ADVERTISEMENT

Need some rules help…

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Been down with Covid for the last week so plenty of time for tv even though my brain isn’t working very well. Watching lots of ballgames. Currently watching FAU vs Butler - for obvious reasons.

So here’s my question: most teams keep shooting and making these rather long shots. There’s a semi-circle looking line on the court players seem to be shooting from. Best I can figure, the scorekeeper gives them 3 points instead of the customary 2. If this type of play is within the rules, why doesn’t IU try it?

Last edited:
Bucket… you’re seeing a 3 pt line and a NBA line. The college guys are behind the college 3pt line, which is sometimes temporary and hard to see, but the pro line is pretty strong and it may look the guys are stepping over lt.
in the MSG games, they had 3 lines, one for the women, one for the college men, and of course the pro line.

Been down with Covid for the last week so plenty of time for tv even though my brain isn’t working very well. Watching lots of ballgames. Currently watching FAU vs Butler - for obvious reasons.

So here’s my question: most teams keep shooting and making these rather long shots. There’s a semi-circle looking line on the court players seem to be shooting from. Best I can figure, the scorekeeper gives them 3 points instead of the customary 2. If this type of play is within the rules, why doesn’t IU try it?
it's actually an invisible fence. ask your dog about it

Bucket… you’re seeing a 3 pt line and a NBA line. The college guys are behind the college 3pt line, which is sometimes temporary and hard to see, but the pro line is pretty strong and it may look the guys are stepping over lt.
in the MSG games, they had 3 lines, one for the women, one for the college men, and of course the pro line.
It’s sometimes difficult to adequately convey sarcasm in print.

So you don't believe the 3 pt shot is useful?

I find being the overall superior team and shooting less than 25% on 20+ attempts to be a laughable and way to risky pathway to a nearly guaranteed loss.

Would I like to stack 3 or 4 players that are proven 45-50% on heavy volume three point shooters on an IU team?

Hell yes, and in that case would live with a bad shooting loss and chalk it up as an anomaly.

I find being the overall superior team and shooting less than 25% on 20+ attempts to be a laughable and way to risky pathway to a nearly guaranteed loss.

Would I like to stack 3 or 4 players that are proven 45-50% on heavy volume three point shooters on an IU team?

Hell yes, and in that case would live with a bad shooting loss and chalk it up as an anomaly.
You have to use the 3 pt shot in todays game to be very successful. You have to construct your team in that manner. There is a reason the NBA has gone to 3 pointers and layups/dunks as their format for success. It's called statistics. Do you believe statistics are liars?

You have to use the 3 pt shot in todays game to be very successful. You have to construct your team in that manner. There is a reason the NBA has gone to 3 pointers and layups/dunks as their format for success. It's called statistics. Do you believe statistics are liars?
Pretty sure the term of the decade is analytics, but your point is money.

The NBA is no longer a sport but entertainment that is just a step above a Moster Jam truck rally or WWE match.

The NBA is no longer a sport but entertainment that is just a step above a Moster Jam truck rally or WWE match.
More like the old Harlem Globetrotters where feats of individual athleticism were more commonplace than in the NBA.

Uh oh. Looks like Calipari has finally started running a 21st Century offense.

Last edited:
There’s a semi-circle looking line on the court players seem to be shooting from. Best I can figure, the scorekeeper gives them 3 points instead of the customary 2. If this type of play is within the rules, why doesn’t IU try it?

ohhh-duh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT