ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen Special

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
It took a lot to lose that game against a terrible team. You needed a secondary that could not cover anybody and could not tackle anybody. You needed the QB who has been great to suddenly not be able to throw the ball. You needed the refs to miss a blatant holding call, miss an interference call and then you needed a receiver miscommunication followed by a bizarre intentional grounding call. I have to think Allen got everybody together before the game to orchestrate this, but you could not execute it any other way. It must have taken planning.

P.S. I forgot you needed a missed field goal and an interception that gets fumbled.

It took a lot to lose that game against a terrible team. You needed a secondary that could not cover anybody and could not tackle anybody. You needed the QB who has been great to suddenly not be able to throw the ball. You needed the refs to miss a blatant holding call, miss an interference call and then you needed a receiver miscommunication followed by a bizarre intentional grounding call. I have to think Allen got everybody together before the game to orchestrate this, but you could not execute it any other way. It must have taken planning.
The moron should have attempted the field goal before going for it on fourth down.

P.S. I forgot you needed a missed field goal and an interception that gets fumbled.
Fumbled interception, so typical.

Reactions: dr.jb and Vern Pain
The moron should have attempted the field goal before going for it on fourth down.
That was a very unusual decision. I didn't see the upside.

Except I guess another chance to go for the win to the endzone. Which we achieved, really. Should of , would've, been a TD.

Pom Pom Tom looks a lot like Lynch when he’s having a temper tantrum

Nah. Getting the 4th down could have gotten us closer. Also if the receiver had run the right route, we might have gotten a TD, as he would have been 1 on 1.

Obviously all of these player and ref mistakes are Allen's fault.

Skipping the FG is a risky move, if there were more time left I would have been more in favor of it, tough when you will only get two plays after it. Wish they would have made that decision during MSUs timeout, not having to use one of their own. Have 2 TOs and 18 seconds, would have change the play calls.

If the MSU Defender wasn't holding on to EJs arm the whole way down the field, it is a TD and we win.

Ifs and butts...

Reactions: Mr.IU and 76-1
Nah. Getting the 4th down could have gotten us closer. Also if the receiver had run the right route, we might have gotten a TD, as he would have been 1 on 1.
Or we could have fumbled, not got the yardage, thrown an interception, or had a penalty. Or we could have attempted a 45 yard kick. The risk was greater than the potential benefit. We just barely got the yard needed.

Reactions: bang63

Skipping the FG is a risky move, if there were more time left I would have been more in favor of it, tough when you will only get two plays after it. ...
That was the thing. Very weird with so little time left...

Gives a shot at the endzone, is about all we gain if we make it.

What could go wrong?

I wonder if Tom Allen ever considers that calmly getting your special teams out there, when your long snapper expects it, kicker expects it, can focus, can put a good determined boot on it. Team blocking all ready, tight.

May be, just maybe, a little better than feeling a little out of sorts, uncertain, maybe feel rushed. Just to try to be tricky and sneak in a couple yards and one chance at the end zone.

That was the thing. Very weird with so little time left...

Gives a shot at the endzone, is about all we gain if we make it.

What could go wrong?
And he was going for the win, but that extra timeout would have helped them before the shot at the endzone, clarify what the route should be with pressure.

FYI, the TE (Walker/Bomba), wide open down the middle on that play, but much harder throw down the middle then to the sideline.

Only Opie Allen would ice his own kicker twice in the same game.
All these people thinking Opie can be successful with better assistants: no effing way. He’s the head guy and he’s a bumbling idiot who loses to interim coaches and in programs in disarray. Just an awful, awful head coach. The coach has no football IQ and his teams are a reflection of him.

Fire this guy. Absolute trainwreck. .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT