ADVERTISEMENT

We got a contender

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Stay healthy and this team can do anything it wants. 2 of the 3 Tucker gallo Newton stay healthy, watch out.

Rice is a leader and big game player. Missed a few FT but made the important one, and the big shit right before. The steal, behind the back pass was some incredible skill stuff. Rice is probably the best guard in the league.

Kanaan has a lot of potential. He is gonna have to learn he isn’t the go to player. That one three he took was atrocious, can’t do that at IU unless you have hit 3 in a row before that.

Ballo is perfect for us. Not gonna run stuff for him other than high PNR stuff. He is so big! Had a hard matchup today and got put in his place a bit. That is good for him because he isn’t gonna see that again anytime soon. He is about to eat the next few guys thrown at him. The foul to send them to the line for a 1/1 was such a high IQ play.

Last edited:
Stay healthy and this team can do anything it wants. 2 of the 3 Tucker gallo Newton stay healthy, watch out.

Rice is a leader and big game player. Missed a few FT but made the important one, and the big shit right before. The steal, behind the back pass was some incredible skill stuff. Rice is probably the best guard in the league.

Kanaan has a lot of potential. He is gonna have to learn he isn’t the go to player. That one three he took was atrocious, can’t do that at IU unless you have hit 3 in a row before that.

Ballo is perfect for us. Not gonna run stuff for him other than high PNR stuff. He is so big! Had a hard matchup today and got out in his place a bit. That is good for him because he isn’t gonna see that again anytime soon. He is about to eat the next few guys thrown at him. The foul to send them to the line for a 1/1 was such a high IQ play.

Well Cav, with your past predictions, I will wait and see but have my fingers crossed that you are right!

• Haha
Reactions: YOTHN and ulrey
Tamar is gonna make a all conference team too!
All Aboard Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

Ballo is perfect for us. Not gonna run stuff for him other than high PNR stuff. He is so big! Had a hard matchup today and got put in his place a bit. That is good for him because he isn’t gonna see that again anytime soon. He is about to eat the next few guys thrown at him. The foul to send them to the line for a 1/1 was such a high IQ play.
We definitely have the pieces. I love Rice. Everyone who played busted their butts. My only downer was the offensive looks the same.

I don’t think we see any significantly better teams than Tenn in the Big Ten so stay healthy and we should contend. Rice looked next level good. Reneau is a problem offensively for other teams. And for a 3-4 minute stretch in the second Mgbako looked like NBA talent easily knocking down contested jumpers. Get and stay healthy and this team could make noise.

Rice is a leader and needs to be on the floor. Ballo is the center we needed. Mgbako started slow, finished fast. Reneau played after early turnovers. Carlyle is my only question mark. Maybe Galloway doesn't start, but I bet he will play a bigger role than we thought.

It's only an exhibition, but it is a win on the road against an unfriendly crowd and a team some say is better than IU. PU, OSU, and Illinois all lost exhibition games. Winning when it doesn't matter is important.

Reactions: YOTHN

Not sure a contender….4/19 from 3 and no bench scoring. Cupps, Hatton, Goode gave nothing

I'm guessing you're pretty disappointed by the 2nd half. BTW, I would hazard a guess that two of IU's best bench players were held out.
Encouraged by the scrappiness and showing some toughness. Just saying I can’t say they are contender until they show the can can shoot consistently and build some depth. Agree Galloway and Tucker would have helped depth

I bust on Galloway, but that’s in a floor general lead guard role. 6th man he will be great. Tucker or Newton is the athlete big guard/wing we need.
Tucker/Galloway/Goode plus the starters have a chance to be really good.

Edit Cupps & Newton may get some quality time.

Reactions: YOTHN
Understand that. He was certainly bad today. He should be 10th on depth chart.
Yep. And if he is there I’ll be happy. Need two of those three held out today to play to be that top tier team. Can’t see Cupps and leal playing significant minutes.

If you substitute gallo for Cupps and Tucker for leal, we probably look real good today and win by double digits.

Reactions: stollcpa
Yep. And if he is there I’ll be happy. Need two of those three held out today to play to be that top tier team. Can’t see Cupps and leal playing significant minutes.

If you substitute gallo for Cupps and Tucker for leal, we probably look real good today and win by double digits.

No doubt today showed we can have a great defense. Maybe the offense will surprise.

No doubt today showed we can have a great defense. Maybe the offense will surprise.
Goode will get his when we move the ball better. You can tell we aren’t all on the same page yet. Once that ball starts poppin it will help him greatly. Mack is a walking bucket. Need Kanaan and Rice to shoot 35%+ from three.

I can't imagine that the perimeter shooting will be as poor as it was in the first half today. Goode is better than that, Id wager that Rice ends up being a 35% or better shooter.

I don’t think we see any significantly better teams than Tenn in the Big Ten so stay healthy and we should contend. Rice looked next level good. Reneau is a problem offensively for other teams. And for a 3-4 minute stretch in the second Mgbako looked like NBA talent easily knocking down contested jumpers. Get and stay healthy and this team could make noise.
They also seemed interested in defending today. And Ballo got some of those nasty 50/50 nasty rebounds.

Reactions: kkott
Tons of talent. Not enough shooting to contend for a FF but we'll be good.
We need to see it from MM and Goode. MM has shown he has the ability to get streaky and knock down shots. Shooting is my primary concern too and hoping MM can do it along with Goode and whomever else can step and knock them down!

don't know anything about Tennessee, did they play their best players in normal rotations? here is what I do know if Woodson makes this a bubble team, he needs to go. the talent is there to be top 15 team all year

Reactions: kkott
I can't imagine that the perimeter shooting will be as poor as it was in the first half today. Goode is better than that, Id wager that Rice ends up being a 35% or better shooter.
I think you’re right. The problem today was most of threes seemed contested.

Reactions: Vern Pain
don't know anything about Tennessee, did they play their best players in normal rotations? here is what I do know if Woodson makes this a bubble team, he needs to go. the talent is there to be top 15 team all year
Tennessee played this like any regular game. Like IU, they were pretty portal heavy this offseason as well. 4/5 starters played 27+ minutes. Ziegler, their best player, played 37 minutes and struggled with Rice on both ends.

Reactions: Pryght and Cavanagh
We are an older and deeper team this year. Hopefully the staff is looking at film tonight and seeing the schematic things that don't make sense. With Galloway and Tucker added to the mix we will be super deep.

The guy that Ballo was going against was Okpara. Former Buckeye who was a 4-star kid out of high school and ranked #71 by Rivals in the 2022 class. Forgot he had transferred to Tennessee but was a great first opponent to go against as the kid is uber talented and a block machine.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Based solely on what I've seen in the scrimmage and exhibition game, Rice is much better than I thought he would be and, thus far, I could say the opposite about Carlisle. Thankfully it's only October.

We definitely have the pieces. I love Rice. Everyone who played busted their butts. My only downer was the offensive looks the same.
I saw both teams spreading the court. IU would have clusters of players when they did a pick and roll which seems to a lot of their offense. UT never did a pick and roll, they screened away from the ball to create shots.

Reactions: ulrey and stollcpa
Its hard to say this when the team struggled so much for a good chunk of the game, but I was actually encouraged by the offense.

First of all, Tennessee is an elite defensive program, and they have a lot of length and athleticism to continue that this season. A lot of teams are going to struggle to score against them this year.

Further, I've been one of Woodson's biggest critics when it comes to the offensive style he's implemented while at IU. And while I'd like to see a little more ball and player movement, overall, I did like the pace of play for longer stretches being faster. And there seemed to be much less dribble ISO and post ISO stuff than his teams normally employ.

I still have concerns his system won't be dynamic enough, and/or varied enough, to allow us to consistently beat top 20 level teams this year. With the lack in overall ball and player movement, at times, the offense will be prone to being stagnant for stretches...and that will hurt us against good teams at times. But to just say the offense looked the "same", isn't accurate.

I think Trey could end up being a huge "addition" to what we saw yesterday as well. If nothing else, Trey does move the ball with pace. With him off the ball, its one less guy that the ball should stop or "die" with.

Based solely on what I've seen in the scrimmage and exhibition game, Rice is much better than I thought he would be and, thus far, I could say the opposite about Carlisle. Thankfully it's only October.
Carlyle played extremely well defensively and had 4 assists. This likely goes unnoticed in an exhibition game.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Its hard to say this when the team struggled so much for a good chunk of the game, but I was actually encouraged by the offense.

First of all, Tennessee is an elite defensive program, and they have a lot of length and athleticism to continue that this season. A lot of teams are going to struggle to score against them this year.

Further, I've been one of Woodson's biggest critics when it comes to the offensive style he's implemented while at IU. And while I'd like to see a little more ball and player movement, overall, I did like the pace of play for longer stretches being faster. And there seemed to be much less dribble ISO and post ISO stuff than his teams normally employ.

I still have concerns his system won't be dynamic enough, and/or varied enough, to allow us to consistently beat top 20 level teams this year. With the lack in overall ball and player movement, at times, the offense will be prone to being stagnant for stretches...and that will hurt us against good teams at times. But to just say the offense looked the "same", isn't accurate.

I think Trey could end up being a huge "addition" to what we saw yesterday as well. If nothing else, Trey does move the ball with pace. With him off the ball, its one less guy that the ball should stop or "die" with.
Primarily, I just like the pace of play compared to last year. This team is also much better defensively.

Primarily, I just like the pace of play compared to last year. This team is also much better defensively.
Stylistically, I just don't like many of the things Woodson tries to do. But pace is one thing he can do to improve our efficiency. And I think having multiple guys on the floor that can make plays with the ball in their hands is going to be a new dynamic. One that Woodson hasn't had much at all, at IU. When X was healthy JHS's year, they had a couple guys in the backcourt that could both make plays. I didn't love the dribble ISO approach he used, and still don't. But we did show glimpses of being really good offensively that year. This team will often have 3-4 guys on the floor that will be more than capable of making plays, from the perimeter, going to the basket...for themselves and for others. Woodson won't likely FULLY utilize that depth of versatility, but I'm sure he will lean in to it more.

I am not being a jerk but the offense didn’t look different at all to me. We took more threes but most seemed forced and contested. Still lots of dribbling and ISO.

Can you describe the difference in the offense between the two years?

I am not being a jerk but the offense didn’t look different at all to me. We took more threes but most seemed forced and contested. Still lots of dribbling and ISO.

Can you describe the difference in the offense between the two years?
Pace. More players involved making plays with the ball. Less double post. Nothing earth shatteringly different. But I saw enough that I didn't feel compelled to come here and bash Woodson...which I've done numerous times after games since he arrived in Bloomington. And I'm sure I'll do at some point this season.

I was hoping for it, but asking someone like Woodson to completely change his offense is probably not overly realistic. There are still going to be a lot of ISO elements. He's still going to run certain things through the post. And ironically, it'll never look like the offense he became an All American in during college. Its going to cost him some games this year, and will continue to hold him back recruiting certain types of high level perimeter prospects.

But I did come away more encouraged than I expected to be, after seeing the score, and following along on Hooky's play by play in the chat. Certainly not Coach Cignetti levels of encouraged, but I can see some things there...

regarding our strictly half court offense: this will sound a bit harsh, but rather than two guys moving and three guys standing as we have seen in the past three season, we now have three guys moving and two guys standing. A step in the right direction.
Our offense would have looked a lot better if we had hit shots from the perimeter. I will write it off as first game jitters on the road vs a good team. We need Trey and motherTucker on the court creating havoc at both ends.

Reactions: Cavanagh
regarding our strictly half court offense: this will sound a bit harsh, but rather than two guys moving and three guys standing as we have seen in the past three season, we now have three guys moving and two guys standing. A step in the right direction.
Our offense would have looked a lot better if we had hit shots from the perimeter. I will write it off as first game jitters on the road vs a good team. We need Trey and motherTucker on the court creating havoc at both ends.
Mother Tucker. I approve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT