ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Projections

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I’ve seen a few NIT projections listing IU as unseeded facing #2 Butler or unseeded facing #2 Cincinnati. I sure hope they play Butler. If IU accepts bid

That would be a bad draw for Butler. IU fans love Hinkle.

Do people think Ware would play? Idk what’s standard but that seems too risky for a potential lotto pick.

We may win some BTT games that help our NIT seeding quite a bit. A lot could change.

can we even win one NIT game without Ware? I have my doubts
Most likely not. The thing about the NIT is ALL those teams are going to be similar to IU in most all ways. They're all "bubble" type teams. The teams that do well, are the ones that have all their players playing, and that take it seriously.

IU should decline the invitation if any of our key players are going to opt out of it.

Coaching staff needs to get to work recruiting the portal...like the second the season is over...and the sooner the better.

Most likely not. The thing about the NIT is ALL those teams are going to be similar to IU in most all ways. They're all "bubble" type teams. The teams that do well, are the ones that have all their players playing, and that take it seriously.

IU should decline the invitation if any of our key players are going to opt out of it.

Coaching staff needs to get to work recruiting the portal...like the second the season is over...and the sooner the better.
What's the downside even if key players opt out?

I assume it's money for athletics, and it's game experience for the players.

I guess injury, but that's a risk in any game or even practice.

I agree it doesn't mean much, but why not play?

What's the downside even if key players opt out?

I assume it's money for athletics, and it's game experience for the players.

I guess injury, but that's a risk in any game or even practice.

I agree it doesn't mean much, but why not play?
Not sure what the financial benefit is...

Game experience...maybe there's some value there...though I don't think the NIT experience really would prepare anyone for NCAA experiences...especially with them a year removed from each other. The first couple rounds aren't "neutral site" games, in NBA style arenas, like an NCAA game would be. The only way the NIT does anything positive, in my opinion, is if you make it to New York. THAT experience can be beneficial. But a depleted IU team isn't doing that...no chance.

The biggest downsides I see...

1. Later start going full bore at the portal.
2. Lack of any obvious upside.
3. Further degrading of national image...we'll get thumped if Ware and/or others don't play.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

Do people think Ware would play? Idk what’s standard but that seems too risky for a potential lotto pick.

We may win some BTT games that help our NIT seeding quite a bit. A lot could change.
Langford sat out the NIT and they probably could have won it if he played honestely. Ware who knows but he could sit out.

Not sure what the financial benefit is...

Game experience...maybe there's some value there...though I don't think the NIT experience really would prepare anyone for NCAA experiences...especially with them a year removed from each other. The first couple rounds aren't "neutral site" games, in NBA style arenas, like an NCAA game would be. The only way the NIT does anything positive, in my opinion, is if you make it to New York. THAT experience can be beneficial. But a depleted IU team isn't doing that...no chance.

The biggest downsides I see...

1. Later start going full bore at the portal.
2. Lack of any obvious upside.
3. Further degrading of national image...we'll get thumped if Ware and/or others don't play.

I assumed there'd be some revenue for the participating teams? Maybe not enough to worry about?

Good points otherwise, getting maximum focus on the portal and any late recruiting that might still be possible is probably more important.

• Haha

Absolutely not and you’d have to think guys like Banks and Gunn are in the portal the second the season ends.

They are not going to decline an NIT bid. The one year we declined I think it was the CBI tourney. Langford opted out last time we were in the NIT and we still played and won a few games.

• Haha
They are not going to decline an NIT bid. The one year we declined I think it was the CBI tourney. Langford opted out last time we were in the NIT and we still played and won a few games.
Depending on who is in to play, and who's out...you could be right.

I would say that the landscape has changed A LOT since then. And Woody's challenge this offseason is quite a lot different than what Archie would have been facing.

Everyone knows how important the portal is. Ware doesn't play...it wouldn't surprise me, at all, if they opt out.

• Haha
If we will be missing just Ware and everyone else is available & healthy, I think they play. I suspect CMW would love to play in NY also.

• Haha
MR not playing would signal a bigger concern (portal).
I can't think of a situation where a kid would opt to sit (if healthy), AND would be coming back next season. NBA, portal, just not playing college bball any more... any of the reasons would lead to not at IU next year...

• Haha
HE will get drafted in the second round or for sure signed. His stock has skyrocketed last month.
You might watch Assembly Call from yesterday. At one point Ryan said he got a text from a scout who said Ware is in the lottery. He asked him about MM and he said the scout said he thinks he's worked his way up to a second rd pick. Not 100% sure on that, but I believe that's what he said. Now, of course that's an unnamed scout, but I was a bit surprised by that.

big time. There are those on here painting a rosier picture for next year...but that's under the assumption that Ware departs but MM and MR returns. If MR does not, then everything changes, and not for the better.
So many variables to consider...

If BOTH of them leave...obviously that's really, really tough. But I have to think Woody will have high end options in the front court. TJD and Ware's success, and Ware departing, would have to entice some high caliber bigs.

The key, no matter who leaves and who returns, will end up being how he addresses the perimeter positions. Malik and/or Mack or not, next season can't be successful for Woody and IU without him improving the roster in the backcourt this offseason.

HE will get drafted in the second round or for sure signed. His stock has skyrocketed last month.
Reneau or Mgbako? Reneau isn't getting drafted this year. I would concede that MM has a chance at being a 2nd round pick but he'd play in the NIT unless he's definitely foregoing the rest of his eligibility and returning to school is not on the table.

So many variables to consider...

If BOTH of them leave...obviously that's really, really tough. But I have to think Woody will have high end options in the front court. TJD and Ware's success, and Ware departing, would have to entice some high caliber bigs.

The key, no matter who leaves and who returns, will end up being how he addresses the perimeter positions. Malik and/or Mack or not, next season can't be successful for Woody and IU without him improving the roster in the backcourt this offseason.
I can't think of a reason why MR wouldn't return unless he wants to take a pretty big pay cut and play on a legit contender with a smaller role. I do think Woodson is going to be forced for optics sake to really recruit guards and perimeter players in the portal this offseason. And more guards and perimeter play means more 1v1 for Reneau without the doubles and digs. Reneau could be a 20 ppg scorer here next year.

I can't think of a reason why MR wouldn't return unless he wants to take a pretty big pay cut and play on a legit contender with a smaller role. I do think Woodson is going to be forced for optics sake to really recruit guards and perimeter players in the portal and more guards and perimeter play means more 1v1 for Reneau without the doubles and digs. Reneau could be a 20 ppg scorer here next year.
A potential reason could be he doesn't like Woody/Bloomington/his teammates... those things don't seem to be true, though.

Beyond that, I could see him feeling like he's been not focused on as much as he'd like with TJD and Ware being the main interior focus, and the object of much of Woody's NBA discussions. But I'm not sure hed be able to find a "peer" school to IU in terms of NIL and exposure opportunity, that wouldn't have other good bigs in the fold.

I think if MR were to leave, the MOST likely reason would be he realizes he needs to develop his game away from the basket to maximize his NBA potential and value. And obviously Woody's track record in that area, isn't nearly as strong.

• Haha

Nah, man. The coaching staff is tired, man. It’s been a long season, man. Our guys need the rest. We’ll get around to finding 9 guys in the portal once we get some rest, man.

A potential reason could be he doesn't like Woody/Bloomington/his teammates... those things don't seem to be true, though.

Beyond that, I could see him feeling like he's been not focused on as much as he'd like with TJD and Ware being the main interior focus, and the object of much of Woody's NBA discussions. But I'm not sure hed be able to find a "peer" school to IU in terms of NIL and exposure opportunity, that wouldn't have other good bigs in the fold.

I think if MR were to leave, the MOST likely reason would be he realizes he needs to develop his game away from the basket to maximize his NBA potential and value. And obviously Woody's track record in that area, isn't nearly as strong.
Reneau making the NBA is going to be way more dependent on his ability protect the rim and defend out to the perimeter.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Man, Butler and Matta boat racing oody and IU would be an interesting discussion topic.

• Haha
I’ve seen a few NIT projections listing IU as unseeded facing #2 Butler or unseeded facing #2 Cincinnati. I sure hope they play Butler. If IU accepts bid
Indiana basketball 2024 discussing NIT projections. Is this the twilight zone?

• Haha
Reneau isn't ever going to protect the rim in an NBA game. He's LeBron's size, and not overly bouncy. 3, D, and Rebounding his his path to the league.
Disagree, he's 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan. He's never going to be able to be a perimeter player in the NBA. Doesn't have anywhere near the ball skills or shooting ability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT