ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt is 11-19...

IUgradman

All-American
Mar 31, 2009
...loses its three best players, and has Bryce Drew as its head coach. A couple of freshmen, one of whom has a bum knee, won’t fix that mess.

...loses its three best players, and has Bryce Drew as its head coach. A couple of freshmen, one of whom has a bum knee, won’t fix that mess.
Well if you look at it from their angle Shittu should be ready to go by Sep-Oct (just like Duron), plus they have 2 transfers that are pretty good. I don't think the frosh coming in or the transfers give a rat's about this years record, just like IU's new guys don't care. I read something interesting that D. Bailey said to Romeo. To paraphrase- If you are planning to come back to Indiana after your career is over, going to IU can really be beneficial to you.

Drew is an awful head coach and his team way underachieved this season. As we saw with Crean, you can have great talent but if the coach sucks it doesn’t matter. I don’t see why an out of state blue chip recruit would ever go to effing Vanderbilt when they have much better programs pursuing them.

Vandy looked pretty well beat down in the loss to Mizzou tonight...in front of 8,800 passive fans watching on senior night.

The Seymour sectional will fill with 8,100 for games this week and a New Albany - Floyd Central or Jeffersonville matchup could probably fill Assembly Hall. Too bad Seymour doesn't still add temporary additional bleachers to allow 10,000.

What I like is that at one time Shittu said Arizona was his favorite after one home visit by Sean and without ever setting foot on campus.

He's got more red flags than any recruit out there and he chose.... Vanderbilt.

Drew is going to lose over 20 games this year but can sure bring in the highest rated class by far in the history of the program just two years into his tenure.

Yeah right.

What I like is that at one time Shittu said Arizona was his favorite after one home visit by Sean and without ever setting foot on campus.

He's got more red flags than any recruit out there and he chose.... Vanderbilt.

Drew is going to lose over 20 games this year but can sure bring in the highest rated class by far in the history of the program just two years into his tenure.

Yeah right.
I wouldnt be shocked if by october shittu is inelgible. Plenty of time for more info to come out and im sure arizona at least attempted to pay shittu.

IU went 16-14 and missing the tourney. 2 of his final 3 were pretty awful this year. I think it’s obvious that’s not a priority to him.

Well if you look at it from their angle Shittu should be ready to go by Sep-Oct (just like Duron), plus they have 2 transfers that are pretty good. I don't think the frosh coming in or the transfers give a rat's about this years record, just like IU's new guys don't care. I read something interesting that D. Bailey said to Romeo. To paraphrase- If you are planning to come back to Indiana after your career is over, going to IU can really be beneficial to you.
Oh no! Damon will be seen as a booster and IU is gonna get hammered by the NCAA. j/k

Vandy looked pretty well beat down in the loss to Mizzou tonight...in front of 8,800 passive fans watching on senior night.

The Seymour sectional will fill with 8,100 for games this week and a New Albany - Floyd Central or Jeffersonville matchup could probably fill Assembly Hall. Too bad Seymour doesn't still add temporary additional bleachers to allow 10,000.
I saw part of the game and there was no way there were 8,000 in attendance.

Archie isn’t going 11-19 in his second season. Drew has had time to put his stamp on the program and we have seen the results. It speaks to his coaching ability.
Drew is a terrible coach who needs three five stars to make him look somewhat competent. He i desperate.

Reactions: IUgradman
IU went 16-14 and missing the tourney. 2 of his final 3 were pretty awful this year. I think it’s obvious that’s not a priority to him.

Can I at least get you to admit that you are somewhat surprised at how bad Vanderbilt and Drew have been this year? Sorry, I couldn't resist needling you some.

Archie isn’t going 11-19 in his second season. Drew has had time to put his stamp on the program and we have seen the results. It speaks to his coaching ability.
I agree but what’s really the difference in 11-19 vs 16-14? My point is neither team was very good but it doesn’t seem to matter to Romeo. I think we land him in the end.

Can I at least get you to admit that you are somewhat surprised at how bad Vanderbilt and Drew have been this year? Sorry, I couldn't resist needling you some.
Absolutely. I didn’t think they’d be this bad. But I’ll admkt I don’t follow Vandy one bit. And at the end of the day I don’t think Romeo cares one but about this year. All he cares about is his one college basketball season

Reactions: snarlcakes
I agree but what’s really the difference in 11-19 vs 16-14? My point is neither team was very good but it doesn’t seem to matter to Romeo. I think we land him in the end.
Look at the conference records. They played all cupcakes in the preseason and we didnt.

Well, I know for sure which record I would prefer to own if I was a Division One BB coach.....

McHoop

Reactions: 76-1
Drew is an awful head coach and his team way underachieved this season. As we saw with Crean, you can have great talent but if the coach sucks it doesn’t matter. I don’t see why an out of state blue chip recruit would ever go to effing Vanderbilt when they have much better programs pursuing them.
Drew did a pretty darn good job at VU

Look at the conference records. They played all cupcakes in the preseason and we didnt.

According to KenPom, Vandy played the 46th toughest non-conference schedule, while IIU played the 250th or so toughest. Also, Kenpom says that Vandy played the 3rd toughest schedule overall.

Reactions: Dore5674
According to KenPom, Vandy played the 46th toughest non-conference schedule, while IIU played the 250th or so toughest. Also, Kenpom says that Vandy played the 3rd toughest schedule overall.

That justifies going 11-19? It’s not IU’s fault the Big Ten was weak.

Drew showed zero improvement and regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Reactions: IUgradman
That justifies going 11-19? It’s not IU’s fault the Big Ten was weak.

I wasn't commenting on Vandy's record. The one poster said Vandy played all cupcakes in the pre-conference and we didn't. That is the opposite of true according to KenPom's numbers. I'm not sure that KenPom is always the gospel though, but his stuff is pretty good.

If you just look at games vs teams in the current CBS Bracketology, Vandy was a miserable 3-15. IU was 0-10 though, so maybe the 8 extra games vs NCAA Tournament quality teams uglies up Vandy's record a bit.

For the record, I think Archie is far superior, but they are both young coaches... so who knows for sure?

*Edit* I missed one. Vandy beat UNC-Ashville to move to 4-15. If we count the low-majors, there's a possibility that Vandy might end with 20 or 21 Tournament teams on their schedule.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT