ADVERTISEMENT

What does IU need to become an elite program again?

no one here has ever said they want us to be the duke of today. you are doing that thing again where you make up arguments that don't exist.

IU under bob and branch was better than duke before k. again, you are making stuff up. stop doing that. it's unbearable.
You said we could be just like Duke did you not and when saying that I thought you meant the Duke of today because that is all that matters and not something that happen 40 years ago.

You said we could be just like Duke did you not and when saying that I thought you meant the Duke of today because that is all that matters and not something that happen 40 years ago.

you are right. I did say that. meant we can be a meaningful program again but no one realistically expects our next coach to win 5 ncaa titles. prob is the coach you dislike but defend will never get to 5 ncaa tourneys in a row. lol

I agree the ultimate is to win the championship but you also have to look at the years that you don't win the championship and see how the teams did in the tournament. I will take teams going to multiple final fours and elite 8's instead of losing in the first weekend of the tournament. Kansas over the last 30 years has made a lot more deep tournament runs than we have and I would take their last 30 years over ours.
no one here has ever said they want us to be the duke of today. you are doing that thing again where you make up arguments that don't exist.

IU under bob and branch was better than duke before k. again, you are making stuff up. stop doing that. it's unbearable.

You need to snap out of it Holmes...Bob (I am assuming Bob Knight) left 15 years ago and Branch left 50 years ago.

Different times my friend. There is no one on the planet under retirement age that cares what "Bob and Branch" did.

you are right. I did say that. meant we can be a meaningful program again but no one realistically expects our next coach to win 5 ncaa titles. prob is the coach you dislike but defend will never get to 5 ncaa tourneys in a row. lol
I don't think he will win won either but what does constantly bashing him help and making every thread into a Crean hate fest. I have been a IU for over 40 years and I will root for them no matter who the coach is and I will not stop watching them even if they lose. I am not the type of a fan that will jump off the bandwagon when things go bad and then come back when things get better.

I don't think he will win won either but what does constantly bashing him help and making every thread into a Crean hate fest. I have been a IU for over 40 years and I will root for them no matter who the coach is and I will not stop watching them even if they lose. I am not the type of a fan that will jump off the bandwagon when things go bad and then come back when things get better.

um I still watch my favorite team so forget that bandwagon talk. we'll stop bashing him when he stops doing dumb stuff. what if all the high-dollar donors took your approach? lifetime contract?

again, you are rooting all wrong, my man! but we agree to disagree.

again, see Michigan football. the students freaking revolting against mediocrity and a change was made. do you think glass will stand by a guy who gets booed? not sure where you get this idea that fans can't make a diff. sure, not like the big dogs but we matter.

Reactions: silvercamaro
um I still watch my favorite team so forget that bandwagon talk. we'll stop bashing him when he stops doing dumb stuff. what if all the high-dollar donors took your approach? lifetime contract?

again, see Michigan football. the students freaking revolting against mediocrity and a change was made. do you think glass will stand by a guy who gets booed? not sure where you get this idea that fans can't make a diff. sure, not like the big dogs but we matter.

IU basketball coaches been doing "dumb stuff" since 1972 holmes.

IU basketball coaches been doing "dumb stuff" since 1972 holmes.

well, Branch was a racist, so goes back further than that.

but this is athletics and the point is to try to win.

again, love your general theme. everything at IU is and was awful except this years football team. we get it. lol

Ho

so am I rooting wrong, am I suppose to stop watching the games until he is gone or stop coming to message boards until he is gone. I have rooted for IU for over 40 years so I know how to root for a team.

Ho

so am I rooting wrong, am I suppose to stop watching the games until he is gone or stop coming to message boards until he is gone. I have rooted for IU for over 40 years so I know how to root for a team.

didn't say stop rooting just stop jumping on folks who actually want IU to win.

I am not a Crean fan obviously but I think his coaching isn't as bad as his roster management/Recruiting. I think in order for CTC to get IU back to being elite is he is going to have to recruit elite classes every year. No doubt he has landed some studs but the balance of each class is poor and the makeup of each class is poor. he isn't in the IZZO, Ryan category where he can win without elite talent. So I think the answer is recruit better..

Some things I don't understand with his recruiting..

-Why is it necessary to tie up 13 schollies every year? Especially when a few schollies are to major major projects.This leads to unbalanced classes.
-If his system calls for a stretch 4 then you have to recruit them. Hartman looks like he fits the mold and possibly MH but we need to land the TJ Leaf type for this position. Wing player but is 6'9 so he can guard an opposing teams 4.
-We are in desperate need for a big man that can play right away...yet we use two over sign's on 6'7 guys.
-Rumbles of Yogi going pro after this season...yet we haven't signed a true PG since we signed Yogi.

Like I said I am not a fan of his and he does so strange things in the course of the games that make you say "WTF" is he doing but I think his biggest issues are his recruiting(consistently well at every position) and his roster management/balance.

This is not a bash Crean session, I just think odds are he stays and if we are going to get really good things have to change in these areas.

An average head coach. Next question.

Personally, I think Tom Crean's biggest strength is his

ability to recruit. He has landed a lot of big time players the past few years. He also seems to be good at developing his players.

His weaknesses are his inability to prepare for opponents and his inability to make adjustments during a game. When the Hoosiers played Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament a couple of years ago, he knew they would be using a zone on defense. Despite knowing it, his team appeared to be poorly prepared to attack the zone.

Bob Knight used to say the last five minutes of the first half and first five minutes of the second half were crucial. Unfortunately, the opposing coaches make halftime adjustments and Crean doesn't seem to know how to adapt to them in the second half. Consequently, we seem to frequently lose leads or fall way behind during the opening minutes of the second half.

I personally don't think IU will become an elite program again until it lands Brad Stevens. Once that happen--if it does--we will become a national power once again.

Crean lost his main recruiter Kenny Johnson to the Louisville
Cardinals a couple of years ago. Johnson never received the
credit (or salary) for the talent that he was responsible for
players either signing or visiting IU. I agree with your
coaching assessment.

Crean lost his main recruiter Kenny Johnson to the Louisville
Cardinals a couple of years ago. Johnson never received the
credit (or salary) for the talent that he was responsible for
players either signing or visiting IU. I agree with your
coaching assessment.

Kenny Johnson? Let's put this in perspective. He was only at IU from 2012-14, and was the lead recruiter for Stanford Robinson, Noah Vonleh, and Troy Williams.

You need to snap out of it Holmes...Bob (I am assuming Bob Knight) left 15 years ago and Branch left 50 years ago.

Different times my friend. There is no one on the planet under retirement age that cares what "Bob and Branch" did.

huh? lol. where the hell did you get that from my reply to this?

"IU basketball coaches been doing "dumb stuff" since 1972 holmes."

you are the one that keeps looking back. you know, your weird we-can't-expect-much-because-our-last-long-tenured-coach-was-abusive schtick

i'm about moving forward. even if IU just started a program yesterday, we could all expect more considering pay, budgets, and local talent...well, all of us but you...but you are more a football fan, as i'm sure you'll end up telling us within a few posts...so i saved you the time :)

Kenny Johnson? Let's put this in perspective. He was only at IU from 2012-14, and was the lead recruiter for Stanford Robinson, Noah Vonleh, and Troy Williams.

i agree, but that makes Johnson responsible for getting one of the few serviceable big men our coach has ever had.

huh? lol. where the hell did you get that from my reply to this?

"IU basketball coaches been doing "dumb stuff" since 1972 holmes."

you are the one that keeps looking back. you know, your weird we-can't-expect-much-because-our-last-long-tenured-coach-was-abusive schtick

i'm about moving forward. even if IU just started a program yesterday, we could all expect more considering pay, budgets, and local talent...well, all of us but you...but you are more a football fan, as i'm sure you'll end up telling us within a few posts...so i saved you the time :)

We need to hire old Bobby back and get Damon and Steve to be his assistants.

anyone who gives us a better chance to win since the point of sport is to - you know - win.

but you stand alone against this thinking. you are freedom fighter for under-performance. good stuff.

We could get Mike Davis since he is the only person to take us to the Final Two in the last 28 years.

Can we pry him away from Texas Southern?

IU fan just wants to be ranked regularly. well, again, except you. lol. you think we are asking for a ncaa titles? man, you've made up a whole narrative. used a bunch of words incorrectly along the way but you gave it your best. good job!

and here -- ill save you more time. just cut and paste one of these:

Knight threw a cop in a trash can. Maybe we can hire him?

IU basketball has sucked since 1917. Did you even watch the football game?

Do you even give money to IU? my money gives money.

take your pick

I too wish we could be nationally ranked in basketball someday. Oh wait...look below...we are ranked 14th (with all due credit to ESPN).

(http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...tar-heels-lead-no-longer-way-too-early-top-25).

14. Indiana Hoosiers
i

Maryland is the Big Ten's runaway favorite, but the competition will be slightly more fierce than what Wisconsin experienced a season ago. (The vast majority of the Big Ten season was played before March, which is why Michigan State didn't go 18-0.) Indiana is atop that second tier. The Hoosiers are bringing almost all of their considerable offensive firepower back, from guards Yogi Ferrell, James Blackmon Jr. and Robert Johnson, to rim-running four Troy Williams, to the coterie of floor-spacing sharpshooters (Nick Zeisloft, Collin Hartman) that often made Indiana one of the nation's most watchable teams. Adding No. 6-ranked freshman center Thomas Bryant should mean better interior defense and rebounding, which isn't saying much, given how bad IU was on that end of the floor last season. But, man, can they put the ball in the bucket.

I too wish we could be nationally ranked in basketball someday. Oh wait...look below...we are ranked 14th (with all due credit to ESPN).

(http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...tar-heels-lead-no-longer-way-too-early-top-25).

14. Indiana Hoosiers
i

Maryland is the Big Ten's runaway favorite, but the competition will be slightly more fierce than what Wisconsin experienced a season ago. (The vast majority of the Big Ten season was played before March, which is why Michigan State didn't go 18-0.) Indiana is atop that second tier. The Hoosiers are bringing almost all of their considerable offensive firepower back, from guards Yogi Ferrell, James Blackmon Jr. and Robert Johnson, to rim-running four Troy Williams, to the coterie of floor-spacing sharpshooters (Nick Zeisloft, Collin Hartman) that often made Indiana one of the nation's most watchable teams. Adding No. 6-ranked freshman center Thomas Bryant should mean better interior defense and rebounding, which isn't saying much, given how bad IU was on that end of the floor last season. But, man, can they put the ball in the bucket.

oh ya sweet! first time in 22 months. we're on our way!

your two-pronged narrative is sooo weird: 1. we can't be good because of x (x could equal bobby knight tantrums or mike davis ineptitude or down years or the moon's orbit...insert whatever) 2. we are good

how funny. another good day of discourse, scout. i'm done for the day but you've probably converted a bunch of new believers.

To put it simply - IU needs a new coach. That's what they need to become an elite program again. Crean will never consistently keep IU elite.

IU was elite in 13 or whatever when Zeller, Dipo, Watford, Hulls, etc were there, but IU quickly fell off.

A Brad Stevens or Archie Miller type hire would vault IU back into the elite category and keep them consistently great like Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are now.

Unless he luckboxes a title this year, Crean needs to have been gone yesterday and the right hire needs to be made.

To put it simply - IU needs a new coach. That's what they need to become an elite program again. Crean will never consistently keep IU elite.

IU was elite in 13 or whatever when Zeller, Dipo, Watford, Hulls, etc were there, but IU quickly fell off.

A Brad Stevens or Archie Miller type hire would vault IU back into the elite category and keep them consistently great like Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are now.

Unless he luckboxes a title this year, Crean needs to have been gone yesterday and the right hire needs to be made.
Just a question, what has Archie Miller done that would make you say that he would get IU back to being elite. he has had two good runs in the tournament but he has not been able to even dominate his own conference yet which is a mid major league. I think he would end up being a good coach but he has done nothing yet to say for sure that he would be a great coach at IU.

Can we clarify the definition of "elite?"

Since 1988, Duke, UCONN, UK and UNC have 15 national championships collectively.
Indiana has 0.

That is 27 years and we have gone through Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakcih, and Tom Crean.

To what level of "elite" do you think Archie Miller can elevate us?

BTW, Tom Crean's Indiana Hoosiers are ranked 14th and Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers aren't ranked anywhere.

To put it simply - IU needs a new coach.

I think there is enormous upside to hiring Archie Miller – absent a potential NBA move you aren’t going to lose him to another program and if his potential transforms into greatness you can create a prevailing period of on court excellence, and I think most younger coaches (while to some degree a generalization) would encounter no issues finding great players who fit their system that they can win at a high level with. In the event that you can find a younger coach whose ”worst possible scenario” is to continue with Crean's performance yet has substantially more upside I think you take that risk all day long.

Reactions: Dr. Brule
I think there is enormous upside to hiring Archie Miller – absent a potential NBA move you aren’t going to lose him to another program and if his potential transforms into greatness you can create a prevailing period of on court excellence, and I think most younger coaches (while to some degree a generalization) would encounter no issues finding great players who fit their system that they can win at a high level with. In the event that you can find a younger coach whose ”worst possible scenario” is to continue with Crean's performance yet has substantially more upside I think you take that risk all day long.
but Archie Millers resume is not as good as Creans was coming out of Marquette so how do you know if he could do any better. If I am going to take a coach from a mid major he has to demonstrate he can dominate at the lower level like Marshall and Stevens did.

Just a question, what has Archie Miller done that would make you say that he would get IU back to being elite. he has had two good runs in the tournament but he has not been able to even dominate his own conference yet which is a mid major league. I think he would end up being a good coach but he has done nothing yet to say for sure that he would be a great coach at IU.

He's an awesome basketball coach and thrives with the X and O part of the game. Think he was down to a six man rotation last year and still got done.

He won't really need to worry about recruiting because IU recruits itself to a certain level.

If I am going to take a coach from a mid major he has to demonstrate he can dominate at the lower level like Marshall and Stevens did.

Miller will have sufficient time to do as such. This is a program that has won 53 games throughout the last two seasons and NCAA Tournament games in both years. He's demonstrated he can win regardless of who is on or off the roster. They have large institutional support (read: big money alums), they have the facilities and now they have the coach. As long as Miller is around, Dayton will continue it's upward trend.

With respect to Stevens, IU could have had him. They gave Crean an extension instead.

Last edited:
Miller will have sufficient time to do as such. This is a program that has won 53 games throughout the last two seasons and NCAA Tournament games in both years. He's demonstrated he can win regardless of who is on or off the roster. They have large institutional support (read: big money alums), they have the facilities and now they have the coach. As long as Miller is around, Dayton will continue it's upward trend.

With respect to Stevens, IU could have had him. They gave Crean an extension instead.

I am sort of a Dayton fan as my wife went to law school there. That said, can you elaborate on the "big money alums?"

Also, by "facilities," are referring to UD arena that is like 45 years old and holds about 13,000 people?

I am sort of a Dayton fan as my wife went to law school there. That said, can you elaborate on the "big money alums?"

Also, by "facilities," are referring to UD arena that is like 45 years old and holds about 13,000 people?
Still a pretty good arena and they always sells out. Also the NCAA loves having the tournament there and there is a reason that they have the first four at the Dayton arena.

Can we clarify the definition of "elite?"

Since 1988, Duke, UCONN, UK and UNC have 15 national championships collectively.
Indiana has 0.

That is 27 years and we have gone through Bob Knight, Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakcih, and Tom Crean.

To what level of "elite" do you think Archie Miller can elevate us?

BTW, Tom Crean's Indiana Hoosiers are ranked 14th and Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers aren't ranked anywhere.

we're all so busy picking sides. i'll admit i am as bad as anyone, but even with a good preseason rank, Tom Crean is not a good fit for IU. Not in the style of ball his team plays or his demeanor. And that is not me saying he's a bad guy or a jerk. he's just too PR conscious sometimes. IU fan wants more grit and less style. Miller would probably fit in my mind.

Still a pretty good arena and they always sells out. Also the NCAA loves having the tournament there and there is a reason that they have the first four at the Dayton arena.

For sure...I was only there for a law school commencement...I have not been to a game there. It seemed alright then though.

Pretty simple, get a good game coach. CTC excels at leading at the half and then getting spanked.
All Tommy needs to do is hire RMK as an assistant coach, and have him be the man who runs the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT