ADVERTISEMENT

We should really be talking more about Nathan Phillips

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
And what happened at the Indigenous People's March.

Beyond the irony of chanting "Build the wall!" at a Native American, beyond the now painfully obvious conclusion that the March for Life has nothing to do with the dignity of life and everything to do with creating an excuse for right-wing blowhards to invade the Mall, beyond the stoic dignity of Phillips himself, who is a Vietnam Veteran and the keeper of a sacred pipe, which he regularly takes to DC to say prayers for Native American veterans who lost their lives, beyond the predictable MAGA hats that were a very common piece of attire for these spoiled brats, beyond the fact that their behavior was so reprehensible that it was disowned by both their own school and their own church, what really strikes me is this...

...This story is just another sad reminder that, in the heartland of America, the next generation of bigots is being gleefully and successfully trained.

Was just coming here to post this. Stomach churning to watch. Where were their teachers, parents, any adults? I’m sure these boys think they are fine Christians for attending the March for Life. And how timely. This is the exact type of behavior the Gillette ad was talking about. Thoroughly disgusted.

Beyond the irony of chanting "Build the wall!" at a Native American, beyond the now painfully obvious conclusion that the March for Life has nothing to do with the dignity of life and everything to do with creating an excuse for right-wing blowhards to invade the Mall, beyond the stoic dignity of Phillips himself, who is a Vietnam Veteran and the keeper of a sacred pipe, which he regularly takes to DC to say prayers for Native American veterans who lost their lives, beyond the predictable MAGA hats that were a very common piece of attire for these spoiled brats, beyond the fact that their behavior was so reprehensible that it was disowned by both their own school and their own church, what really strikes me is this...

...This story is just another sad reminder that, in the heartland of America, the next generation of bigots is being gleefully and successfully trained.
More of that economic anxiety we've heard so much about.

I'm sick of the "Heartland".

It was beyond appalling. These are the secondary and tertiary effects of racist dog whistles and know-nothing nationalism. I hope that kid gets marked and is remembered in job interviews for the rest of his young adulthood. **** him.

This is someone's son. I wonder what his father thinks. I'd be thinking I was a failure.

maga.jpg

But look at all the faces of those kids around him, egging him on. Not one of them stepped up. Not a single one.
I continue to wonder what happened here. These young men have parents, family, teachers, priests. Presumably some adult minders were present at the Mall with them. There needs to be some soul searching in that community. I'd be horrified if I were an affected parent.

I continue to wonder what happened here. These young men have parents, family, teachers, priests. Presumably some adult minders were present at the Mall with them. There needs to be some soul searching in that community. I'd be horrified if I were an affected parent.
Let’s not be shocked that a bunch of private parochial school kids from freaking Kentucky are abhorrent racists. Water is wet.

Let’s not be shocked that a bunch of private parochial school kids from freaking Kentucky are abhorrent racists. Water is wet.
That's the obvious takeaway. Like me, James Fallows wonders what the adults are up to, and notes that the Mayor of Covington (where this school is technically not located) has some good points to make.

Still. The MAGA hats. This is what they've been taught it means to make America great again.

Yeah, that's always been obvious. It just hurts me when I see it emerging in young people who didn't get to choose their parents or their community. Every one of those sneering young faces could have been raised and encouraged otherwise.
To be fair, some of them probably were raised and encouraged otherwise. Some of them probably felt bad about being a part of that, even while it was happening. Peer pressure is a bitch at that age.

But it never would have happened in the first place if at least some of them weren't raised to be racist assholes. You can't start a fire without a spark.

Reactions: Bill4411

Have you ever spent time in Covington? I have. It’s worse than you probably think it is. Remember, this is the area where the creationist “museum” resides.

Have you ever been around private religious high school kids? I have. They’re the most entitled of the entitled.

Ever spent time in Cincinnati? Some of the most miserable folks I’ve ever been around. Many are @ssholes just for the sake of being @assholes. And, in the KY side, there’s still a LOT of racism still permeating the air.

Ever been to an anti-abortion rally? I haven’t ;)

Seems like the perfect storm for this type of thing. I agree that the kids in that picture are going to have a hard time. As they should. That was incredibly vile. I hope they can change their ways, and learn from this. But probably not.

In no way does this surprises me. Saddens me. Enrages me. But it doesn’t surprise me.

Trump didn’t cause this stuff. But he sure as hell is dragging it back out. Perhaps it’s better to rip the band aid off, and deal with some of the deep wounds this country was founded upon. We can only hope. Until these wounds are addressed, it’s going to be really painful, however.

I’m off my soapbox now.

Have you ever spent time in Covington? I have. It’s worse than you probably think it is. Remember, this is the area where the creationist “museum” resides.

Have you ever been around private religious high school kids? I have. They’re the most entitled of the entitled.

Ever spent time in Cincinnati? Some of the most miserable folks I’ve ever been around. Many are @ssholes just for the sake of being @assholes. And, in the KY side, there’s still a LOT of racism still permeating the air.

Seems like the perfect storm for this type of thing. I agree that the kids in that picture are going to have a hard time. As they should. That was incredibly vile. I hope they can change their ways, and learn from this. But probably not.

In no way does this surprises me. Saddens me. Enrages me. But it doesn’t surprise me.

Trump didn’t cause this stuff. But he sure as hell is dragging it back out. Perhaps it’s better to rip the band aid off, and deal with some of the deep wounds this country was founded upon. We can only hope. Until these wounds are addressed, it’s going to be really painful, however.

I’m off my soapbox now.
I've only been to Covington once. It was after a Reds game. And nothing in that experience would bear on this.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I believe any/every town has racists, blaming this on Covington makes it easier to sleep at night but is wrong.

Bloomington had a man taunting blacks on campus last week. The even more disturbing part, no whites even tried to intervene. If the account is accurate, that 50 people were at a bus stop and not one responded to a black being harassed, that is a problem.

What is that saying about all evil needs to flourish is for good to do nothing?

MAGA Mom seems nice. Guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. She’s quoted as saying this is fake news and no one saw the Black Muslims yelling profanities at her poor son.
Saw something on twitter that sadly hits the mark. Trump may be defeated or impeached, but he and his ilk are radicalizing a whole generation of white young men right before our eyes.

I believe any/every town has racists, blaming this on Covington makes it easier to sleep at night but is wrong.

Bloomington had a man taunting blacks on campus last week. The even more disturbing part, no whites even tried to intervene. If the account is accurate, that 50 people were at a bus stop and not one responded to a black being harassed, that is a problem.

I didn’t hear about that. Again, it’s up to everyone watching and seeing this type of behavior to step up.

This reads like a chain email... “supersedes my entire being.”

How would you, (as a "white,") intervene? With all these idiots and their guns would you intervene? Not me. People and cops have been shot for a lot less than intervening with somebody who is probably whacked out on drugs or alcohol anyway.

For what its worth, I was in a similar situation years ago on a public bus in San Francisco. An obviously drunk white guy was taking off on what looked like an asian family. This went on for a few stops. Finally a stranger in the seat next to me and I talked about shoving him off at the next stop (he was standing on the top step at the back door). He exited at the next stop on his own. This was back when guns weren't so prevalent. I wouldn't even consider that now.

I’m off my soapbox now.
Covington is directly across the river from downtown Cincinnati. It's not where the creationist museum is - that's about 25 miles, give or take a couple miles from downtown Covington. Covington is more like a suburb of Cincinnati. The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center (also a museum) in Cincy is only a couple of miles from the center of Covington. I have a large contract with a company that's based in Covington. Those are good people there and I've had lots of good experience with "not racist" people there and in Cincinnati. I only say this because it sounds as if you're dismissing a fairly large city and metro area as racist unfairly - as painting with a broad brush usually is. Of course there are racist boneheads in the area, but they are in many areas of the US. Cincinnati deserves a lot of criticism for the constant construction on I75 and the terrible traffic there nearly every day of the week as a result. ;)

It's also unfair to characterize this is the kind of behavior that comes from Right to Life events. Not that you are, but others are.

Some of those kids need to be suspended from school. The parents of most of those kids need to explain to them exactly why what they did was wrong, vile and cruel and that they've embarrassed themselves, their school, their families, their home town and all the people at that march.

I've only been to Covington once. It was after a Reds game. And nothing in that experience would bear on this.
Mine either. In fact, my experience is that the young and hip crowd hang out at the bars in Covington along the river. Well, they weren't all young and hip - I've been there with some of my less young, less hip friends too. ;)

Covingting Catholic High School. Whilentrue that they're from Kentucky, these near-Hoosier white trash punks aren't from a trailer park.
Somehow, I imagine there is a very real possibility his father is thinking nothing of the sort.
How would you, (as a "white,") intervene? With all these idiots and their guns would you intervene? Not me. People and cops have been shot for a lot less than intervening with somebody who is probably whacked out on drugs or alcohol anyway.

For what its worth, I was in a similar situation years ago on a public bus in San Francisco. An obviously drunk white guy was taking off on what looked like an asian family. This went on for a few stops. Finally a stranger in the seat next to me and I talked about shoving him off at the next stop (he was standing on the top step at the back door). He exited at the next stop on his own. This was back when guns weren't so prevalent. I wouldn't even consider that now.
Seriously? You wouldn't stand up to a smug little high school prick for fear he'd pull out a gun?

Covingting Catholic High School. Whilentrue that they're from Kentucky, these near-Hoosier white trash punks aren't from a trailer park.

Seriously? You wouldn't stand up to a smug little high school prick for fear he'd pull out a gun?

Go back and read my post, and the one I responded to again. You aren't looking good here.

It's hard to say. I've been in a couple situations on the DC metro where I had to decide whether to step-up. Once I did, and once I didn't. But I don't think either were particularly risky situations for me or the people involved.

I will say that at this stage of my life and with all the crap going on around us, I think I would probably be a little less reluctant to step up and confront someone even knowing the risks. Not that I'm hoping for the day when I'm faced with the choice.

Even excepting people afraid of guns, no one tried to comfort her after the guy left?

I’d definitely say something if I’d heard a guy ranting like that in Bloomington. Or I would have called police if situation looked dangerous. I stepped in at a grocery store once when line was long and a moron was loudly yelling n word at a cashier.

You all are spreading a false narrative. There are more contextual videos available. Search them out and stop feeding your own bigotry.
I’ve seen them. No excuses. I knew it wouldn’t be long until people were here rationalizing.

Reactions: HoosierPeach
You all are spreading a false narrative. There are more contextual videos available. Search them out and stop feeding your own bigotry.

That's an interesting take, Crazy. I've seen some of the videos that claim to offer the "true" context. What's the context for a young man laughing and making a feather behind the head sign when they see a Native American? Is finding that ugly just my own bigotry? Or do I just need to contextualize it?

I’ve seen them. No excuses. I knew it wouldn’t be long until people were here rationalizing.

If you have seen them then you know you are spreading bullshit. The activist approached them, the activist got in that kid's face, the kid stood there with a smirk. Everything else in this thread is you all foisting your prejudices on the kid and his parents based on your own bigotry. And now you as an adult are taking part in the online mob against a 12 or 13 year old that is based on a lie.

The only rationalizing going around these parts is all of you hateful, bigoted assholes acting like your shit does not stink as you put down entire cities and regions of the country. Hypocrites. Get on here posting every day about how hateful the people you disagree with are when you all are some of the most burnt up hateful people I have come across.

As for you Zeke, I recall you marching with the women's march, I would assume you would be sulking in a joke somewhere given your association with a bunch of known antisemites who were running that thing.

If you have seen them then you know you are spreading bullshit. The activist approached them, the activist got in that kid's face, the kid stood there with a smirk. Everything else in this thread is you all foisting your prejudices on the kid and his parents based on your own bigotry. And now you as an adult are taking part in the online mob against a 12 or 13 year old that is based on a lie.

The only rationalizing going around these parts is all of you hateful, bigoted assholes acting like your shit does not stink as you put down entire cities and regions of the country. Hypocrites. Get on here posting every day about how hateful the people you disagree with are when you all are some of the most burnt up hateful people I have come across.

As for you Zeke, I recall you marching with the women's march, I would assume you would be sulking in a joke somewhere given your association with a bunch of known antisemites who were running that thing.

It's interesting that you think that everyone here is feeding their own bigotry except for you.

Lol.

Interesting that you automatically take the side of the morons that were mocking and chanting Build the wall! Do you have an excuse for that one? Because according to jerk number 1’s mama... it was all the Black Muslim’s fault. Is that your interpretation also?

Says the guy that voted for Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT