ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Bid

Based on the following, it is unlikely an NIT bid would even be a possibility:

The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify.

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. Additional teams from the six conferences with automatic qualifications are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

Reactions: BleedinGold
NIT would be added revenue, which could be used to buy coach.
Unless we're indeed firing his ass, I have no interest watching us do the same thing in the NIT. I can't believe no other coaches figured out what Hoiberg did to us tonight and that we have zero ability to counter.

because i worked there for a very long time at a high level for what i did, suffice to say i know how the spin is made, and it's been made while things are spinning.
You need to go on and elaborate what you can please. I can put the crazy puzzle together if it needs be.

because i worked there for a very long time at a high level for what i did, suffice to say i know how the spin is made, and it's been made while things are spinning.

I would be very surprised if Woodson is retained. In fact, I don't think IU can afford not to fire him after this. What program can?

No recruits coming in. The program in tatters. A 30 point loss to Neb. No post season.

I mean, some times you thank the stars when the decision is so obvious!

Rabby reporting that IU will decline the bid. No ware, no Gallo, not good.

I do feel for the Btown restaurants and bars.

I would be very surprised if Woodson is retained. In fact, I don't think IU can afford not to fire him after this. What program can?

No recruits coming in. The program in tatters. A 30 point loss to Neb. No post season.

I mean, some times you thank the stars when the decision is so obvious!
Simple economics....supply and demand. That is why Woodson is coming back. Too many top level schools looking for a head coach at the same time...all looking at the same guys. The Dusty Mays of the world are going to make a killing. Unless IU has already been proactively cultivating a replacent (highly doubtful) its too late to fire him. When he said he's coming back....and people thought that was arrogance and hutzpah....it may simply be he's already been retained, and knows it.

Simple economics....supply and demand. That is why Woodson is coming back. Too many top level schools looking for a head coach at the same time...all looking at the same guys. The Dusty Mays of the world are going to make a killing. Unless IU has already been proactively cultivating a replacent (highly doubtful) its too late to fire him. When he said he's coming back....and people thought that was arrogance and hutzpah....it may simply be he's already been retained, and knows it.

That'll be every year. NCAA bball is fluid.

No, this is the time. The iceberg is still far enough away we can port round it. Wait another season and the program will be at the bottom of the Atlantic, if we aren't already?

It would be different had MW shown something this year.

No, this is the time. The iceberg is still far enough away we can port round it. Wait another season and the program will be at the bottom of the Atlantic, if we aren't already?

What do you mean? Surely you were impressed by that amazing passion he showed when standing up for his team and getting tossed with 6 minutes to go in the final game of the season, right?

Reactions: GThomas
I am slow to understand. What is “there”? Is there the NIT?
I agree things are dishonest (spun), but what needs to be spun here?

The Office Lol GIF

wrong, he's not been told that, and his childish behavior is lashing out. its a train wreck and it's so obvious. you are also making a huge assumption that IU hasn't indeed been (this would be more correct) ... "proactively cultivating a replacent (highly doubtful likely)"

What do you mean? Surely you were impressed by that amazing passion he showed when standing up for his team and getting tossed with 6 minutes to go in the final game of the season, right?

I think the season surprised him and his head is spinning. But no season should surprise a coach, if we're being honest, and not to this degree...especially when I'm not surprised given the roster put together in the spring/summer.

I guess it's as simple as: you need to be able to shoot to win bball games. It was true on court 8 at the old HPER and it's true in D1.

Woody missed the memo, and, with it, his chance at IU. Brings me no joy to say it. I like the hire in a "we've tried everything else" kind of way.

I know one thing: unless we wanna live and drown in our own shit, we have to branch out from the IU family.

Reactions: Spartans9312

I enjoyed your Titanic analogy, finding myself singing My Heart Will Go On with morning coffee. Try it yourself and see if your day illuminates, as it did mine.

I enjoyed your Titanic analogy, finding myself singing My Heart Will Go On with morning coffee. Try it yourself and see if your day illuminates, as it did mine.

I'm here. There's nothing to fear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT