ADVERTISEMENT

UNC says no to NIT

Crayfish57

All-American
Sep 18, 2013
Could be a decent NIT this year at least first round to fill the void before the NCAA starts

There is a certain arrogance of turning down post season play (i.e. Notre Dame while ranked in Top 20 in Holtz’s last season refusing bowl invitations they deemed beneath them), UNC will not suffer long term damage for declining NIT; that tourney has a history of embarrassing losses of “name” teams who don’t come ready to play. Coming into season an #1 in nation and championship runner-up to the NIT is a big disappointment, so I understand the sentiment. I wonder if circumstances were different - a young, struggling UNC team getting their stride late in the season might have played - I bet so.

First Four is the Big Dance and a team refusing would simply be absurd.

There is a certain arrogance of turning down post season play (i.e. Notre Dame while ranked in Top 20 in Holtz’s last season refusing bowl invitations they deemed beneath them), UNC will not suffer long term damage for declining NIT; that tourney has a history of embarrassing losses of “name” teams who don’t come ready to play. Coming into season an #1 in nation and championship runner-up to the NIT is a big disappointment, so I understand the sentiment. I wonder if circumstances were different - a young, struggling UNC team getting their stride late in the season might have played - I bet so.

First Four is the Big Dance and a team refusing would simply be absurd.
kind of like how the Hoosiers tore it up in Atlanta Crean's last game???

Wonder if this is player driven, in any way?

Bacot, Love...any of those kids entering the draft?

Basketball doesn't have 100 kids on their roster to backfill and field a full/competitive team, like football does.

This could be similar to players opting out of bowl games to prepare for the draft. And with basketball, if a couple key players do that...you basically have no chance of winning it.

Regardless, its not a very good look for UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT