ADVERTISEMENT

The draft

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
Just wondering if there have been any other years where no IU players were drafted? I am sure it may have happened once or twice before but it is apparent why we lose to OSU, Michigan and Penn State almost yearly. Just look at the talent disparity. Truthfully, I doubt if having a lot of transfers from James Madison will make much of a difference but of course I hope I am wrong.

Just wondering if there have been any other years where no IU players were drafted? I am sure it may have happened once or twice before but it is apparent why we lose to OSU, Michigan and Penn State almost yearly. Just look at the talent disparity. Truthfully, I doubt if having a lot of transfers from James Madison will make much of a difference but of course I hope I am wrong.
You make a very good point Jim. I am hoping that this coaching staff can be the difference maker. The players can compete but are obviously not at the talent level of the big boys. May be a stretch but I am eternally optimistic.

I don't think it's fair to judge G5 transfers based on not getting anyone drafted this year. More accurate would be to say what Allen was doing wasn't working. So maybe we should be thinking it is great that CCC 2.0 isn't employing the same strategy that has been failing us for years.

Rightly or wrongly, when it comes to transfers, CCC 2.0 cares about those who have earned playing time and shown that they can play football regardless of what level they are playing. He thinks that is less risky than going after benchwarmers that had stars or the sexy P5 team but no game tape to back it up at the college level.

Maybe his long term plan is to steal more p5 transfers that were starters or major contributors but we aren't there yet.

On the flip side, he seems to be swinging for the fences for the high school ranks. Progress there takes more time because recruiting high school is years of relationship building. But we are going after the #1 rated QB in both the 2025 class and the 2026 class. You can't say he isn't setting his sights high enough.

Casey not being drafted really makes me wonder about the NFL and their evaluation processes. The kid was a machine and a high impact player in the BIG conference the last two years and goes undrafted?

Something is fishy with that...these scouts and general managers had their heads up their butts regarding Casey.

Casey not being drafted really makes me wonder about the NFL and their evaluation processes. The kid was a machine and a high impact player in the BIG conference the last two years and goes undrafted?
to
Something is fishy with that...these scouts and general managers had their heads up their butts regarding Casey.
I agree as he did well in the combine and was one of the best in the B1G especially in stats about tackles in backfield. But I am sure teams found some issues to not draft him. I think it is better for the ones not drafted and there were a few on SEC starts that didn't get drafted either.

Too many teams are overly impressed by how a guy looks in shorts and a Tee Shirt at the NFL Combine (aka, The Underwear Olympics). Everyone has a flaw in their game. Good Players recognize their flaws and know how to make up for it, whether it's quicker recognition of a play from Film Study or adjusting positioning or alignment to a formation.
There are a lot of Guys Who look good on film chasing down a ball carrier from behind at the line of scrimmage, but They also run themselves out of Plays without being blocked by chasing and getting out of position, or They aren't good at taking on and controlling blockers when a play is run at Them.

Hopefully Casey will be one of those guys Who impresses in full live action and gets a chance to make a roster.

I think he’s got a good shot to make the Bengals, who picked him up as a UFA. The last time we had nobody drafted was 2012 and 2013 back to back years.

Unfortunately, not the case.. no players drafted 2009, 2011-2014.. If we are competitive & start going to bowls again, this guy will be able to sell more talent to come here. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This guy is a relentless worker & always looking to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT