ADVERTISEMENT

Vinny Fiacable

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and me (at least not me) don't have the funds it's the Cuban types that drive the bus
MC is no fan of the college model or the the NCAA. He’s unlikely to be any kind of an NIL savior. We’ve never had an alumni base that cared enough about football to demand winning, but we have a large enough group that adequate funding can and should occur. But that’s a statement that could accurately be made about essentially every P5 school. It’s organizing and driving a result that matters. The revelation that Illinois is the standard for BiG Men’s basketball is telling, and it’s clear that they and a few others are driving this at their respective universities. We need to pick up the pace immediately, especially in regard to football. Bit we can compete if we choose to.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
One of the most surprising things we learned this fall was that IU had the second largest alumni base in the country. That could be incredibly powerful…even at $20 a month.
Exactly correct. NIL is very likely going to be the domain of whales, but that’s not going to be a comparative strength of ours, as most of us realize. We may get a handful of relatively well heeled donors from a State of Indiana perspective, but other schools will have at least as many of those combined with a much greater passion for success in football. Our strength by far is in numbers (an enormous headcount of alumni), and that’s where we have an opportunity to make an NIL impact.

One of the most surprising things we learned this fall was that IU had the second largest alumni base in the country. That could be incredibly powerful…even at $20 a month.
It is and the alumni base is not only large but fairly affluent as well. We have two NIL strategies going on currently (three really but I will stay out of the weeds on this)

The Hoosier Hysterics group (which I refer to as the cringe brothers) focuses on basketball and the small donors both grad and non grad alike

Hoosiers for Good has a bit more Football aspect than HH and generally focuses on businesses and the investor class. This organization (which has two parts) was started by Fred Glass and others after he chose to retire from the AD position.

IU will never play in the TX arena with Football NIL but has the low hanging fruit to grow substantially short term. Basketball will remain a leader to the surprise of no one that knows the program.

Are there any IU sports you actually like?
The ones that win and meet expectations. Our bread-winners (football and basketball) have been a major disappointment the past couple of years. I’ll cheer them on but they deserve a good critique when they fail. This is P5, big boy sports. You don’t just clap your hands and pretend all is well. They want to play in the big sandbox, they better step it up.

The ones that win and meet expectations. Our bread-winners (football and basketball) have been a major disappointment the past couple of years. I’ll cheer them on but they deserve a good critique when they fail. This is P5, big boy sports. You don’t just clap your hands and pretend all is well. They want to play in the big sandbox, they better step it up.
Have a little faith. After Glass got nudged out and Dolson took over, there seems to be a renewed commitment to a number of sports, including football. Hopefully a triumph of substance over style, which is why the change was made (there were several things that went into that). The jury is still out on Coach Allen, but I do think the leadership above him is much more competent (which is why FG was told he needed to “retire”), and I don’t think his commitment to winning has ever been in doubt. Better days ahead . . .

Go Hoosiers.

Reactions: midwolfe
Have a little faith. After Glass got nudged out and Dolson took over, there seems to be a renewed commitment to a number of sports, including football. Hopefully a triumph of substance over style, which is why the change was made (there were several things that went into that). The jury is still out on Coach Allen, but I do think the leadership above him is much more competent (which is why FG was told he needed to “retire”), and I don’t think his commitment to winning has ever been in doubt. Better days ahead . . .

Go Hoosiers.
Are you referring to the same AD that was groomed and molded under Glass’ tutelage? They are the same. Glass 2.0
Glass is gone because he messed up on the Crean extension. Agreed to an absolutely insane contract for TA.

Reactions: midwolfe
Are you referring to the same AD that was groomed and molded under Glass’ tutelage? They are the same. Glass 2.0
Glass is gone because he messed up on the Crean extension. Agreed to an absolutely insane contract for TA.
It’s not a perfect scenario, but his grooming began well before Glass was ever hired, and he was always considered the heir apparent. And while he may have jumped the gun a bit on certain aspects of Coach Allen’s new deal, he also managed us out of the Miller situation and away from the chronic mismanagement of the hoops program, which was the reason(s) a change was made. I truly believe we’re headed upward here, in spite of some of the bumps in the transition.

Glass is gone 100% of his own choice. I can assure you of that.

You may not like his track record, and that is fine, but this nonsense about him being forced out…is just that. Pure fiction.

Glass is gone 100% of his own choice. I can assure you of that.

You may not like his track record, and that is fine, but this nonsense about him being forced out…is just that. Pure fiction.
Surprise, surprise Jack is the only one that says Glass was forced out and he keeps saying it.

Reactions: DANC
Surprise, surprise Jack is the only one that says Glass was forced out and he keeps saying it.
He lost the confidence of some key stakeholders and that was his undoing. I realize not everyone here knows the true facts, but that’s what happened. And the nonsense that he tried to fire Crean the previous year is just that - nonsense. He wanted to retain him, which ended up hurting him badly, but there was more to it than that. Hope that helps. All water under the bridge now anyway. Go Hoosiers.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
He lost the confidence of some key stakeholders and that was his undoing. I realize not everyone here knows the true facts, but that’s what happened. And the nonsense that he tried to fire Crean the previous year is just that - nonsense. He wanted to retain him, which ended up hurting him badly, but there was more to it than that. Hope that helps. All water under the bridge now anyway. Go Hoosiers.
“All water under the bridge now anyway.” … Quite, we could do without relitigating the past more.

“All water under the bridge now anyway.” … Quite, we could do without relitigating the past more.
Agreed. Was trying to make the point that Dolson is and will be better for football, and that he’s a far more substantive AD than his predecessor. We‘re actually n far better hands now, and that’s a good thing. Just glad the Powers that be had enough and decided to make the move.

Go Hoosiers.

Weird. There was another poster here that got all upset when the discussion of Fred wanting to move on Crean earlier than he was able to came up.

Can't recall who that was....really weird.

No kidding, making up stories about a loyal leader at IU after he retired is simply ugly and hateful.

Shame on anyone that would do that.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Glass gave us the NEZ & SEZ. The only thing I can attribute to Dolson is making CTA pay to fire an ineffective OC.

We clearly need a new indoor facility and could use suites and a new press box in Memorial Stadium but I haven't heard anything about that.

Can anyone show me where things have gotten better for football under Dolson than they were under Glass?

Glass gave us the NEZ & SEZ. The only thing I can attribute to Dolson is making CTA pay to fire an ineffective OC.

We clearly need a new indoor facility and could use suites and a new press box in Memorial Stadium but I haven't heard anything about that.

Can anyone show me where things have gotten better for football under Dolson than they were under Glass?
Responses:

Dolson didn’t make Coach Allen pay to fire the OC. Everything that occurred there was voluntary;

We did get the North and South additions, which are great, and we got a number of other enhancements, too. They’re great. But we also got the the legacy of a misbehaving and mismanaged coach, and the fort to push him out less than a year after giving him a lucrative new deal were poorly executed. That included retaining a law firm that found nothing, followed by retaining another law firm that also found nothing. It was amateur hour. Remember, there was a reason no one else wanted to hire a highly decorated assistant coach, yet we did. He could coach but he couldn’t behave, and we had ample opportunity to know that before we extended an offer. That’s not nearly the only reason he wore out his welcome, but it didn’t help him;

We badly need a new indoor facility, and talk of fundraising for that is gaining momentum. Fair to say it’s moving from the back burner to the front, hopefully sometime soon. Suites, on the other hand, have been studied and discussed and discussed and studied. Several ideas have been put forth and at least a couple of architectural firms have provided thoughts and even renderings for them (West and East stand locations). The only thing that’s ever been missing is demand. The AD has reached out on numerous occasions to solicit feedback and potential interest and, while several have liked the general idea, no one has been willing to anchor a fundraising effort to make it a reality. And until that happens, and there’s no indication it’s coming any time soon, suites are on the back burner of a stove that’s so far away it can’t be seen.

SD really likes TA and believes he’s the coach who can make ours a sustainable football program. He’s willing to pay to get that done and he’s committed to the program. He goes about it in a far more low key manner than his predecessor, which sometimes suggests he’s not all in. I think he is, and I think you’ll see him be decisive if things don’t go the direction we’d all like them to with Coach Allen. Time will tell. I’m excited and hopeful that we’re headed in a good direction.

Go Hoosiers.

Other than pay for coaches it is hard to see anything else but he is early in his tenure.

...and I would add BB will work to frame up blocking for the rushing attack which can and will include power blocking and chipping by TE's...Bostad has his work cut out for him but he owns years of experience getting it done...if Henderson can average 3.9ypc instead of 3.1 the passing game can succeed organically...sure would take some stress off QB...
I believe our pass protection would improve instantly if we can develop an effective running game.

The last couple of years, the opposing DL or LBs had no fear of our running game and could blitz at will. If we start to control the LOS more, it would make play-action more effective.

We just need to get back to basics and BLOCK effectively. That will take care of a lot of offensive ills.

Weird. There was another poster here that got all upset when the discussion of Fred wanting to move on Crean earlier than he was able to came up.

Can't recall who that was....really weird.

No kidding, making up stories about a loyal leader at IU after he retired is simply ugly and hateful.

Shame on anyone that would do that.
That person has no shame.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Glass had nothing to do with the NEZ, other than some improvements after it was established. The NEZ actually approved/started under Greenspan. It finished under Glass - I don't remember the timeline exactly.

But the NEZ started when Hep was coach.

I believe our pass protection would improve instantly if we can develop an effective running game.

The last couple of years, the opposing DL or LBs had no fear of our running game and could blitz at will. If we start to control the LOS more, it would make play-action more effective.

We just need to get back to basics and BLOCK effectively. That will take care of a lot of offensive ills.
You’re right, a running game is essential to our success. It’s always been at the heart of Bell’s offense.

Glass had nothing to do with the NEZ, other than some improvements after it was established. The NEZ actually approved/started under Greenspan. It finished under Glass - I don't remember the timeline exactly.

Updating the facilities was a condition of Hep taking the job. He told a number of IU people during the interview process that Miami had nicer facilities than we did.

Glass did install the market leading Excellence Academy which is a real selling point for student athletes and their parents.

Glass did a lot of good things, some not so great but he retired a proud leader and for a troll to try to trash the guy falsely claiming he was forced out is simply disgusting and for a mod to allow this and other ugly personal falsehoods to stand is unfortuante. There is a reason he is not allowed on any other board.

It’s about being truthful, which is what I’ve done. Sorry if that ruins the narrative concocted by others. Some flat out untruths get posted here with impunity. Easy to see through them.
Interesting you know I was talking about you without ever naming you.

Buzz off.

Glass did install the market leading Excellence Academy which is a real selling point for student athletes and their parents.

Glass did a lot of good things, some not so great but he retired a proud leader and for a troll to try to trash the guy falsely claiming he was forced out is simply disgusting and for a mod to allow this and other ugly personal falsehoods to stand is unfortuante.
That's why I said "other than some improvements after it was established".

I don't believe he was ever forced out and have only read or heard about it here.

That's why I said "other than some improvements after it was established".

I don't believe he was ever forced out and have only read or heard about it here.
He wasn't. Total fabrication from the full time fabricator.

Glass did a lot of good things, some not so great but he retired a proud leader and for a troll to try to trash the guy falsely claiming he was forced out is simply disgusting and for a mod to allow this and other ugly personal falsehoods to stand is unfortuante.
I haven’t trashed him in any way. It’s hardly a secret that a series of events led to FG losing the confidence of several key stakeholders at IU. Having the Crean decision taken from him was a very clear signal that things had changed for him. Not sure how that’s is, in any way, controversial.

I haven’t trashed him in any way. It’s hardly a secret that a series of events led to FG losing the confidence of several key stakeholders at IU. Having the Crean decision taken from him was a very clear signal that things had changed for him. Not sure how that’s is, in any way, controversial.
I have repeatedly asked you to stop responding to my posts and put me on ignore as you promised seven user names and thousands of troll responses ago. Stop searcing my posting history daily looking for me.

Please all this immediately.

The controversial part was you saying he was fired instead of retiring on his own. If you quit acting like you have inside information and constantly countering others you are better now, but you do those things that posters don't like.

The controversial part was you saying he was fired instead of retiring on his own. If you quit acting like you have inside information and constantly countering others you are better now, but you do those things that posters don't like.
It’s false and intended to trash a good man and it is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT