ADVERTISEMENT

Watching this for the 2nd time... German tanks are mean.

Dude, it's good... I would be interested to hear what you think about the accuracy of the tank battle scenes....
I was going to watch it anyways. It's on my list, but, I'm still blaming you if it's bad. fwiw that's a real Tiger tank, a Tiger I (late model) unlike other movies where they convert a tank (like BoB and SPR) and make it look like one that one is real. Also the Sherman's look like late model Easy 8's... nice. That's accurate equipment.

If they pay as much attention to the rest of the movie it should be good. One thing though, they have the sound of the 88 wrong. I know nit picky .. but they do. It's a super high velocity gun and should have a whoosh to it, Soldiers have described it as very distinctive. Listen to the sound effect in SPR, it's more accurate. Whatever.... lol

I was going to watch it anyways. It's on my list, but, I'm still blaming you if it's bad. fwiw that's a real Tiger tank, a Tiger I (late model) unlike other movies where they convert a tank (like BoB and SPR) and make it look like one that one is real. Also the Sherman's look like late model Easy 8's... nice. That's accurate equipment.

If they pay as much attention to the rest of the movie it should be good. One thing though, they have the sound of the 88 wrong. I know nit picky .. but they do. It's a super high velocity gun and should have a whoosh to it, Soldiers have described it as very distinctive. Listen to the sound effect in SPR, it's more accurate. Whatever.... lol

See, this is why I asked you... Cause I know how much you've studied this.

The movie is highly entertaining.

There are some VERY intense scenes...

I guess there are a bunch of stories of actual fights among the cast due to the realism of what they were doing....

Something about Lebouf and Eastwood getting in a fistfight to "win" Pitt's admiration or something...

Ok that sounds gay... But I guess he was like a cool, father figure type to them and they wanted to be his "favorite".

See, this is why I asked you... Cause I know how much you've studied this.

The movie is highly entertaining.

There are some VERY intense scenes...

I guess there are a bunch of stories of actual fights among the cast due to the realism of what they were doing....

Something about Lebouf and Eastwood getting in a fistfight to "win" Pitt's admiration or something...

Ok that sounds gay... But I guess he was like a cool, father figure type to them and they wanted to be his "favorite".
I just looked it up, those are the real tanks. I wasn't absolutely sure thinking maybe really good CGI or conversion. I guess they went all out on accuracy. I was wrong about one thing, the Tiger is a mid production model and not a late but it is real. And, those are M4A3E8.Shermans.. ie Easy 8's ..

hmmm .. interesting. I'l watch it tomorrow.

Edit: "Fury" is an Easy 8, the others are earlier models.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-$
I just finished this. It's a good movie, mostly character driven, and uncomfortable throughout. I enjoyed it. Gonna watch it again tomorrow.

The tactics used with the tanks is fairly accurate, the infantry, not so much. They're not battle droids that just stand in the open. WW2 squad tactics was all about cover and displacement. The tank warfare was well done though.

The dropping of smoke shells and flanking was a common tactic of Sherman platoons. It worked especially well against Panthers which had a thick frontal armor but not as much on the sides. The battle with the Tiger was intense. Nicely done.

If anyone noticed - the weapon Pitt was using is a German StG 44, which Hitler dubbed an Assault Rifle. He coined the term, and the StG 44 was the first. The AK-47 was based on that weapon. It was years ahead of anything else.

I just finished this. It's a good movie, mostly character driven, and uncomfortable throughout. I enjoyed it. Gonna watch it again tomorrow.

The tactics used with the tanks is fairly accurate, the infantry, not so much. They're not battle droids that just stand in the open. WW2 squad tactics was all about cover and displacement. The tank warfare was well done though.

The dropping of smoke shells and flanking was a common tactic of Sherman platoons. It worked especially well against Panthers which had a thick frontal armor but not as much on the sides. The battle with the Tiger was intense. Nicely done.

If anyone noticed - the weapon Pitt was using is a German StG 44, which Hitler dubbed an Assault Rifle. He coined the term, and the StG 44 was the first. The AK-47 was based on that weapon. It was years ahead of anything else.

Glad you liked it....... I figured you would.

It was one of the best movies of 2014 that I saw and there were quite a few that I thought were really good. And I'm actually pretty tough on movies...

I broke them down into 1st tier and 2nd tier... But I have all these rated a "B" or higher".

1st tier:
Fury
Whiplash
Birdman

2nd tier:
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
St. Vincent
Kill The Messenger
Nightcrawler
Boyhood
The Good Lie
22 Jump Street (I liked the sequel much better than the first)
Draft Day (I'm a sucker for Costner sports movies, and he was excellent in it even though it felt at times like it was a big advertisement for the NFL)
The Drop
Chef

Glad you liked it....... I figured you would.

It was one of the best movies of 2014 that I saw and there were quite a few that I thought were really good. And I'm actually pretty tough on movies...

I broke them down into 1st tier and 2nd tier... But I have all these rated a "B" or higher".

1st tier:
Fury
Whiplash
Birdman

2nd tier:
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
St. Vincent
Kill The Messenger
Nightcrawler
Boyhood
The Good Lie
22 Jump Street (I liked the sequel much better than the first)
Draft Day (I'm a sucker for Costner sports movies, and he was excellent in it even though it felt at times like it was a big advertisement for the NFL)
The Drop
Chef

I really didn't like the ending. There was no reason for it. But overall it was worth watching.

Only one detail bothered me. The panzerfaust that hits them. Did it go straight through the tank? It had to have. That's not how they work. The first one that takes out the Lt's tank is more accurate, as it set him on fire but that wasn't entirely accurate either.

It was a horrible weapon. Russians tankers feared the panzerfaust more than German tanks. IIRC what they did is make a small hole in the armor, and send a super heated stream of copper into the tank setting everything inside on fire as it would basically explode once it penetrated. The heat would be so hot that it would weld the hatches shut.

I really didn't like the ending. There was no reason for it. But overall it was worth watching.

Only one detail bothered me. The panzerfaust that hits them. Did it go straight through the tank? It had to have. That's not how they work. The first one that takes out the Lt's tank is more accurate, as it set him on fire but that wasn't entirely accurate either.

It was a horrible weapon. Russians tankers feared the panzerfaust more than German tanks. IIRC what they did is make a small hole in the armor, and send a super heated stream of copper into the tank setting everything inside on fire as it would basically explode once it penetrated. The heat would be so hot that it would weld the hatches shut.

I knew you would bring up the ending and I agree.... That could have been done better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT