes, Rutgers ran the same set 4 times in a row and scored each time. Cliff Oromuyi would set the screen at the free-throw line for Paul Mulcahy, who could then drive to the basketball with Edey trailing, pass to Cliff for a dunk, or kick it out to Cam Spencer on the wing for 3. Edey was slow to react every time because of the threat from Cliff rolling to the basketball behind the play. Mulcahy's man was out of the play due to the screen, and Spencer's man cheated into the paint to help. That left Spencer open every time.

Rutgers used Cliff Oromuyi in space early in the game to draw Edey away from the basket and earn two quick fouls. With Edey out, Purdue is not close to being a great team. Rutgers could drive for easy baskets or kick it back out for 3s. Rutgers pressed Purdue guards the minute they inbound the ball. It ate up the 30-second clock and exposed PU's guards as not strong ball handlers.

In the game's closing minutes, Rutgers ran the same set 4 times in a row and scored each time. Cliff Oromuyi would set the screen at the free-throw line for Paul Mulcahy, who could then drive to the basketball with Edey trailing, pass to Cliff for a dunk, or kick it out to Cam Spencer on the wing for 3. Edey was slow to react every time because of the threat from Cliff rolling to the basketball behind the play. Mulcahy's man was out of the play due to the screen, and Spencer's man cheated into the paint to help. That left Spencer open every time.
Good write up, thanks

Good write up, thanks
IU will need to play Edey one-on-one and push him away from the basketball when he's trying to post up. Cliff Oromuyi of Rutgers has the size and length to bother Edey. As physical as Edey is, he doesn't like when someone pushes back. Purdue want teams to double Edey so he can kick it back out to the perimeter players for 3s. TJD should be able to play Edey by himself, freeing up his teammates to close out on the perimeter. PU doesn't shoot well from outside when shots are contested. PU is not big on the perimeter.

This is from last year, but you can see Oromuyi loves being physical. The best part of the clip is watching Ron Harper Jr.'s reaction. 😁 😁

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/play-57de2a3ac000da9

Reactions: Unsalted
IU will need to play Edey one-on-one and push him away from the basketball when he's trying to post up. Cliff Oromuyi of Rutgers has the size and length to bother Edey. As physical as Edey is, he doesn't like when someone pushes back. Purdue want teams to double Edey so he can kick it back out to the perimeter players for 3s. TJD should be able to play Edey by himself, freeing up his teammates to close out on the perimeter. PU doesn't shoot well from outside when shots are contested. PU is not big on the perimeter.

This is from last year, but you can see Oromuyi loves being physical. The best part of the clip is watching Ron Harper Jr.'s reaction. 😁 😁

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/play-57de2a3ac000da9
Do you think TJD will guard Edey or will they try to use Thompson and Reneau with TDJ as a secondary defender?

I'm guessing when Furst is in the game with Edey, Purdue will use Furst as the primary defender on TJD and double with Edey. It's been generally effective when Purdue does that but does leave the occasional back door layup or kickout to a shooter. The rest of Purdue's players have been really good at getting into the proper rotations so it hasn't burned us as much as I'd have thought.

Do you think TJD will guard Edey or will they try to use Thompson and Reneau with TDJ as a secondary defender?

I'm guessing when Furst is in the game with Edey, Purdue will use Furst as the primary defender on TJD and double with Edey. It's been generally effective when Purdue does that but does leave the occasional back door layup or kickout to a shooter. The rest of Purdue's players have been really good at getting into the proper rotations so it hasn't burned us as much as I'd have thought.
I would guess we just put Edey in ball screens like MSU did.

I could see edey staying low and forcing Davis to hit a couple longer shots before they adjust. Penn states center made 3 three right away because they were camping edey well below the 3 point line. I think furst will guard him. Wondering if they start Gillis though, and let first guard him when he and kaufman run together. Furst is a better matchup than kaufman I think. Be interesting to see.

What is so concerning to me is that even with Eddy in early foul trouble and RU scoring four out of four times in the closing minutes, they still only managed to win by a single point. PU is only one offensive rebound at the end of that game from being undefeated at 22-0. Man, that really sucks and I don’t normally use that sick word, this “suck” I just mentioned.

What is so concerning to me is that even with Eddy in early foul trouble and RU scoring four out of four times in the closing minutes, they still only managed to win by a single point. PU is only one offensive rebound at the end of that game from being undefeated at 22-0. Man, that really sucks and I don’t normally use that sick word, this “suck” I just mentioned.
The same can be said for their close losses too. Davidson, Nebraska, MSU, and Maryland. If a bounce in the last minute goes different in any of those games, they lose.

The same can be said for their close losses too. Davidson, Nebraska, MSU, and Maryland. If a bounce in the last minute goes different in any of those games, they lose.
I like the way you think. I don’t watch PU because when I do, those bounces you speak of always seem to go PU’s way.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I could see edey staying low and forcing Davis to hit a couple longer shots before they adjust. Penn states center made 3 three right away because they were camping edey well below the 3 point line. I think furst will guard him. Wondering if they start Gillis though, and let first guard him when he and kaufman run together. Furst is a better matchup than kaufman I think. Be interesting to see.
Furst on TJD? Oh God, please let it be so.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It's frustrating because teams are so close to beating Rutgers, but something about their style makes it difficult. Rutgers doesn't have the offense that will blow teams out. Rutgers will grind you down just enough to win. They make you play their game, which slows down the pace. Games are never going to be blowouts.

I think Woodson will run several guys at Edey to avoid foul trouble. Also, Woodson should run a double at Edey from different guys at different angles and at random times. When Edey thinks a double is coming, he can't get into his move to the basket. He starts looking to pass the ball back out. He stops thinking about scoring.

It's frustrating because teams are so close to beating Rutgers, but something about their style makes it difficult. Rutgers doesn't have the offense that will blow teams out. Rutgers will grind you down just enough to win. They make you play their game, which slows down the pace. Games are never going to be blowouts.
I think it's because Rutgers has elite perimeter defenders and a freak athlete in the post. McConnell is great. Mag is very good. Mulcahy is long and disruptive. And the guy you'd think you could go at (Spencer) somehow is 2nd in the B1G in steal %.

Pikiell knows what he wants to do and recruits to it.....damnit.

Furst on TJD? Oh God, please let it be so.
If they didn't double, I'd agree with you. But they will if Furst is guarding him.

Edey rarely gets in foul trouble. I'd put Edey on him if I were painter and play straight up. TJD's extreme athleticism hasn't played well against the massive dudes like Edey and Cockburn.

If TJD tried to take Edey out on the floor and drive him, I'd sag. There is no reason guard TJD outside of 15 feet because TJD won't shoot a jumper.

Sag the ball screens too, since TJD isn't a threat to pick and pop. Start that way against Race too, until he hits a jumper.

If I was IU, I'd look to use the guards to find midrange chances and floaters against the sag, or lobs when the sagging defender has to step up and stop drives.

If JHS and Gallo can execute in the mid range and make the right decision once he gets downhill, IU can win. But if the guards can't execute, it won't matter what TJD does.

If they didn't double, I'd agree with you. But they will if Furst is guarding him.

Edey rarely gets in foul trouble. I'd put Edey on him if I were painter and play straight up. TJD's extreme athleticism hasn't played well against the massive dudes like Edey and Cockburn.

If TJD tried to take Edey out on the floor and drive him, I'd sag. There is no reason guard TJD outside of 15 feet because TJD won't shoot a jumper.

Sag the ball screens too, since TJD isn't a threat to pick and pop. Start that way against Race too, until he hits a jumper.

If I was IU, I'd look to use the guards to find midrange chances and floaters against the sag, or lobs when the sagging defender has to step up and stop drives.

If JHS and Gallo can execute in the mid range and make the right decision once he gets downhill, IU can win. But if the guards can't execute, it won't matter what TJD does.
I'm sure they'll double, and it will probably come come down to TJD' s assist number. But i wouldn't have him automatically pass out of a double-team if Furst is primary. The double only really works if he has to work a bit to get to the rim.

Ya, I doubt edey leaves the paint on D. MSU made a living off the mid-range jump shot until they went cold.

Nobody has mentioned that Purdue is unbeaten in neutral site and road games. That includes games at UM, MSU, OSU and PSU in a sold out Palestra.

The Palestra was switched to a home game in the ranking system by those who do such things.
Idgaf what the ranking system says. It wasn’t played at Bryce Jordan Center which is Penn St’s home arena. Why wasn’t the Davidson game a home game for Purdue?

Idgaf what the ranking system says. It wasn’t played at Bryce Jordan Center which is Penn St’s home arena. Why wasn’t the Davidson game a home game for Purdue?
You need to ask the basketball Gods who make such a decision. It was not Purdue’s decision so the PSU coach must have had a valid decision for making the change from the Jordan Center to Philadelphia.
I believe Purdue and Butler jointly scheduled the doubleheader for a number of reasons including but not limited to recruiting.

You need to ask the basketball Gods who make such a decision. It was not Purdue’s decision so the PSU coach must have had a valid decision for making the change from the Jordan Center to Philadelphia.

I believe Purdue and Butler jointly scheduled the doubleheader for a number of reasons including but not limited to recruiting.
Hey halfwit, Butler wasn’t there that day. It was Purdue vs Davisson and Ball St vs Illinois St. Purdue wasn’t able to convince any other respectable team to attend the event.

The Palestra was a neutral site game. If you can’t understand the difference between playing in your home gym and not, then it’s clear you never played the game.

I went to the game at the Palestra and went to the game at Bryce-Jordan last year. Yes, it was technically neutral site but there were easily twice as many Nit fans this year as last. I’d wager that’s why the NCAA reclassified it as a road game for Purdue.

I also think they did it because Penn State controlled the gate at the Palestra. That’s likely why the Davidson game was considered neutral.

I went to the game at the Palestra and went to the game at Bryce-Jordan last year. Yes, it was technically neutral site but there were easily twice as many Nit fans this year as last. I’d wager that’s why the NCAA reclassified it as a road game for Purdue.

I also think they did it because Penn State controlled the gate at the Palestra. That’s likely why the Davidson game was considered neutral.
You split the gate with Davidson?

There is still a difference between shooting on your home hoops and having the Home locker room than playing 3.5 hours away somewhere you never practice.

You split the gate with Davidson?

There is still a difference between shooting on your home hoops and having the Home locker room than playing 3.5 hours away somewhere you never practice.
I think we split the gate with Ball State.

Ryan’s in Lafayette closed years ago and is a quality Hispanic restaurant.
Covid closed buffets with greedy paws of fomites spewed in senseless acts of gluttony. I don't think anyone really misses them except maybe Mr Creosote. ("Would you like an after dinner mint? They're very thin.")

In its infinite wisdom, the NCAA announced that today's Rutgers vs Michigan State game to be played at Madison Square Garden is actually a Rutgers home game for NET purposes. Ridiculous, but that's how it's going to be considered in evaluating resumes.

Re: Rutgers and Purdue - we went right at Edey with Cliff on the first possession and got a foul called on him, then got a second foul on him midway through the half. That allowed us to build a big halftime lead. Our wing and perimeter defenders stayed home, making it hard for anyone but Edey to get much going. We extended pressure on the young guards, making it take time for Purdue to run their half court sets. Loyer had five points in the game before the last 77 seconds. He finished with ten.

I think that remains Purdue's weak spot. Pressure the guards and wings. Edey will get his but make it hard for the other guys to give him the ball where he wants it, and don't give them room outside. They are still very tough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT