ADVERTISEMENT

What is the most prestigious award any of you D-bags has ever won?

Re: Nice story. I like how you held onto Dennis Green's letter.

Nope. Played a lot of the usual softball and flag football until I got married and we had kids- now do some triathlons and watch a lot of kids soccer.

My professional career of sales has put me in a competitive environment. Sr. VP, Sales for a specialty pharma company.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You're welcome

They were designed to target kids in the 18 month to 2 year old range. That is the age with the highest accidental poisoning rate. They are tested with kids between 42 and 51 months old and need to pass at greater than a 80%. Seniors are tested as part of a Senior Friendly act that the CPSC ratified in the mid 90's.

So you must fall into the 20% of seniors that are unable to open it, or the 80% of 4 year old kids that can't read directions or have the strength or dexterity to open a package. You can request non-child resistant packaging on prescriptions if you want to kill your children and be in a Nationwide ad.

both are pretty impressive, did you keep playing golf after HS (assuming

this was a high school award?)? What HS? 25-25 FT's is impressive anytime, but especially in 5th grade. Did you ever see any posts about the FT golf game I used with my rec league teams? Combines 2 loves of yours. You shoot 18 FTs per round, a perfect swish is a birdie, a make is a par and a miss is a bogey. Think my best is -9; if you can still shoot FT's like that, I bet you can get well in to double digits under par. Let me know what you shoot if you give it a try. Someone else on here was shooting like -12 or better I believe. I've made 18-18, but I'm not a great shooter so I draw iron on a lot of my makes.

Now I feel much better...

and much smarter. Probably a bad idea but we take empty bottles after being cleaned and give them to our kids. The 1 1/2 year old will play with it for hours (alright 20mins which is hours to a toddler) trying to get it open. May be training a kid that can open a child proof bottle so may need to stop that.

I hold the all-time forever mile record at Southport Middle School because

they went metric not long after. I was back in the 'hood a couple summers ago with my son, and my name is still on their record board. It was a big sore spot with a good friend, because they had a rule that you had to win the race to get the record. He actually ran several seconds faster than me but got beat in that race, so technically I still have the record even though he had the better time and should have the actual record. I still like to tweak him about that.

I've won a couple of professional awards with a business group that I'm in, but they would only incur mockery on the OTF!

Sister Act II on vhs tape......

I was attending a basketball game at Anderson University and my ticket stub number was pulled for the halftime shooting contest. The contest was sponsored by a local movie rental store. This was around 1992 or 1993 so I don't believe laser discs had even made the scene yet. Strictly VHS movies at that time. So, I go down onto the court and make a layup which equaled one movie rental. Next was a free throw which I made and was good for snacks at the store or something along those lines. In hindsight, I now think it is really weird that they never said what you had the potential to win before the shot but told you what you won after making a shot.

Unfortunately, I missed the three pointer and the last shot was the half court shot. Knowing that this was a sponsored halftime event, I thought the prize for making it might be free rentals for a month or maybe even a year, winning a vhs player (which still had some value of around $200 + at the time) was not that far of a fetch if I made it. After being handed the ball by someone from the school, I shot it and nailed it. The crowd goes crazy and the announcer says, "Congratulations to our participant, Tom! For hitting the half court shot he wins a brand new copy of Sister Act II". I still get phone calls or texts from my buddies who laugh while asking me if I'm watching Game Day or whatever to see if a kid hits a shot for 100k or a car, etc.

"not to brag"? I thought that was the whole damn point!

well done!

St. Xavier Award for Excellence in English.

It's not much, but it was cool to be honored by instructors and peers for my writing ability.

Wondering what happened since then, for sure.

I had offers to play collegiate golf, including Butler,

But went to IU and was allowed to try out for team. That lasted all of about 2 weeks. I was seriously burnt on golf by that time, and found other things to do at IU (imagine that).

As for free throws, I am now 50, so hitting 25-25 might be a task, but I am still coaching youth basketball, and still shoot quite a bit. With a little practice, I could get close.

Track & Soccer were my specialties

HS Track: School records in the 800, 4x800 & 4x400 (all still standing). 10x conference champ in those events plus long jump. Took 2 4x800 teams to state (placing 9th once, pretty incredible for a 2A school to do that 2 years in a row, with only myself returning for the 2nd year). Placed 8th in the 800 individually twice. Actually won 3 of 4 races at state, but never was able to break into the fast heat. For some reason, I always sucked up the track at Regionals. I was the 5th fastest sophomore in the nation in the 800m in 1999 (ran 1:55.2 when I was 15). Trouble was, I didn't really get much faster after that. If there had been classes/divisions in track, we probably would've won a 2A state title my junior year.

HS Soccer: All-time leader in goals & assists. We knocked off a top 10-15 ranked Northrop team in the sectionals my sophomore year. Played on the state ODP team for 5-6 years, led the team in goals 1 year at the regional camp. Played club soccer with Beasley & several guys that went on to win national championships at IU.

College Track: Never really reached my potential here, though ran on the traveling squad and ran in the conference championships all four years. 3rd place finish in 4x400 at Ivy League Championships. I really regret not joining the soccer team in college.

Edit: oh, and voted "Most Athletic" & "Best Facial Expressions" for Senior Superlatives.

This post was edited on 2/3 11:20 AM by booyah31183

It was Wicker Park

I remember being near the water ... plus how cold it was. It sounds like your HS coach gave you some valuable advise to last a lifetime. That letter from Dennis Green is fantastic, great story.

I use to make many late night trips to DePauw with those same 'region' friends. Their best friend was going to DePauw that first year.

Raleigh is a great area.

I forgot about the Spelling Bee

I won in 4th grade for the elementary grade Spelling Bee. In 5th grade, I was runner up for the 5th - 8th grade Spelling Bee.

I lost on 'turret.'

Re: Now I feel much better...

Might not be good to play with, because they are child resistant, not child proof. At some point they will figure how to open them, but it is nice to know they work at the target age. The testing length is 10 minutes. Actually 5 minutes, a demonstration, and then another 5 minutes where the tester informs the kid they can use their teeth if they want to. I hate that part of the test, but I have never seen a kid lose a tooth. I have seen bloody gums and green slime on test packages.

Re: I had offers to play collegiate golf, including Butler,

we're close in age, I'm 49 and went to Southport. What HS did you go to? I had family all over Johnson County, mainly Greenwood, Franklin and Whiteland. I had a partial offer to run at Butler, but likewise opted to go to IU and had no shot at running there, nor the desire. Also managed to find other things to do!

Highest cumulative GPA of any graduating Kelley student in 08

They gave me a key for it.

This post was edited on 2/3 11:41 AM by BigRedBanners

I forgot to mention why my HS 800m record still stands

It's probably only still there because Andy Bayer didn't run the 800 much at all in HS. I'm guessing he could've taken it easily if he hadn't focused on the 3200 in HS.

You went to Leo?

Yes, he probably would have broken it, but a 1:55 isn't shabby either. Andy has some wheels. But more than that, he's a great guy. Really helped my son when he was in his first years at IU.

Not much, mostly sales awards. Our little company was the top buyer in the co-op we're in through 3 quarters and finished in the top 10 a few years ago, with over 300 members, including many regional companies that are much much larger. We won the top sales award for the SE region that year. I've won a trip to Mexico about 7 times and have never gone; always sending employees. Gonna plan to go if we win it this year.

longevity awards are for losers

Unless it's cash.

I have a 10 year award somewhere in my junk drawer. They did give me a $50 Amex gift card though, jerkoffs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Unless you work somewhere that makes or sells cool stuff and they let you choose that for your long service award. I have a much nicer home theater system in my bedroom than most have in their living room. The one in my living room is pretty sweet too.

9th place in the state in a bowling tournament as a wee lad is about the best I've ever done. I don't win shit which is why I don't gamble.

Reactions: Moops
I forgot to mention why my HS 800m record still stands

It's probably only still there because Andy Bayer didn't run the 800 much at all in HS. I'm guessing he could've taken it easily if he hadn't focused on the 3200 in HS.
Just read an article on Bayer. Sounds like he has a pretty good shot at making the Olympic team in the Steeplechase. Also said he gave up on the 1500 because he doesn't have elite 800 speed to use in tactical International races so maybe he could never have touched your 800 time.

I must say my life must be pretty pathetic because outside of some corporate pieces of paper that said I've done a great job, the only thing I can think of is a most improved player award in baseball in 3rd grade. Mind you I was a pretty awful baseball player so to win this award only required I make contact with the baseball at least once instead of my usual strike out. I mostly blame this on bad eyes. I ended up needing glasses that same year.

Now as for what prestigious award would I most aspire to win. I suppose in somewhat particular order:

1) Nobel Prize - probably for peace, economics or literature in that order

2) Medal of Honor or Purple Heart, Legion of Honor (not French, but I like the name and it'd be cool to win an award founded by Napoleon

3) Olympic Gold Medal in Hockey sounds pretty awesome and I don't even follow the sport

4) Golden Boot award in the world cup - score that many goals and I'm sure you could score all the ho's you'd want

5) Oscar for Best Picture - if you could convince all those Hollywood a-holes you made the best picture that must account for something

6) A Pulitzer, Caldecott, or Newberry award for literature would be pretty cool. I'd love to have a book with one of those prestigious seals on it.
twins

Just read an article on Bayer. Sounds like he has a pretty good shot at making the Olympic team in the Steeplechase. Also said he gave up on the 1500 because he doesn't have elite 800 speed to use in tactical International races so maybe he could never have touched your 800 time.

I just had dinner with his family a couple weeks ago. Reconnected with his older brother, who was one of my best childhood friends. Andy's mom was saying that he's been training with a couple of the best in the Steeple and is finally feeling like he can run with them and maybe overtake them.

I have 28 trophy points from Rivals, 28!

I have 63, loser, and IDEKWTFTAF

If you clicked on your profile to see how many trophies you have, you are a loser.

Except @mk_peters who originated it as a worthwhile life accomplishment. The rest of you are sad.

I don't know how many trophies I have. But I'm sure I will join the ranks of you other sad losers as soon as my curiosity gets the best of me.

If you clicked on your profile to see how many trophies you have, you are a loser.

Except @mk_peters who originated it as a worthwhile life accomplishment. The rest of you are sad.

I don't know how many trophies I have. But I'm sure I will join the ranks of you other sad losers as soon as my curiosity gets the best of me.
you have 113. Which makes you king of the message boards?

865431.jpg

I just had dinner with his family a couple weeks ago. Reconnected with his older brother, who was one of my best childhood friends. Andy's mom was saying that he's been training with a couple of the best in the Steeple and is finally feeling like he can run with them and maybe overtake them.
BTW if you don't mind me asking what was your best 800?

The 12 yr old has zero shot at any of the Junior High records at HSE. The girls 800 record is like 2:20 and the 1600 record is like 5:10. I think the High Jump record is 5'4". All of those marks would get you in or close to the state track meet. In High School.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT