ADVERTISEMENT

Very good hire

wawasee

All-Big Ten
Oct 16, 2001
Morning boys! I think yesterday was a good day for IU football. Once you consider our past this was a very good hire. I'll be interested to see who the assistants are. And what the team looks like. In this portal era. So I'll drink a beer or two tonight. And be glad we hired a new coach. With lot's of head coaching experience. Cheers!

Early on I was hoping for Herman. After looking at CCC’s resume I’m on board with him, actually excited to have him. With the increased NIL $ and the appearance of an investment in FB by the AD our future looks bright for the 1st time in awhile.

He's never had a losing season in 13 years as a head coach. IU football has had relatively few winning seasons in its 136 year history. Something's got to give.

No question the man can coach. Unfortunately we don't get to see him coaching an IU team for nine months. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with respect to holding onto some of our guys who have entered the portal, along with the talent he's able to bring in through the portal.

I hope that this time next year we'll be able to say Cignetti has never had a losing season in 14 years as a head coach. He's got his work cut out for him.

Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
Coach Cignetti is very good hire but more importantly this process from raising the money to make a change at HC to the hiring process shows IU is more serious about football and the NIL shows fans see it too.

Coach Cignetti is very good hire but more importantly this process from raising the money to make a change at HC to the hiring process shows IU is more serious about football and the NIL shows fans see it too.
Football success is going to be the ONLY way a school is going to stay in the B1G. It is going to be the benchmark used.

I am not excited about the Cignetti hire, which is exciting. He’s earned this opportunity by raising up the ranks over decades. It’s a practical hire that takes no imagination to be satisfied with.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Football success is going to be the ONLY way a school is going to stay in the B1G. It is going to be the benchmark used.
So you think they’re going to start kicking schools out of the Big Ten? Lol.

I will grant you that the likelihood of there being a break away from some of the larger football schools as possible. But that would mean Ohio State and Michigan leaving the Big Ten to join some other affiliation, not kicking us out. And yes, that would mean the big 10 isn’t what it is right now, both in terms of prestige and resources, but they’re not kicking us out of the big ten.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I will grant you that the likelihood of there being a break away from some of the larger football schools as possible. But that would mean Ohio State and Michigan leaving the Big Ten to join some other affiliation, not kicking us out. And yes, that would mean the big 10 isn’t what it is right now, both in terms of prestige and resources, but they’re not kicking us out of the big ten.

5 or 10 years ago none of us thought UCLA , USC, WU, and UO would be part of the B1G but here we are. And I do not think that a 18 or 20 team B1G is sustainable. NIL is not sustainable in its present form. IMHO.

I don’t think we get kicked out. I do worry about maintaining a full share of media payments if your FB program is merely a speed bump. We’ve largely been a free rider in the sport that drives the lions share of media dollars.
I think this is a fair concern. But frankly, I don’t think Indiana would be viewed much differently than most of the rest of the Big Ten. Minnesota. Michigan State. Illinois. I think we would all fall into the same category of not being one of the top revenue Producing schools from football. I think that category is mainly going to be Michigan, Ohio, State, Penn, State, and possibly USC. I think everyone else will pretty much fall into the same bucket.

I think this is a fair concern. But frankly, I don’t think Indiana would be viewed much differently than most of the rest of the Big Ten. Minnesota. Michigan State. Illinois. I think we would all fall into the same category of not being one of the top revenue Producing schools from football. I think that category is mainly going to be Michigan, Ohio, State, Penn, State, and possibly USC. I think everyone else will pretty much fall into the same bucket.
I think the faster the super conference is created that takes the teams like those 4 the better. Some of these players (Marvin Harrison for example) are going to be paid better than they would in the NFL.

Completely new environment. The grandfathered in stuff no longer holds water. They may not kick us out, true. But, they can turn the screws down on IU to the point it makes things uncomfortable for the university and gives them a reason to contemplate our own future. Wait until the revenue sharing comes into play. Our fanbase will be livid.

I am not excited about the Cignetti hire, which is exciting. He’s earned this opportunity by raising up the ranks over decades. It’s a practical hire that takes no imagination to be satisfied with.
I’m trying to figure out if you believe he is a good hire for us but you don’t like it, or you just have a typo at the beginning.

I don’t think we get kicked out. I do worry about maintaining a full share of media payments if your FB program is merely a speed bump. We’ve largely been a free rider in the sport that drives the lions share of media dollars.
I dont know about that. We may suck but people did tune in to watch. We also beat out multiple big 10 teams in viewership

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT