ADVERTISEMENT

Was there not a new IU golf course renovation thread here earlier today?

FWIW, I live in Bloomington and my group of golf friends rarely play IU and will travel 30-60 minutes to play anywhere else. Two Par 5s, three Par 3s, and the back 9 has eight Par 4s. Not fun to play and the course is pretty average.

I prefer to play the Par 3 course at IU, which is sadly going away.
That's a good point. The IU course simply wasn't much fun to play. We played it pretty regularly in school, mainly because it was close and cheap. Given my druthers, I would much rather have driven over to Salt Creek in Nashville, which wasn't a good course by any stretch, but was at least interesting.

I'm not terribly sad to see the par 3 going away. There wasn't anything to it. Would be nice if there was some way to keep it and redo it, but that's not going to happen. You can get the same experience by driving over to Taylor's Par 3 north of town.

Didn't think about the dead ash trees. Our club took down over 200 in the last 2 years, at a cost of over $200k. And we didn't have near the trees that IU does...and that was a deal. Wouldn't surprise me if they spend $400-500k taking out dead trees. Plus they are a huge liability, we had huge limbs falling without notice, could have easily killed someone in wrong place at wrong time.
This can't be true! I was told it was the trees that make this course great!

Reactions: RBB89
That's a good point. The IU course simply wasn't much fun to play. We played it pretty regularly in school, mainly because it was close and cheap. Given my druthers, I would much rather have driven over to Salt Creek in Nashville, which wasn't a good course by any stretch, but was at least interesting.

I'm not terribly sad to see the par 3 going away. There wasn't anything to it. Would be nice if there was some way to keep it and redo it, but that's not going to happen. You can get the same experience by driving over to Taylor's Par 3 north of town.

i'm sure Taylor's is fun, but hardly the same experience as the IU par 3 is.

the IU par 3 got heavier play than the champ course, because easier courses generally get much more play than difficult courses.

the biggest complaint i heard over the yrs by casual players regarding the champ course, was that it was too difficult.

many players just don't hit it straight enough to play IU.

current layout does have dead trees, as does any forest.

even beyond the dead trees, had they renovated the current layout, the woods lining the fairways need to be thinned some.

something i brought up the 1st time we debated this, IU is virtually unwalkable for anyone playing less than 18 holes, due to relocation of clubhouse yrs ago.

very difficult for students or faculty or townspeople to walk nine to get in some play, because 9 green and everything short of 9 green leaves you a half mile to a mile from the clubhouse.

because of the hills and length, a pretty tough walk if you're playing 18, even for McNutt. (though the next tee was convienient from the previous green, and walkers weren't forced into a long walk to the next tee, that i sometimes see with newer courses that expect everyone to ride.

a college course that once got a lot of student play, that instantly became virtually unwalkable for someone wanting to get in a few holes, no doubt really hurt number of rounds, and forced many players to the par 3 or The Cades.

as for players who like a champ course, they're now used to bent grass everywhere, some water, and lots of sand.

IU currently has zero of what is now associated with high end courses. all premium grass, fairway traps, and water. all things renovation would have fixed.

could have been great though.

the 2 par 5s and three par 3 is a little quirky, but not a big deal with most players.

relocating the clubhouse made for zero par 5s on the back, rather than having a beautiful par 5 as the finishing hole. (which renovation would have fixed, and returned #1 to being #18.

many/most courses are struggling for players these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT