ADVERTISEMENT

What is Brohm selling? PU got 2 more 4-stars in the last hour

iu-in-philly

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2002
They just picked up commits from 2 studs tonight.

- TJ Scheffield (WR) - TN
- Steven Faucheux (DT) - OH

They already had commits from 4-stars:

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI
- Mershawn Rice (ATH) - OH
- George Karlaftis (DE) - IN

As much as we may want to downplay it, that's a real impressive haul in year 2. So what is Brohm selling that's causing this in-flow of top talent?

I think it's important for IU to pull in Cam Williams or some other heavies this year. I think things are headed in the right direction under Allen, but if Brohm stays a while, that could be a complication. The optics are important. All that said, I'm cheering for every Louisville opponent this year. ;)

Last edited:
Purdue is now ranked 20 in those meaningless team rankings. I would love a meaningless top 20 ranking for the Hoosiers.

edit: spoke a bit too soon. Did not realize that they now have 21 commitments at an average of 2.95. The two recruiting classes will likely be comparable.

Last edited:
Purdue is now ranked 20 in those meaningless team rankings. I would love a meaningless top 20 ranking for the Hoosiers.
I think it's possible for IU to do...someday. But PU may be a bit further along in that path.

Again, I’ll give him some credit, but now it’s about the season ahead. If IU wins bucket and has better record? I’d say momentum shift would be clearly tilting to Bloomington. Time to lace them up soon!

Again, I’ll give him some credit, but now it’s about the season ahead. If IU wins bucket and has better record? I’d say momentum shift would be clearly tilting to Bloomington. Time to lace them up soon!
Indeed this year is key. If IU wins the Bucket, has better record and pulls ahead in recruiting, then yeah, we'd have momentum. But those are big "ifs". I think Athlons has us at 63 and PU at 45 pre-season. Glad the game is in Bloomington...it will be an important one.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Live look-in at Gradman

rj92xyc97r3y.gif

Glass hired the wrong coach. This is Tiller and Cameron all over again. I don’t like Purdue, but they said “f*** it” and went out and spent big bucks to get a good head coach. Fred went the cheap route.
WAAAAY to early to say Allen was the wrong hire. His bolstering of the defense has been something we've been waiting for decades to arrive. Year 1 wasn't what we hoped, but it was just YEAR ONE.

That said, you may well be right in the end...and that "internal hire" vs "national search" narrative was one I heard more than a few times after the Bucket game from IU alums. But again, we're not at that stage yet.

One thing that is interesting is the fact that Brohm is considered an offensive wiz, but the majority of his studs are in the defensive side. Like I assumed when he arrived up there that he'd get his fair share of offensive weapons, but him getting studs on D seems a bit baffling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
that "internal hire" vs "national search" narrative was one I heard more than a few times after the Bucket game from IU alums.
Immediate image forms: IU alums who don’t know much, if anything, about IU football or Tom Allen and were only at the Bucket Game last year because they had their arses dragged there by the PU chicks they married.

Immediate image forms: IU alums who don’t know much, if anything, about IU football or Tom Allen and were only at the Bucket Game last year because they had their arses dragged there by the PU chicks they married.
Couldn't agree more, but perception (even ill-informed) is reality. This all may boil down to post-hoc logic anyway, but if things don't go well relative to Purdue, that will be a theme that will get cited.

Indeed this year is key. If IU wins the Bucket, has better record and pulls ahead in recruiting, then yeah, we'd have momentum. But those are big "ifs". I think Athlons has us at 63 and PU at 45 pre-season. Glad the game is in Bloomington...it will be an important one.

Althons has been a joke for awhile now... I wouldn't worry much about their prognostications...

Reactions: kmathum
WAAAAY to early to say Allen was the wrong hire. His bolstering of the defense has been something we've been waiting for decades to arrive. Year 1 wasn't what we hoped, but it was just YEAR ONE.

That said, you may well be right in the end...and that "internal hire" vs "national search" narrative was one I heard more than a few times after the Bucket game from IU alums. But again, we're not at that stage yet.

One thing that is interesting is the fact that Brohm is considered an offensive wiz, but the majority of his studs are in the defensive side. Like I assumed when he arrived up there that he'd get his fair share of offensive weapons, but him getting studs on D seems a bit baffling.

Their HC was given all the accolades for last season but the guy who deserved the credit was their Defensive Co-ord...

Now I can't emphasize enough how sick I am of reading about that other teams coach on here.

The guy literally barely finished above .500 and he's suddenly the 2nd coming of Paul Brown... Get a grip guys... We beat them in November to make it 5 out of the last 6 and all will be right in the world...;)

pu week is, what(?), 3 months away... Let's wait until closer to then to talk about those jokers...:cool::(

edit: spoke a bit too soon. Did not realize that they now have 21 commitments at an average of 2.95. The two recruiting classes will likely be comparable.
Yes they are not going to end up that high. Both will have good classes. We just had a 4 star CB on campus who really likes IU. It’s dumb to compare classes when one has 9 more commits at the moment. They’re almost done.

Whoever you’re responding to, I can guarantee was nowhere to be found here when Beau Robbins committed, and won’t be around if Mullen commits. They live to whine.

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI

As much as we may want to downplay it, that's a real impressive haul in year 2. So what is Brohm selling that's causing this in-flow of top talent?

I think it's important for IU to pull in Cam Williams or some other heavies this year. I think things are headed in the right direction under Allen, but if Brohm stays a while, that could be a complication. The optics are important. All that said, I'm cheering for every Louisville opponent this year. ;)

He sells toughness ... and playing in the Big Sissy division of the Big Ten.

They’re not even a point above IU in the average player rankings in the composite. Don’t get me wrong, it’s impressive what Brohm has done so far. But they’re also not pulling in an OSU type class and most of the hype is due to the size of it. Hell, Illinois’ class is better by average.

Reactions: RBB89
The other thing to remember here is nobody has signed. Its a long way until signing day and IF these players are legit 4 stars the big boys will not stop pounding down the door.

I like the fact that CTA waltzed into Penix house with all the coaches while he was being recruited hard by FSU and ended up signing with IU. Same goes for Jonathon King and James Miller. Everyone pushed hard at them and in the end they signed at IU. Those are the kinds of battles that in the past IU would have never won.

This time of year is hardest on us the fans, the camp is just around the corner, the season, the anticipation, and this year we have all been spoon fed doses of off the charts results in regards to S&C and SPEED. So to see the rival from the Lafayette prison camp get some interest from a couple good players can be a little disheartening, but everything is pointing really high right now if you are an IU football fan.

Step back off the cliff. Lets see what the first few games bring us. :)

I think if what Coach Ballou/Dr. Rhea do translates to the field, we're going to be pretty far ahead of the curve and gain a big advantage over other schools.

I could certainly see a scenario in a couple years where you could have guys camp at IU who are undervalued, but we determine a 2-star guy is athletically going to develop into an athletic equivalent to a 4-star/5-star once you fix form, strength imbalances, etc after they go through some testing. We offer them, they develop into studs.

That sort of hard scientific data is just as important as the gurus scouting a player.

Reactions: 76-1 and brebelle3

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI

NRdZIovw4bDENYWJUPbpgCkTMCK0AGPx05PheYYv0lI.jpg

Yes they are not going to end up that high. Both will have good classes. We just had a 4 star CB on campus who really likes IU. It’s dumb to compare classes when one has 9 more commits at the moment. They’re almost done.

You may actually be surprised.. Our remaining targets are 4 star players that apparently we have a very good shot at. Like JJ Weaver, David Bell, and Milton Wright among others.

It is important tho for Brohm to have a good start, which is its own challenge due to a tough schedule.

IU has a good class in its own right

Brohm and Purdue have a ton to sell. Amazing new football performance facilities, an identity on offense with an aggressive defense (very similar recipe for success as Tiller), an energized fanbase + solid football tradition.
I really think Glass did not take advantage of the Purple Haze era when IU had Wilson and an identity on offense.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Brohm and Purdue have a ton to sell. Amazing new football performance facilities, an identity on offense with an aggressive defense (very similar recipe for success as Tiller), an energized fanbase + solid football tradition.
I really think Glass did not take advantage of the Purple Haze era when IU had Wilson and an identity on offense.

Everyone in the B1G has new performance facilities. I’ll grant you the identity on offense. Brohm has all the trickery and whatnot going for him. Outside of that Purdue can’t offer much than everyone else in the conference can also offer. Plus you have to somehow sell West Lafayette. So when you take all that into account, Brohm is doing an amazing job.

Everyone in the B1G has new performance facilities. I’ll grant you the identity on offense. Brohm has all the trickery and whatnot going for him. Outside of that Purdue can’t offer much than everyone else in the conference can also offer. Plus you have to somehow sell West Lafayette. So when you take all that into account, Brohm is doing an amazing job.

Here we go again with the IU broken record about West la la and the Purdue campus. Campus looks amazing these days and they are redesigning downtown West Lafayette so it has more of a downtown, pedestrian friendly vibe like BTown. The city is also building a new live, work and play district to replace Chauncey Hill which will have a boutique hotel, brewery, music venue, new restaurants, pedestrian mall and rooftop bars

Here we go again with the IU broken record about West la la and the Purdue campus. Campus looks amazing these days and they are redesigning downtown West Lafayette so it has more of a downtown, pedestrian friendly vibe like BTown. The city is also building a new live, work and play district to replace Chauncey Hill which will have a boutique hotel, brewery, music venue, new restaurants, pedestrian mall and rooftop bars
Still looks like a prison camp minus the fence IYAM

It's funny when people start talking about the city a school is in. When other schools talk about any school in the state of Indiana, they just say there's nothing in that state except auto-racing and meth. Kids that actually care about a sport rarely pick a school based on what they can do in the city or town. I lived in Bloomington for about 15 years. It's a pretty town, but West Lafayette is catching up with all the recent things they are doing.

Reactions: Bill4411

- Marvin Grant (CB) - MI

Brohm is selling winning.

Gotta love it. The guy's got one 7-6 season as a P5 head coach under his belt, and the Tiller comparisons have already begun.

Let's see if you improve on that record this year. I think not. Feel free to call me out in late November if I'm wrong. I'm pretty confident I'll be eating turkey then, though, rather than crow.

The campus isn’t bad. It’s just bottom 3 in the B1G. West Lafayette isn’t a literal garbage dump. It’s just the worst town in the B1G.

Gradman would find fault with anyone Glass hired.

Tom Allen is in for the long haul, building a program from the ground up. I believe this is his destination job if he can succeed. If Brohm has any kind of success he's gone, and PU is back to square one.

Immediate gratification isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Given the PT he has to sell, Brohm should be killing IU right now...but he is not. DGMW Brohm is doing quite well on the recruiting trail but so is Allen. This is good news. PU will be competitive with IU again for sure, but the bar has been raised as IU made huge strides in facilities etc. where they were behind in the BIG.

Tom Allen is in for the long haul, building a program from the ground up. I believe this is his destination job if he can succeed. If Brohm has any kind of success he's gone, and PU is back to square one.

I do think the administration panicked a bit. Tom Allen turned around the defense in one year and the players all loved him so they wanted to make sure he’d stay on. It’s tough to hire a new head coach with the caveat that they have to keep the existing D Coordinator. So they decided to just offer Allen. Which I wasn’t all that excited about. I wanted a national search and honestly, I wanted Brohm.

But on the other hand you want a guy who is in it for the long haul and isn’t going to use the program as a stepping stone. We had that for a short time with Hep and we have it again with Allen. It might work out. Actually, I think if Allen doesn’t work out it’ll be more due to his sticking with Debord than it will have anything to do with his own shortcomings.

I'm done worrying about Brohm & PU. I acknowledge he had a good year one (but as stated earlier, didn't exactly set the world on fire and IU winning bucket NONE of that narrative would be happening, pretty thin there.) But they won bucket & a bowl, to that victor goes some spoils, fine.

I believe PU has tougher schedule this year and may not repeat going bowling. Whereas IU has better schedule, I believe improved players/depth, and will go bowling again. Most importantly, I definitely like IU's chances at home in Bucket game. No need to speculate or gloat now, let the season's play do the talking.

I'm plenty bullish on IU and huge fan of Allen. Anyone calling for his replacement now is just a complainer.

I do think the administration panicked a bit. Tom Allen turned around the defense in one year and the players all loved him so they wanted to make sure he’d stay on. It’s tough to hire a new head coach with the caveat that they have to keep the existing D Coordinator. So they decided to just offer Allen. Which I wasn’t all that excited about. I wanted a national search and honestly, I wanted Brohm.

But on the other hand you want a guy who is in it for the long haul and isn’t going to use the program as a stepping stone. We had that for a short time with Hep and we have it again with Allen. It might work out. Actually, I think if Allen doesn’t work out it’ll be more due to his sticking with Debord than it will have anything to do with his own shortcomings.

And recruiting is going well.

I’ve been saying this for over a year. Purdue made the big time hire and is reaping what they’ve sown. We’re doing the same. Anyone still want to argue this?

Reactions: IUgradman

From the ground up? Allen took over a program that had been to back to back bowls and returned 16 starters. He took the keys when IU was in its best position in decades.

Brohm took over a complete dumpster fire at one of the lowest points in program history. One year later look where they’re at. It’s time to get this train under control before it derails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT