ADVERTISEMENT

What Democrats Do

How much do you think Mayor Pete knew about Transportation when he was named head of the Transportation Dept.

Biden has appointed political hacks for his top jobs. See Attorney General for a prime example.
I don't know how much Buttegieg knew about transportation. But I think he understands what the Dept is in charge of (or learned it pretty quickly) and will work to advance its purpose (again, my standard for comparison here is what was described in the book, the Fifth Risk).

Re Merrick Garland, though, you might not like his politics, but to say the man was simply a political hack and imply he wasn't qualified for the AG job is just wrong.

Someone can be qualified but do things you don't like. For example. Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch, and Amy Coney Barrett were all eminently qualified to sit on the Supreme Court and it would be wrong to call them "political hacks," even if you didn't want them sitting on the Court and thought they would do more harm than good.

Reactions: larsIU
I don't know how much Buttegieg knew about transportation. But I think he understands what the Dept is in charge of (or learned it pretty quickly) and will work to advance its purpose (again, my standard for comparison here is what was described in the book, the Fifth Risk).

Re Merrick Garland, though, you might not like his politics, but to say the man was simply a political hack and imply he wasn't qualified for the AG job is just wrong.

Someone can be qualified but do things you don't like. For example. Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch, and Amy Coney Barrett were all eminently qualified to sit on the Supreme Court and it would be wrong to call them "political hacks," even if you didn't want them sitting on the Court and thought they would do more harm than good.
I call Garland a political hack because of his performance as AG - not as his nomination to the SC.

To sit before Congress and lie about what why he issued orders to the FBI to treat parents as domestic terrorists at the behest of a Democrat-run organization is the very definition of political hackery. Then he claims he's not responible for what happens in the field. He's not only a political hack, he's a political coward.

As for Mayor Pete, he was totally unqualified for the job, and you know it. If the only requirements for the job are to understand it and work to advance its purpose, you could have a high school student run the department.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Buttegeig’s highest and best use seems to be a policy wonk or political advisor. He doesn’t have the chops to be a decider or seize responsibility for an issue. While I haven’t read everything he has said about the supply chain issues, what I have seen is that he is neither resourceful nor creative in addressing the problem. He seems content to hold meetings, discuss the issue, and lecture us about the problem lasting for another year

I originally thought Garland was a good AG pick. The school board issue showed me he must be fired. The job of attorney general is very complicated. On the one hand, the AG is a policy advisor and member of the cabinet. That requires the AG to be in sync with the White House. On the other hand, the AG is a prosecutor with legal and ethical responsibilities over investigations and prosecutions. That function, for reasons which I think should be obvious, must remain totally separate from the politics of the White House. Garland failed. He not only failed, he made it worse when the allegations prompting the matter were withdrawn and he persisted.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC

I'm sure these are two real people with a crisp clean confederate patch and her friend in a red eurotrash leather coat with cowboy hats on... in Virginia.

Oh yeah

I think Youngkin by 0.5… but this is a major loss to the Democrats regardless. Biden won the state by 10 points

Reactions: DANC

Thanks to AI and allowing just about any political backers to run ads the time will come when we will see what actually appears to candidates doing and saying some really stupid and damaging things.

The good news might be that ultimately the negative political advertising which dominates our airways and adds to the divisiveness of our politics will become more regulated.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT