ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, McNeeley’s out

ok so I peeked in..and saw an interesting and possibly plausible theory.

McN has been planning to de-commit for a while. Woody stopped showing love and was obvious the system isn't great for shooters. If CMW had been dismissed, Liam gets an automatic get-out-of-LOI pass due to coach dismissal. When they announced CMW was returning, the McN camp was forced to pull the trigger.

Of all the things I've read over the past 24 hrs, this makes the most sense.
And his Mom pretty much said that.

it's old school mentality, probably back to the days of RMK..which I get, to an extent. Hey kid, you just committed to our program, I shouldn't have to keep 'recruiting' your ass.

But we don't live in 1984 anymore, for better or worse.
Yea. Does seem logical to want to know how McNeely’s game is developing, what he feels he needs to work on, give him an update on IUBB, etc.

When we hire someone who starts in six months we are in touch to get them up to speed and feeling involved.

it's old school mentality, probably back to the days of RMK..which I get, to an extent. Hey kid, you just committed to our program, I shouldn't have to keep 'recruiting' your ass.

But we don't live in 1984 anymore, for better or worse.

Heck, you still gotta recruit the guys wearing the jersey.

All of these stories just sound like a guy who hasn't been in college for 40+ years and never took the time to think that it's any different than when he was in college.

Reactions: IUgradman
Heck, you still gotta recruit the guys wearing the jersey.

All of these stories just sound like a guy who hasn't been in college for 40+ years and never took the time to think that it's any different than when he was in college.
agreed. It's too easy now for recruits to change their minds, to transfer....Woody is still operating like it's the old days. And talking like it too. Our 2024 recruiting class is down to zero, and based on how all this is going, I don't expect much better from the 2025 class. We all know where this is heading. Well...most of us. Apparently Buckner still thinks it's 1984 as well.

Pretty sad all you had to do is make one kid happy. Call him text him tell him how bad we need him. Have nba players call him assistant coaches maybe a in home visit. Just a complete embarrassment on any level by any Indiana coach. Very hard to support this staff or trust anything said.

Pretty sad all you had to do is make one kid happy. Call him text him tell him how bad we need him. Have nba players call him assistant coaches maybe a in home visit. Just a complete embarrassment on any level by any Indiana coach. Very hard to support this staff or trust anything said.
I really think Woodson caught wind of rumors regarding a reluctance on McNeeley’s part and had the administration confirm his security for next year, just in case “whispers” of his dismissal weighed in on McNeeley’s decision. The desperate attempt didn’t work. It was too little too late.

agreed. It's too easy now for recruits to change their minds, to transfer....Woody is still operating like it's the old days. And talking like it too. Our 2024 recruiting class is down to zero, and based on how all this is going, I don't expect much better from the 2025 class. We all know where this is heading. Well...most of us. Apparently Buckner still thinks it's 1984 as well.
Maybe you should explain to Buckner, Woodson, Chaney and Hulls that they need to learn basketball. Maybe you could tutor them

I really think Woodson caught wind of rumors regarding a reluctance on McNeeley’s part and had the administration confirm his security for next year, just in case “whispers” of his dismissal weighed in on McNeeley’s decision. The desperate attempt didn’t work. It was too little too late.
Did the administration confirm his security? I thought it was an anonymous source.

What a ****ing joke. IU basketball is dead. **** Woodson, the AD, and anyone that supports this bullshit. We might as well expect mediocrity moving forward. I’m sick to my stomach and pretty much done with basketball until Woodson is fired.
Maybe it formally died on November 1, 2023?.🙏🏻

I believe Monty actually played here for at least one year. Pepperdine thereafter?
Monty never played here. Other than his visit, never came back. IIRC, it was a surprise to everyone that he didn’t show up to campus in August of ‘93. Played at UVA a year or 2 also.

That is a good question. Several have entered the portal and then come back.

Can’t see that happening in this case, this was not really a surprise unfortunately
The real surprise to me was when he said he would come. I never thought he meant it. I always thought it was a setup for this happening. Get a gig first, then Increase my worth and go to the next higher bidder. These are the players we dont need. Remember when players wanted to come here and play because it was IU. Good times for we the fan and the players. I know those days are gone and we can see first hand how the money thing has worked out here.( Maybe they need a raise to work a little harder to improve their skills.) The quality of play has gone down as the cash paid out has gone up. And thats not just IU, its nation wide. Money has ruined college sports. Its now a professional league and its a done deal. I will throw this one out. How long before we see ads on the uniforms? Money to be made and easily. Another thing thats wrong but driven by money. Alcohol being sold at a university venue with minors everywhere. Really? As much as I once loved it Im realizing now this brand of "amateur" sports is becoming real hard to enjoy.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The real surprise to me was when he said he would come. I never thought he meant it. I always thought it was a setup for this happening. Get a gig first, then Increase my worth and go to the next higher bidder. These are the players we dont need. Remember when players wanted to come here and play because it was IU. Good times for we the fan and the players. I know those days are gone and we can see first hand how the money thing has worked out here.( Maybe they need a raise to work a little harder to improve their skills.) The quality of play has gone down as the cash paid out has gone up. And thats not just IU, its nation wide. Money has ruined college sports. Its now a professional league and its a done deal. I will throw this one out. How long before we see ads on the uniforms? Money to be made and easily. Another thing thats wrong but driven by money. Alcohol being sold at a university venue with minors everywhere. Really? As much as I once loved it Im realizing now this brand of "amateur" sports is becoming real hard to enjoy.
I think a lot of people are getting to this point regarding "amateur" "college" sports.

Reactions: bbafficionado
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT