ADVERTISEMENT

We have a new troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Or more likely, we have an old troll who’s up to new tricks. Today someone created an account with the screen name “ngrlvr”. I learned about this because ngrlvr “liked” one of my posts.

This, I assume, is more of that economic anxiety I’ve heard so much about.

Or more likely, we have an old troll who’s up to new tricks. Today someone created an account with the screen name “ngrlvr”. I learned about this because ngrlvr “liked” one of my posts.

I wonder if Rivals can track him/her through their IP address and give them an indefinite time out. If it is in fact one of our long standing 'friends' we probably won't miss them.

I wonder if Rivals can track him/her through their IP address and give them an indefinite time out. If it is in fact one of our long standing 'friends' we probably won't miss them.
They claim they can't but I don't believe them.

They claim they can't but I don't believe them.
It would be very difficult for them to identify someone via IP address alone. Now, they could, potentially, use the IP address to link a new poster with a previous one. And it's a trivial matter to identify the IP address of anyone accessing your website - regardless of whether they post or not. Heck, I did that back in the early/mid 90s when I ran a website, even using it to identify the location and employer of a troll/hacker that was messing with the chatroom program on my website (I think he worked for Motorola). The guy freaked out when he was messing with my chatroom and it suddenly displayed his IP address and employer name (I was watching what he was doing). I never contacted Motorola or did anything with the information I had on him, as it was the last time he ever even accessed my website.
Of course these days hiding your IP address is a pretty trivial matter for any kid over the age of 11, or anyone over the age of 40 that has 5 minutes to spare.

He should be banned immediately.

It would be very difficult for them to identify someone via IP address alone...

Of course these days hiding your IP address is a pretty trivial matter for any kid over the age of 11, or anyone over the age of 40 that has 5 minutes to spare.
I'm not talking about personally identifying people by IP, simply blocking/banning them from posting from a particular IP. And yes, I know spoofing your IP is relatively easy, but it at least makes them work for it if they continue.

I'm not talking about personally identifying people by IP, simply blocking/banning them from posting from a particular IP. And yes, I know spoofing your IP is relatively easy, but it at least makes them work for it if they continue.
In this case perhaps the goal should be personally identifying the poster.

Anyway of tagging a MAC address?

He is gone on a very long extended vacation under this handle anyway. Was attending a funeral service the biggest part of the day or would have banned immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT