ADVERTISEMENT

Two new walk-on transfers.....sounds intriguing

That tournament had over-rated teams? FYI, Gonzaga finished #9 and Duke #12 in the final AP poll. If your definition of over-rated is not in the Top 5, then perhaps so. But for most, being in the Top 12 of 340 teams is viewed as being pretty good.

You also need to resolve your differences with IUNorth, he posted above that Loyer is a good ball-handler and a good player. By the way Loyer was selected conference Freshman of the Week 3 times last season, but what does that mean when you know better?
You’re still here?

Reactions: Willray
So let me get this straight. Loyer was the starting 2 guard on a Big Ten regular season and tourney champ team. You think this guy is a better shooter than Loyer but could only get a walk on offer. The drugs down in Bloomington must be legit!!
Maybe Loyer just sucks ...

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So good he had no idea what to do at half court. The only good win in that tournament was Gonzaga. Duke…overrated. Got beat after beating the powerhouse oral roberts. Congratulations.
The AP voters don't know good teams either. FYI, Duke finished 3rd in the ACC, one game behind VA and Miami. They were obviously not very good, right. tic

The AP voters don't know good teams either. FYI, Duke finished 3rd in the ACC, one game behind VA and Miami. They were obviously not very good, right. tic
Please go see a therapist, your self esteem issues are becoming an annoyance to this board.

TIA

So good he had no idea what to do at half court. The only good win in that tournament was Gonzaga. Duke…overrated. Got beat after beating the powerhouse oral roberts. Congratulations.
Loyer made Honorable All-Big Ten. Your returning starting guard, Galloway, did not earn that honor. Obviously, the voters do not hold him in the same regard as Loyer. You might want to re-think your criticism.

I get that you don't like Purdue. I get that you don't like Loyer. However, your post is simply silly.

Loyer won a national 3-point shooting contest as a HS Senior. He was Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a true freshman. Do you contend that the media that vote these awards and cover the Big Ten are ignorant or foolish? It would seem that you do.

Now, if you want to claim that his shooting fell off during the season, especially in the latter part, you would be correct. The combination of "...hitting the freshman wall...", the especially physical Big Ten play and his physical build were highly likely factors in that outcome. No argument there at all. But to claim that he isn't a good shooter doesn't work given his earlier season results and his HS career.

Physical maturity and additional training are likely to change the arc of seasonal performance for him. I would not expect a repeat performance over time.

I know that you revel in the 2-game sweep. But I am old enough to remember a very much longer one on the other side in the not-so-distant past.
Omg

They let this insecure undereducated troll back?

No player parents available to pick fights with Bubba?

Loyer made Honorable All-Big Ten. Your returning starting guard, Galloway, did not earn that honor. Obviously, the voters do not hold him in the same regard as Loyer. You might want to re-think your criticism.
Loyer and 26 other players made honorable mention, again who gives a shit? You clearly don't know how voting works.

Galloway didn't become a full-time starter up until conference season and was by far and away the more efficient player on both ends of the court by a country mile.

And don't forget that Galloway absolutely PUNKED Loyer in BOTH meetings this year.

Just throwing out the possibilities.

Loyer is a good ball handler. He can shoot off the dribble. He's crafty going to the basket. He's an above average passer for a wing "scorer".

Creel looks pretty stout physically...and he's listed at 6'5". If he is 6-5, and weighs 200+...he's a little taller, and probably stronger, physically than Loyer.

I have no idea...mainly I was dropping some chum in the water for some funny responses.

But my literal side felt compelled to back up my statement with things that could be true.

Beyond all the things I mentioned above...some kids are just more able to pull all those things together, and make plays with what they have.

Loyer is a good overall basketball player. He just isn't very good defensively. And he isn't an elite level shooter. Leaves the door open for fundamentally sound kids to be better than him at certain specific aspects of basketball...but likely not as good overall.
well, Loyer shot 33% on 3s and 37% overall, so if you think he's good overall, but not a great 3 pt shooter, the #s don't really support that, imo. He was an ok-good shooter but needs to get stronger to finish more/better. Loyer averaged 29 mpg and 11 ppg, as a freshman. He's likely better at everything than a walk on we just signed, because he's not going to get off the bench most likely. The trolling comment, I'll buy!

If the voters think loyer is better than a player that punked him then I’m not sure voters know what they are looking at.

If the voters think loyer is better than a player that punked him then I’m not sure voters know what they are looking at.
Voter*

He received a single vote (3rd team) from one of the 14 member media panel. Anybody who receives a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team vote is automatically named honorable mention. It's why 26 other players are also on the honorable mention list.

Ivey threw Galloway to the court in Bloomington in response to Galloways play.
I’ll take Galloway every day over Loyer.

Voter*

He received a single vote (3rd team) from one of the 14 member media panel. Anybody who receives a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team vote is automatically named honorable mention. It's why 26 other players are also on the honorable mention list.
Well eeexxxcuse me!!!! 😉Also, I went back and watched. Loyer got punked by JHS and Kopp. Smith was locked up by Trey. 🤣 won’t get easier with X. X is a better defender than all of them.

Reactions: kkott
Voter*

So what? He still received the vote, which according to you is the case. If so, that is one more than Galloway got. The record stands that he was viewed more highly.

That tournament had over-rated teams? FYI, Gonzaga finished #9 and Duke #12 in the final AP poll. If your definition of over-rated is not in the Top 5, then perhaps so. But for most, being in the Top 12 of 340 teams is viewed as being pretty good.

You also need to resolve your differences with IUNorth, he posted above that Loyer is a good ball-handler and a good player. By the way Loyer was selected conference Freshman of the Week 3 times last season, but what does that mean when you know better?
I fully get that you like your players, that is expected. But why come on IU's site to try and convince the IU fan base that Loyer is better than IU guards?

So what? He still received the vote, which according to you is the case. If so, that is one more than Galloway got. The record stands that he was viewed more highly.
Let me see if I remember how this goes? Scoreboard. Yeah, that's right (and it feels so good!).

You like your guy, and we like ours, and we swept you. If you want to believe one writer (do PU writers vote for this? Yeah, I thought so!) makes your guy more valuable, you go right ahead. I'll take wins every time.

Look at the thread. I was responding to a post that maintained that a walk-on was a better shooter than Loyer. This was made despite Loyer winning a national competition and making Hon Mention All-Big Ten.

Did Loyer wear down over the course of the season? Absolutely. That is not unusual for freshmen. Did it affect his shooting? Yes, it did. But to seriously maintain that a walk-on or Galloway is a consistently better player makes little sense.

Let me see if I remember how this goes? Scoreboard. Yeah, that's right (and it feels so good!).

You like your guy, and we like ours, and we swept you. If you want to believe one writer (do PU writers vote for this? Yeah, I thought so!) makes your guy more valuable, you go right ahead. I'll take wins every time.
Who said that it was a Purdue writer who voted for him? I do not know who voted for him, assuming that it was a single individual. I only know that he was voted as the record affirms that.

Look at the thread. I was responding to a post that maintained that a walk-on was a better shooter than Loyer. This was made despite Loyer winning a national competition and making Hon Mention All-Big Ten.

Did Loyer wear down over the course of the season? Absolutely. That is not unusual for freshmen. Did it affect his shooting? Yes, it did. But to seriously maintain that a walk-on or Galloway is a consistently better player makes little sense.
You responded to me. I didn’t say a walk on was better. I said loyer isn’t a great shooter. You punks always get hurt with troll bait.

You responded to me. I didn’t say a walk on was better. I said loyer isn’t a great shooter. You punks always get hurt with troll bait.
No, actually my response was directed at IUNorth's comment about the walk-on and as well as your post noting that Loyer was not a good shooter. I pointed out that Loyer did well in the Nike Tournament to which you claimed it was achieved against over-rated teams. I then pointed out that those over-rated teams finished 9th and 12th in the FINAL AP Poll so that suggests that they could not have been that over-rated given their regular season performance. 30+ data points is usually viewed as a reasonable set from which to draw conclusions.

You revel that you got your sweep last season, despite finishing well behind in conference standings and national polls. For the record, in the past decade Purdue is 13-4, including a 9-0 run. Over the past 2 decades, it is 20-15. Over the last 3 decades, it is 31-24. If anything, 2023 could be reasonably viewed as a regression to a statistical mean as opposed to indicating a change in trend.

I get that you don't like Purdue. I get that you don't like Loyer. However, your post is simply silly.

Loyer won a national 3-point shooting contest as a HS Senior. He was Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a true freshman. Do you contend that the media that vote these awards and cover the Big Ten are ignorant or foolish? It would seem that you do.

Now, if you want to claim that his shooting fell off during the season, especially in the latter part, you would be correct. The combination of "...hitting the freshman wall...", the especially physical Big Ten play and his physical build were highly likely factors in that outcome. No argument there at all. But to claim that he isn't a good shooter doesn't work given his earlier season results and his HS career.

Physical maturity and additional training are likely to change the arc of seasonal performance for him. I would not expect a repeat performance over time.

I know that you revel in the 2-game sweep. But I am old enough to remember a very much longer one on the other side in the not-so-distant past.
So Loyer won a three point shooting contest…BFD. That has about as much meaning as me once hitting 14 straight free throws during my junior high carnival night. Anyone can get hot for a one-time event.

Loyer wouldn’t have been All-BT honorable mention without “the big guy” drawing so much attention.

The big difference between our sweep and yours is that you swept when we were admittedly shitty, while we swept when you were highly rated and we weren’t. That win up at Mackey was one of my most satisfying wins in over 60 years of watching the two game series. Nobody dressed in B & G that day thought they could lose that second game at home. To see your alumni looks progress from cockiness to disbelief to dejection, one mid-range JHS dagger at a time, was priceless!

No, actually my response was directed at IUNorth's comment about the walk-on and as well as your post noting that Loyer was not a good shooter. I pointed out that Loyer did well in the Nike Tournament to which you claimed it was achieved against over-rated teams. I then pointed out that those over-rated teams finished 9th and 12th in the FINAL AP Poll so that suggests that they could not have been that over-rated given their regular season performance. 30+ data points is usually viewed as a reasonable set from which to draw conclusions.

You revel that you got your sweep last season, despite finishing well behind in conference standings and national polls. For the record, in the past decade Purdue is 13-4, including a 9-0 run. Over the past 2 decades, it is 20-15. Over the last 3 decades, it is 31-24. If anything, 2023 could be reasonably viewed as a regression to a statistical mean as opposed to indicating a change in trend.
Injuries to three IU starters has just a bit to do with that Bubba,

Go back and look doofus. You responded to me not him. Figures. I don’t care about who’s better. I simply said your boy wasn’t a good shooter. No argument you have changes that. Now go back and respond to North. He’s the one you want to argue with.

So Loyer won a three point shooting contest…BFD. That has about as much meaning as me once hitting 14 straight free throws during my junior high carnival night. Anyone can get hot for a one-time event.

Loyer wouldn’t have been All-BT honorable mention without “the big guy” drawing so much attention.

The big difference between our sweep and yours is that you swept when we were admittedly shitty, while we swept when you were highly rated and we weren’t. That win up at Mackey was one of my most satisfying wins in over 60 years of watching the two game series. Nobody dressed in B & G that day thought they could lose that second game at home. To see your alumni looks progress from cockiness to disbelief to dejection, one mid-range JHS dagger at a time, was priceless!
If you are going to suggest, as I believe your post implies, that IU fans at their home games expected the 9-0 run for those losses you are kidding yourself.

Go back and look doofus. You responded to me not him. Figures. I don’t care about who’s better. I simply said your boy wasn’t a good shooter. No argument you have changes that. Now go back and respond to North. He’s the one you want to argue with.
I was responding to both of you, note the text. Your post was just the most recent of the two. I picked one to cite.

I was taught in school that when you resort to ad hominems that means you are on the losing side of the discussion.

Is Smith getting some lifts to help him deal with the bigger guards who don't let him see the basket?
I think you and I both know there is a big jump between a true freshman body and a sophomore body in terms of development. Usually a big jump in skill as well.

To say an unproven walk on is better, I'd agree, while still within the realm of possibility, it makes no sense. To say Galloway is better, makes a lot more sense and is entirely reasonable: I think he shot better overall, better from 3, much better defender... The fact that as few as a single sportswriter might have voted for Loyer, hardly indicates he's a better player. Again, I think most IU fans would prefer Galloway and most PU fans Loyer. Thats perfect.

If you are going to suggest, as I believe your post implies, that IU fans at their home games expected the 9-0 run for those losses you are kidding yourself.
All Painter had to do was look over to our bench to see our head coach and know his team always had a chance during that 9-0 run. Those days are done. Woodson is now 3-1 against you clowns. There's a new boss come to B-town. I predict we sweep you again, just to feel that feel again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT