ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle might be better than Penix

Kudos to Tuttle on a great first full game for IU. I've been watching IU football before I ever registered and graduated from IU; never, ever thought I'd see the day IU defeated PSU, MSU, UM and Wisky in the same season! Tom Allen has built a winner and deserves national COY. I live only about 1/2 hour north of Tampa and I can tell you there have been numerous articles written down here about IU, Tom Allen, and the ongoing Tampa connection. Hope it continues because there certainly seems to be a correlation between the increase in southern recruits and IU football success.

Honestly, while Tuttle was impressive for his first game. Penix would have picked that Wiscy secondary to pieces.

The speed of Tuttle's throws vs Penix is noticeable, and that's taking nothing away from Tuttle. But Penix has a much quicker release and can scan the field.

I'm very happy with the win - ecstatic! But I'm not ready to say Tuttle is better than Penix.
I don't want to compare Tuttle-Penix on just one game. I think it will be interesting to see what kind of shape Penix is in come September. You could "speculate" that Tuttle will go into camp as #1, if he continues to perform.

This. He ran the offense very effectively and efficiently. Wisconsin defense is good.
The TV crew showed that elite 11 group with Tuttle right there with Heisman Clemson boy. Tuttle may have huge upside still!
Tuttle finished fourth behind Trevor Lawrence Clemson, Justin Fields OSU, Matt Corrall Ole Miss. Also Dorian Thompson Robinson UCLA

I was very impressed with Tuttle but he took too many hits today. That worries me.
I'll just say it - he looked fragile on those hits. He's going to have to muscle up a little bit to withstand those, because teams are going to be coming after him.

Maybe now that he know what it's like, he'll be more prepared for it.

He really did take some hits today but I like the way he was emphatic about getting back on the field as they were taking him toward the locker room. He was pointing to the field because IU had just made a stop and he knew the team was going to need him. I got chills seeing him come running out of that tunnel and giving Coach Allen a high five.

Same debate vs Ramsey. Tuttle is playing. Just like Ramsey.
Except Ramsey could take a hit and keep on ticking.

Tuttle has the better arm of the two.

We're very fortunate to have both and to have had Ramsey last year.

No team wins without a good Quarterback, and we've been very fortunate under Wilson to have very good QBs. All 3 have started and one has started on 2 P5 teams!

He really did take some hits today but I like the way he was emphatic about getting back on the field as they were taking him toward the locker room. He was pointing to the field because IU had just made a stop and he knew the team was going to need him. I got chills seeing him come running out of that tunnel and giving Coach Allen a high five.
Yeah, that was inspiring. If that would have been an O$U or Alabama or Notre Dame QB do that, it would be headline news on all the media. IU does it and it barely rates a mention on the highlights.

Except Ramsey could take a hit and keep on ticking.

Tuttle has the better arm of the two.

We're very fortunate to have both and to have had Ramsey last year.

No team wins without a good Quarterback, and we've been very fortunate under Wilson to have very good QBs. All 3 have started and one has started on 2 P5 teams!
You mean under Allen?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yeah, that was inspiring. If that would have been an O$U or Alabama or Notre Dame QB do that, it would be headline news on all the media. IU does it and it barely rates a mention on the highlights.
Of course, Ohio St. is the second winningest program and ND is the 5th. And they’re both top 4 this year. Give it some time to become legendary. 😀

Honestly, while Tuttle was impressive for his first game. Penix would have picked that Wiscy secondary to pieces.

The speed of Tuttle's throws vs Penix is noticeable, and that's taking nothing away from Tuttle. But Penix has a much quicker release and can scan the field.

I'm very happy with the win - ecstatic! But I'm not ready to say Tuttle is better than Penix.
Its insane to me to say, at this point, that Tuttle may be better. Tuttle has looked alright but Penix was having a spectacular season.

Penix is a legit star when healthy.

We must be realistic about Penix, the second ACL will no doubt take a longer rehab. It's possible it could be closer to 10 or 11 months before he is ready to play, that would put him out for a majority of next season since he got injured on November 28, He may not really be ready to play until the November games.

I'm sad for Penix but having said that..., given that his situation is what it is...; he'll give us a great trump card to potentially be utilized over the last 4 games of next years season (as in the last two regular season games, the Big Ten Championship game and the National Championship game)...

From what I've seen across the league over the past few years, you Need two true starter quality QB's (A&1A) to seriously compete for the Big Ten title And beyond... If Penix can make it back by mid next November this scenario might just work out really well for both him and the TEAM...

- LEO -

Last edited:
I'll just say it - he looked fragile on those hits. He's going to have to muscle up a little bit to withstand those, because teams are going to be coming after him.

They said Tuttle 6’3” and 215. Might be better if 230

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

I got the exact opposite impression, I thought he looked unfazed. He didn't ask for attention on the sideline... the trainer came to him to evaluate his condition.

I got the exact opposite impression, I thought he looked unfazed. He didn't ask for attention on the sideline... the trainer came to him to evaluate his condition.
I'm not blaming him. Maybe fragile isn't the right word, but after every hit, he looked a little woozy or didn't bounce up. It just seemed to me like he didn't take the hits very well.

Not a knock on him - he showed a lot of courage, standing in there when he knew he was going to get drilled. Physically, he just seemed...... I don't know the correct word, outside of fragile.

And he came charging back, ready to go. I guess I'm just worried, because I doubt Dexter is quite ready to step in. I imagine he'll get more snaps in practice this week.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I'm not blaming him. Maybe fragile isn't the right word, but after every hit, he looked a little woozy or didn't bounce up. It just seemed to me like he didn't take the hits very well.

Not a knock on him - he showed a lot of courage, standing in there when he knew he was going to get drilled. Physically, he just seemed...... I don't know the correct word, outside of fragile.

And he came charging back, ready to go. I guess I'm just worried, because I doubt Dexter is quite ready to step in. I imagine he'll get more snaps in practice this week.
He doesn't get hit in practice, and he hasn't played in a game where he wasn't just handing it off in 2+ years. And he's probably never been hit by a linebacker going full out at that size. I assume that would take some getting used to.

Dudes: let’s relax a bit. Tuttle played one game. He is a coveted recruit. He will get better and may be great. Michael is awesome and still a work in progress. Not sure why people want to say who’s better at this point. I do feel we are in good hands w both. So much better than anything in recent memory and I’m class of 1984. Go Hoosiers!
Great point. Who is better is irrelevant. Focus on Purdue

Dudes: let’s relax a bit. Tuttle played one game. He is a coveted recruit. He will get better and may be great. Michael is awesome and still a work in progress. Not sure why people want to say who’s better at this point. I do feel we are in good hands w both. So much better than anything in recent memory and I’m class of 1984. Go Hoosiers!
Agree, Its gonna take Tuttle a few to adjust to "game speed" snaps. Once he adjusts and can go through his progressions with confidence he will be scorching defenses. We are in good hands!

Reactions: DANC
Two observations:

(1) Jack is still "new" to college football, although he'll get better. One thing that stuck out to me was on the scramble where he got his bell rung, he kind of pulled up for a moment before moving forward. You could tell there was some indecision on his part. That's not a knock on him, he was very good all game, it's just the reality of a young QB getting his first start. And if that's the worst we can say about him, good.

(2) Good on Sheridan for dialing back the playbook & good on the team for coming together to take the heat off of Jack. There were still those deep sideline passes to keep Wiscy honest, but so much more was happening within 20 yards of the LOS. And the running game becoming more effective as the game went on was a nice development. It wasn't a flashy offensive performance, but it was efficient. There was only one 3-and-out for IU (although you could probably count the 4th down fumble as an additional), and that's so much better than we had seen even last week against Maryland when there were FIVE.

Reactions: DANC
There was only one 3-and-out for IU (although you could probably count the 4th down fumble as an additional),
Fumble was on 3rd down, and it ended a series where we had gained a first down.

Fumble was on 3rd down, and it ended a series where we had gained a first down.
I stand corrected. Then one 3-and-out it is! Taken as a whole, very impressed with offensive performance. Relying on the D to do its thing and moving the ball as necessary.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Tuttle is very impressive, throws a nice ball. Getting him to Bloomington is one hell of a piece of recruiting by Tom Allen. Tuttle could be the starter at many, many programs.

Just very blessed to have him and yes, I think there could be a QB battle next fall!!
Yes and I don’t care which one is better just happy we have both of them.

I think both will play next year. We talked last week about MP's upcoming surgery and subsequent rehab on how long that will take. I will assume a premise of MP's rehab goes well. If that happens, I don't see him (or his family) wanting to sit out. The recovery time window indicates he will be pushing that into the start of the season. While not ideal, I could see a "pitch count" number of plays for MP, especially early on with JT.

As for the current season, hoping Sheridan and Jack T can cut back on the qb sneaks and holding the ball so long, like on the play that nearly knocked him out of the game. No need to risk losing another qb.

We barely gained 200 yards. Penix passed for nearly 500 against OSU! I was also pleased with Tuttle and love his touch but you might want to slow your roll on one data point.
I think the Wisconsin defense is a helluva lot better than the OSU defense. Who knows how Penix would have done against Wisconsin and who knows how Tuttle would have done against OSU... and who cares. Jack Tuttle is our guy the remainder of this year and worry about next year...next year.

If we’re going to be a team built on elite defense we don’t need a gunslinger.

I LOL’d when the sideline reporter said it was 1 degree. Change your phone from Celsius!! Haha.
Talking wind chill or 'real feel"
not ambient air temp.

Reactions: TominDallas
I'm not going to lie....that Maryland performance BEFORE the injury had be a bit concerned...I mean, how much worse could it have been other than throwing pick 6's every possession.

Tuttle "got his feet wet" last week by essentially surfing the North Shore. I don't see him being fazed/scared going forward. he looked nails from the get go, which was the huge unknown.

We'll see how the offense looks the rest of the season, but we might be back to the same situation we ended up in with Ramsey by the end of next year.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
I'm not going to lie....that Maryland performance BEFORE the injury had be a bit concerned...I mean, how much worse could it have been other than throwing pick 6's every possession.

Tuttle "got his feet wet" last week by essentially surfing the North Shore. I don't see him being fazed/scared going forward. he looked nails from the get go, which was the huge unknown.

We'll see how the offense looks the rest of the season, but we might be back to the same situation we ended up in with Ramsey by the end of next year.
The end of next year is a long way off. Hopefully JT stays healthy through the end of this season and perhaps Williams will be in a position to make a contribution next season if necessary. Also, with our success this season and last, CTA and staff shouldn't have difficulty recruiting the position. Finally, there's always the transfer portal - - for an incoming. Who wouldn't want to finish up their playing career under Tom Allen? Or work on an MBA from Kelley while playing as a grad transfer? I think, going forward, we'll be fine at QB.

I must have been watching a different game. What I saw was a QB who took several punishing hits delivered by the fiercest defense in the conference and, except for the shot to the head that was reviewed for targeting, he was quickly ready for the next play. And, perhaps, most telling, he was still effective on the next play, stood firm in the pocket all afternoon, and delivered precision passes as he was about to get hit.

Now, given our current depth issue at QB and if you're worried about an injury, I share that concern. I'm sure the offensive plans going forward will factor that in, but pass pro needs to be stellar the next few weeks.

Could end up being better, but has a long way to go. That said I have been thoroughly impressed with his play so far given the way he was thrusted into action. I have already mentally braced for the realization that he is our QB going forward in the years to come. Unfortunately think we've seen the last of Michael Penix in an IU uniform.

Gotta throw for miles against pretty bad Purdue defense this Saturday..
But he could...
Looked comfortable in his first game ..And it was a huge game !!
He has skills ..No doubt about it..

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT