ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell was that? Are we playing to win?

obviously on 4th and 8 from FG range down 3, you kick.

the problem was the play calling the 3 plays before
The 3rd down call on their last possession was bad too! Run up the gut for 2yrds on 3rd and 5-6! We kicked them deep, but you go for the 1st down in that situation ALWAYS!

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
We drop a punt, give up a fifty yard kickoff, miss an easy field goal and give up a 50 yard pass with a minute left in the game and you think we lost the game because we played for a tie instead of a win? There were a lot bigger factors in losing that game than avoiding throwing the ball into the teeth of the nations best pass defense with a freshman quarterback.

All of those things are also a sign of crappy leadership and coaching. Or maybe just a lack of solid coaching and leadership.

But in no world, in that situation, can you take that approach. The things you mention probably make the decision to “go for the win” even more clear.

Obviously doesn’t mean you have to throw it up for grabs 3 times and see what happens. But even 1 “safe” pass…1 creative reverse type run…anything. So weak. Makes the OSU game and the Louisville play calls make a lot more sense though.

We drop a punt, give up a fifty yard kickoff, miss an easy field goal and give up a 50 yard pass with a minute left in the game and you think we lost the game because we played for a tie instead of a win? There were a lot bigger factors in losing that game than avoiding throwing the ball into the teeth of the nations best pass defense with a freshman quarterback.
All the mistakes you point out were indeed costly. I think the different level of disappointment, in the three calls prior to the fg, is that the calls point to a staff having an overall philosophy of playing “not to lose” in crunchtime.
For decades I have watched IU muff punts, give up long passes etc but when we have the chance to beat PSU on the road please have the mindset of trying to get our first ever win at Happy Valley rather than running up the middle multiple times for a tie.

All the mistakes you point out were indeed costly. I think the different level of disappointment, in the three calls prior to the fg, is that the calls point to a staff having an overall philosophy of playing “not to lose” in crunchtime.
For decades I have watched IU muff punts, give up long passes etc but when we have the chance to beat PSU on the road please have the mindset of trying to get our first ever win at Happy Valley rather than running up the middle multiple times for a tie.
It was very clear in real time that even if Indiana kick the field goal there was still going to be plenty of time for Penn State to March down the field and score another touchdown. And even if they had not scored the touchdown, which they scored with great ease once Indiana's defense was back on their heels, the game was going to overtime on the road and the Hoosiers were likely to lose.

It was as obvious as Tennessee going with the on-side kick. It was as obvious as Darren Hiller needing to be fired after the 2021 season. It was as obvious as Walt Bell needing to be fired after the 2022 season.

But put Tom Allen in a situation that requires critical thinking and instead he's going to be running around on the sideline shaking hands jumping up and down and head butting players who are wearing helmets .

Even committing to the run the Hoosiers could have put some razzle dazzle into their play calling and still kick the field goal even if they lost yardage.

This is Tom's staff. If Rod Carey is making those calls it is because Tom Allen put him there. Buck stops with him.

It was chicken shit and they paid for it.
Can’t disagree with that, was simply emphasizing that it was RC’s call. In fairness, we had been able to run it a little, so I don’t have a problem with trying to do that while eating some clock. But second and / or third down could’ve been much more aggressive, and we played it safe. Then the D simply couldn’t make plays when we needed them to, though they kept us in the game up to that point.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Tom Allen is a joke. You’re 2-5 and lost like 16 of 18 conference games and you call those 2 plays at the 20 yard line with 3 minutes to go. It’s just sickening

Considering you're a 30+ point dog with a chance to score the potential game winning TD, it looked like a TERRIBLE piece of coaching.

Reactions: midwolfe
Such a chicken chit moment.

Further solidifies that all the emotion and rah rah stuff is BS.

In what F-ing program, in any situation, do you run 3 straight vanilla run plays, in THAT situation.
In the program that doesn’t know how to win games, and in the program that had given up 10 points directly due to turnovers. RC was worried that Sorsby would get pressured and throw another pick, and the game would’ve ended right there had he done so. Not saying I agree with him, but I guarantee you that’s what he was thinking.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think Sorsby couldn’t be relied upon to fire the ball, and Cary knew it.
Penn State apparently thought as much too.
IU had a chance to win the game.
Complain about the safety, the go ahead TD, but not this.

I think Sorsby couldn’t be relied upon to fire the ball, and Cary knew it.
Penn State apparently thought as much too.
IU had a chance to win the game.
Complain about the safety, the go ahead TD, but not this.
I respectfully completely disagree.
PSU thinking we would run, and that Sorsby couldn’t “fire the ball”, is exactly why we shouldn’t have gone up the gut 3 times. They were sitting on runs up the middle.
We had nothing to lose and a chance to win at PSU for the first time ever. Try to win!!

It was very clear in real time that even if Indiana kick the field goal there was still going to be plenty of time for Penn State to March down the field and score another touchdown. And even if they had not scored the touchdown, which they scored with great ease once Indiana's defense was back on their heels, the game was going to overtime on the road and the Hoosiers were likely to lose.

It was as obvious as Tennessee going with the on-side kick. It was as obvious as Darren Hiller needing to be fired after the 2021 season. It was as obvious as Walt Bell needing to be fired after the 2022 season.

But put Tom Allen in a situation that requires critical thinking and instead he's going to be running around on the sideline shaking hands jumping up and down and head butting players who are wearing helmets .

Even committing to the run the Hoosiers could have put some razzle dazzle into their play calling and still kick the field goal even if they lost yardage.
Kids dropping balls or etc. is going to happen but the staff being so clueless as to the value of 4 additional points in that moment just feels insurmountably hopeless.

In the program that doesn’t know how to win games, and in the program that had given up 10 points directly due to turnovers. RC was worried that Sorsby would get pressured and throw another pick, and the game would’ve ended right there had he done so. Not saying I agree with him, but I guarantee you that’s what he was thinking.
Wouldn’t have ended there. Unless it’s a pick 6. Everyone was lauding their offensive improvements. Have a little trust and run something that has a prayer of success.

Throw a pick over the middle, still have 3 timeouts. And you have them pinned deep with 5 minutes to go. In what universe has IU EVER held a team like PSU from scoring after tying the game in that situation.

If that was Carey’s thought, he isn’t the next guy for the job either.

It was weak. And it wasn’t smart. If you’re coaching against a pick 6, why even play the game at all.

Wouldn’t have ended there. Unless it’s a pick 6. Everyone was lauding their offensive improvements. Have a little trust and run something that has a prayer of success.

Throw a pick over the middle, still have 3 timeouts. And you have them pinned deep with 5 minutes to go. In what universe has IU EVER held a team like PSU from scoring after tying the game in that situation.

If that was Carey’s thought, he isn’t the next guy for the job either.

It was weak. And it wasn’t smart. If you’re coaching against a pick 6, why even play the game at all.
No, we very likely don’t get the ball back. The D was out of gas, as we saw in PSUs last possession. We rode them into the ground, and the coaches knew it. We throw a pick down there and the game is over. Guarantee that’s what he was thinking, especially since BS had already given it up once and tends to float the ball when he throws. If Allen goes, RC won’t get hired.

No, we very likely don’t get the ball back. The D was out of gas, as we saw in PSUs last possession. We rode them into the ground, and the coaches knew it. We throw a pick down there and the game is over. Guarantee that’s what he was thinking, especially since BS had already given it up once and tends to float the ball when he throws. If Allen goes, RC won’t get hired.
Incredibly weak. They were never going to get a better chance than that one. They couldn’t hold Akron from scoring in similar situations.

There’s also the mental side of this.

We just whipped their ass and got us the ball there and THATS what you call? Defense thinking that.

I guarantee some wind went out of the defenses sails. They had less energy than if we’d have thrown a pick.

Reactions: DCDAVID

And, yet, Penn State had no problem slinging the ball around in their own territory with the game tied.
It’s pure chicken shit football to play the “what if” game with your QB in the waning minutes. Sorsby played like a tough sumbitch the whole game and then you just decide to not let him go try and win it?
It’s why Allen has no business running a program at any level. These type of games deserve a coach with some poise on the sidelines at the end, not some guy jumping around losing his shit when it time to critically plan how to go win it.

That’s just idiotic thinking. The game was over when we settled for a field goal to tie. Trying to get the game to overtime (best case scenario) at that point in the game and in that situation was loser mentality.

And, yet, Penn State had no problem slinging the ball around in their own territory with the game tied.
It’s pure chicken shit football to play the “what if” game with your QB in the waning minutes. Sorsby played like a tough sumbitch the whole game and then you just decide to not let him go try and win it?
It’s why Allen has no business running a program at any level. These type of games deserve a coach with some poise on the sidelines at the end, not some guy jumping around losing his shit when it time to critically plan how to go win it.
Sounds like Carey made the decision. If I’m Dolson, that just eliminated him from contention if I’m considering moving on Allen at years end.

I’m just trying to give you guys insight into what the coaches (specifically RC) were thinking during that final series. It didn’t get us the lead, so it’s automatically bad play calls in the minds of some people, which is how many fans will see it. BS had already thrown a bad pick that cost us earlier, and he’d sailed a couple of balls that he was lucky to get back. They wanted to eat clock, keep the D off the field as long as possible (they were absolutely gassed), and come out of it with at least a tie. People hate the lack of aggression but we had some success running it in the second half and they wanted to see if that would work. I wouldn’t have been as conservative as they were, but it’s hard to blame them for not fully trusting our offense to make plays against a really good D in that situation.

I’m just trying to give you guys insight into what the coaches (specifically RC) were thinking during that final series. It didn’t get us the lead, so it’s automatically bad play calls in the minds of some people, which is how many fans will see it. BS had already thrown a bad pick that cost us earlier, and he’d sailed a couple of balls that he was lucky to get back. They wanted to eat clock, keep the D off the field as long as possible (they were absolutely gassed), and come out of it with at least a tie. People hate the lack of aggression but we had some success running it in the second half and they wanted to see if that would work. I wouldn’t have been as conservative as they were, but it’s hard to blame them for not fully trusting our offense to make plays against a really good D in that situation.

Drivel. At some point we were going to need to throw it around. What would their mind set in overtime had been? Run it three times up the middle and kick?

We needed to go 25 yards to win the game. Instead we ran in between the tackles three times and figured it was better to take our chances kicking it back to PSU with 4 minutes left and hopefully get the game to overtime.

Reactions: IUgradman
Well one thing we know is Pedefile St. sucks. They will never dethrone O$U or meatchicken in the B1G. Oregen, UCLA, USC, Washington will kick pSU's a$$. I love IU, i live here go 2 every game but we are a midling 2 bottom feeder in football forever. But basketball, baseball, swimming, soccer, will keep us strong. I went 2 the louisville game in indy as well, and will attend the illinoise game too. I've accepted my fuc(*ng fate in life! Drink up

Drivel. At some point we were going to need to throw it around. What would their mind set in overtime had been? Run it three times up the middle and kick?

We needed to go 25 yards to win the game. Instead we ran in between the tackles three times and figured it was better to take our chances kicking it back to PSU with 4 minutes left and hopefully get the game to overtime.
If we take a sack that makes for a tougher kick that our shaky fails to convert or BS throws another pick, the critics would’ve been howling about those play calls, too. It’s what fans who’ve never played do.

If we take a sack that makes for a tougher kick that our shaky fails to convert or BS throws another pick, the critics would’ve been howling about those play calls, too. It’s what fans who’ve never played do.
No, they’d have been saying you can’t take a sack there.

“Let’s goooo!!!! Let’s goooo!!!! Great job D!!! Ok, everyone calm down. Tom, Sorsby threw that pick a while ago. And I saw him looking longingly over at the Penn State sideline. I think he wants to lose. We better just run it right up the middle three times.”

“Really? Nothing like a planned QB draw or anything?”

“Nah. Too risky. He might forget it’s a draw and throw it. Needs to be the same play 3 times in a row.”

“I don’t know seems kinda weak. But you’re the new guru. I’m gonna say it was your call though if we can’t run 3 dives successfully against Penn States defense…that must be fresh as a daisy since ours seems so gassed and all. I do guess the extra 2 minutes will get them all powered back up though. Did Brendan hear our plan? Why does he look so pissed?”

I’m with you.

There were definitely grumblings in the stands about the 3rd down call, but CTAs explanation in the post-game made sense to me.

They HAD been fairly successful running the ball. And while I would have preferred them to take a shot on first down, I can’t say the concept of trying to go in and score on the ground and kill some clock was a patently wrong decision on Carey’s part.

For the 3rd down call, I 100% agree that if a pass had been dialed up that resulted with a sack, INT, or fumble and lost the game that way everyone would be howling too. Maybe there’s some wisdom/honor in going down swinging if that happened? But I’ve settled down.

That was a great game to watch. The boys really fought back even when they were down 10. The first loss this season where TMFT Jr didn’t get emotional walking out of the stadium because IU was right there as a heavy underdog.

It wasn’t that horrible of a call. If we come away with no points and PSU had simply run clock down the field and runs it out then we lose just the same. We forced them to score and they did but they could have fail to score or turned it over. If we had scored a td on that drive we would have forced them to score a td which they did anyway.

I’m with you.

There were definitely grumblings in the stands about the 3rd down call, but CTAs explanation in the post-game made sense to me.

They HAD been fairly successful running the ball. And while I would have preferred them to take a shot on first down, I can’t say the concept of trying to go in and score on the ground and kill some clock was a patently wrong decision on Carey’s part.

For the 3rd down call, I 100% agree that if a pass had been dialed up that resulted with a sack, INT, or fumble and lost the game that way everyone would be howling too. Maybe there’s some wisdom/honor in going down swinging if that happened? But I’ve settled down.

That was a great game to watch. The boys really fought back even when they were down 10. The first loss this season where TMFT Jr didn’t get emotional walking out of the stadium because IU was right there as a heavy underdog.
...and IU was averaging 4ypc for the game...do believe RC could been a little more adventurous with 1 of the 3 plays but talking out the other side of my mouth I do own 1000% hindsight skill...

Maybe that's why Allen has only won 2 BIG games in 3 years. Gutless.
I think it's more like he felt he was so close to a career-defining and job-saving victory that he was going to play it absurdly safe. But we know how that goes in the game of football. Here's the other thing. OK, so we tied it thinking we'll go to OT. But we should have been thinking that Penn State could score a TD, which they naturally did. Also, does anyone on here believe if we went to OT at 24-24 in that stadium that the refs would let us win?

You may have discovered the cause of IU's current problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT