ADVERTISEMENT

We Should Start Taking A More Serious Look At Josiah Ball From Maconaquah

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
6'5" Junior Guard/Forward who is #1 in Indiana (and #26 nationally) in scoring average at 31.2 PPG. Just had a 50 point game a couple of days ago and is shooting 40% from 3 point range. He also averages 6 RPG and 3 steals per game.

Reactions: ulrey and DANC
6'5" Junior Guard/Forward who is #1 in Indiana (and #26 nationally) in scoring average at 31.2 PPG. Just had a 50 point game a couple of days ago and is shooting 40% from 3 point range. He also averages 6 RPG and 3 steals per game.
Good players come from all over, but that’s an awful small school. Little bit like Blackford County.

Some reports say that Sisley is not a B1G caliber player. Interesting with all the schools recruiting him.

No idea how good this kid is. 30ppg is eye opening no matter who he plays for. But that school isn’t all that big, and plays a pretty weak schedule. They lost by 25 to Brownsburg, and got handled by Tipton…probably the two most legit schools on their schedule.

6-5 shooter scoring 30ppg deserves a look, for sure. But where he plays might explain why he isn’t getting more looks yet.

No idea how good this kid is. 30ppg is eye opening no matter who he plays for. But that school isn’t all that big, and plays a pretty weak schedule. They lost by 25 to Brownsburg, and got handled by Tipton…probably the two most legit schools on their schedule.

6-5 shooter scoring 30ppg deserves a look, for sure. But where he plays might explain why he isn’t getting more looks yet.
Wisconsin has a kid who played for a 2A school, Central Noble - Connor Essegian - who is about the same size and plays a crucial role for them.

Good players like that can get even better when playing good competition and can fill a role. I wouldn't dismiss any player averaging over 30 ppg based on the size of school they play for.

Wisconsin has a kid who played for a 2A school, Central Noble - Connor Essegian - who is about the same size and plays a crucial role for them.

Good players like that can get even better when playing good competition and can fill a role. I wouldn't dismiss any player averaging over 30 ppg based on the size of school they play for.
Essegian is not playing a crucial role for Wisky this year. He hardly plays (7 minutes a game). IU should go get him for next season. Kid can absolutely shoot.

Last edited:
Essegian is not playing a crucial role for Wisky this year. He hardly plays (7 minutes a game). IU should go get him for next season. Kid can absolutely shoot.
The times I've seen him play, he hits crucial shots. They bring him in for his shooting - that's filling a crucial role.

I know he plays more than 7 minutes a game every time I watch them, and I watch them a lot.

Bottom line is, he's a player on a team at the top of the B1G and our 4 and 5 stars are trying to stay out of the bottom tier.

Tipton ... how many realize that Luke Recker's DeKalb HS coach is the head coach at Tipton?
Met Cliff Hawkins at a B-Ball Camp shortly after the accident and talked to him for quite a while. He did not have to spend as much time talking to me, but we spent time talking about Luke and a lot about basketball. Great guy!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The times I've seen him play, he hits crucial shots. They bring him in for his shooting - that's filling a crucial role.

I know he plays more than 7 minutes a game every time I watch them, and I watch them a lot.

Bottom line is, he's a player on a team at the top of the B1G and our 4 and 5 stars are trying to stay out of the bottom tier.
He's played more than 7 minutes in 8 of Wisconsins 22 games and only 3 of their 11 B1G games.

I like you DANC but you're just wrong here. 7.3 minutes per game, 3.5 ppg, .9 rpg, .3 apg, .1 spg, while shooting 42% from the field, 83.3% from the line and 31.9% from 3.

These numbers are not good and certainly don't speak to Essegian being a "crucial" player for them.

You must have watched him last season. He was much better then. Crucial even.

Met Cliff Hawkins at a B-Ball Camp shortly after the accident and talked to him for quite a while. He did not have to spend as much time talking to me, but we spent time talking about Luke and a lot about basketball. Great guy!
I went to HS with him my senior year. He was a sophomore and even at that age was wanting to coach. He was a sponge for basketball knowledge.

I like you DANC but you're just wrong here. 7.3 minutes per game, 3.5 ppg, .9 rpg, .3 apg, .1 spg, while shooting 42% from the field, 83.3% from the line and 31.9% from 3.

These numbers are not good and certainly don't speak to Essegian being a "crucial" player for them.

It sure would be nice to have guys hit 83% from the line though.

Last edited:

Didn't dismiss him...

I'd be interested what his plans are for AAU this spring/summer. The combo of Maconoquah and EG10 isn't going to give many high majors the types of competition looks they'll probably be wanting to see...

Essegian played for a similar level AAU team as EG10 up through his junior year. But he played on Indiana Elite his last spring/summer. He didn't start receiving good D1 offers until July of that last summer...would he have received those same offers if he hadn't stepped up to Indiana Elite??? I guess maybe, but its pretty likely that look against the higher competition level is what got him the MAC, and then Wisky and Wake Forest offers.

I wouldn't offer him, if I were IU, without seeing him against elite level competition...is my main point.

No we shouldn’t. He isn’t a high major. We played him and he got his 30 but he isn’t a great talent. Grady Carpenter from Tipton is much better all around player

Not even close.
it was TIC. I'm not tracking hs recruits much these days.
On that note....been very quiet on the Queen and Daquan Davis fronts. I thought Queen was supposed to announce by now. I've read somewhere that Queen might be waiting to see if Ware is gone after this year (which we all assume). Wouldn't make sense from him to come here if both Ware and MR are back.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

I saw him last year and I've seen him this year. He's played well this year when I've seen him.

It's cool - we don't all have to think the same, especially when judging BB talent. Wisconsin has upgraded their talent and he's probably not getting as much opportunities as last year.

I saw him last year and I've seen him this year. He's played well this year when I've seen him.

It's cool - we don't all have to think the same, especially when judging BB talent. Wisconsin has upgraded their talent and he's probably not getting as much opportunities as last year.
You must have watched that 1 good game he had this season.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee and DANC
Didn't dismiss him...

I'd be interested what his plans are for AAU this spring/summer. The combo of Maconoquah and EG10 isn't going to give many high majors the types of competition looks they'll probably be wanting to see...

Essegian played for a similar level AAU team as EG10 up through his junior year. But he played on Indiana Elite his last spring/summer. He didn't start receiving good D1 offers until July of that last summer...would he have received those same offers if he hadn't stepped up to Indiana Elite??? I guess maybe, but its pretty likely that look against the higher competition level is what got him the MAC, and then Wisky and Wake Forest offers.

I wouldn't offer him, if I were IU, without seeing him against elite level competition...is my main point.
Ball isn’t a high major. Indiana Wesleyan most likely

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Essegian or an Essegian type at IU. I do believe he is talented. He's just been relegated to the bench this season. There's no other way to see it.

He's basically got Kaleb Banks numbers (though with better %'s). Do you consider Banks crucial?

More importantly... how did "HE" do against Brownsburg and Tipton? The team score doesn't always reflect an individual players abilities.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Essegian or an Essegian type at IU. I do believe he is talented. He's just been relegated to the bench this season. There's no other way to see it.

He's basically got Kaleb Banks numbers (though with better %'s). Do you consider Banks crucial?
No, I don't. But Essegian gets in games. When was the last time Banks even got in a game?

I heard Conner has struggled some on D , and that is why his playing time is down . That being said he can really score the ball . I saw him play in high school , and he was really smooth and made it look easy . Talked to him and he was a really a nice kid , and very respectful to talk to . If we had a chance to get him , I think it would be a good get . God knows we could always use someone who can shoot from 3.

More importantly... how did "HE" do against Brownsburg and Tipton? The team score doesn't always reflect an individual players abilities.
He wasn’t even the best player on the floor against Tipton. Tipton has two kids better than him. Swan and Caroenter. I kinda laughed on the original post. The kid is a naia type player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT