ADVERTISEMENT

Top secret documents

I'd be inclined to think that there's a lot of "classified" stuff that doesn't amount to anything either. It would be human nature for people to get lackadaisical when they see stuff like a routine staff meeting agenda getting a classified imprint (I'm just making that example up).
That wouldn’t be TS/SCI. We will very quickly see who our hypocrites are on the WC now. Many have already exposed themselves and I think we’ll have more revealed very soon.

I'd recommend a 450-page report describing all the relevant items investigated, but explaining that they can't make any charging recommendations on account of the DOJ's memo that says a sitting president can't be prosecuted. That always seems to work out.

That is the rule, I thought it wrong before and still do. But I suspect a lot of people will twist in knots changing their minds.

That wouldn’t be TS/SCI. We will very quickly see who our hypocrites are on the WC now. Many have already exposed themselves and I think we’ll have more revealed very soon.
If he has SCI stuff at his office, that's pretty much guaranteed unjustifiable, even while he was Veep, right? Unless Obama gave him permission to remove those documents to his office, he wasn't supposed to have those there, no matter his access, correct?

If he has SCI stuff at his office, that's pretty much guaranteed unjustifiable, even while he was Veep, right? Unless Obama gave him permission to remove those documents to his office, he wasn't supposed to have those there, no matter his access, correct?
Correct. TS/SCI documents must be documented and stored in a proper high security container in a guarded facility.

@Aloha Hoosier Serious question:

I know you come down hard on mishandling of classified info, but setting aside the judgments, in your estimation, how common is it for someone to make mistakes like this? We hear about it when the case is about someone "important" or when the person caught gets serious punishment, but what about the stuff we don't hear? How common is it for someone to "accidentally" take something home they shouldn't, and then quietly return it, and no one ever hears about it? Or, even worse, how much classified info do you think is currently sitting around in various locked old offices or storage units, because someone innocently but wrongly took it, and then forgot about it, and no one has noticed yet?

Top secret documents were found in Biden's former office. A US Attorney appointed by Trump has been assigned to investigate.

No idea if they are TS "only" or higher. I will trust the US attorney handles the investigation well. If the documents are more than Top Secret, Biden may need relieved of command. There are documents that there is no excuse for having.

I know you come down hard on mishandling of classified info, but setting aside the judgments, in your estimation, how common is it for someone to make mistakes like this? We hear about it when the case is about someone "important" or when the person caught gets serious punishment, but what about the stuff we don't hear? How common is it for someone to "accidentally" take something home they shouldn't, and then quietly return it, and no one ever hears about it? Or, even worse, how much classified info do you think is currently sitting around in various locked old offices or storage units, because someone innocently but wrongly took it, and then forgot about it, and no one has noticed yet?
This is what I too want to know. What’s more what is the purpose in absconding with them if it was intentional? To do what?

Very much not common in the military. We’re sticklers about it. I’ve long thought Congress persons were lax about it, but didn’t think Presidents and VPs would be. They have lots of people that should be keeping them from being lax about it.

This is what I too want to know. What’s more what is the purpose in absconding with them if it was intentional? To do what?
I highly doubt Biden or Trump put any of these documents where they ended up with any malicious intent. Biden was probably taking some work relevant to one of his assigned duties to his office, and Trump probably just told the movers to "take everything in this room and put it in boxes for Florida."

Very much not common in the military. We’re sticklers about it. I’ve long thought Congress persons were lax about it, but didn’t think Presidents and VPs would be. They have lots of people that should be keeping them from being lax about it.
See, I would take the opposite view. I'd predict Presidents and Veeps would mostly be just as lackadaisical as Congress, unless they had proper training, or the proper temperament. I bet Obama never played loose with classified docs, for example. He just seems like the kind of guy who would be anal about it.

Phone issues. It’s raining out here, which is the equivalent of the Buffalo blizzard to Californian’s and the infrastructure.😂
Hope you're staying safe. Getting pics from family and friends over the last couple of weeks and the amount of flooding is crazy.

Reactions: Morrison
I do not think it was intentional. Hence why I do not care unless it is really critical. If someone carries home the names of spies in the USSR in 1940, oh well. Those people are all dead. Someone carries home the names of spies in China today, that is not a very forgivable mistake.

It’s not that bad at all from my view, but I grew up in Indiana where bad weather is bad weather.
We're currently planning a visit from one of Mrs hooky's girlfriends from Alameda. She grew up in SoCal, acclimated to NorCal, and I'm over here trying to figure out how much beer she can pack without paying for an overweight checked bag.

Glad to hear you're in a good spot.

• Love
Reactions: Morrison and larsIU
I highly doubt Biden or Trump put any of these documents where they ended up with any malicious intent. Biden was probably taking some work relevant to one of his assigned duties to his office, and Trump probably just told the movers to "take everything in this room and put it in boxes for Florida."
You really wouldn't be able to judge intent much without having a good idea of what is in the documents. So it is likely none of us will ever be able to judge that.

As far as this goes, it should be a hand slap and getting drug through the mud over how dumb it is to do this. Then the documents get re-secured and we move on. Hillary has set the standard and if nothing happened to her, I don't see how you can go after a former and sitting President.

Everybody is worried about documents but skipping over the most puzzling part of the story...Joe Biden had a Think Tank?
th_coffee.gif

As far as this goes, it should be a hand slap and getting drug through the mud over how dumb it is to do this. Then the documents get re-secured and we move on. Hillary has set the standard and if nothing happened to her, I don't see how you can go after a former and sitting President.

There it is. This is why I'm so mad. This gets Trump off the hook.

Not everything has to revolve around Trump. Sandy Berger was stuffing documents into his pants decades ago at this point. He plead guilty to a misdemeanor for intententionally destroying classified documents and his punishment was a $10k fine and he lost his security clearance for 3 years. For intentionally destroying documents.

Hillary had the emails. Trump had his documents. Biden has his. I am willing to bet that this happens quite often unfortunately and we never hear about it. Nothing happened to Hillary, nothing was going to happen to Trump, and nothing will happen to Biden.

I’ll defer to aloha re the gravity of this stuff but until corrected I’m with crazy and it just seems like more bs. More distractions. Get inflation sorted. Put a punch in clock in stay at home Pete’s office so transportation and supplies improve, stop bothering Biden. He’s finally at the border. Let him sort out how to get these baristas across and employed. I’m on a 16/8 fasting diet like Jennifer Aniston and so many other celebs. Tea and coffee are vital. I can’t spend a ****ing hour in sbx every time I go.

Enough bullshit. Make our everyday lives better

We're currently planning a visit from one of Mrs hooky's girlfriends from Alameda. She grew up in SoCal, acclimated to NorCal, and I'm over here trying to figure out how much beer she can pack without paying for an overweight checked bag.

Glad to hear you're in a good spot.
PLINY!

I’ll defer to aloha re the gravity of this stuff but until corrected I’m with crazy and it just seems like more bs. More distractions. Get inflation sorted. Put a punch in clock in stay at home Pete’s office so transportation and supplies improve, stop bothering Biden. He’s finally at the border. Let him sort out how to get these baristas across and employed. I’m on a 16/8 fasting diet like Jennifer Aniston and so many other celebs. Tea and coffee are vital. I can’t spend a ****ing hour in sbx every time I go.

Enough bullshit.
It isn't BS. It is a problem. That being said, nothing is going to happen to the bigger politicians. The Sandy Berger case was about as egregious as you can get short of handing classified info to a foreign power and he got a slap on the wrist. In the case of Biden and Trump and Hillary, they all make the mea culpa and go about their merry way.

If we want to crack down on this, we need a clean slate and then something set into law going forward that would indicate how we deal with everyone in these instances. Like in the case of Uncle Mark, it appears he was more interested in getting Trump (that may not be right but it is how you come off) than he is actually concerned about classified info getting out. Personally, I think all of these guys/gals would have been in much more trouble if they were a regular old GS employee...but we almost always make distinctions between the rank and file and the political employees, I think if you are going to change that you need to codify it better. Otherwise it looks like a "Get Trump" or "Get Biden" endeavor.

It isn't BS. It is a problem. That being said, nothing is going to happen to the bigger politicians. The Sandy Berger case was about as egregious as you can get short of handing classified info to a foreign power and he got a slap on the wrist. In the case of Biden and Trump and Hillary, they all make the mea culpa and go about their merry way.

If we want to crack down on this, we need a clean slate and then something set into law going forward that would indicate how we deal with everyone in these instances. Like in the case of Uncle Mark, it appears he was more interested in getting Trump (that may not be right but it is how you come off) than he is actually concerned about classified info getting out. Personally, I think all of these guys/gals would have been in much more trouble if they were a regular old GS employee...but we almost always make distinctions between the rank and file and the political employees, I think if you are going to change that you need to codify it better. Otherwise it looks like a "Get Trump" or "Get Biden" endeavor.
Right but I presume no one on the general schedule gets that info. I honestly shouldn’t comment bc I don’t know anything about classified docs. That said applying a modicum of common sense inasmuch as it has occurred with both Biden and trump I suspect the frequency of this is more than we realize and only now comes to light with the advent of 24/7 gotcha news. I’m tired of gotcha everything. That was my point with bs. Gotcha politics rarely inures to the benefit of the masses. I bet this wasn’t a Biden or trump issue but an administrative, logistics flub

Right but I presume no one on the general schedule gets that info. I honestly shouldn’t comment bc I don’t know anything about classified docs. That said applying a modicum of common sense inasmuch as it has occurred with both Biden and trump I suspect the frequency of this is more than we realize and only now comes to light with the advent of 24/7 gotcha news. I’m tired of gotcha everything. That was my point with bs. Gotcha politics rarely inures to the benefit of the masses. I bet this wasn’t a Biden or trump issue but an administrative, logistics flub
Obama frantically looking in every box right now.

Edit: Also, pretty lame for an 8,000th post but oh well, will update after work.

There are likely people on the GS or in the military that are preparing that info for the President and staff at some level. They don't likely get it accumulated like the President would, but it isn't just political appointees pulling and accumulating data, it is civilians and military personnel in places like the Pentagon and State Department.

No doubt. People who wanted Trump removed from the Oval by special agents will be interesting to keep an eye on.

I don't think either of the trump impeachments were about his stealing of classified info which became an issue as he was already leaving the oval office.

I think it was the Ukraine quid pro quo and then jan 6 that led to people wanting him removed from the oval office.

Anyway, Biden SHOULD get in trouble for his stealing/mishandling of documents, just like Trump should have gotten in trouble for what he did and what he is still doing.

• Haha
Reactions: NOMORENIT and DANC
Is there a different a hit and stop and a hit and run?

Police think so.

DOJ thinks Trump is still hiding documents
Yeah there would be one additional charge for running but everything else would be the same.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Yeah there would be one additional charge for running but everything else would be the same.

That was my point. Both are bad, both should have repercussions but one should get more severe repercussions than the other given the circumstances.

We're visiting the outlaws maybe 15 years ago and doing a weekend side trip to Calistoga via Santa Rosa. I want to go see if I can meet Vinny at the original brewery. It was just dumb luck that we were there for the Pliny release. I could not have planned it any better if I had tried, though Mrs. hooky still thinks I knew what I was doing. Never got to meet Vinny, but I didn't care. Wifey drove the rest of the way to Calistoga and I just drank water at every winery we visited the next day.

Back in the 80s, I entered one for Omni Magazine. I suggested humans naturally live forever, but governments realized that humans living hundreds of years get disgruntled with their government, so governments invented "medicine" to actually keep lifespan short.

I suspect that will now catch on. I was ahead of my time

He has already started two threads on the vaccine causing death. Please, don't give Adolph any more ideas.

I love that every McMurtry economic complaint ends up back at SBux. So great.

Deets on the diet. I need to lose 10 lbs

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT