ADVERTISEMENT

What is goming on with all the empty seats?

I agree with you - and not just an IU issue either.

The student balcony probably had less than 20 people. K, L, and M were lots of open seats.

I thought with no football at all, the Saturday 2:00 game would be well attended.

People are getting less and less thrilled to spend money on a team unless it is ridiculously good. Fan loyalty has died off.

Partially...the on court product has been lacking for awhile and that hurts. However, it sounds like it is mostly students that are not attending, I would seriously consider yanking their tickets against teams like this and start offering them as single game packages to the public. There are plenty of people who would gobble up those seats, particularly on a weekend, if the students don't want them.

The large block of empty seats were in student area. Not sure why we keep giving the students this large section.

Student attendance outside of big games has been a problem for a decade. Fred is so proud of this "largest student section" crap while they don't come and there is a waiting list for tickets.

As I say each and every year...Fred...sell about 2,500 of those seats to young alumni and others that cant get season tickets. I started in the balcony and it isn't that bad.

Reactions: stollcpa
I seem to re all when I went there, you got a package deal -half the home games in 1 package- then you waited for the next set to be available to you. Those seats were already sold and the students who had those seats chose not to go. Unless they've changed the way it is done, students are not sold single game packages so taking away the lesser games from the students in that format cant be done

I seem to re all when I went there, you got a package deal -half the home games in 1 package- then you waited for the next set to be available to you. Those seats were already sold and the students who had those seats chose not to go. Unless they've changed the way it is done, students are not sold single game packages so taking away the lesser games from the students in that format cant be done

Take away their entire season package. There are people waiting to buy season tickets.

When I was there we got half the games if you got any.

They get them all now so they stay home and watch minor games on 60" HDs with beer and bathrooms or they go to one of the bars. Sell them to someone who wants them Fred.

I believe it to be based upon several possible factors, in combination, proportion unknown:
1. Haven't you heard? Bob's not coming back!
2. Higher number of foreign students attending IU (think sumo wrestling)
3. The Internet - our world, as we once knew of it, has been expanded
beyond Assembly Hall
4. 9/11
5. Myles Brand with his egotistical minions of twisted intentions
6. Millennials
7. The NBA draft
8. Overexposure (think Nascar)
9. Lack of a polarizing personality leading the program (think #1)
10. The current popularity of more urban environments, outside of nature.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Almost every program has them. Ours were in the lower level Saturday.
Students don't really care about going to college games, anymore, at most schools. Think the University should make a single pass for the students to buy season tickets. If they don't want them, give them up to the general public.

Students don't really care about going to college games, anymore, at most schools. Think the University should make a single pass for the students to buy season tickets. If they don't want them, give them up to the general public.

It is more simple than that. We all saw the east side pictures from tipoff with the student section and faculty staff sections nearly empty (yes I know they filled in somewhat).

Fred needs to sell 2,500 student tickets and 1,000 faculty staff seats to the waiting list.

That is a great idea. It is a lot better when the Hall is full. Last night was very quiet
I was sitting mid court row 16 opposite the benches and it wasn't quiet in the AH. It definitely wasn't super loud either.

Few if any people in the balconies. Top 8 or nine rows in the corners were virtually empty.

After 20 years of strange happenings in the basketball program, changes in student culture and entertainment options available, plus record cold and a somewhat lackluster month of opponents...that and considering that last year's injuries and performance during the in-conference streak of losses...one shouldn't be surprised at the showing in AH this November. Tickets are available if you want them.

Complaining about the lack of attendance at the games mostly by people who don't go...heh...

By the way...walked through the Union immediately after the game...lots of students studying. Maybe I should have done more of that instead of going to all of the basketball games and football games and soccer games and watching intramural rugby and going to Jefferson Airplane, B B King, Byrds, CSNY, Chicago, theater performances, the Bluebird, and spelunking, Little 5...and hanging out at the quarries and Griffy and camping in Nebo Ridge, opening night of Star Wars, parties at that rental on 11th, anti-war marches, dating that cute girl in Forest Quad, Reed Quad, DGs, GDI...naw.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
The games on a work day start at 6:00 where I live and it is a 2 hour drive to Btown. I have to leave at 3:00 to get to town, park, and get to my seats. We have to leave earlier if we want to grab an early dinner before the game.

I like to get up for the home opener, but the games after that aren't worth the effort against teams we have never heard of.

Saturday games are different. We can spend the day in Btown, spend the night if we want to have fun after the game, or drive home. People from the North have bigger problems than we do from the South. Our friends we meet to tailgate at the football games are always delayed either getting out of Indy or at some point along 37. Construction, wrecks, or just traffic seem to pop up unexpectedly every week. I would expect weekdays after people get off work are far worse than Saturday mornings or early afternoon. Several times it has taken me less driving time to get to Btown than our friends from Indy thanks to God's Highway.

I would rather see people fill Memorial Stadium against UM in a little over a week than slugging it out on the road to watch IU vs Troy.

Reactions: cryano
The season starts in Madison. These warmup games are about as interesting as watching a game at the old HYPER.

If I have the inclination to watch an exciting college game, in an electric atmosphere, I’ll flip on the tv and watch a higher caliber game.
It’s hard enough watching these games on TV, I couldn’t imagine driving hours to attend in person.

in the old days it was nice to drive down to Bloomington for a holiday classic against two cupcake teams. But, that was at the tail end of a pre-season where we got a pretty good measuring stick of where we were at. Call me old school, but I preferred having the non conference end before conference play began in January.

Reactions: snarlcakes
The season starts in Madison. These warmup games are about as interesting as watching a game at the old HYPER.

If I have the inclination to watch an exciting college game, in an electric atmosphere, I’ll flip on the tv and watch a higher caliber game.
It’s hard enough watching these games on TV, I couldn’t imagine driving hours to attend in person.

in the old days it was nice to drive down to Bloomington for a holiday classic against two cupcake teams. But, that was at the tail end of a pre-season where we got a pretty good measuring stick of where we were at. Call me old school, but I preferred having the non conference end before conference play began in January.
It is an effort to get to Bloomington from Dayton now. Only major construction slowdown midafternoon on Tuesday was west of Richmond on I-70 westbound. Down to one lane and a wreck. Martinsville on 37 was down to one lane but we zipped through with only one or two blocks slowed.

The game was outstanding to attend! Great atmosphere. Warmups, walking down close. Seeing one's favorite team and the new faces in person.

Watching the whole court and the nuances missed on TV is golden. The crowd was moderately noisy at first. As IU's defense broke down and 5 players went to one side of the court after the ballhandler...leaving their shooters open...the crowd sat. They got more lively at times in the second half. Isn't like conference play or seeing the Wat shot...no.

But it is phenomenal to see all the real talent being displayed. 10 or 11 deep can score. These guys are long and tall. That will come in handy when they really do the packline defense well. Need some screens and off ball movement at times. These guys share the ball and like each other.

Go to the early games. Get on stub hub or your favorite site...beg, borrow, or somehow get tickets and go. You will not be sorry you did it. Take a day off. Take your family.

My only complaint is that the Upland Brewing Co. did not have a lager or amber. Settled for an Irish stout. Great service. Great beer.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
It is an effort to get to Bloomington from Dayton now. Only major construction slowdown midafternoon on Tuesday was west of Richmond on I-70 westbound. Down to one lane and a wreck. Martinsville on 37 was down to one lane but we zipped through with only one or two blocks slowed.

The game was outstanding to attend! Great atmosphere. Warmups, walking down close. Seeing one's favorite team and the new faces in person.

Watching the whole court and the nuances missed on TV is golden. The crowd was moderately noisy at first. As IU's defense broke down and 5 players went to one side of the court after the ballhandler...leaving their shooters open...the crowd sat. They got more lively at times in the second half. Isn't like conference play or seeing the Wat shot...no.

But it is phenomenal to see all the real talent being displayed. 10 or 11 deep can score. These guys are long and tall. That will come in handy when they really do the packline defense well. Need some screens and off ball movement at times. These guys share the ball and like each other.

Go to the early games. Get on stub hub or your favorite site...beg, borrow, or somehow get tickets and go. You will not be sorry you did it. Take a day off. Take your family.

My only complaint is that the Upland Brewing Co. did not have a lager or amber. Settled for an Irish stout. Great service. Great beer.

Thanks for the comments.

I am planning in taking my son to at least one game. Never been to Upland but did have a sour from them once that was outstanding.

I agree with you - and not just an IU issue either.

The student balcony probably had less than 20 people. K, L, and M were lots of open seats.

I thought with no football at all, the Saturday 2:00 game would be well attended.
Was watching some of the McNeese @ Wisconsin game last night and nearly half the seats in Kohl lower section were empty. So it’s not just us.

I just bought tix for this Saturday. I was across the court from you last Saturday. Tickets are cheap and nothing beats watching a game in SSAH. Instead of complaining about low attendance, we are suiting up and showing up. If more were like us, there would be one less thing to complain about!

Thanks for the comments.

I am planning in taking my son to at least one game. Never been to Upland but did have a sour from them once that was outstanding.

Upland's beer is good. Their food is only average at best.

Tough to swallow but the program and student support is not the same anymore. Many of us grew up when IU was a serious contender for titles almost every year. I couldn't wait to get to IU and go to every game I could. It was THE highlight of going to IU hands down. I was there for the '87 championship. Talk about unforgettable. The kids there now grew up when Mike Davis was coach and the train went off the tracks. They don't care as much.

Tough to swallow but the program and student support is not the same anymore. Many of us grew up when IU was a serious contender for titles almost every year. I couldn't wait to get to IU and go to every game I could. It was THE highlight of going to IU hands down. I was there for the '87 championship. Talk about unforgettable. The kids there now grew up when Mike Davis was coach and the train went off the tracks. They don't care as much.

today's players were 8 yrs old Davis's last yr at IU, IU made the 2nd round of the NCAAs that yr, and would have been a top ten team that yr had DJ not gotten injured for the season.

best today's kids don't remember those days though, as while the team wasn't that bad, much of the fan base was a total disgrace to IU and to themselves.

I believe it to be based upon several possible factors, in combination, proportion unknown:
1. Haven't you heard? Bob's not coming back!
2. Higher number of foreign students attending IU (think sumo wrestling)
3. The Internet - our world, as we once knew of it, has been expanded
beyond Assembly Hall
4. 9/11
5. Myles Brand with his egotistical minions of twisted intentions
6. Millennials
7. The NBA draft
8. Overexposure (think Nascar)
9. Lack of a polarizing personality leading the program (think #1)
10. The current popularity of more urban environments, outside of nature.
east coast students...

Reactions: abraxis
east coast students...
Our more foreign natives of East Coast upbringing with parents of deep pocketbooks -They tend to reside in the high end apartment buildings on North College where a code of silence descended upon the “friends” of Lauren Spears. Basketball is not in their blood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT