ADVERTISEMENT

We really are a bad team.

Escalibore

Recruit
Aug 31, 2001
In almost every game we play, it looks as if we have a dearth of talent compared to our foes. We have virtually nothing after Morgan and Langford, though the younger kids have a chance to develop.

Devonte Green has an extremely low BB IQ and Smith had better find a heart.

In almost every game we play, it looks as if we have a dearth of talent compared to our foes. We have virtually nothing after Morgan and Langford, though the younger kids have a chance to develop.
Devote green should transfer to ball state

You are so ****ing wrong, it’s pathetic. Seriously look at this team. Your definition of talent must be way different than mine.
We have 2 All Big Ten players. How many teams can say that?

This program is in serious jeopardy of falling into permanent irrelevance as a result of decades of gross mismanagement. I am beyond outraged that this was allowed to happen.

Wait a minute! Now wait just one gosh-darned minute!

Our fans love basketball! We are THE basketball school in the Big Ten. No way we lose to those “football schools” !!! Oh wait....what? Nebraska did what? Well...there goes that theory. Crap.

You are so ****ing wrong, it’s pathetic. Seriously look at this team. Your definition of talent must be way different than mine.
We have 2 All Big Ten players. How many teams can say that?
That’s it. Those are the only two who would start for Nebraska and Phinisee would be the only other IU player who would play. Nebraska coach wouldn’t want any of the rest. Also, IU is the only B1G team who has no shooters. Every team we play has at least one or two decent 3-pt shooters. IU has none.

Reactions: bsmitty08
That’s it. Those are the only two who would start for Nebraska and Phinisee would be the only other IU player who would play. Nebraska coach wouldn’t want any of the rest. Also, IU is the only B1G team who has no shooters. Every team we play has at least one or two decent 3-pt shooters. IU has none.

Whose fault is that?

We beat some good teams this year.
(Not to say Nebraska isnt one, they looked great if they normally play that well)

Were capable.
Were just playing lazy, half assed lackadaisical ball.
That is hands down our biggest problem. Its been our biggest problem (behind turnovers) since Crean days.
What does that tell you?\ Take it for what it is

Last edited:
I would say the trick is that amout 7 or 8 teams could argue their top 3 players are better than IU's top 3.
Stop. That’s absurd. I don’t know if you could find one other team.

Romeo and Morgan are really good. I don't think anyone else on this team would start on any B1G team. Not to say the won't ever be good. Just not yet.

Reactions: kmathum
We ave 2 stud players and some good promise in Rob.After that, pretty much nada.
Bad news is next year those studs are gone. Even if we get Brooks we aren't going to replace what we will be losing.
Good news is in 2 years we should be heading in the right direction.
Other bad news is, it shouldn't be taking us that long to get good.
This sucks.

Reactions: BigMobe
We need shooters teams are forcing us to be a outside shooting team we have no threats.

This is the biggest issue this team has. Hunter would have really helped here, but it just is so hard to overcome no shooting. One really good shooter would free up so much inside.
Romeo is such a great scorer, but is not good behind the arc. The other issue is we have a few players on this team that deem themselves to be much better than they are or will ever be. That has to stop. If you can not accept your role on this team, then next man up. Have a seat.

Reactions: BigMobe
We have more talent than all but probably 2 Big Ten teams. Talent is far from the issue.

How much of that talent is physically able to play?

I went back to refresh my memory on the rankings of our current players.

Romeo is the only top 50 player we have that has played consistently and effectively for the entire season.

Davis was ranked 35 in his class, but simply hasn’t been physically capable of playing effectively all year. Hell, he couldn’t even run during the Maryland game. I tore my achilles over 20 years ago the damn thing still hurts sometimes.

Jerome Hunter was just outside the top 50 at #52 and he hasn’t played a single second this season.

Morgan was #103 in his class. Phinisee was #103 in his class as well.

Seems like the rest of the team is all in the 120-150 range or not ranked at all.

Outside of Romeo, our talent is on par with Nebraska’s, if you go look at their rankings, considering Davis and Hunter can’t play.

This is the biggest issue this team has. Hunter would have really helped here, but it just is so hard to overcome no shooting. One really good shooter would free up so much inside.
Romeo is such a great scorer, but is not good behind the arc. The other issue is we have a few players on this team that deem themselves to be much better than they are or will ever be. That has to stop. If you can not accept your role on this team, then next man up. Have a seat.

Yes, I agree that many players on this team seem to think that they are better than they really are. Add to that the complacency that came from a very easy first three Big Ten teams that we played (arguably, Northwestern, Penn State and Illinois are the three worst teams in the league) and some miracle come from behind wins (Butler for example) and it seems that the team has bought into the hype of their greatness. Yes, Morgan and Langford are good players but the other teams know that. Who is going to step up now for the Hoosiers? That is the question and right now I do not have a clue. If nobody does, it will be another disappointing season with next year perhaps being even worst with the likely departure of both Morgan and Langford.

Zach McRoberts has not scored a point in the last 9 games. He has not shot a free throw all season.

Zach McRoberts has not scored a point in the last 9 games. He has not shot a free throw all season.

Watching him try to keep up with other players, who aren’t even sprinting, almost makes me feel sorry for him more than anything. He looks like a little kid trying real hard to keep up with his older brothers. Leaning forward, head down, arms pumping...all to catch up after going around a simple screen.

I personally hope that one day, IU no longer finds it necessary to depend upon "preferred walk-ons", "walk-ons" and grad transfers to facilitate depth.

Case in point: Last possession of the first half. McBob and Fitzner........ what a killing joke that was.

McHoop

Romeo and Morgan are really good. I don't think anyone else on this team would start on any B1G team. Not to say the won't ever be good. Just not yet.

When Rob is healthy, he would start for several teams, he is still a week or two away from sharp.

As fans we really don't know what these kids are going through on a day to day basis. Watching the Journey Sunday night and seen what Ward from MSU was going through last year makes you remember these players are just kids and go through a lot that we don't know about. Before last year Ward's mother got sick and had to have a lot of surgeries and it effected Ward to where he wasn't that interested in playing the game. A lot of nights after practice he would drive the 4 or 5 hours to his home in Columbus Ohio to see his mother. So as fans when we rip on the team like last night we need to realize that they could be going through things more important than a game of basketball

Reactions: papawboog

What we don't have is experience and chemistry. We have talent and if they can play together for several games in a row, we might see improvement. The team seems close off the court. They act like strangers on the court.

What doesn't help is playing a grad transfer that can't make a shot, doesn't rebound unless the ball falls in his hands softly, and has trouble catching passes while moving or in traffic. I thought Moore earned minutes in the first half. Maybe he played later, but stopped watching after I saw Fitzner in the game in the second half. I will be critical of Archie from now on if he keeps thinking Fitzner is the answer off the bench.

We take too many bad shots, give up too many layups and turn the ball over too many times in the first 10 minutes. It seems the game starts and the players forget the scouting report. They usually get the defense corrected and the offense builds off the defense after a couple time outs. All this happens while Romeo is a spectator. Romeo and Morgan have to attack early and put the opponent's defense on their heels. We let teams off the hook with early 3 point shots with no chance for offensive rebounds.

Our problems are correctable. Will the players focus and play a full 40 minutes is the question.

No shooters. Damezi doesn't play, Hunter is out for the season, Race likely out for the season too, Phinisee getting his kegs back under himself after concussion, Romeo is inconsistent, Al is streaky, Green needs better shot selection, Fitzner appears to be in a mental block.

Reactions: UncleMark

Green's decision making and shot selection is poor.

he passed a couple of open 3's last night. need him to shoot those and hope he can give us the outside help we need

I watched him pretty closely, he is not ready to make quick decisions at full speed plus he got winded. He is hesitant to take the long shot as you noticed.

I suspect we will see some improvement each game. Sat will be tough as he will be playing in a vulgar thunderstorm directed personally at his family and him. He needs to be ready to ignore the nonsense and just play. God knows they need him badly.

Just wow.
He wasn't able to play in some of those games, but your our point is valid. There is a time and place for a healthy McBob. I believe he would do well in the first five minutes. He will take care of the ball, get the ball to our best scoring options, and not take a bad shot. I feel like Archie trusts him and can give him a task and he will do it.

At this point in the season, he isn't going to start putting up shots. He probably feels there are 3 or 4 better options on the court and he would be correct.

What we don't have is experience and chemistry. We have talent and if they can play together for several games in a row, we might see improvement. The team seems close off the court. They act like strangers on the court.
This paragraph reminded me of the movie Dodgeball (or atleast what I remember of it) no talent hacks coming together finding chemistry playing way beyond their means....Not saying Iu is that bad off in talent, but it did remind me of it

I thought Moore earned minutes in the first half. Maybe he played later, but stopped watching after I saw Fitzner in the game in the second half. I will be critical of Archie from now on if he keeps thinking Fitzner is the answer off the bench.
Fitzners shot isnt falling and hes lost confidence. Understandable. But if he cant do anything (and I mean hes literally not doing anything else) to help his team. Then he needs to sit forever here on out
Romeo is inconsistent, Al is streaky,
Romeo isnt inconsistent. Romeo is to passive. He needs 20 shots a game.
Durham* is inconsistent

This paragraph reminded me of the movie Dodgeball (or atleast what I remember of it) no talent hacks coming together finding chemistry playing way beyond their means....Not saying Iu is that bad off in talent, but it did remind me of it

Fitzners shot isnt falling and hes lost confidence. Understandable. But if he cant do anything (and I mean hes literally not doing anything else) to help his team. Then he needs to sit forever here on out

Romeo isnt inconsistent. Romeo is to passive. He needs 20 shots a game.
Durham* is inconsistent

agree but Fitzner is playing because no one else can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT