ADVERTISEMENT

Vitale gives the Hoosiers some love in the ESPN article.

Leafhen1

Benchwarmer
Apr 26, 2014
He feel they will compete for the top, but he still picks Maryland to win the BIG. I will be thrilled if the Hoosiers compete for the top spot, even if they finish second.

Vitale really has his fingers on the pulse of IU. said during a game last year that IU is down because we've lost so much. Even mentioned Zeller. didn;'t mention that zeller hadn't played at IU in a year and a half, but why ruin a good talking point!

IU and Maryland with both be NCAA Tournament teams with high aspirations.

Pu will finish ahead if IU

They shouldn't but nothing would surprise me. IU has much more dynamic talent and much better guards. Who cares about 2 7 foot stiffs???? Golden State is the same size as IU and they won it all - it can easily be done at the college level - with the right coach. Painter is no better than Crean - they are both average. At least Crean can get some talent at IU.

They shouldn't but nothing would surprise me. IU has much more dynamic talent and much better guards. Who cares about 2 7 foot stiffs???? Golden State is the same size as IU and they won it all - it can easily be done at the college level - with the right coach. Painter is no better than Crean - they are both average. At least Crean can get some talent at IU.
Problem is PU plays defense and IU doesn't. PU returns a pretty stacked front court and then added 5 star Swannigan to the mix. They man handled us last year

Reactions: IU40IU
interesting . . .
To me MSU has some very good guys returning and probably and POY candidate in Valentine and one of their returning big guys will have a breakout year like it always happens under Izzo. also to me Izzo is one of the best coaches in the country and I think he will have this team playing great. also you can never pick Bo Ryan under 4th place since he has never finished lower than 4th so I am not going to do it I=until proven otherwise.

Problem is PU plays defense and IU doesn't. PU returns a pretty stacked front court and then added 5 star Swannigan to the mix. They man handled us last year

defense is nothing but coaching and player effort. I could trot out 5 6'3 white guys and get them to play pretty tenacious defense. That is completely on Crean.

If IU finishes 5th or worse in the BT - he should be shown the door by April 1st

Reactions: TheLaffy
defense is nothing but coaching and player effort. I could trot out 5 6'3 white guys and get them to play pretty tenacious defense. That is completely on Crean.

If IU finishes 5th or worse in the BT - he should be shown the door by April 1st
You might get them to play tenacious defense but you would never get a rebound with that lineup

I find it interesting that you defer so much to Bo's past successes but you don't do the same for the winningest coach currently in the Big 10, Thad Matta.

However, I myself have not even done the analytics for ranking the Big Ten teams this year. Even my projection that UMD and IU will tie for the title is based more on my heart then on cold, objective analysis.

This is the best example of "hyperbole" I have seen on this forum in months!

:):D;)

You might get them to play tenacious defense but you would never get a rebound with that lineup

You're taking that too literally. The facts remain that poor defense is a function of coaching and player effort. Cannot have one without the other and succeed.

I find it interesting that you defer so much to Bo's past successes but you don't do the same for the winningest coach currently in the Big 10, Thad Matta.

However, I myself have not even done the analytics for ranking the Big Ten teams this year. Even my projection that UMD and IU will tie for the title is based more on my heart then on cold, objective analysis.
OSU lost a lot of good players last year and will be very young. I think they lost at least 4 starters from last year so they have to rely on a lot of unproven players.

yes but look how Northwestern, Butler, Wiz, etc play defense with pretty ordinary talent. Give me the coaching and Effort first. The talent can make it excellent.
Also when looking at team defense for teams like Butler and NW or UW is that there deliberate style of offense leads to better team defense if you are looking at points per game.

Also when looking at team defense for teams like Butler and NW or UW is that there deliberate style of offense leads to better team defense if you are looking at points per game.

Tempo certainly plays a part. that is why I think Turdue's defense under Porkchop is completely overrated.

Tempo certainly plays a part. that is why I think Turdue's defense under Porkchop is completely overrated.

facepalm.jpg

I would add talent to coaching and player effort.

exactly! crean may have less talent for running a defense than any other coach in a major conference. if not the worst, than in the bottom 10%.

numbers don't lie.

yes but look how Northwestern, Butler, Wiz, etc play defense with pretty ordinary talent. Give me the coaching and Effort first. The talent can make it excellent.
You just made Purdue look good with that comment. I like IU, but we might have a coach from the Big Ten on the hot seat. Should be a very interesting year.

Reactions: aggar66
Hey ESPN ranked IU the best offense in the country for this season
I will say this: IU is usually interesting and fun to watch under Crean. If you're going to lose, at least be entertaining. That is why I would slit my wrists if Porkchop were the coach. Losing and uninteresting is something only a nerd would appreciate

The difference in PU vs IU... B10 scheduling. PU had the benefit last year & we have the benefit this year. What NCAA tourney teams did PU beat last year? IU (2x) and nc st @ Mackey? I mean GBI is talking F4... Too funny.

There is a reason PU was sitting tied at 3rd in the B10 with 2 weeks left & were considered a last 4 out bubble team. Sure they beat IU 2x, but who else did they beat? We were an avg team at best. The Boilers win 20 games & feel they should win the BIG despite losing a critical piece to their success last year. hill will not replace what Oct could do. PU will be a top 5 team like IU, but both teams have major holes... Tho IU has an easy b10 path compared to rest of the top 7 teams in the Big & that's why I give IU the nod. (I just hope Crean does not hold back the potential of this stacked roster, which is my fear.)

Reactions: SNU0821
Hard to think last years game is going to look anything like this years game. There are several reasons for that, but I'm not going to rehash them as you seem pretty set in your thoughts on this.

The difference in PU vs IU... B10 scheduling. PU had the benefit last year & we have the benefit this year. What NCAA tourney teams did PU beat last year? IU (2x) and nc st @ Mackey? I mean GBI is talking F4... Too funny.

There is a reason PU was sitting tied at 3rd in the B10 with 2 weeks left & were considered a last 4 out bubble team. Sure they beat IU 2x, but who else did they beat? We were an avg team at best. The Boilers win 20 games & feel they should win the BIG despite losing a critical piece to their success last year. hill will not replace what Oct could do. PU will be a top 5 team like IU, but both teams have major holes... Tho IU has an easy b10 path compared to rest of the top 7 teams in the Big & that's why I give IU the nod. (I just hope Crean does not hold back the potential of this stacked roster, which is my fear.)

This personifies the huge difference between the programs and fans. Turdue dweebs think Painter is some great coach when in reality he is Tom Crean level. They want to erect statues in front of the Mackey dump while IU wants to fire theirs.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Hard to think last years game is going to look anything like this years game. There are several reasons for that, but I'm not going to rehash them as you seem pretty set in your thoughts on this.

No reason why IU cannot run Turdue out of the building.

Yup. This. Both will be pretty good but IU has an easier schedule. Both are top five teams but I think IU finishes ahead of them.

Reactions: Hoogolf
This personifies the huge difference between the programs and fans. Turdue dweebs think Painter is some great coach when in reality he is Tom Crean level. They want to erect statues in front of the Mackey dump while IU wants to fire theirs.

Funny but true story. We were talking about the IU vs PU game at work last year. A discussion about painter & Crean began, but it ended quickly when my boss said, "Mike Davis accomplished more than both of these coaches & in less time." Lol. Sad but true.,

Reactions: bsmitty08
Vitale really has his fingers on the pulse of IU. said during a game last year that IU is down because we've lost so much. Even mentioned Zeller. didn;'t mention that zeller hadn't played at IU in a year and a half, but why ruin a good talking point!
You missed a word. There should be "not" between "will" and "win." :rolleyes:

Why do you have to make yourself look dumb with the childish name calling. Listen I hate Purdue as much as anyone but you don't have to name call just to make yourself feel better.

You should tell that to the "IU fan" who says we should cheat and calls people "hayseeds" if they disagree...all while calling me "Daffy" the entire time.

Awww......

Waaah!!!!!

I still say you should be banned for calling our head coach a "cancer." That is completely beyond the pale.

You should tell that to the "IU fan" who says we should cheat and calls people "hayseeds" if they disagree...all while calling me "Daffy" the entire time.

Well let's see. They beat IU twice, NC State, BYU, Ohio St, and Iowa. You know, only twice as many teams as you originally listed. Top that off that PU didn't get blown out in a single game (besides vs Wisconsin in the B10 tournament game) and had a chance to win in every single one. Can you say that about IU last year?

Again, PU was in every single game till the end. Stands to reason that with only the loss of one major contributor, and having not only the best D in the B10 last year and with the returning defensive player of the year as well as one of the nations top shot blockers. Then add the players we did. Yeah there is a lot of reason for optimism.

For IU to have the supposed best offense in the nation they better figure something out on D because that awesome offense got blown out at least 5 times last year (only counting losses of 15+ points).

Purdue only lost once by more than 15 points and one other time by more than 10. Every other game was decided by single digits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT