ADVERTISEMENT

What is Brohm selling? PU got 2 more 4-stars in the last hour

Am I the only one that looks forward to a meaningful Bucket game? I’m tired of seeing 15,000 empty seats at both stadiums.

Reactions: Purdue11
I do think the administration panicked a bit. Tom Allen turned around the defense in one year and the players all loved him so they wanted to make sure he’d stay on. It’s tough to hire a new head coach with the caveat that they have to keep the existing D Coordinator. So they decided to just offer Allen. Which I wasn’t all that excited about. I wanted a national search and honestly, I wanted Brohm.
I was concerned that with Allen we'd end up with another Mike Davis situation. Time will tell, but I don't think that's the case. Brohm had been a head coach before, Allen had not. (No different from Wilson in that respect.) Allen had a learning curve he needed to climb, and my gut tells me he's got a much better handle on the job now than he did starting out.
But on the other hand you want a guy who is in it for the long haul and isn’t going to use the program as a stepping stone. We had that for a short time with Hep and we have it again with Allen. It might work out. Actually, I think if Allen doesn’t work out it’ll be more due to his sticking with Debord than it will have anything to do with his own shortcomings.
Debord didn't help himself any last year, but he didn't have much to work with in key spots and the injuries and resulting depth issues hurt us badly. Those areas seem to have been addressed to a great extent. Now I need to be convinced he's the guy going forward.

I'll be accused of settling for mediocrity, but I'll be happy with long term stability and winning seasons and the occasional glorious year when things fall together and we knock off the big boys. Think Northwestern. If Allen can achieve Mallory-like success, then we'll have come a long long way.

I hope this season's success doesn't come down to a Bucket win. Not that I think we can't beat Brohm and company, but that would mean that we would have porked away all of the breakthrough games on our schedule again. Any way we slice it, IU has got to start figuring out ways to knock off one of the BIG boys about every year or so or we will never keep a coach more than four or five years. I'm afraid the days of patience in College Sports have gone by the wayside.
If we always have four or five guaranteed losses on our schedule it will be tough to win all of the winnable games just to get bowling and keep momentum going. We always seem to find a way to fritter away a game or two we should win.

Hopefully CTA will get us strong enough to sustain some long term success.This old Hoosier fan is ready!
Go Hoosiers!

They just picked up commits from 2 studs tonight.

- TJ Scheffield (WR) - TN
- Steven Faucheux (DT) - OH

They already had commits from 4-stars:

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI
- Mershawn Rice (ATH) - OH
- George Karlaftis (DE) - IN

As much as we may want to downplay it, that's a real impressive haul in year 2. So what is Brohm selling that's causing this in-flow of top talent?

I think it's important for IU to pull in Cam Williams or some other heavies this year. I think things are headed in the right direction under Allen, but if Brohm stays a while, that could be a complication. The optics are important. All that said, I'm cheering for every Louisville opponent this year. ;)

The Faucheux kid is a bit of an enigma. The Spartans are desperate for DT's in this class, and many recruitnics on the MSU board kept asking a poster who apparently has close ties to the program, why MSU hadn't made a move on this recruit. He responded that both MSU, and OSU saw him in camp, and the coaches felt his development had peaked, and that other players had edged ahead of him. Programs that expressed interest in him early were no longer pursuing him. He was very high on PSU (visited multiple times), and they suddenly appeared to have lost interest in him.

Maybe the loss of interest by several programs that he coveted will be enough to spark motivation that will allow him to live up to his high ranking. We'll all learn the answer over the next several years.

The Faucheux kid is a bit of an enigma. The Spartans are desperate for DT's in this class, and many recruitnics on the MSU board kept asking a poster who apparently has close ties to the program, why MSU hadn't made a move on this recruit. He responded that both MSU, and OSU saw him in camp, and the coaches felt his development had peaked, and that other players had edged ahead of him. Programs that expressed interest in him early were no longer pursuing him. He was very high on PSU (visited multiple times), and they suddenly appeared to have lost interest in him.

Maybe the loss of interest by several programs that he coveted will be enough to spark motivation that will allow him to live up to his high ranking. We'll all learn the answer over the next several years.

As IU has found out the hard way in the past "all that glitters is not gold" ... We'll know who had the best class in about three years and not before... Arguing about it now, or even being concerned about it is a wasted effort (in my opinion)...

I was concerned that with Allen we'd end up with another Mike Davis situation. Time will tell, but I don't think that's the case. Brohm had been a head coach before, Allen had not. (No different from Wilson in that respect.) Allen had a learning curve he needed to climb, and my gut tells me he's got a much better handle on the job now than he did starting out.

Debord didn't help himself any last year, but he didn't have much to work with in key spots and the injuries and resulting depth issues hurt us badly. Those areas seem to have been addressed to a great extent. Now I need to be convinced he's the guy going forward.

I'll be accused of settling for mediocrity, but I'll be happy with long term stability and winning seasons and the occasional glorious year when things fall together and we knock off the big boys. Think Northwestern. If Allen can achieve Mallory-like success, then we'll have come a long long way.

I’d be alright with it if IU starts bowling with regularity and ideally wins some of those bowls. If we get a half dozen bowl seasons in a row we can start clamoring for more. And yes, it’d be nice to beat an OSU or Michigan is Penn State sometimes. Especially Michigan. We’re always right freaking there with those guys and can’t get the W.

At the rate both schools are recruiting,

From what I understand Faucheux wants to play DT and most programs think he is a better fit on the OL. Purdue pursued him to play DT like he wanted.

giphy.gif
From the ground up? Allen took over a program that had been to back to back bowls and returned 16 starters. He took the keys when IU was in its best position in decades.

Brohm took over a complete dumpster fire at one of the lowest points in program history. One year later look where they’re at. It’s time to get this train under control before it derails.
as MTOTF said. he did fairly well in the big sissy division.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
I’ve been saying this for over a year. Purdue made the big time hire and is reaping what they’ve sown. We’re doing the same. Anyone still want to argue this?

Both coaches are recruiting well. Brohm has more to sell in terms of PT, he should be killing IU with this class and he is not. Your position may ultimately prove to be true, but the early evidence is not there.

From the ground up? Allen took over a program that had been to back to back bowls and returned 16 starters. He took the keys when IU was in its best position in decades.

Brohm took over a complete dumpster fire at one of the lowest points in program history. One year later look where they’re at. It’s time to get this train under control before it derails.

It wasn't ground up obviously but Wilson had fumbled in the areas of OL and QB recruiting which is astonishing given his offensive reputation. Allen has a greater challenge than he should have.

Purdue is such an ugly duckling, no idea what kids see in that place. Four star players picking that dump is suspicious.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Both coaches are recruiting well. Brohm has more to sell in terms of PT, he should be killing IU with this class and he is not. Your position may ultimately prove to be true, but the early evidence is not there.

PT as a selling point is incredibly overrated. Most recruits aren’t going to play a live snap for a team until at least 2 years after they commit. In two years time the team won’t look anything like it did when they committed. Plus injuries happen. Even if a team looks like it will be full up at a certain position injuries can change that real quick.

Point being that I don’t think having PT available alone will lead to recruits lining up to play for someone. If it did then rutger would be top of the B1G in recruiting every year.

No actually it is very fair...
My question is how many players is IU on that their ratings are above an 86 that they realistically have a shot at? Purdue's remaining targets would all make their top 11 currently.

I mean no, not really. It leaves out the entire bottom half of Purdue’s class. A bottom half which isn’t very good.

Reactions: gmbenz
My question is how many players is IU on that their ratings are above an 86 that they realistically have a shot at? Purdue's remaining targets would all make their top 11 currently.

Now we are speculating on top targets? And which rating system are you wanting to use?

Point is that you are presenting recruit profiles to better suit your argument about PU having a good class and "wow we have a shot at this guy too!".

Take the rivals ranking for example. PU has five players ranked as 2 stars. IU has two 2 stars. IUs class must be better.

You're right let's compare it to IU's bottom half when both classes are done..
Purdue lowest ranked player is an 80. And that is a Punter who is ranked the #3 best punter in this class

And the lowest ranked recruit for IU right now is a LS ranked #1, #4, or #6 in the 19 class depending on where you look...

Do your homework before posting meaningless numbers side by side.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
My point was that you can find stats, articles and polls to back up any point you have, for or against.

The only place I see negative thoughts towards West Lafayette or Purdue is on these boards and that’s mainly because IU fans hate Purdue and are biased towards the town of Bloomington. I went to grad school in Bloomington and there’s no way I’d send my daughter to school there.

Luckily kids go on visits and don’t waste their time on message boards.

Why? What is wrong with IU? I never had any issues in my time there.

My point was that you can find stats, articles and polls to back up any point you have, for or against.

The only place I see negative thoughts towards West Lafayette or Purdue is on these boards and that’s mainly because IU fans hate Purdue and are biased towards the town of Bloomington. I went to grad school in Bloomington and there’s no way I’d send my daughter to school there.

Luckily kids go on visits and don’t waste their time on message boards.

Head over to OffTackleEmpire or reddit. All the B1G schools trash on West Lafayette. You don’t have to get defensive about it. Every town has problems. Bloomington has issues with homelessness and while I wouldn’t call it unsafe the crime rate isn’t exactly as low as, for instance, Fishers.

They just picked up commits from 2 studs tonight.

- TJ Scheffield (WR) - TN
- Steven Faucheux (DT) - OH

They already had commits from 4-stars:

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI
- Mershawn Rice (ATH) - OH
- George Karlaftis (DE) - IN

As much as we may want to downplay it, that's a real impressive haul in year 2. So what is Brohm selling that's causing this in-flow of top talent?

I think it's important for IU to pull in Cam Williams or some other heavies this year. I think things are headed in the right direction under Allen, but if Brohm stays a while, that could be a complication. The optics are important. All that said, I'm cheering for every Louisville opponent this year. ;)
Urgency…..he's pressing the gas pedal. What a wonderful resume builder to show schools that he can put together a national class at Purdue by August 1st. Pretty clear this will be Brohm's last season at Purdue, and he's done what he needed to do to impress the money schools with the record, bowl win, and now impressive recruit class, some of which he will bring with him to the SEC or ACC I'm sure.

Here’s a crazy thought: both schools are going to be, or at least appear to be, bringing in good classes full of multiple four stars and a lot of three stars. Which would set up a meaningful, competitive series.

I know, it’s a pretty wild idea.

(It’s also July)

Here’s a crazy thought: both schools are going to be, or at least appear to be, bringing in good classes full of multiple four stars and a lot of three stars. Which would set up a meaningful, competitive series.

I know, it’s a pretty wild idea.

(It’s also July)
Only one school has a class full of multiple four stars. The series might actually stay lopsided, just with a different team on top than has been the last few years.

Reactions: IUgradman
Glass hired the wrong coach. This is Tiller and Cameron all over again. I don’t like Purdue, but they said “f*** it” and went out and spent big bucks to get a good head coach. Fred went the cheap route.

Yeah.

We shoulda just resigned ourselves to another complete burndown after Wilson left.
That has always always worked in the past and its the only thing that woulda worked then.
Sort of like zone defense.
Get a whole new staff with a big name at the top, and give 'em 2-3 years to get some players in here.

Hiring a defensive guy was a mistake.
Even a good one.
Hell, even a GREAT one.
Offense has always been what got IU to the top.

I bet that Leach guy from Texas Tech woulda come here.
Maybe Mumme, or the guy at Troy who was their protege'
We coulda been slinging it Air Raid style.

Gradman would find fault with anyone Glass hired.

Tom Allen is in for the long haul, building a program from the ground up. I believe this is his destination job if he can succeed. If Brohm has any kind of success he's gone, and PU is back to square one.

Immediate gratification isn't what it's cracked up to be.
Wait just a second. What gives you or anyone else the idea that Allen is staying for the long haul? His previous stints don't indicate that he has in any way.

Allen building the program from the ground up? Only Glass fans would say that. That perception is exactly what the AD is hoping to fool the masses.

PT as a selling point is incredibly overrated. Most recruits aren’t going to play a live snap for a team until at least 2 years after they commit. In two years time the team won’t look anything like it did when they committed. Plus injuries happen. Even if a team looks like it will be full up at a certain position injuries can change that real quick.

Point being that I don’t think having PT available alone will lead to recruits lining up to play for someone. If it did then rutger would be top of the B1G in recruiting every year.

If those recruits don't play quickly, that team is in trouble.

I’ve been saying this for over a year. Purdue made the big time hire and is reaping what they’ve sown. We’re doing the same. Anyone still want to argue this?
Not sure about all of this hero worship of Brohm is all about. He got two more wins than Tom Allen in year one. IU had no proven running back, a ton of injuries on the offensive line which was inexperienced to begin with. Lost their best receiver from a year ago. They had a qb that was up and down and then played a freshman who was hurt, a they had some injuries on the defensive side of the ball and played a much tougher schedule than Purdue. Yes they blew the Maryland game and lost head to head to Purdue but I am not ready to say that Brohm is all that much better than Tom a Allen if he is at all

Don’t worry about Coach Deboard he is excellent football coach and play caller. As you said too many injuries in key spots and inexperience.

Reactions: LeConte
Wait just a second. What gives you or anyone else the idea that Allen is staying for the long haul? His previous stints don't indicate that he has in any way.
Seriously, have you listened to the guy speak? Do you know anything about his background? He's a native Hoosier. His previous stints didn't involve college head coaching positions. This is his dream job, like it was for Coach Hep. If he's successful, he's not going anywhere.

And he also beat us so that pretty much nullifies that argument. It would be different if we beat them and they still ended up with the better season.
did they beat us? yes. do they play in a weaker division? also yes.

Not with you because you suck. We all know what you think and the majority of this board thinks you're a crazy old man with ridiculous anti-IU opinions.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT