ADVERTISEMENT

Watch This

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
My Dad, the biggest Larry Bird fan I know, asked me to watch his retirement ceremony again. I never properly appreciated Bird during his playing days. He left IU and then played for the NBA team that I disliked most. I was too young and too stupid to properly appreciate greatness.

Anyway, I'm linking the youtube video of the ceremony, but the part that I want everyone to hear starts at the 1:18:40 mark. He's talking about understanding the expectations of the Boston Celtics fanbase. His speech starts at about the 1:15:00 mark if you want to hear the entire speech again.

These days, many think that fans aren't really supposed to have expectations. Just show up and support the team, leaving expectations to those drawing the paychecks. Bird, I think, sees it differently.

Boston fans are passionate but IU fans are a bunch of meanies wanting more than big ten titles and sweet 16s.

I became a Celtics fan when Hondo was there. Then became a Mav fan when I moved to Dallas during the initial season of the Mavs but I still always rooted for those Bird teams when they didn't play Dallas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT