ADVERTISEMENT

We should really be talking more about Nathan Phillips

You all are spreading a false narrative. There are more contextual videos available. Search them out and stop feeding your own bigotry.
Ehh I don’t think so my friend. Even if the guy was walking up to the crowd of a bunch of young entitled MAGA catalog models, the rest of the videos show said young entitled MAGA catalog models making fun of the chants and clearly mocking Indians.

You can do better here than spew Fox News and Breitbart talking points.

If you have seen them then you know you are spreading bullshit. The activist approached them, the activist got in that kid's face, the kid stood there with a smirk. Everything else in this thread is you all foisting your prejudices on the kid and his parents based on your own bigotry. And now you as an adult are taking part in the online mob against a 12 or 13 year old that is based on a lie.

The only rationalizing going around these parts is all of you hateful, bigoted assholes acting like your shit does not stink as you put down entire cities and regions of the country. Hypocrites. Get on here posting every day about how hateful the people you disagree with are when you all are some of the most burnt up hateful people I have come across.

As for you Zeke, I recall you marching with the women's march, I would assume you would be sulking in a joke somewhere given your association with a bunch of known antisemites who were running that thing.
You come across as unhinged in every single one of your posts. There’s nothing to defend about these kids. The guy was participating in his NA march like he does every year.

And for the record, as soon as I heard Maga bots were telling a different story, I went to look at the longer version. It doesn’t change much unless you are looking for excuses.

How would you, (as a "white,") intervene? With all these idiots and their guns would you intervene? Not me. People and cops have been shot for a lot less than intervening with somebody who is probably whacked out on drugs or alcohol anyway.

For what its worth, I was in a similar situation years ago on a public bus in San Francisco. An obviously drunk white guy was taking off on what looked like an asian family. This went on for a few stops. Finally a stranger in the seat next to me and I talked about shoving him off at the next stop (he was standing on the top step at the back door). He exited at the next stop on his own. This was back when guns weren't so prevalent. I wouldn't even consider that now.

Absolutely agree. If you see someone who is whack, it's best to ignore them. I might become involved if they were physically attacking another passenger. If verbal, I would ignore. They may have a gun, they may bite you, etc. You dont know how these nuts will react. If they began pulverizing another passenger, then I would become involved, hopefully with the assistance of other bystanders and immobilize them until the authorities arrive.

These seems like a manufactured story to me...….from reading the original story I thought it was implied that these students surrounded this poor guy who was minding his own business. That doesn't seem to show up at all from the actual video, where Phillips is obviously seeking out this group and banging his drum in their face. We're supposed to be upset that a teenager with a MAGA hat on stood there and smirked at him? I don't know what the kids were chanting and sitting/standing about....sounded like maybe their school chant?

Talked with my friend who lives in Capitol Hill...he said yesterday was a total circus with all these competing marches and odd characters about.

Last edited:
And what happened at the Indigenous People's March.

Beyond the irony of chanting "Build the wall!" at a Native American, beyond the now painfully obvious conclusion that the March for Life has nothing to do with the dignity of life and everything to do with creating an excuse for right-wing blowhards to invade the Mall, beyond the stoic dignity of Phillips himself, who is a Vietnam Veteran and the keeper of a sacred pipe, which he regularly takes to DC to say prayers for Native American veterans who lost their lives, beyond the predictable MAGA hats that were a very common piece of attire for these spoiled brats, beyond the fact that their behavior was so reprehensible that it was disowned by both their own school and their own church, what really strikes me is this...
This has to be the longest sentence I have read. Furthermore "..." implies that the sentence is not finished. ;):)

These seems like a manufactured story to me...….from reading the original story I thought it was implied that these students surrounded this poor guy who was minding his own business. That doesn't seem to show up at all from the actual video, where Phillips is obviously seeking out this group and banging his drum in their face. We're supposed to be upset that a teenager with a MAGA hat on stood there and smirked at him? I don't know what the kids were chanting and sitting/standing about....sounded like maybe their school chant?

Talked with my friend who lives in Capitol Hill...he said yesterday was a total circus with all these competing marches and odd characters about.
I've not spent much time with it, but I have looked at a few of the videos. I don't know exactly what happened and I wouldn't necessarily rule out anything, but based on what I saw, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Phillips was "obviously seeking out this group."

From at least one of the extended videos, drums can be heard at various times over an extended period. If that was him and his group, Phillips was there for a while and making circuits near the steps. As he approached the kids (which in and of itself isn't "seeking them out" inasmuch as they were a large group taking up a fair amount of space), he did turn to face them. I don't know if he thought his path was somewhat blocked (he was at something close to the edge of their group) and/or if he was responding to things (good or bad) they were saying and/or what else caused him to turn in their direction. Once he did, they did seem to envelop him and he did seem to move further in their direction.

Once the "confrontation" starts, sure, the kid doesn't need to run away or anything, but the "stand-off" is weird and I'm not sure we should be so quick to dismiss that so many of them were wearing MAGA gear.

Reactions: DrHoops
I've not spent much time with it, but I have looked at a few of the videos. I don't know exactly what happened and I wouldn't necessarily rule out anything, but based on what I saw, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Phillips was "obviously seeking out this group."

From at least one of the extended videos, drums can be heard at various times over an extended period. If that was him and his group, Phillips was there for a while and making circuits near the steps. As he approached the kids (which in and of itself isn't "seeking them out" inasmuch as they were a large group taking up a fair amount of space), he did turn to face them. I don't know if he thought his path was somewhat blocked (he was at something close to the edge of their group) and/or if he was responding to things (good or bad) they were saying and/or what else caused him to turn in their direction. Once he did, they did seem to envelop him and he did seem to move further in their direction.

Once the "confrontation" starts, sure, the kid doesn't need to run away or anything, but the "stand-off" is weird and I'm not sure we should be so quick to dismiss that so many of them were wearing MAGA gear.

Lager point is that the initial commentary seemed to be that these students somehow instigated this whole thing, pestering and harassing a poor old NA veteran. That doesn't seem to be close to the truth.

Twitter is the hellhole of confirmation bias.

Marcus Frejo, a member of the Pawnee and Seminole tribes who is also known as Chief Quese Imc, said he had been a part of the march and was among a small group of people remaining after the rally when the boisterous students began chanting slogans such as “Make America great” and then began doing the haka, a traditional Maori dance.

In a phone interview, Frejo told The Associated Press he felt they were mocking the dance and also heckling a couple of black men nearby. He approached the group with Phillips to defuse the situation, joining him in singing the anthem from the American Indian Movement and beating out the tempo on hand drums.

Although he feared a mob mentality that could turn ugly, Frejo said he was at peace singing among the scorn and he briefly felt something special happen as they repeatedly sang the tune.

“They went from mocking us and laughing at us to singing with us. I heard it three times,” Frejo said. “That spirit moved through us, that drum, and it slowly started to move through some of those youths.”

Eventually a calm fell over the group of students and they broke up and walked away.​

Lager point is that the initial commentary seemed to be that these students somehow instigated this whole thing, pestering and harassing a poor old NA veteran. That doesn't seem to be close to the truth.

Twitter is the hellhole of confirmation bias.

Marcus Frejo, a member of the Pawnee and Seminole tribes who is also known as Chief Quese Imc, said he had been a part of the march and was among a small group of people remaining after the rally when the boisterous students began chanting slogans such as “Make America great” and then began doing the haka, a traditional Maori dance.

In a phone interview, Frejo told The Associated Press he felt they were mocking the dance and also heckling a couple of black men nearby. He approached the group with Phillips to defuse the situation, joining him in singing the anthem from the American Indian Movement and beating out the tempo on hand drums.

Although he feared a mob mentality that could turn ugly, Frejo said he was at peace singing among the scorn and he briefly felt something special happen as they repeatedly sang the tune.

“They went from mocking us and laughing at us to singing with us. I heard it three times,” Frejo said. “That spirit moved through us, that drum, and it slowly started to move through some of those youths.”

Eventually a calm fell over the group of students and they broke up and walked away.​

I hear that and good add.

TBH, I am so numb to the political and social discord and the accompanying narratives that I have found myself recently just avoiding digging into controversial news altogether. Reading news headline crawls on my homepage and the thread titles here just added to the numb feeling, and led me to take for granted the past several days that Trump ordered Cohen to lie under oath and that a bunch of teens accosted a helpless old Native American man on the mall. It was also a few dissenting thread titles here that finally prompted me delve deeper and make my own judgement and I am left with but one conclusion...the Water Cooler just plain sucks.

It is teeming with soul sucking, self adulating fart sniffers who measure their self worth by how many people they can piss off on an internet forum. Save for a dozen or so posters, the sum total of worthwhile conversation punched out by the remainder would struggle to fill picture book. If this place is in any way indicative of where we stand as a species, we are about a generation or so away from spending our days rolling balls of feces between our thumb and forefingers for entertainment. Coming here to get up to speed on the current events of our world is akin to going to your family reunion with the intent of "getting lucky". How this place still gets posting traffic is beyond me, as every thread seems to devolve into a fog induced 70 car interstate pileup.

In closing, I hate you all....and will see you back here tomorrow .

TBH, I am so numb to the political and social discord and the accompanying narratives that I have found myself recently just avoiding digging into controversial news altogether. Reading news headline crawls on my homepage and the thread titles here just added to the numb feeling, and led me to take for granted the past several days that Trump ordered Cohen to lie under oath and that a bunch of teens accosted a helpless old Native American man on the mall. It was also a few dissenting thread titles here that finally prompted me delve deeper and make my own judgement and I am left with but one conclusion...the Water Cooler just plain sucks.

It is teeming with soul sucking, self adulating fart sniffers who measure their self worth by how many people they can piss off on an internet forum. Save for a dozen or so posters, the sum total of worthwhile conversation punched out by the remainder would struggle to fill picture book. If this place is in any way indicative of where we stand as a species, we are about a generation or so away from spending our days rolling balls of feces between our thumb and forefingers for entertainment. Coming here to get up to speed on the current events of our world is akin to going to your family reunion with the intent of "getting lucky". How this place still gets posting traffic is beyond me, as every thread seems to devolve into a fog induced 70 car interstate pileup.

LOL....this made me giggle for quite a while.

Post of the year.

Was just coming here to post this. Stomach churning to watch. Where were their teachers, parents, any adults? I’m sure these boys think they are fine Christians for attending the March for Life. And how timely. This is the exact type of behavior the Gillette ad was talking about. Thoroughly disgusted.

Well can't blame the men, they were too busy grilling and drinking beer

Beyond the irony of chanting "Build the wall!" at a Native American, beyond the now painfully obvious conclusion that the March for Life has nothing to do with the dignity of life and everything to do with creating an excuse for right-wing blowhards to invade the Mall, beyond the stoic dignity of Phillips himself, who is a Vietnam Veteran and the keeper of a sacred pipe, which he regularly takes to DC to say prayers for Native American veterans who lost their lives, beyond the predictable MAGA hats that were a very common piece of attire for these spoiled brats, beyond the fact that their behavior was so reprehensible that it was disowned by both their own school and their own church, what really strikes me is this...

...This story is just another sad reminder that, in the heartland of America, the next generation of bigots is being gleefully and successfully trained.

What's sad is that the Native Americans have had it worse than anyone post-westernization. The reservations, which it is clear none of these kids have been to, are some of the more impoverished places you'll see, completely segregated from society and, in many cases, modern healthcare. I've only been to two, and there were some stark differences, so perhaps there are certain reservations that have made some good progress.

Of course, the movement towards legalization of gambling in many states is not going to help some of the tribes who rely heavily upon that revenue stream.

Reactions: twenty02
If this place is in any way indicative of where we stand as a species, we are about a generation or so away from spending our days rolling balls of feces between our thumb and forefingers for entertainment.
And you have a problem with that?
Coming here to get up to speed on the current events of our world is akin to going to your family reunion with the intent of "getting lucky".
And you have a problem with that?

Reactions: twenty02

Did you read why he said he went in between the groups? I don’t see him going up into anyone’s faces.

Reactions: All4You
Did you read why he said he went in between the groups? I don’t see him going up into anyone’s faces.

Yes, I did...was mentioned in the AP story I posted.

The one Native American Chief was quoted as finding it a positive experience, by the end. People are way the hell overreacting, as normal these days.

I'm thinking of taking a personal policy of not even commenting on "breaking news" for 24 hours, going forward.

The one Native American Chief was quoted as finding it a positive experience, by the end. People are way the hell overreacting, as normal these days.

I'm thinking of taking a personal policy of not even commenting on "breaking news" for 24 hours, going forward.

If jumping to conclusions were an Olympic event, the US would dominate.

If jumping to conclusions were an Olympic event, the US would dominate.
I violated my own guideline of refraining to comment on most initial stories because the initial story is often inaccurate - as this one was too. While a few of the kids were acting dickish, it wasn’t nearly so egregious as was initially reported and many of us believed.

Reactions: MrBing
I violated my own guideline of refraining to comment on most initial stories because the initial story is often inaccurate - as this one was too. While a few of the kids were acting dickish, it wasn’t nearly so egregious as was initially reported and many of us believed.

It used to be we could somewhat trust video. With how easy it is to record, edit, splice, and whatever else, it makes sense to wait. We don't get paid more for posting first.

The initial reaction to a new story is generally accompanied by a subsequent counter of "It's a conspiracy by the other guy!"and then an over-correction towards, "You know, what happened wasn't really all that bad in the grand scheme of things."

A LOT of the kids were behaving like dickwads. Apparently, some of them might have pushed back against said dickwadishness. That's good on those kids and they should be commended for it, but it doesn't behoove anyone to excuse dickwadishness. I don't think any of the kids should face life-long scars for this at all. Kids make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. This is an opportunity for that, but if we make excuses for their mistakes, they'll never have the chance to learn from them.

Heck...I used it as a teaching moment for my own kid, asking him to pick out which kid did he think he would be in the video. He couldn't find one, so hopefully he would have been one of those kids who are thought to have been singing with them in the end.

It used to be we could somewhat trust video. With how easy it is to record, edit, splice, and whatever else, it makes sense to wait. We don't get paid more for posting first.

Just like any other data set, you have to know how to recognize what it is actually giving you vs. what it is purported to be giving you. There are lots of tells in watching visual mediums and knowing them and what they are telling you is your friend.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

I meant the reason originally that he walked in between the two groups. At least according to him, it was to help diffuse the tension.

Last edited:
The initial reaction to a new story is generally accompanied by a subsequent counter of "It's a conspiracy by the other guy!"and then an over-correction towards, "You know, what happened wasn't really all that bad in the grand scheme of things."

A LOT of the kids were behaving like dickwads. Apparently, some of them might have pushed back against said dickwadishness. That's good on those kids and they should be commended for it, but it doesn't behoove anyone to excuse dickwadishness. I don't think any of the kids should face life-long scars for this at all. Kids make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. This is an opportunity for that, but if we make excuses for their mistakes, they'll never have the chance to learn from them.

Heck...I used it as a teaching moment for my own kid, asking him to pick out which kid did he think he would be in the video. He couldn't find one, so hopefully he would have been one of those kids who are thought to have been singing with them in the end.
I agree. I’d only quibble over how many is “a lot,” maybe.

Reactions: hoosboot
I meant the reason originally that he walked in between the two groups. At least according to him, it was to help diffuse the tension.

You can watch all the nonsense here.....somewhere starting around the one hour point. Looks like they got triggered by some lunatics. But yeah, let's blame the teenagers. Pathetic day for the media

Last edited:
Reactions: MonroeCity
You can watch all the nonsense here.....somewhere starting around the one hour point. Looks like they got triggered by some lunatics. But yeah, let's blame the teenagers. Pathetic day for the media

So, the media made them do stupid things? That's an interesting take. That the lunatics yelled bad things doesn't excuse bad behavior on their part. If that was my kid, I wouldn't be yabbutting about what somebody else "made" them do.

So, the media made them do stupid things? That's an interesting take. That the lunatics yelled bad things doesn't excuse bad behavior on their part. If that was my kid, I wouldn't be yabbutting about what somebody else "made" them do.

Are you kidding? Did you watch the video? Then compare it to what was reported, including the NYTs link at the top of this thread.

You had far left-wing lunatics calling them dogs, that they were inbreds, that they had lice, God knows what else....then you are upset that some in large a group of high schoolers started yelling back? And then Phillips inserts himself and gets right up in these kids faces with his drum.

So you've got basically professional protesters egging on some high school kids with full blown hate speech while they are waiting for their bus.... And the kids end up being the one that getting reported as bigots across the country?

What a country.

Last edited:

...This story is just another sad reminder that, in the heartland of America, the next generation of bigots is being gleefully and successfully trained.

Nathan Phillips Lied. The Media Bought It.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/nathan-phillips-lied-the-media-bought-it/

Are you kidding? Did you watch the video? Then compare it to what was reported, including the NYTs link at the top of this thread.

You had far left-wing lunatics calling them dogs, that they were inbreds, that they had lice, God knows what else....then you are upset that some in large a group of high schoolers started yelling back? And then Phillips inserts himself and gets right up in these kids faces with his drum.

So you've got basically professional protesters egging on some high school kids with full blown hate speech while they are waiting for their bus.... And the kids end up being the one that getting reported as bigots across the country?

What a country.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-16-at-8.22.03-AM.png

What a country.
I hadn’t read who the other group was. How many marches were going on at the same time?

I hadn’t read who the other group was. How many marches were going on at the same time?

Black Hebrew Israelites....a designated hate group. Total crazies....they believe all white people are possessed by Satan and will soon be wiped from the Earth.

Standard day in the DC protest world. Any march of any sort brings out all the nutbags.

Of course now the students are getting death threats. This is nuts.

Black Hebrew Israelites....a designated hate group. Total crazies....they believe all white people are possessed by Satan and will soon be wiped from the Earth.

Standard day in the DC protest world. Any march of any sort brings out all the nutbags.
Just googled them and read a couple articles. Yep, nuts. But what makes them a far left group?

Have you ever spent time in Covington? I have. It’s worse than you probably think it is. Remember, this is the area where the creationist “museum” resides.

Have you ever been around private religious high school kids? I have. They’re the most entitled of the entitled.

Ever spent time in Cincinnati? Some of the most miserable folks I’ve ever been around. Many are @ssholes just for the sake of being @assholes. And, in the KY side, there’s still a LOT of racism still permeating the air.

Ever been to an anti-abortion rally? I haven’t ;)

Seems like the perfect storm for this type of thing. I agree that the kids in that picture are going to have a hard time. As they should. That was incredibly vile. I hope they can change their ways, and learn from this. But probably not.

In no way does this surprises me. Saddens me. Enrages me. But it doesn’t surprise me.

Trump didn’t cause this stuff. But he sure as hell is dragging it back out. Perhaps it’s better to rip the band aid off, and deal with some of the deep wounds this country was founded upon. We can only hope. Until these wounds are addressed, it’s going to be really painful, however.

I’m off my soapbox now.
Good grief. You are clueless.
First of all, the Creation Museum is not in Covington. It's not even in the same county.
As for your comments about Cincinnati, you could not be further from the truth. Folks around here are far from miserable. The National Underground Railroad Museum is in Cincinnati. Along with the amazing Holocaust and Humanity Center (https://www.holocaustandhumanity.org/) - something I actually worked on.

I'm pretty sure I know why you felt people wer @assholes around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT