ADVERTISEMENT

Wallowing in terror

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
I'm sorry to hear there was a shooting in Ft. Lauderdale. I hope there are no further shoes to drop at that scene.

Beyond that, don't we need to get beyond excessively obsessing over these events and wallowing in terror? Undoubtedly, the fallout timeframes will shorten as we get more accustomed to these events. And yes, we need to make sure we take the appropriate steps in response for the sake of everyone's safety.

But I'm curious about the cost of these terrible events beyond the immediate tragedy for those directly impacted. How much of those costs can be avoided or reduced by the collective 'us' not engaging and excessively focusing on these events?

I'm curious even if the immediate scene might be more abruptly managed. Again, yes, we need to ensure safety. But is it possible that some of our reactions create undue costs? Economic, emotional, and perhaps most importantly, feeding the trolls and copycats who take their cues from the excitement and attention garnered by these spectacles?

Local news just aired a phone interview with a guy who mighta sorta heard some of the shots. He offered great detail on all sorts of things that aren't really relevant to anything of note.

Shooting shite up is currently deeply embedded in the world's conscious thinking. The sooner we get away from that, the sooner we might see future nutjobs not take their cues from the scenes they see unfold today and seemingly every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT