ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket sales

JWilk1234

Recruit
Sep 4, 2017
There are still lots of tickets available for the Idaho game. I was always a "if we win the fans will come" guy, but it looks like I may have to eat those words. Does anyone know how likely it is to sell that many tickets in the next month?

Reactions: vesuvius13
There are still lots of tickets available for the Idaho game. I was always a "if we win the fans will come" guy, but it looks like I may have to eat those words. Does anyone know how likely it is to sell that many tickets in the next month?
Out-of-conference and geographically distant Idaho is the least attractive game on the schedule. We'll have 50,000 for Cincinnati and Ohio State, and big crowds for the other conference home games as well.

P.S. If anyone who is reading this has anything to do with the iuhoosiers.com website, you'll want to change the entry on the schedule that indicates tickets for the Idaho game are "from $318."

Last edited:

Out-of-conference and geographically distant Idaho is the least attractive game on the schedule. We'll have 50,000 for Cincinnati and Ohio State, and big crowds for the other conference home games as well.

If I'm able to swing it, Idaho is the game I'll most likely be able to afford. I don't care that it's not a marquee game against a strong opponent. In fact, if it's going to be the one and only game I'm able to attend, a good strong showing without much concern about the outcome could just be more fun than some tension filled outing where the outcome isn't known until the end.

Cincy and OSU are close to selling out. I don’t know why people don’t seem to want to go to a night game home opener, but it is high school band day like another poster said, so that will help. The entire NW corner is sold.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IU selling out B1G games and "big" games is the next step in the evolution that they'll hit this year.

Consistently selling out an early season game against a school like Idaho would be the final step in fan interest. I wouldn't read too much into it. The best thing we've got going for ticket sales is that it's a night game so it won't be oppressively hot to drive people away.

I'm guessing some aren't going to games in person because of covid so I think the unusual circumstances may be effecting sales to some degree.

Exactly!!!
Supply and demand. A $45+ ticket selling for "$20" on the secondary market tells you everything you need to know. Every school deals with this for these games. Personally I have season tickets and cant/won't attend this game and can't find someone to take my tickets. Looking at 4 seats unfilled.

Ultimately its a game where we dominate and its boring...or it's close and disappointing.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Supply and demand. A $45+ ticket selling for "$20" on the secondary market tells you everything you need to know. Every school deals with this for these games. Personally I have season tickets and cant/won't attend this game and can't find someone to take my tickets. Looking at 4 seats unfilled.

Ultimately its a game where we dominate and its boring...or it's close and disappointing.
I could fill them for you if you'd like.

Boring? I’m not gonna pass up a day of tailgating and watching my favorite team play my favorite sport. I will never understand your attitude. Game days are a blast.

We just bought two tickets today for the Idaho game.
We would love to get season tickets but it’s just not feasible right now. We have one son that is a junior playing football every Friday night and two sons, one in K and the other in 2nd grade, that have flag football every Saturday.
We try to make one IU game every year but wish it was every home game. One day perhaps.

Supply and demand. A $45+ ticket selling for "$20" on the secondary market tells you everything you need to know. Every school deals with this for these games. Personally I have season tickets and cant/won't attend this game and can't find someone to take my tickets. Looking at 4 seats
But it’s the first in person game in sports in a year and a half. Our first opportunity to support and congratulate the guys from last year. I for one, cannot wait. And I’m a little glad it’s one I don’t have to worry much about.

I'm going to the Idaho game. The biggest issue with going wasn't tickets, but hotel rooms.

We wanted to make a weekend of it because we live 2.5 hours away, and it's our anniversary weekend. I understand economics, but there is no chance every hotel room in Bloomington is going to sell out at the price range they have set.

A room that is $130 on a normal weekend is 3 to 4 times higher on the Idaho game weekend. We found one in Columbus for a normal price and are staying there.

I'm going to the Idaho game. The biggest issue with going wasn't tickets, but hotel rooms.

We wanted to make a weekend of it because we live 2.5 hours away, and it's our anniversary weekend. I understand economics, but there is no chance every hotel room in Bloomington is going to sell out at the price range they have set.

A room that is $130 on a normal weekend is 3 to 4 times higher on the Idaho game weekend. We found one in Columbus for a normal price and are staying there.
I can agree with this. We often rent buses to take large groups down and back home because its more cost effective than the hotel offerings in Bloomington. That is certainly a big hinderance.

As far as fan support, its never been a question of win today and the fans will be there tomorrow. It means, win, show you're a winning program and fans will eventually fill in. I went to the Colts vs. Bengals game Peyton's second season and there wasn't a human within 10 yards of me. Mind you, the Colts were on their way to a 13-3 season. That was in a major city and it still took a couple seasons before the small RCA Dome started consistently selling out. So it's not a light switch. If IU has another great season, then suddenly Bloomington is the place to be on Saturdays and that will generate new fans.

Season ticket sales are up 27% and two games are nearly sold out. Me thinks some people see “Idaho” and simply ignore it.
And this is the reason why recruiting will eventually fade again and will maybe be the reason Coach Tom Allen leaves. Hopefully I am wrong on both accounts. But it has been amazing what this staff has accomplished with the lack of fan support.

Reactions: ESalum86
Idaho isn’t even our division anymore. Don’t schedule Idaho’s for good grief. I’m 25 minutes from the stadium and don’t even want to waste my time on it.

Anyone mad about the Cincy game is a compete moron. We’ve waited literal ages to be on this stage. I have tickets for 9 games this year. So yeah, not too excited about Idaho. I get needing a tuneup game or an easy W, but let’s at least schedule Bowl Subdivision teams!!!

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Idaho isn’t even our division anymore. Don’t schedule Idaho’s for good grief. I’m 25 minutes from the stadium and don’t even want to waste my time on it.
We have Iowa the week before and Cincy a week after. When you play 9 conference games and play in one of the best divisions in all of P5, you absolutely have to have a game in the mix early where you can get/keep guys rested and healed and focus on your own team's improvement. Ideally, we should have two home games like this. Having WKy on the road makes a game like Idaho even more important.

This whole ticket sales thing is a slow mountain to climb. Always has been. Always will be. Back in 2002 there were maybe 20,000 of us at games. It’s a slow slog for sure. Losing the bowl game hurt. I’m sure to many it was a “see, told you so” moment. That being said, keep going and in another 10 years the place is sold out for every game. Hard to do but that’s what’ll happen.

Anyone mad about the Cincy game is a compete moron. We’ve waited literal ages to be on this stage. I have tickets for 9 games this year. So yeah, not too excited about Idaho. I get needing a tuneup game or an easy W, but let’s at least schedule Bowl Subdivision teams!!!
They were FBS when we scheduled the game. They dropped down to FCS after the contracts were signed. I’ll be there.

Reactions: ESalum86
The “if we win they will come” crowd doesn’t buy tickets in the summer. They will decide Wednesday that they should drive down Saturday and buy at the gate.
Absolutely correct. Beat Iowa and there will be a rush for tickets for the Idaho game.

Reactions: td75

I reserved a 3BR AirBnb house for $150 per night, Friday and Saturday nights for the Idaho game.

Keep checking - there are a lot of last-minutes cancelations. And look farther out in Brown County and Columbus or even Bedford.

There are literally Air BnB’s in Bedford for 30-40 bucks a night…ones in my neighborhood. Highly doubt they’re jacked up for IU games.

HA! Not anymore. They’re all up around $100 now. Still…better than a hotel.

There are literally Air BnB’s in Bedford for 30-40 bucks a night…ones in my neighborhood. Highly doubt they’re jacked up for IU games.

HA! Not anymore. They’re all up around $100 now. Still…better than a hotel.
We looked at Air BnBs several times over a few weeks and the only reasonably priced were rooms in houses or what was essentially i -law quarters. We must not have been looking at the right time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT