ADVERTISEMENT

Trump at Arlington National yesterday.

Excellent! Mike Johnson is attaching the SAVE act to the next funding bill. If no one is in favor or illegals voting there should be no objections from Democrats.
Federal law already prohibits noncitizens from voting in federal elections, and the feds don't have the authority to tell states who can vote in state/local elections, so what exactly is this "SAVE act" supposed to do?

The problem with my post is the question of whether Trump was at Arlington on behalf of the families, or as a political opportunity which he couldn't pass up.
Only his campaign manager knows for sure.

Bongino showed Biden posing for a photo op at the exact same location. It wasn’t a big deal then so why does the liberal media make it a big deal now? One guess only!

Reactions: DANC
Federal law already prohibits noncitizens from voting in federal elections, and the feds don't have the authority to tell states who can vote in state/local elections, so what exactly is this "SAVE act" supposed to do?
Requires proof of citizenship to register to vote, criminal penalties for those who register non citizens to vote, requires purging of non-citizens from voter rolls.

All good stuff.

Perhaps it would if it could be implemented, but it can't. The feds can't dictate how the states register voters.
Mike Lee disagrees and if Trump wins I think he would make a great next SCOTUS nominee. Generally I would agree that states have wide latitude, but this is an enforcement mechanism for existing constitutional law.

I look at opposition to the SAVE act thusly.

“Why do we need to pass a bill allowing cops to have radar guns? Speeding is already illegal”

Mike Lee disagrees and if Trump wins I think he would make a great next SCOTUS nominee. Generally I would agree that states have wide latitude, but this is an enforcement mechanism for existing constitutional law.

I look at opposition to the SAVE act thusly.

“Why do we need to pass a bill allowing cops to have radar guns? Speeding is already illegal”
This isn't a bill allowing radar guns. It's a bill mandating that all states provide them.

This isn't a bill allowing radar guns. It's a bill mandating that all states provide them.
You have me in a position that I’m uncomfortable arguing as I hate the idea of more Federal control of elections and think the John Lewis Voting Rights act would be an effective death knell to the Republic.

At the very least part of this bill is making it easier for states to access Federal databases to verify citizenship.

It specifically grants access to the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE)database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security, which is a “fast, secure, and reliable online service that allows federal, state, and local benefit-granting agencies to verify a benefit applicant’s immigration status or naturalized/derived citizenship.”

The bill requires that federal departments and agencies respond to state election official requests for eligibility information within 24 hours and prohibits the federal body from charging a fee. State election officials are also permitted to batch requests for eligibility information, enabling them to check multiple individuals at once

Good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT