ADVERTISEMENT

Trey

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans

Write up on Trey. I was surprised at how good his 3 pt % was, almost 50. His FTs were weak at 64%. I thought he had a great jump from sophomore to junior seasons. It would be great if he could do the same moving on to his senior year.
Good luck to Trey and for that matter we here on the forum.

Write up on Trey. I was surprised at how good his 3 pt % was, almost 50. His FTs were weak at 64%. I thought he had a great jump from sophomore to junior seasons. It would be great if he could do the same moving on to his senior year.
He's put so much time and effort into his perimeter shooting since he's arrived on campus no reason to think his game can't expand even further. Nobody is going to outwork Galloway.

He's not going to see a (any?) jump in his 3 pt %, but I think you're just saying in his overall game. Needs to get his FT% above 75, and work on getting comfortable taking contested 3s and driving and finishing. He benefitted from the attention Kopp got last year, but at this point right now, teams are going to focus on covering him at the 3 pt line.

He's not going to see a (any?) jump in his 3 pt %, but I think you're just saying in his overall game. Needs to get his FT% above 75, and work on getting comfortable taking contested 3s and driving and finishing. He benefitted from the attention Kopp got last year, but at this point right now, teams are going to focus on covering him at the 3 pt line.
Yes. A negative of getting better is you draw more attention.

very selective in his 3pt shots. he won't get as many open looks this year. And yes, he needs to bring his FT shooting above 70%. His form is still a little awkward. He plays so hard, sometimes I wonder if he's too gassed when he steps to the line.

He and X have to remain healthy. Hard to do when you take every play at 110% and play like maniacs.

He's put so much time and effort into his perimeter shooting since he's arrived on campus no reason to think his game can't expand even further. Nobody is going to outwork Galloway.
What exactly would expanding his game further look like in your eyes?

It seems to me if Trey provides what he always has, maybe with a bit more willingness to take open jumpers (especially in important situations), that will be what is best for this team this year. IU doesn't need Trey to be a big creator on offense. IU needs him to continue to do what he does best, which to me is playing hard, making all the right decisions, being a leader on the floor, knocking down open jumpers, making plays in transition and working his ass off on defense. Things like that. I'm not sure we want Trey expanding his game much.

It seems to me if Trey provides what he always has, maybe with a bit more willingness to take open jumpers (especially in important situations), that will be what is best for this team this year. IU doesn't need Trey to be a big creator on offense. IU needs him to continue to do what he does best, which to me is playing hard, making all the right decisions, being a leader on the floor, knocking down open jumpers, making plays in transition and working his ass off on defense. Things like that. I'm not sure we want Trey expanding his game much.
Think he has the ability to become a much more consistent three level scorer. He has the frame and size to get to the rim and his shooting has improved every year. No reason to think he can't become a consistent 10-11 ppg scorer as a secondary perimeter option.

Coaches son gives him a well established BB IQ. He knows the barometer reading on every facet of his game. That's how he improved so noticeably from Sophomore to Junior. I doubt Coach Woodson and staff have to do much pushing to get Trey to establish a stronger work ethic. Also as a good defender the last 2 seasons he'll be an improved defender going forward.

Reactions: 76-1 and asindc
One way a player improves their 3 point percentage is to take better shots and being prepared to shoot. I remember him passing up shots that many would take to find someone with possibly a better shot. I would like to see him shoot one or two more shots from 3 per game. The opportunities will be there for him this year

Reactions: birdforbogey
Think he has the ability to become a much more consistent three level scorer. He has the frame and size to get to the rim and his shooting has improved every year. No reason to think he can't become a consistent 10-11 ppg scorer as a secondary perimeter option.
I'll take Trey being a double dig scorer...if he pulls that off, and X stays healthy all season....high ceiling is achievable without a late summer transfer signing. Without Kopp, we'll need others to step up....MK was pretty one dimensional on offense, but he did demand a defender to stay near him on the perimeter.
My biggest concern is that we have not yet absorbed just how much we're gonna miss TJD on both ends of the court. And with the season he had, he still managed to stay out of foul trouble and give us 35 min most every game. Team will look so much different next season.

I'll take Trey being a double dig scorer...if he pulls that off, and X stays healthy all season....high ceiling is achievable without a late summer transfer signing. Without Kopp, we'll need others to step up....MK was pretty one dimensional on offense, but he did demand a defender to stay near him on the perimeter.
My biggest concern is that we have not yet absorbed just how much we're gonna miss TJD on both ends of the court. And with the season he had, he still managed to stay out of foul trouble and give us 35 min most every game. Team will look so much different next season.
Pretty decent assessment.

Trey clearly has the ability to be a double digit scorer. If that proves to not be the case it would be because others are scoring more easily. I have no idea how this team will do offensively but I would not be surprised to see 5 guys scoring around 9 points per game, especially in the B10.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Good that the team will look so much different, because last years team had many shortcomings. At least next season there's a lot more potential to be a much better team. Better rebounding and a deeper bench are just two reasons to be more optimistic.

Good that the team will look so much different, because last years team had many shortcomings. At least next season there's a lot more potential to be a much better team. Better rebounding and a deeper bench are just two reasons to be more optimistic.
agree in that the new look will move IU towards a different/modern type of offense. But people will need to make shots, and drive the ball. That's why X is so important...this new look only works if he's on the court 30+ min a game next season. Plus MR, Ware and others will need to pick up the slack in rebounding. And stay out of foul trouble playing interior defense. MR picked up too many silly freshman fouls away from the basket by not moving his feet.

Reactions: birdforbogey

I hope you're right. I really do.

Galloway does a few other things well that I hope don't slip down the list.

I've always liked how he stands at the top of the key until it looks like someone isn't treating him seriously and then just drives by them to the basket in, like, 1.36 steps, basically saying F-you-back.

Now that Johnson is back this year, we may not see Galloway holding the ball at the top of the key very often. But he still can do it.

Reactions: HillzHoozier

I'm sure Woody would love it if every player on IU's team would play with the intensity and hustle that Trey does. One of my favorite players since he arrived on the team.

Trey has earned starters minutes and Woody is clearly loyal to his upperclassmen, but i love seeing Trey come off the bench and turn the game on it's ear.

Yep and just playing more under control on offense, especially when in attack mode and passing the ball.. He controls that intensity just a bit and improves his ball handling he could be a very good player, either starting or first off the bench. With his health hopefully back to 100%, increased strength and maturity and not being forced to be a primary ball handler with X back, he could be a key to making us a very competitive team. And he just seems like a real team player willing to do anything to win.

He controls that intensity just a bit and improves his ball handling
He already did that....cut his TO% from 20%(which is horrible) in his first two years to 11% (exceptional) last year, while almost doubling minutes played, but his usage dropped.

Now he needs to be more aggressive and produce .. Trey had very low per minute production numbers... He needs to do more of everything if he's the starter .... far more.

Last edited:
He seems to be the epitome of a coaches son, mostly anyway, team first kind of attitude, hard worker, does all the intangibles well, fills the need for whatever the team needs. Doesn’t have a shooters mentality but should develop one this year since that’s what the team needs needs

Trey has earned starters minutes and Woody is clearly loyal to his upperclassmen, but i love seeing Trey come off the bench and turn the game on it's ear.
I doubt he would be too excited about that. Unless there is someone better, it’s just bad business from a coaching standpoint.

The constant yammering about how Trey needs to come off the bench is interesting to me. He could easily be IUs most valuable player this year. That probably sounds crazy to many people here, but what can I say?

I know everyone has high hopes for the new guys. I hope they’re as good as advertised. I hope they can play defense.

I doubt he would be too excited about that. Unless there is someone better, it’s just bad business from a coaching standpoint.

The constant yammering about how Trey needs to come off the bench is interesting to me. He could easily be IUs most valuable player this year. That probably sounds crazy to many people here, but what can I say?

I know everyone has high hopes for the new guys. I hope they’re as good as advertised. I hope they can play defense.
Agree, he needs to be, and can be, more than the energy guy of the bench. He should really benefit from a more fluid offense as a guy who likes to exploit seams in the defense.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

I suspect he wouldn’t like it either, but it is where he has the greatest impact. 20 minutes of chaos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT