ADVERTISEMENT

Vinny Fiacable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019

My guy getting a shout out from CTA for practice performance.

I’m hoping this is the year he breaks out and starts getting some serious snaps.

My guy getting a shout out from CTA for practice performance.

I’m hoping this is the year he breaks out and starts getting some serious snaps.
VF was one of those kids they rode hard in an effort to get his weight down (he was 320+ in the Fall of ‘21), so hopefully he’s able to play at the pace Bell wants to go. Remember his Dad well as one of Mal’s finds from FTW.

Last edited:
This is a really good sign for this year. Problem is, Allen should've made this move a year earlier. Maybe Bostad can bail him out this year, along with Tayven Jackson and others.

People like me just want Indiana to take football seriously and be a regular bowl participant. I also want to beat Ohio State/UM more than once in a generation...

VF was one of those kids they rode hard in an effort to get his weight down (he was 320+ in the Fall of ‘21), so hopefully he’s able to play at the pace Bell wants to go. Remember his Dad well as one of Mal’s walk on finds from FTW.
Bell's desire to go 150mph isn't a smart approach. His offensive approach the last 3-4 games of last season seems to be a superior scheme.

Purdue was road kill if DW hadn't sustained his injury. The win at East Lansing was really one of Allen's better victories during his tenure here.

Jackson seems to be comparable to DW. I would like to see a similar system but obviously with more intricate passing plays. The hurry up offense was not a good look last year.

Bell's desire to go 150mph isn't a smart approach. His offensive approach the last 3-4 games of last season seems to be a superior scheme.

Purdue was road kill if DW hadn't sustained his injury. The win at East Lansing was really one of Allen's better victories during his tenure here.

Jackson seems to be comparable to DW. I would like to see a similar system but obviously with more intricate passing plays. The hurry up offense was not a good look last year.
They greatly simplified the offense for DW, which is why it was at both a much slower pace as well as very limited in the passing game. It was all by design due to DWs lack of practical experience. It was further enhanced by DWs ability to run, though I know the coaches were trying to limit that given our injury situation and depleted depth.

Lastly, no one had any tape of DW, and Bell knew that, so we were able to do some things with him that the opponents couldn’t really scout. It was was really smart on his part, but he still believes that tempo is a great asset for them.

Don’t know if we would’ve beaten PU or not, but it’s hard to imagine we wouldn’t have been much more competitive than we were. The D really laid down in the second half, especially after Brohm exploited us between the hashes. A disappointing half and end to the season. Hopefully better days ahead.

It wasn't a good look especially with a QB throwing scattered passes and causing many 3 and outs. The pace when Williams went in was better and helped the team out. Sending Bazelak back in when Williams was a poor decision by coach Bell and I would have liked to see a walk-on QB come in.

Last edited:

Not sure if Vinny was 320+ or not but I assume he looked it up. 320 would not be good for his frame (hurry up or not) but if accurate, he will be more mobile.

The more measured pace was the right call and I agree doing similar to start the season with as you say, a more sophisticated pass scheme installed at what ever schedule QB1 and the receiver roster can manage.

It wasn't a good luck especially with a QB as throwing scattered passes and causing many 3 and outs. The pace when Williams went in was better and helped the team out. Sending Bazelak back in when Williams was a poor decision by coach Bell and I would have liked to see a walk-on QB come in.
The pace changed because DW had so little prep and game time. It was a really smart decision from the coaches.

Reactions: red hornet

The craziest thing about that East Lansing victory is that we never win there…..ever. Was the last win there, prior to this season, in 1986 with Beauchamp and crew?

And, to top it off, they were playing for bowl eligibility in this 2022 game.

Reactions: ESalum86
The craziest thing about that East Lansing victory is that we never win there…..ever. Was the last win there, prior to this season, in 1986 with Beauchamp and crew?

And, to top it off, they were playing for bowl eligibility in this 2022 game.
‘20, ‘01, then ‘86

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana–Michigan_State_football_rivalry

This is a really good sign for this year. Problem is, Allen should've made this move a year earlier. Maybe Bostad can bail him out this year, along with Tayven Jackson and others.

People like me just want Indiana to take football seriously and be a regular bowl participant. I also want to beat Ohio State/UM more than once in a generation...
Yes indeed a year earlier replacement was needed but we probably wouldn't have ended up with BB.

I was at the '01 game (it was the first road win I ever saw and I haven't missed one - 2020 excluded - since), and that was a great game! ARE set the career rushing yards record for a QB, and Levron played a great game as well. HD Jones intercepted a pass to seal it. I believe he also sealed the Oregon win in '04 with a pick. He was a very underrated, undersized LB/S that had a very respectable NFL career.

I was at the '01 game (it was the first road win I ever saw and I haven't missed one - 2020 excluded - since), and that was a great game! ARE set the career rushing yards record for a QB, and Levron played a great game as well. HD Jones intercepted a pass to seal it. I believe he also sealed the Oregon win in '04 with a pick. He was a very underrated, undersized LB/S that had a very respectable NFL career.
The ARE years while frustrting as hell, were some of the most entertaining games I have ever seen. I did not get to travel to many away games due to kid sports, but we got to all the home games.

Bob Bostad is a breath of fresh air! I believe we will see the OL improve across the board.
Will be interesting to see how Bostad does in a tempo offense featuring lighter linemen. Interestingly, His last Wisconsin O line featured Joe Tippmann, who played center at 6-6, 320, and was a year or two ahead of Vinny at Dwenger before heading to Madison to school. Those kinds of kids are more common in Wisconsin and Minnesota than in Indiana, but they’re out there (we just haven’t been able to get them to Bloomington). Hopefully, Bostad helps us get them to play for us.

Not sure if Vinny was 320+ or not but I assume he looked it up. 320 would not be good for his frame (hurry up or not) but if accurate, he will be more mobile.

The more measured pace was the right call and I agree doing similar to start the season with as you say, a more sophisticated pass scheme installed at what ever schedule QB1 and the receiver roster can manage.
Roster says 305 . . . at 6'4".

I was also at both those games. Thrilling victories. The Oregon game was sealed in the last minute by an interception in the end zone by Kyle Killion. It was right in front of where we were seated.

Will be interesting to see how Bostad does in a tempo offense featuring lighter linemen. Interestingly, His last Wisconsin O line featured Joe Tippmann, who played center at 6-6, 320, and was a year or two ahead of Vinny at Dwenger before heading to Madison to school. Those kinds of kids are more common in Wisconsin and Minnesota than in Indiana, but they’re out there (we just haven’t been able to get them to Bloomington). Hopefully, Bostad helps us get them to play for us.
How often do you think Bostad is whispering in Fiacble's ear "Tippman hustled more than you!"?

How often do you think Bostad is whispering in Fiacble's ear "Tippman hustled more than you!"?
Hahaha, no doubt.

Speaking of Tippman......the best lineman on the field in his last game for Dwenger wasn't anyone who played college football. It was the DE for Ev. Central, he was just on another level. But college was not going to be his thing. Crazy story about that season for EC that made it's way into the Indy Star.

EDIT: the 4A championship game wasn't on the IHSAA Youtube page was, but the semistate was. 88 was a good ballplayer.

Last edited:
Hahaha, no doubt.

Speaking of Tippman......the best lineman on the field in his last game for Dwenger wasn't anyone who played college football. It was the DE for Ev. Central, he was just on another level. But college was not going to be his thing. Crazy story about that season for EC that made it's way into the Indy Star.

EDIT: the 4A championship game wasn't on the IHSAA Youtube page was, but the semistate was. 88 was a good ballplayer.
Thanks for that . . . makes you wonder what IU's coaches are doing with recruiting . . . why aren't those kids - the DE and WR - aren't at IU? Two risks . . . but fighters.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Would think he’s able to draw on his experience coaching JT as a motivator for VF. Can’t be a bad thing for Those guys to know each other, and I’m sure Tippmann has reached out to Fiacable.

Reactions: red hornet
I was also at both those games. Thrilling victories. The Oregon game was sealed in the last minute by an interception in the end zone by Kyle Killion. It was right in front of where we were seated.
You are correct!!! Jones had an interception on the next-to-last drive, but it was KK with the kill shot. I sat next to FB (at that time) John Panozzo's dad and K Brian Robertson's parents. He made a few field goals and they were nervous wrecks. Side note, never let your kid be a placekicker. I had Lance Bennett's player guest tickets, and he ran a kickoff back for a touchdown that day. It was literally a perfect storm for Indiana. I was outside of the stadium, by the bus, soaking it all in, and I'll never forget Coach DiNardo walking out to the bus, stopping, and saying, "We got what we wanted boys. Let's go home." It was AWESOME.

Then I sat at Commonwealth the following Saturday as they dropped half-a-hundred on us with the most putrid offense they've had this century. The only comparison on the high-low scale was losing at Bowling Green the week before we won at future SEC East champ Missouri. The Missouri win felt like the Oregon win in that it was so unexpected that all I could do was giggle to myself and try not to get noticed/killed by the angry locals.

You are correct!!! Jones had an interception on the next-to-last drive, but it was KK with the kill shot. I sat next to FB (at that time) John Panozzo's dad and K Brian Robertson's parents. He made a few field goals and they were nervous wrecks. Side note, never let your kid be a placekicker. I had Lance Bennett's player guest tickets, and he ran a kickoff back for a touchdown that day. It was literally a perfect storm for Indiana. I was outside of the stadium, by the bus, soaking it all in, and I'll never forget Coach DiNardo walking out to the bus, stopping, and saying, "We got what we wanted boys. Let's go home." It was AWESOME.

Then I sat at Commonwealth the following Saturday as they dropped half-a-hundred on us with the most putrid offense they've had this century. The only comparison on the high-low scale was losing at Bowling Green the week before we won at future SEC East champ Missouri. The Missouri win felt like the Oregon win in that it was so unexpected that all I could do was giggle to myself and try not to get noticed/killed by the angry locals.
Only went to one game at Commonwealth. Ding. The things I remember about that place were not tailgating allowed up close and the ring of wannabes wearing blue blazers allowed to stand around the field level.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thanks for that . . . makes you wonder what IU's coaches are doing with recruiting . . . why aren't those kids - the DE and WR - aren't at IU? Two risks . . . but fighters.
We tried to get Tippmann but he was locked onto Wisconsin early and we really didn’t have much of a shot. Obviously, O line recruiting hasn’t been a strength over the last several years, as there have been several good ones in Indiana who went elsewhere. Hopefully that changes.

Last edited:
We tried to get Tippmann but he was locked onto Wisconsin early and we really didn’t have much of a shot. Obviously, O line recruiting hasn’t been a strength over the last several years, as there have been several good ones in Indiana who went elsewhere. Hopefully that changes.
To that regard, Indiana's OL performance this year & Coach Bob Bostad reputation will be pivotal with allowing Indiana FB to upgrade their OL recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT