ADVERTISEMENT

The guy we gotta get is

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
Kadin Shedrick from Virginia. Watched videos on FanNation of some of the transfer prospects we are talking to, and he really stands out!

6-11 forward/center from Virginia, has two years of eligibility left. Dynamite around the basket, great shot blocker/defender, great hands. Type of player we used to see regularly at IU. Just really impressed with his play, his hustle, and we could sure use his height.

Imagine a front line of Shedrick, Reneau and Sparks on the court, with a couple of guards that could not only shoot, but get the ball inside. Dream team for me.

Screw the one big man and four smalls. Lets go back to power ball for a change and dominate the league!

Kadin Shedrick from Virginia. Watched videos on FanNation of some of the transfer prospects we are talking to, and he really stands out!

6-11 forward/center from Virginia, has two years of eligibility left. Dynamite around the basket, great shot blocker/defender, great hands. Type of player we used to see regularly at IU. Just really impressed with his play, his hustle, and we could sure use his height.

Imagine a front line of Shedrick, Reneau and Sparks on the court, with a couple of guards that could not only shoot, but get the ball inside. Dream team for me.

Screw the one big man and four smalls. Lets go back to power ball for a change and dominate the league!
Ughhh..yes to shedrick but no to all three on the court together. Not one team has a front line on the court like that for good reason. You saw what dominating a league with bigs does…nothing. You get killed by small ball as a 1 seed.

100% agree. Plus, I am dreaming about a Caleb Love addition. Both would be upgrades. Just need an athletic wing and we’d be in business

Reactions: RRgo
Would love to see an innovative coach recruit all bigs one of these days and see how that works! Start 5 7footers and play a 3-2D! See how small ball works against that!

It worked for Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore.
Hell, Magic Johnson was a 6' 9" point guard. The tallest guy on Michigan State's team that won the National Title versus Indiana State and Larry Bird.

His numbers are kinda shocking. I’m all for adding him but something seems off with his production

Reactions: IUgradman
His numbers are kinda shocking. I’m all for adding him but something seems off with his production
Bennett inexplicably just stopped playing him in Mid-January. He was regularly scoring double-digits in the non-conference and start of conference season. Best games of the season were against Baylor (17 points) and Houston (16 points) and he started the first 15 games and was then replaced in the starting lineup. And not only replaced, but he only played 15+ minutes one time from that point until the end of the regular season. He was finally reinserted into the starting lineup for their NCAAT game after Ben Vander Plas got hurt and he had 15 and 13. Bennett went ultimate small ball in the ACC playing two 6'7 guys in the front court. Both Shedrick and Issac Traudt (top 50 freshman) entered the portal. UVa fans not happy at all.

I would love for IU to get Shedrick, to be sure...and I want him to choose IU, don't get me wrong.

But the second he would choose IU, a fear then comes to the forefront for me. How is Woody going to play our 3 bigs? They're all really good. They all can be successful in the B10, I'm sure. But we've seen 2 years of playing 2 predominately post oriented bigs...and the results were mixed, at best. And that was with one of the best, and most dominant, bigs we've ever had at IU...playing alongside a 5th and 6th year, solid 4star level big.

So...if Shedrick comes to IU, and anchors the 5 spot for the next couple years. Can Reneau play on the perimeter? Can he guard on the perimeter? If not, how good of a cast can Woody assemble for the 1-3 spots to make up for it?

I love IU, I'll be tuning in no matter what...but it'd be pretty demoralizing to know we were headed for more of the same, style wise, without TJD.

Reactions: HillyardGates
Remember he played at Virginia, a very good team but not an offensive oriented team.
Shedrick by far and away was Virginia's most efficient offensive player and statistically was their most efficient defensive player. Befuddling that Tony Bennett just stopped playing him the way he did.
He’s the type IU needs. He can play in the B1G and the NCAA tournament.

I would love for IU to get Shedrick, to be sure...and I want him to choose IU, don't get me wrong.

But the second he would choose IU, a fear then comes to the forefront for me. How is Woody going to play our 3 bigs? They're all really good. They all can be successful in the B10, I'm sure. But we've seen 2 years of playing 2 predominately post oriented bigs...and the results were mixed, at best. And that was with one of the best, and most dominant, bigs we've ever had at IU...playing alongside a 5th and 6th year, solid 4star level big.

So...if Shedrick comes to IU, and anchors the 5 spot for the next couple years. Can Reneau play on the perimeter? Can he guard on the perimeter? If not, how good of a cast can Woody assemble for the 1-3 spots to make up for it?

I love IU, I'll be tuning in no matter what...but it'd be pretty demoralizing to know we were headed for more of the same, style wise, without TJD.
I watched Assembly Call on Sparks coming and the portal news. They were pretty unanimous that we still needed Shedrick (at least 2 of the 3 ranked him as the top portal priority, even after we got Sparks) as a rim protector. Not sure they came right out and said it, but I felt the implication was that Sparks just really wanted to be at IU and would accept coming off the bench. I get being worried about PT and future transfers, but it still doesn't negate the need for depth and filling out a roster. Three post players is only sufficient depth if you're playing 1 in 4 out. So, regardless, we need another post player so if you can get the 1 you most want; get him! Those 3 sound like at least a solid base for a frontcourt for next year, but we better get on the hump with post players. I know we tried with a couple kids, but a freshmen recruit in this years class would have been nice for development and continuity.

Last edited:
Bennett inexplicably just stopped playing him in Mid-January. He was regularly scoring double-digits in the non-conference and start of conference season. Best games of the season were against Baylor (17 points) and Houston (16 points) and he started the first 15 games and was then replaced in the starting lineup. And not only replaced, but he only played 15+ minutes one time from that point until the end of the regular season. He was finally reinserted into the starting lineup for their NCAAT game after Ben Vander Plas got hurt and he had 15 and 13. Bennett went ultimate small ball in the ACC playing two 6'7 guys in the front court. Both Shedrick and Issac Traudt (top 50 freshman) entered the portal. UVa fans not happy at all.
Wonder what the story was there? I noticed when he got playing time he produced but playing time was not consistent all year

Shedrick by far and away was Virginia's most efficient offensive player and statistically was their most efficient defensive player. Befuddling that Tony Bennett just stopped playing him the way he did.
Exactly why I’m curious what the story is here. Lazy in practice? Trouble off the court? Something had to happen

Agree on getting Kadin, but I’m not for playing 3 bigs. Coached told Sparks he’ll be a sub off the bench, from what I’ve heard. Shedrick, though, is a good rim protector/defender and can legitimately shoot from the outside - even 3 pointers.

Exactly why I’m curious what the story is here. Lazy in practice? Trouble off the court? Something had to happen
Ben Vander Plas was inserted into the starting lineup. He was a much more versatile player although smaller and could play out to the 3 point line. I don't think there's any indication Shedrick did anything wrong to warrant his demotion, just Bennett wanted to run a different style and needed a personnel change. It's not like they benched Shedrick in favor of the other 7 footer UVa had on the roster.

Bennett isn't particularly known for developing offensive bigs and featuring them on that end of the floor. Most of his bigs are strong defensive-minded and screen-setters.

I watched Assembly Call on Sparks coming and the portal news. Not sure they came out and said it, but they were pretty unanimous that we still needed Shedrick (at least 2 of the 3 ranked him as the top portal priority, even after we got Sparks) as a rim protector. Not sure they came right out and said it, but I felt the implication was that Sparks just really wanted to be at IU and would accept coming off the bench. I get being worried about PT and future transfers, but it still doesn't negate the need for depth and filling out a roster. Three post players is only sufficient depth if you're playing 1 in 4 out. So, regardless, we need another post player so if you can get the 1 you most want; get him! Those 3 sound like at least a solid base for a frontcourt for next year, but we better get on the hump with post players. I know we tried with a couple kids, but a freshmen recruit in this years class would have been nice for development and continuity.
I've said, many times, that landing a long, athletic, defensive oriented big was a huge need. And I still think that. So maybe I'm just now coming to the realization of what that would actually mean?? Shedrick will play a lot if he comes here. He's good enough to, and we'll need someone that can do what he can do. Reneau is going to play a lot too though. And so will Sparks, I'm sure.

So that leads me back in to the worries of the last couple years. Maybe because none of those guys are TJD, Woody will open everything up and play a more modern style? And maybe we'll get more guys in the portal to better play that way? And until the roster is complete, there's no way to know. Heck, even when it is complete, there's no way to know what style Woody is going to play next year. Its just a worry and concern at this point.

A further concern...it appeared that Bennett, who I think is of sound mind and body as a high major coach...he tried to change their style a little mid year, and play more of a perimeter/open style. For whatever reason, and maybe it isn't related to that change, but it sure seems so...for whatever reason, he didn't think Shedrick fit that style. Not apples to apples, obviously. But another concern.

I don't see Malik sitting the bench much (unless he's in foul trouble). And with he and Shedrick, I don't see a realistic path for that to be a modern 4 around 1...and I see struggles guarding modern 4 around 1 teams defensively.

MR is a better 4 than Race. That in itself demands more focus from opposing D. With a more active 3 than MK a 2nd year Banks(?) can make hay, rain or shine. I believe both Banks and MR reach the taller heights I envision. If a shooting guard develops or is attained it could be off to the races.

MR is a better 4 than Race. That in itself demands more focus from opposing D. With a more active 3 than MK a 2nd year Banks(?) can make hay, rain or shine. I believe both Banks and MR reach the taller heights I envision. If a shooting guard develops or is attained it could be off to the races.

In a perfect world, MR would have played 25+ mpg and Race would have spelled him from the bench.

I can only imagine how abysmal Races stats are in the last 25 or so Big Ten games he played.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
In a perfect world, MR would have played 25+ mpg and Race would have spelled him from the bench.

I can only imagine how abysmal Races stats are in the last 25 or so Big Ten games he played.
I was on board with Race being a main cog when he returned from what we all feared was a season-ending injury (when that little jackass from Iowa intentionally dove into his knees). He deserved every opportunity after being a good soldier for 6 years. But I’m glad it’s over.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

Are you drunk? You want to play 3 bigs - none of whom can shoot except for Malik a litle - on the floor at the same time?

Reactions: GR8IUFAN

Then why was he benched and replaced by an undersized 6'8 transfer?

And your lineup only makes me imagine losing every game.

Then why was he benched and replaced by an undersized 6'8 transfer?

And your lineup only makes me imagine losing every game.
How’d that work out for Bennett and Virginia? Frankly, I don’t think UVA was the right fit for him.

He obviously has ability and talent and from what I hear the IU coaches are making him a very high priority.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT