ADVERTISEMENT

We played ok…

I was really disappointed. It was viewing FIU team. I thought we really needed to win by 40+ to maybe 10. I thought that type of score would be needed for us to beat some of the big 10 teams to get to six or seven wins on the season. The score was really 21 to nothing and then they beat us 7 to 3 the rest of the way. That last touchdown was when they were trying to play a different type desperation defense. Will look at the next game and certainly you expect improvement but nonetheless , I was a little disappointed. But as they say a win is a win.

I was really disappointed. It was viewing FIU team. I thought we really needed to win by 40+ to maybe 10. I thought that type of score would be needed for us to beat some of the big 10 teams to get to six or seven wins on the season. The score was really 21 to nothing and then they beat us 7 to 3 the rest of the way. That last touchdown was when they were trying to play a different type desperation defense. Will look at the next game and certainly you expect improvement but nonetheless , I was a little disappointed. But as they say a win is a win.
The spread was 21. It was probably crazy to think this was gonna be some 40 point drubbing. FIU does not suck! They’ll be in every CUS game.

I thought it was a very satisfying win. Did anybody ever get the feeling they had any chance? During the game I mean not coming in. I sure never felt that. It was 'cruise to victory' from 3 minutes in.

If I feel like that, I'm pleased with the win. I don't care if we don't roll it up if its never in doubt. I'm glad coach got some fodder to use.

And FIU looks like they are going to be a good team and win a lot of Conf USA games.

Last edited:
The type of defense we played at the end of the 1st half was disappointing! Like a cover 2 prevent defense!? Atleast thats what they said on the radio. If we play late prevent D like that in a more important game, it will prevent us from winning!

Honestly, it reminded me of the Indiana State game last year. The result never really felt in doubt but it also never felt like much of a dominant victory.

Huge caveat, we have no clue how good FIU really is.

I was impressed with Rourke’s elusiveness avoiding sacks and moving around. I do have some concerns that the little head dip move he does to dodge is gonna get him whacked in the head.

I thought the running backs ran pretty well. Everything else was more or less conventional and methodical.

D Line looked good and D was good overall, getting pressures with D Lineman is something we’ve really missed.

Overall, I also agree that the first game that matters is in the Rose bowl in 2 weeks.

Honestly, it reminded me of the Indiana State game last year. The result never really felt in doubt but it also never felt like much of a dominant victory.

Huge caveat, we have no clue how good FIU really is.

I was impressed with Rourke’s elusiveness avoiding sacks and moving around. I do have some concerns that the little head dip move he does to dodge is gonna get him whacked in the head.

I thought the running backs ran pretty well. Everything else was more or less conventional and methodical.

D Line looked good and D was good overall, getting pressures with D Lineman is something we’ve really missed.

Overall, I also agree that the first game that matters is in the Rose bowl in 2 weeks.
Indiana State was quite possibly the worst FCS team last year. 1-10. This was not Indiana State.

Just got back from Bloomington. I’ll have to watch the recording but from the stands I thought we ran fairly well. Pass protection needs to improve. Thought our defense was solid most of the game. Way too many penalties which they need to clean up.

Not sure if early fatigue played a role, I know it was hot in the stands. Looking to see a cleaner game on Friday.

I thought we looked coached. (Improvement) Made plenty of mistakes and good plays. 4th string tailback won't be 4th for long. NC transfer was impressive. Avoided major bonehead plays. Didn't let it get close. Players were smiling indicating they dig it. That's what matters most to me. If the kids dig it they will come. Go Hoosiers! Encouraged.

More pleased than not. In the past few years this type of game was won 33-31. Overall the team is more solid from what I have been used to seeing but it is FIU not FSU or the Gators. Second half was lackluster so time will tell.

... This game never was a gimme and it blows me away that some on here thought it would or should be.... FIU can stand with most teams and more important, FIU is definitley NOT Indiana State... if you get my drift.....:cool:

This game offers Cignetti and staff lots of negative details to correct in practice this week. Really like the RB's. They seek a hole without dancing behind the line. OL run blocking was pretty fair. The QB is for real. BB will give pass blocking priority to improve this week coming up. I'm not really worried about him getting the job done. D is pretty impressive and will only get better. Sure is nice to see a HC on the sideline that boils when he sees shit that just should not be happening. He is driven and won't be denied. My confidence and expectations are even more solid. Wear the gear it's only gonna get better.

Indiana State was quite possibly the worst FCS team last year. 1-10. This was not Indiana State.
I didn’t mean to imply that they were comparable to Indiana State.

My point is I feel the same after each win.

They beat ISU 41-7 and I remember posting at the time that it didn’t “feel” like the dominant blowout win the score suggested.

Today didn’t feel like the convincing win the score suggested it was. I’m not sure how to say better than it just didn’t “feel” great even though it was a game that never felt in jeopardy.

Cig forgot to leap into an assistants arms in jubilation.
will ferrell everybody love everybody GIF

Oregon is struggling with Idaho
UCLA is struggling with Hawaii
Michigan is struggling with Fresno St.
MSU struggled with FAU
Wisconsin struggled with WMU

We are not the only ones that didn't come out of the gates in mid-season form.

I personally believe that that NCAA imposed limits on pre-season practice has become an equalizer for early season games.

I have confidence that Cig will get this team to dramatically improve as the season progresses.

Yeah, Michigan is a 21.5 point favorite and struggling at home. I'm thinking Indiana actually looked good in a lot of areas.

I don't think Cignetti showed much of the playback, particularly on offense. That should bode well for future games.

I was looking for a game where the outcome was never in doubt, and we got that. I don’t think the point differential/point totals, particularly in a first game, are all that important or predictive of future results. Some very good teams in the conference (Wisconsin, for example) struggled to put away lesser opponents this weekend. #3 Oregon didn’t take control against Idaho until late in the 4th.

We’re not going to know much until UCLA two weeks from tonight. They’re currently tied in the 4th Quarter at Hawaii and I’m not sure what, if anything, to make of that.

Oregon is struggling with Idaho
UCLA is struggling with Hawaii
Michigan is struggling with Fresno St.
MSU struggled with FAU
Wisconsin struggled with WMU

We are not the only ones that didn't come out of the gates in mid-season form.

I personally believe that that NCAA imposed limits on pre-season practice has become an equalizer for early season games.

I have confidence that Cig will get this team to dramatically improve as the season progresses.
Sorry. I basically reiterated your point prior to reading your post.

Reactions: vesuvius13
"It's a basketball school." As I heard over and over - over the years.

Building a new tradition. It's going to be awesome.
Welcome to Indiana, Coach Cignetti. Absolutely the worst fanbase of any P4 team out there. Most of the students quit at halftime. West stands were in a coma. Some of the socialites in the wine and cheese club that saunter in at kickoff and exit right before halftime have no understanding of basic football rules.

As far as the game itself, we looked crisp for all of 1 quarter on offense. Defense had one big letdown but played hard throughout. Thought Rourke looked pretty pedestrian most of the game. Running backs ran really, really hard. Our WRs didn’t do much although Cross and Horton played well. OL didn’t pass protect well. I think Cignetti believes that McCulley is half-assing it. Knows the kid has talent but lacks effort.
I don’t know what to make of the final score and not sure I take much away from it other than I agree with Cignetti that this team doesn’t know how to handle a lead….yet.
Look around the country. Oregon home opener against Idaho was a turd. Michigan State didn’t exactly light the world on fire. Northwestern struggled. UCLA won on a field goal with 56 seconds left. Michigan had a 6 point lead in the 4th with 10 minutes to play.
Only thing to do is learn and improve….as do our fans.

I was looking for a game where the outcome was never in doubt, and we got that. I don’t think the point differential/point totals, particularly in a first game, are all that important or predictive of future results. Some very good teams in the conference (Wisconsin, for example) struggled to put away lesser opponents this weekend. #3 Oregon didn’t take control against Idaho until late in the 4th.

We’re not going to know much until UCLA two weeks from tonight. They’re currently tied in the 4th Quarter at Hawaii and I’m not sure what, if anything, to make of that.
Good point. I thought the same thing ( and was really surprised) to watch UCLA, ND, and UMich struggle. UMich had the late pick 6 to make the score worse than the game really was.
Some were blow outs of course - PU, OSU. I did not see much of Penn State so no comment there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT