ADVERTISEMENT

USS Archie in trouble.

victorbear

All-Big Ten
Sep 28, 2005
No Cody Zeller, Yogi Ferrell coming in year 4 to save this ship. Fred Glass cleared the deck long ago.
Crean was 27-9, 11-7 and made sweet sixteen in year 4 if anyone thinks Archie is gonna make it to that level next year ya crazy.

Crean had put a nice team together and had a top 15 recruit coming in. We whiffed on out last two top 30 revruits and recruiting seems flat. I'm not optimistic but all I can hope is this iu team proves me wrong.
I am no crean fan at all but zeller saved him. Garcia may have been archies zeller We shall see.

Crean had put a nice team together and had a top 15 recruit coming in. We whiffed on out last two top 30 revruits and recruiting seems flat. I'm not optimistic but all I can hope is this iu team proves me wrong.
I am no crean fan at all but zeller saved him. Garcia may have been archies zeller We shall see.
Aside from Coach K and maybe Beilen to some extent years 3 and 4 are clearly where coaches show major strides, even Tony Bennett made tourney in his 3rd year at UVA. If Arch had multiple 5 stars coming in next year things change, but it looks like he has good 4 year players coming in.

No Cody Zeller, Yogi Ferrell coming in year 4 to save this ship. Fred Glass cleared the deck long ago.
Crean was 27-9, 11-7 and made sweet sixteen in year 4 if anyone thinks Archie is gonna make it to that level next year ya crazy.
I know I'm going to be torn to shreds for this belief, but I'm sticking with my stance on Archie and the Indiana basketball program as a whole in the current college basketball landscape. I firmly believe there are only two ways to win consistently in the sport:

1. Recruit one-and-done players who will be NBA lottery picks. Duke, Kentucky, etc. are current examples of that model.

2. Avoid one-and-done players, and build a roster filled with players who will likely be with the program for three to four years. This is what I call getting old and staying old.

As Indiana's roster is currently constructed, Archie has the following players who are truly his recruits:

- Rob Phinisee, PG (sophomore)
- Damezi Anderson, SF (sophomore)
- Race Thompson, PF (redshirt sophomore)
- Jerome Hunter, SF (redshirt freshman)
- Trayce Jackson-Davis, PF (freshman)
- Armaan Franklin, SG (freshman)
- Joey Brunk, PF (redshirt junior - transfer)

Concisely, that's a very young group that is still growing and improving. Assuming Jackson-Davis doesn't enter the NBA draft, that entire group of players will return next season, and will add Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal and Jordan Geronimo. I'd expect to see some incremental growth out of the group in 2020-21.

Other proven head coaches have endured this same struggle:

Jay Wright (Villanova)
Year 1: 19-13 ... NIT Quarterfinal
Year 2: 15-16 ... NIT First Round
Year 3: 18-17 ... NIT Quarterfinal

Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)
Year 1: 17-13 ... NIT Quarterfinal
Year 2: 10-17 ... no post-season
Year 3: 11-17 ... no post-season

John Beilein (Michigan ... currently Cavs head coach)
Year 1: 10-22 ... no post-season
Year 2: 21-14 ... NCAA Division 1 Round of 32
Year 3: 15-17 ... no post-season

In no way am I excusing losses or making excuses for poor performances. No one hates losing as much as I do, especially as a lifelong Hoosier and proud IU alum. However, the process does take time, and I'm willing to see it through.

We are heavily dependent on current roster making individual improvements, as opposed to hoping for immediate savior recruits. We need Durham to be better, we need Phinisee to be better, we need all of them to be better. What concerns me the most is when you look at our guys, particularly offensively, none of them save TJD are dynamic. Justin Smith struggles to convert right at the basket. Race Thompson really has no game offensively, and none of our current roster guards are knock down shooters. And the lack of a shooter is what really ails this team IMO. Look at what Joe does for Arkansas. We have to hope Durham, Phinisee, Franklin and Damezi all need to continue to develop as shooters. Without a legit perimeter threat, our offense will continue to look like it’s plodding in mud.

Just my opinion

We are heavily dependent on current roster making individual improvements, as opposed to hoping for immediate savior recruits. We need Durham to be better, we need Phinisee to be better, we need all of them to be better. What concerns me the most is when you look at our guys, particularly offensively, none of them save TJD are dynamic. Justin Smith struggles to convert right at the basket. Race Thompson really has no game offensively, and none of our current roster guards are knock down shooters. And the lack of a shooter is what really ails this team IMO. Look at what Joe does for Arkansas. We have to hope Durham, Phinisee, Franklin and Damezi all need to continue to develop as shooters. Without a legit perimeter threat, our offense will continue to look like it’s plodding in mud.

Just my opinion
I think Hunter will make a strong contribution once he gets himself back into basketball shape and shakes off the rust. I watched him in high school and he can score from anywhere on the floor.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Just my opinion
Which of Archie coached players has shown individual improvement?

Many would point to Juwan Morgan, which is somewhat true, but also a result of a major switch in his role and dependence.

Outside of that...who is better at an individual skill than they were on Day1 Hoosier?

I think Hunter will make a strong contribution once he gets himself back into basketball shape and shakes off the rust. I watched him in high school and he can score from anywhere on the floor.
I like Hunter’s game and potential. He is not a savior but his upside/ceiling is only second to TJD in my opinion. Perhaps RP when healthy. I would definitely play him in front of Damezi who seems to be the first sub for Smith.

I know I'm going to be torn to shreds for this belief, but I'm sticking with my stance on Archie and the Indiana basketball program as a whole in the current college basketball landscape. I firmly believe there are only two ways to win consistently in the sport:

1. Recruit one-and-done players who will be NBA lottery picks. Duke, Kentucky, etc. are current examples of that model.

2. Avoid one-and-done players, and build a roster filled with players who will likely be with the program for three to four years. This is what I call getting old and staying old.

As Indiana's roster is currently constructed, Archie has the following players who are truly his recruits:

Concisely, that's a very young group that is still growing and improving. Assuming Jackson-Davis doesn't enter the NBA draft, that entire group of players will return next season, and will add Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal and Jordan Geronimo. I'd expect to see some incremental growth out of the group in 2020-21.

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)

In no way am I excusing losses or making excuses for poor performances. No one hates losing as much as I do, especially as a lifelong Hoosier and proud IU alum. However, the process does take time, and I'm willing to see it through.

I would add that A team of one and dones and a team of seniors has the same issue, replacing those kids. In other words, you advocate for having a team of Seniors and “staying old” but our own recruiting is betraying that effort. For all intensive purposes , Romeo was a senior last year. We brought in Fitzner to be another Senior. TJD is likely a 2 year player at best. For every young question mark (like a Hunter), we lose another big minute player.

if we are going to discount the first few years because it takes time to have a veteran team, at some point we have to stop getting younger.

It took more than Zeller to have the team he had in his first two breakout years. Watford, Oladipo and Yogi were also huge. When I look back on that 2012-13 team I still find it hard to believe they only made it to the Sweet 16. That was one of the most talented IU teams of the past 20 years at the time.

Reactions: hoosier8760

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)

I think Chris Beard at Texas Tech would disagree with you, but I get what you are saying.

Which of Archie coached players has shown individual improvement?

Many would point to Juwan Morgan, which is somewhat true, but also a result of a major switch in his role and dependence.

Outside of that...who is better at an individual skill than they were on Day1 Hoosier?
Yes, I know he's had injuries, but if I'm correct Race Thompson is in his 3rd year at IU you would think he would have a good grasp of at least the philosophy Archie is trying to teach.
Race year 1 sat out due to reclassifying
Race year 2 sat out due to concussion
Now in year 3.

Reactions: Cavanagh

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)

I agree with your thought process. The issue is this isn't a young team. Over half of the roster is upperclassmen. Also,TJD, is a freshmen, but he is our best player and playing like an upperclassmen (aka a one and done). It's impossible to stay old if you have too many upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis
It took more than Zeller to have the team he had in his first two breakout years. Watford, Oladipo and Yogi were also huge. When I look back on that 2012-13 team I still find it hard to believe they only made it to the Sweet 16. That was one of the most talented IU teams of the past 20 years at the time.

Well, Syracuse fooled IU's coaching staff by unexpectedly playing a 2-3 zone defense.

I really hope some of these guys transfer and it forces Archie to have to go get grad transfers andn Juco transfers which he should have been doing all along. We have 0 perimeter shooting. Only a moron would take the Indiana job and not make shooting a priority. That’s one thing Mack has done at Louisville. Get Grad Transfers and Juco guys. Archie has dug his own grave with his mediocre recruiting and I really don’t feel sorry for him.

Well, Syracuse fooled IU's coaching staff by unexpectedly playing a 2-3 zone defense.

These are the kinds of coaches that Indiana hires. Complete clowns. I don’t know how Tom Crean has lasted this long as a Head Coach?

I really hope some of these guys transfer and it forces Archie to have to go get grad transfers andn Juco transfers which he should have been doing all along. We have 0 perimeter shooting. Only a moron would take the Indiana job and not make shooting a priority. That’s one thing Mack has done at Louisville. Get Grad Transfers and Juco guys. Archie has dug his own grave with his mediocre recruiting and I really don’t feel sorry for him.
This was discussed last year and I know I will get pummeled for saying this, but in my opinion Archie's biggest mistake was offering scholly's to Durham, Moore and Justin Smith, maybe Glass told him he had to this with the APR, but whatever it's biting him in the ass now. Also why does Devonte Green still throw one handed bounce passes and not get benched for good, maddening.

I agree with your thought process. The issue is this isn't a young team. Over half of the roster is upperclassmen. Also,TJD is a freshmen, but he is our best player and playing like an upperclassmen (aka a one and done). It's impossible to stay old if you have too many upperclassmen.
Right, Archie saying the team needed to "mature" was very Creanisque, Arch you're starting upperclassman aside from TJD, Devonte is a senior he ain't gonna mature anymore, crazy.

That is kind of assuming that he is capable of getting back to that type of player. Until shown otherwise, I am counting on nothing from Hunter. I hope he turns back into the player he was before his issue popped up, but I am not going to count on it.

That is kind of assuming that he is capable of getting back to that type of player. Until shown otherwise, I am counting on nothing from Hunter. I hope he turns back into the player he was before his issue popped up, but I am not going to count on it.
We have optimists and pessimists on this board. I'm an optimist and I think for good reasons. I know the pessimists think they have good reasons to be pessimists also. It's interesting.

I just don't see a good reason that Hunter can't develop into the player he was before his season long physical problem. And to be better than that over the rest of his career. He mostly needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: Sassy61
We have optimists and pessimists on this board. I'm an optimist and I think for good reasons. I know the pessimists think they have good reasons to be pessimists also. It's interesting.

I just don't see a good reason that Hunter can't develop into the player he was before his season long physical problem. And to be better than that over the rest of his career. He mostly needs to stay healthy.
I wish everyone could just agree to some standard with regards to coaches, how long do you wait? Some here seem to have the opinion "however long it takes" I don't agree with that, based on historically perspective of other successful coaches it appears that if there is no NCAA tourney by year 4 it's time to move on...………..

I wish everyone could just agree to some standard with regards to coaches, how long do you wait? Some here seem to have the opinion "however long it takes" I don't agree with that, based on historically perspective of other successful coaches it appears that if there is no NCAA tourney by year 4 it's time to move on...………..
We wait more than a little over two years. I'm one of those that watched Archie at UD very closely and I'm convinced that he's a very good coach. I haven't changed my mind. A bad season this year and next and I'll change my mind about him being the right coach for IU. Next year is probably his last year if it's bad. I don't think it will be but it could be. He's not going to be fired this year regardless. I think the team will win 20 games and be in the NCAA tournament this year. I think next year the team will be better. That will buy him more years and only piss off the anti-IU posters here. I don't count the pessimistic IU fan posters as anti-IU posters. I just think being a pessimist all the time must be hard on those people. :D

We wait more than a little over two years. I'm one of those that watched Archie at UD very closely and I'm convinced that he's a very good coach. I haven't changed my mind. A bad season this year and next and I'll change my mind about him being the right coach for IU. Next year is probably his last year if it's bad. I don't think it will be but it could be. He's not going to be fired this year regardless. I think the team will win 20 games and be in the NCAA tournament this year. I think next year the team will be better. That will buy him more years and only piss off the anti-IU posters here. I don't count the pessimistic IU fan posters as anti-IU posters. I just think being a pessimist all the time must be hard on those people. :D

Making the tournament this year will quell the complaining and provide some much-needed momentum.

Reactions: MrBing and cryano

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Mike Krzyzewski (Duke)

The same examples of coaches are always thrown out. So I guess next year will be big. That's what I keep hearing from the Archie gang.

I will become an optimistic once I see consistent signs this thing is moving in the right direction. That means we are on track to make ncaa tournaments and finish above .500 in the big ten. I see none of that yet in 2.5 years.

The last sentence is why I am not expecting anything. We still are not 100% sure what the issue was and he has looked really rusty this year...and his former skill set is what we are currently sorely lacking so you have to believe he is nowhere near ready. We have 4 guys on the roster who have taken up a bunch of scholarship space but have barely been able to contribute because of injury and development delay. Race, Rob, Jerome, and Deron have all had significant parts of their careers hampered by injury.

When it comes to IU basketball, I unfortunately have about 20 years worth of reasons to be pessimistic.

You are saying we are going to win 9 big ten games from here on out; Id b interested in knowing what games you think these 9 will be.

So why is Archie struggling at IU. I personally don’t think Archie did anything extraordinary at Dayton, I mean Dayton is ranked this year so maybe it’s just the program and not the coach. I’m curious why you thought he was a great coach at Dayton????? He was probably a better coach then the other 80% of coaches in Atlantic 10, but in Big Ten they are all good coaches.

So why is Archie struggling at IU. I personally don’t think Archie did anything extraordinary at Dayton, I mean Dayton is ranked this year so maybe it’s just the program and not the coach. I’m curious why you thought he was a great coach at Dayton????? He was probably a better coach then the other 80% of coaches in Atlantic 10, but in Big Ten they are all good coaches.
Dayton is doing well 2 years after archie left and Indiana is struggling 2 years after crean left. I wonder how that could possibly happen?

You're FOS, again. Louisville under Mack has one grad transfer, and one juco. He's had one more GT than Miller has. 3 to 2. I'm sure that and not Nwora and Enoch, is the difference. *eyeroll*

Name the last juco player of significance? This isn't the late 80;s. Then look into the success rates of grad transfers. They are not as successful as you believe.

Also, quit making shit up, it's bad enough you're stupid, but being stupid and a liar is beyond unacceptable.

Dayton is doing well 2 years after archie left and Indiana is struggling 2 years after crean left. I wonder how that could possibly happen?
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Almost like saying Mike Davis was a far better coach than RMK because he took IU to the championship game 2 years after RMK left. I wonder how that could possibly happen?

Reactions: hurryin76hoosier
I honestly don't see how they can enjoy being IU fans if they're 100 percent negative, pessimistic and emotional all the time. It has to be a miserable. I know they seem miserable and many seem totally pathetic.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Almost like saying Mike Davis was a far better coach than RMK because he took IU to the championship game 2 years after RMK left. I wonder how that could possibly happen?

IU fired Knight in September of 2000 so Davis took over that year, the very next year they went to the title game. Archie is in his 3rd Season at IU and has been gone from Dayton for 3 seasons now.

We have 4 guys on the roster who have taken up a bunch of scholarship space but have barely been able to contribute because of injury and development delay. Race, Rob, Jerome, and Deron have all had significant parts of their careers hampered by injury.

Players in a D1 althetics program injured? Who would have thought...

Awesome. A bad loss and the troll birds all show up to celebrate.

Honestly a crap load of Hoosiers could care less from the looks of attendance..
The world is a whole different place than 1976..
And I'm one whose been around before that..
The landscape of college basketball is much different also..Bloomington isn't a sexy destination..
I loose no sleep over a loss ..And I go, And give money in support..
Archie will be back. No matter what happens this year...
Happy New Year !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT