ADVERTISEMENT

What does IU need to become an elite program again?

LOL

troll-146226.jpg

While I appreciate the peculiarity of the above image, I don't know what it is referencing.

I am guessing you are perhaps a Purdue engineering/agriculture/golf course manager type that is more nerd-oriented than your average Indiana University business/law/medical student.

Nonetheless...I applaud your creativity...even though I am not certain of the implication.

I would fly to NYC for the Pinstripe Bowl to watch Indiana football any day before I would drive to Bloomington from Carmel to watch Indiana basketball in an NIT game.

(Good call by the way...they are projected to play Duke at Yankee Stadium on 12/26 in the Pinstripe Bowl as of today)!!!

well, the football program needs loyalists like you so carry on. Hope they can handle Rutgers, maybe Iowa, Maryland & turdue to get to 7 or so wins. Do you like Wilson?

While I appreciate the peculiarity of the above image, I don't know what it is referencing.

I am guessing you are perhaps a Purdue engineering/agriculture/golf course manager type that is more nerd-oriented than your average Indiana University business/law/medical student.

Nonetheless...I applaud your creativity...even though I am not certain of the implication.
He is calling you a troll...

well, the football program needs loyalists like you so carry on. Hope they can handle Rutgers, maybe Iowa, Maryland & turdue to get to 7 or so wins. Do you like Wilson?

Yes, I like Kevin Wilson. Pursuant to your instructions, I will carry on. I appreciate your encouragement.

I agree in that I think Rutgers, Iowa, Maryland and Purdue are wins...I might mix in Penn State and Michigan as well.

OSU and at MSU are taller orders probably.

I don't hate it...I have season tickets to both. Both are fun...but it is football season right now and Indiana has won five in a row.

Can anyone guess when we won five games in a row in basketball last? The way I see it, it is 11/8-11/21 in 2013 (first five games of the year).

- Chicago State
- Long Island
- Samford
- Stony Brook
- Washington

I agree, as clearly everyone else here does, IU basketball sucks...but there's nothing I can do about it.

Watch the football...they are winning!!! Biggest game in 100 years this coming Saturday!!! Get on board!!!
I am watching the football and it has been a good start but they are very lucky to be 4-0 because they could have easily lost to SIU the first game of the year. If you want to discuss football there is a football board to discuss IU football so why don't you go to that board. You are on the basketball board and people will be discussing basketball on this board and if you don't like it don't come to this board until basketball season. By the way I hope we are competitive Saturday but I see us losing like 55-17

I am watching the football and it has been a good start but they are very lucky to be 4-0 because they could have easily lost to SIU the first game of the year. If you want to discuss football there is a football board to discuss IU football so why don't you go to that board. You are on the basketball board and people will be discussing basketball on this board and if you don't like it don't come to this board until basketball season. By the way I hope we are competitive Saturday but I see us losing like 55-17

I do go to that board. Nonetheless, you came here before basketball season as well.

At any rate, pursuant to your suggestion, I will discuss basketball. I think Indiana will finish second or third in the Big 10 and will go to at least the regional semifinal in the NCAA tournament. Anything after that is pretty much house money unless you are Kentucky or Duke.

Until then, enjoy Indiana's five game football win streak!!! It's way more fun than basketball!!!

I do go to that board. Nonetheless, you came here before basketball season as well.

At any rate, pursuant to your suggestion, I will discuss basketball. I think Indiana will finish second or third in the Big 10 and will go to at least the regional semifinal in the NCAA tournament. Anything after that is pretty much house money unless you are Kentucky or Duke.

Until then, enjoy Indiana's five game football win streak!!! It's way more fun than basketball!!!
You act like we should all be discussing football but you said it on the basketball board where you are suppose to discuss basketball. That is the reason there is both boards so you can pick which sport you want to discuss. When I want to discuss football I go to the football board and when I want to discuss basketball I come to the basketball board. Can't you tell by how many people discuss basketball compared to football even during football season that there are a lot more interested in basketball than football.

You act like we should all be discussing football but you said it on the basketball board where you are suppose to discuss basketball. That is the reason there is both boards so you can pick which sport you want to discuss. When I want to discuss football I go to the football board and when I want to discuss basketball I come to the basketball board. Can't you tell by how many people discuss basketball compared to football even during football season that there are a lot more interested in basketball than football.

Clarified. Thank you. IU basketball is boring. I am going to use my November season basketball tickets as drink coasters while I watch IU football which is 6,000 times more fun.

I will bifurcate my IU sports discussions accordingly going forward. Before I sign off, do you want to buy my Eastern Illinois v. Indiana basketball tickets for 11/13/2015? I am gonna sleep in and go the IU v. Michigan football game the next day.

Thank you.

no. just no.

"Anything after that is pretty much house money unless you are Kentucky or Duke."

Clarified. Thank you. IU basketball is boring. I am going to use my November season basketball tickets as drink coasters while I watch IU football which is 6,000 times more fun.

I will bifurcate my IU sports discussions accordingly going forward. Before I sign off until we are losing to Minnesota in January in basketball, do you want to buy my IU v. Eastern Illinois basketball tickets for 11/13? I'm gonna sleep in and go to the IU v. Michigan football game the next day.
You are to funny, if you are so bored with IU basketball then stop watching it because it is entertainment and if you are not being entertained then why torture yourself. How come you still watch the football program since they are the worst football program in the power 5 conferences because to me basketball has been way more entertaining than IU football.

I will bifurcate my IU sports discussions accordingly going forward. Before I sign off, do you want to buy my Eastern Illinois v. Indiana basketball tickets for 11/13/2015? I am gonna sleep in and go the IU v. Michigan football game the next day.

Thank you.
this is just good clean fun.

no. just no.

"Anything after that is pretty much house money unless you are Kentucky or Duke."

Not sure what your argument is...unless you are saying I should have thrown UNC and UCONN in the mix. Read and weep my friend...

Since 1988:

Duke/UCONN/UK/UNC: 15 titles
Indiana: 0 titles

Thank you.

Congrats on being the latest edition to my ignore list.

Tired of you crying how "IU basketball sucks and I'm going to use my tickets as toilet paper" when slobbering non-stop about the football team on a basketball board.

I thought hijacking threads was banned now........

Congrats on being the latest edition to my ignore list.

Tired of you crying how "IU basketball sucks and I'm going to use my tickets as toilet paper" when slobbering non-stop about the football team on a basketball board.

I thought hijacking threads was banned now........

I wear the "ignore" as a badge of honor Laffy Boy (that is a questionable use of "edition" v. "addition" by the way).

I hope Indiana basketball is 35-0 this year, but meanwhile, beat OSU!!!

As a program IU has very rarely had a 4 year span like that. They have had two stretches like that 73-76 and 91-94 but after that we have never made consistent runs in the tournament.

what's your point? Louisville and MSU have also very rarely had runs like this.

I don't get your thinking that we can't aspire to match this success or be elite because it is hard. seems like arguing for arguings sake.

what's your point? Louisville and MSU have also very rarely had runs like this.

I don't get your thinking that we can't aspire to match this success or be elite because it is hard. seems like arguing for arguings sake.
MSU and UL has been on a streak for about 10-15 years of very good basketball where IU really has never had a long sustain run where they made deep runs in the tournament.

MSU and UL has been on a streak for about 10-15 years of very good basketball where IU really has never had a long sustain run where they made deep runs in the tournament.

that's just not true. let wiki guide you, my friend. I know you mean well but I don't get this narrative you go back to again and again and again.

Louisville
FFs 10
E8s 14

IU
FFs 8
E8s 11

MSU
FFs 9
E8s 13

Each tended to go deep in bunches depending on the era. Which makes sense because they had good teams that went deep a couple or few times and/or good sustained runs with great coaches.

Knight skewed his last 6 years because he admittedly stopped recruiting as hard. And since then we've had imperfect coaches but let's not pretend IU has never had sustained tourney success. That's just silly!

ps winning it all counts as going deep. you must not be counting those years. lol

that's just not true. let wiki guide you, my friend. I know you mean well but I don't get this narrative you go back to again and again and again.

Louisville
FFs 10
E8s 14

IU
FFs 8
E8s 11

MSU
FFs 9
E8s 13

Each tended to go deep in bunches depending on the era. Which makes sense because they had good teams that went deep a couple or few times and/or good sustained runs with great coaches.

Knight skewed his last 6 years because he admittedly stopped recruiting as hard. And since then we've had imperfect coaches but let's not pretend IU has never had sustained tourney success. That's just silly!

ps winning it all counts as going deep. you must not be counting those years. lol
You not understanding my point, yes we have had elite years but not the sustain success over many years like some of the other elite programs have had. Duke went to the final four 6 out of 7 years from 86-92 and winning two in a row. UL and MSU has had sustain success over the last 10 to 15 years as well.

You not understanding my point, yes we have had elite years but not the sustain success over many years like some of the other elite programs have had. Duke went to the final four 6 out of 7 years from 86-92 and winning two in a row. UL and MSU has had sustain success over the last 10 to 15 years as well.

again, not true. IU went to the E8 or beyond 5 times from 72 to 83 and MSU went to the E8 or beyond 6 times from 98 to 09, their best run.

only duke and ucla have gone to 6 of 7 FFs or better.

again, with all due respect, your talking point is just not true. you can't pick outliers like Duke's run and use that to say IU fan should not expect sustained tourney success. it's just not true!

again, not true. IU went to the E8 or beyond 5 times from 72 to 83 and MSU went to the E8 or beyond 6 times from 98 to 09, their best run.

only duke and ucla have gone to 6 of 7 FFs or better.

again, with all due respect, your talking point is just not true. you can't pick outliers like Duke's run and use that to say IU fan should not expect sustained tourney success. it's just not true!
I did the research the last time we had this discussion and went back to 86 when they expanded the tournament to 64 and stop having byes and I matched IU up with the other elite programs. Duke, UK, UCLA , Kansas, UNC and UL and IU had the least amount of sweet 16 appearances of the other programs by at least 2 and all of them had more final four appearances and championships.

I am not saying we are not one of the top programs but I don't put us in the elite program like some of you think we are. I think we are the 6th or 7th best program of all time but those I listed above are all better than we are and they are way more relevant that we have been the last 25 years.

I did the research the last time we had this discussion and went back to 86 when they expanded the tournament to 64 and stop having byes and I matched IU up with the other elite programs. Duke, UK, UCLA , Kansas, UNC and UL and IU had the least amount of sweet 16 appearances of the other programs by at least 2 and all of them had more final four appearances and championships.

I am not saying we are not one of the top programs but I don't put us in the elite program like some of you think we are. I think we are the 6th or 7th best program of all time but those I listed above are all better than we are and they are way more relevant that we have been the last 25 years.

"by at least 2" that's not a lot. lol. it's just 2. And Louisville is not a better program all time. Neither is KU really. Much easier to chalk up wins in much weaker conferences.

but I will give you that we are not close to elite the last 25 years. all the more reason to complain constantly about our average as hell coach :)

"by at least 2" that's not a lot. lol. it's just 2. And Louisville is not a better program all time. Neither is KU really. Much easier to chalk up wins in much weaker conferences.

but I will give you that we are not close to elite the last 25 years. all the more reason to complain constantly about our average as hell coach :)
I can't remember the exact number but Kansas has made 21/30 sweet 16, Duke 19/30/ UNC 18/30, UK 17/30, UCLA 13/30 and UL 12/30 and IU 9/30. I think we are a very good program but I would not put us with these other programs except UL. I always see people think we are elite and I just don't because we don't stack up with those other 5 programs now or ever.

I can't remember the exact number but Kansas has made 21/30 sweet 16, Duke 19/30/ UNC 18/30, UK 17/30, UCLA 13/30 and UL 12/30 and IU 9/30. I think we are a very good program but I would not put us with these other programs except UL. I always see people think we are elite and I just don't because we don't stack up with those other 5 programs now or ever.
6th or 7th of 351 programs. Which puts us in the 1.8% to 1.9%.

So, I guess "elite" starts at 1.4%?
I would not put us in with the top 5 of Duke, UCLA, UK, UNC or Kansas but a tier down from them

I would not put us in with the top 5 of Duke, UCLA, UK, UNC or Kansas but a tier down from them

What tier is UCONN in? They have won 4 since we have won any.

We might be more in the Michigan/Arkansas/Arizona/Syracuse/Maryland tier...of which all have at least won one since we have...so maybe we are not in that tier either...

Anyways...

we agree to disagree then. the point of the tourney is to win it all. KU "only" did that a 3rd time in 2008.

we agree to disagree then. the point of the tourney is to win it all. KU "only" did that a 3rd time in 2008.

I agree the ultimate is to win the championship but you also have to look at the years that you don't win the championship and see how the teams did in the tournament. I will take teams going to multiple final fours and elite 8's instead of losing in the first weekend of the tournament. Kansas over the last 30 years has made a lot more deep tournament runs than we have and I would take their last 30 years over ours.

I agree the ultimate is to win the championship but you also have to look at the years that you don't win the championship and see how the teams did in the tournament. I will take teams going to multiple final fours and elite 8's instead of losing in the first weekend of the tournament. Kansas over the last 30 years has made a lot more deep tournament runs than we have and I would take their last 30 years over ours.

KU fan would disagree and my bro is one. A title trumps several deep runs. Such is the joy of winning it all. and not taking anything away from KU, but in the "at large" era great programs in weaker conferences are probably getting higher seeds. KU has won the Big 12 like 10 times in a row? How many times do you think they win the Big 10 in that time frame? And not saying the B12 hasn't had good teams but nothing close to MSU, WU, and OSU.

KU fan would disagree and my bro is one. A title trumps several deep runs. Such is the joy of winning it all. and not taking anything away from KU, but in the "at large" era great programs in weaker conferences are probably getting higher seeds. KU has won the Big 12 like 10 times in a row? How many times do you think they win the Big 10 in that time frame? And not saying the B12 hasn't had good teams but nothing close to MSU, WU, and OSU.
Our history is great and I am very proud of it but to me sometimes I think our fans hang on to the past to much. We all want to be great again but it won't just happen because we have Indiana on front of the jersey. Today's kids were not even born the last time we were relevant nationally so our history does not mean that much to them. They see what has happened since they were born and they see Duke or UK as well as KU and even UCONN going deep most years in the tournament and that is where they want to go.

Our history is great and I am very proud of it but to me sometimes I think our fans hang on to the past to much. We all want to be great again but it won't just happen because we have Indiana on front of the jersey. Today's kids were not even born the last time we were relevant nationally so our history does not mean that much to them. They see what has happened since they were born and they see Duke or UK as well as KU and even UCONN going deep most years in the tournament and that is where they want to go.

agreed totally but I can tell you a story about how important actually winning the title is. Before 2008 KU basketball claimed "5 National Titles" in their branding material. Notice they didn't say NCAA titles. They were counting Helms and such. Sound familiar?

I guess that makes me wonder why we'd keep an average coach. and also makes me wonder why some here are so against us discussing the failures of said average coach (looking at you on that one, IU Scott). IU can be Duke and KU and UCONN again with the right guy. imagine fans of those schools sitting on their hands as they miss or barely make tourneys?

agreed totally but I can tell you a story about how important actually winning the title is. Before 2008 KU basketball claimed "5 National Titles" in their branding material. Notice they didn't say NCAA titles. They were counting Helms and such. Sound familiar?

I guess that makes me wonder why we'd keep an average coach. and also makes me wonder why some here are so against us discussing the failures of said average coach (looking at you on that one, IU Scott). IU can be Duke and KU and UCONN again with the right guy. imagine fans of those schools sitting on their hands as they miss or barely make tourneys?
I want Crean gone as well and I don't think he is doing a good job on and off the court. What I dislike is the consistent bashing of him even during the off season and taking every thread to be a Crean bashing.
As for being Duke again, we have never had a stretch that Duke has had for the last 30 years so I don't understand how you think we should now.

Last edited:
I want Crean gone as well and I don't think he is doing a good job on and off the court. What I dislike is the consistent bashing of him even during the off season and taking every thread to be a Crean bashing.

again, just imagine UNC fan or KU fan shutting up as a coach like crean keeps their program down. not sure why you take so much pride in biting your tongue when something is wrong. and yes, your opinion does count! the admin most certainly listens to the masses. SEE MICHIGAN FOOTBALL.

sorry, bro but you are rooting wrong! :)

Reactions: silvercamaro
again, just imagine UNC fan or KU fan shutting up as a coach like crean keeps their program down. not sure why you take so much pride in biting your tongue when something is wrong. and yes, your opinion does count! the admin most certainly listens to the masses. SEE MICHIGAN FOOTBALL.

sorry, bro but you are rooting wrong! :)
The AD could not care less what we think on this message board and unless you are a big money donor he won't care what you or I think. I understand that everyone wants us to be back on top but I think some have over valued what our history indicates what we are. You said in another post that we should be able to be back to where we are like Duke but I think we have never been like Duke has been the last 30 years. I don't see why people's expectations are higher for this program now than what we have ever done before. I think we can be like MSU and UL but I just don't see us being able to be the countries elite like Duke or UK.

The AD could not care less what we think on this message board and unless you are a big money donor he won't care what you or I think. I understand that everyone wants us to be back on top but I think some have over valued what our history indicates what we are. You said in another post that we should be able to be back to where we are like Duke but I think we have never been like Duke has been the last 30 years. I don't see why people's expectations are higher for this program now than what we have ever done before. I think we can be like MSU and UL but I just don't see us being able to be the countries elite like Duke or UK.

huh? duke wasn't duke before K. you know that, right? it's all about coaching.

your logic is just weird.

huh? duke wasn't duke before K. you know that, right? it's all about coaching.

your logic is just weird.
all I am saying is that people want us to be like Duke of today and I say how can we have that expectation when we have never had that much sustain success before. It just does not make since to me to put expectations higher than the results we have had through our history. I think if you think we can be like Duke of today then I think you will be disappointed more often than you are happy because I don't think any coach would come in here and make us like Duke.

Also you might want to look closer to Duke's history because they were very successful before coach K got there. They did not win championships but they did go to final fours and they were ranked in the AP 10 more than any team in the country in the 60's. I am not sure on the rankings but a poster posted something about how Duke has been ranked in the top 10 more than any other program going back to the 60's

all I am saying is that people want us to be like Duke of today and I say how can we have that expectation when we have never had that much sustain success before. It just does not make since to me to put expectations higher than the results we have had through our history. I think if you think we can be like Duke of today then I think you will be disappointed more often than you are happy because I don't think any coach would come in here and make us like Duke.

Also you might want to look closer to Duke's history because they were very successful before coach K got there. They did not win championships but they did go to final fours and they were ranked in the AP 10 more than any team in the country in the 60's. I am not sure on the rankings but a poster posted something about how Duke has been ranked in the top 10 more than any other program going back to the 60's

no one here has ever said they want us to be the duke of today. you are doing that thing again where you make up arguments that don't exist.

IU under bob and branch was better than duke before k. again, you are making stuff up. stop doing that. it's unbearable.

Reactions: silvercamaro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT